Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
pistolshit
May 15, 2004

I notice you say in the FAQ that roads will be customizable. Can you go into any more detail on what you mean? It would be really cool if you could essentially build a road out of a kit of parts either in plan view or as a cross section. Something like the below image. Where you could maybe drag and drop things like drive lanes, bike lanes, medians, Right-of-way(to allow for future expansion), planting strips, side walks, etc. And then make them wider or narrower based on your preference. Certain aspects of the road could then inform what kind of buildings pop up. Wide lanes and no side walk creates out-lot style commercial, narrower lanes with a bike lane and a wide sidewalk would create something akin to new urbanism or traditional development, etc.

Then again, only city-planning nerds might really be interested in that level of granularity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pistolshit
May 15, 2004

I don't remember this being mentioned, but is it possible to have a planning layer or a system of laying down proposed roads, zones or buildings. That's the one thing that always bugged me about Sim City is that you couldn't really play around with geometries without paying for something. It would be nice if you could choose to say a new road is just "proposed", lay it down for free and then if you decide you don't like it you can move it or delete it or make it wider, etc. And then eventually when you're happy with the layout or when the city expands enough you click on it and change it from proposed to real and it builds out. Everything proposed could just be like 30% opacity or something.

Probably just my planner/urban designer instinct, but I think it would be a lot of fun to mess with the proposed stuff as the city evolves.

pistolshit
May 15, 2004

The most ridiculous thing I ever realized about parking was when I was doing some planning work in the suburbs and they had a zoning requirement for 1 parking space per 300 sqft of office or retail (which isn't uncommon.) Seems ok, until you realize that a typical surface parking space takes up (including isles, etc.) 350 sqft. So by law we're dedicating more raw lot square footage for cars than we are people. So dumb.

pistolshit
May 15, 2004

That post reminds me a lot of the Lincoln Institute of Land Policy's Visualizing Density site.

http://www.lincolninst.edu/subcente...lizing-density/

Everyone should at least take the quiz. You might be surprised by the results.

pistolshit
May 15, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

After following your livestreams and updates and general system of programming you've inspired me to try my hand at a simple java city builder, well more of a region builder. If I ever get it off the ground I'll make a thread and welcome you writing 10 pages on why this or that pet feature of yours absolutely needs to be in my game.

No roads, no buildings, barely any graphics, just tiles and masses of spreadsheets to simulate the economic, demographic, and political landscape of your region.

Don't know if you've ever heard of SLUETH, but it's sort of a real world attempt to do what I think you're talking about on the spatial side. I played around with it back in the day and it was kind of interesting but hard to use. Looks like it's been rebranded as Project Gigopolis.

http://www.ncgia.ucsb.edu/projects/gig/

• Locked thread