Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Brannock posted:

For the sweet title, bro.

The level 27 titles are the worst, though!

(Sole exception: level 27 Staves)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Haha is the short blades level 27 title really "politician", as it says on the wiki?

"La petite mort" kind of owns too.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

Jeffrey posted:

Haha is the short blades level 27 title really "politician", as it says on the wiki?
I feel like I'm missing something obvious here, why would it be that?

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Being adept at stabbing people in the back is a skill that will get you far in politics.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Jeffrey posted:

"La petite mort" kind of owns too.

Yes.

Also 27 staves is chief of staff, and there's a couple of other good ones which I don't remember anymore.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

LogicNinja posted:

No master battlefield warrior is going to choose a short blade, so who would? They seem suited for backstabbing, assassinating, intimidating, bingo!

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

Sojenus posted:

Being adept at stabbing people in the back is a skill that will get you far in politics.

Oh, I was reaching for a reference of some kind. "Because... Brutus stabbed Caesar...?"

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Politician was cannibalized by Short Blades when Stabbing was brutally murdered in 0.13 release.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

LogicNinja posted:

the glow
May 31, 2009
:siren: less than thirty minutes to go!!

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Right when the UFC card is wrapping up, this is like the perfectly timed day.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

the glow posted:

:siren: less than thirty minutes to go!!
Oooh, you playing?

Also, I wish I had booked this afternoon off work. I'm such a nerd.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
15 minutes until go time! I hope I can get killed by a D:1 Zot trap again. :shepface:

the glow
May 31, 2009

odiv posted:

Oooh, you playing?

No, just going to watch. Still exciting though!

Viashino_wizard
Mar 26, 2010

Consider my interest piqued.

Not My Leg posted:

I don't really care about the difference between mindelay at 24 and mindelay at 26, because I'm probably taking my weapon skill to 27 anyway.

This is usually a bad idea unless you have a really high aptitude, are a berserker (and thus have very few skills to worry about), or are doing a 15-rune run. Going from 22 to 27 in a skill takes the same amount of experience as reaching 22 in the first place, if I'm remembering correctly.

Not My Leg posted:

Long Blades - Highest single target damage and digging allows you isolate single targets.
Axes - Almost as powerful as long blades, better if you aren't isolated against a single target.
Maces - Hydras suck. Also blessed demon whips are great, but you probably should have been a different race if you wanted to use 1-handed weapons anyway.
Pole-Arms - Probably the weirdest choice, but gives some interesting options with digging. If you can place a weak enemy between you and a horde of enemies, you can use reaching to pick the real threats off one at a time without allowing them to get in range.
Staves - Okay, I forgot that staves existed, but maybe a caster could make good use of a Lajatang with low weapon skill.
Short-Blades - FoEn?

The major strength of maces (besides dealing with hydras) is that they require less skill investment than other weapon classes. Great Maces have slightly less base damage than exec axes, claymores and bardiches, but they hit min delay at 20 skill instead of 26 (which is extremely significant). They also have amazing 1-hander weapons, but of course that's irrelevant to a Fo.

Staves have the same strength, but even more. Lajatangs have 1 less base damage than great maces while requiring only 14 skill for min delay. Also, staves are the only weapon type besides short blades that can have the Speed brand naturally (i.e. without being an artefact). To quote the Tavern: "A lajatang of speed is one of the best possible weapons and I would instantly cum if one dropped in my game." Quarterstaves are also the strongest basic weapon (which is why they're exclusive to Gladiators as starting equipment).

Polearm reaching is just really useful in general. Getting a free hit against anything closing to melee with you is super powerful.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Gonna try a Vine Stalker death knight. Once I get back into my groove though, its punch ant all the way.

Elyv posted:

Yes.

Also 27 staves is chief of staff, and there's a couple of other good ones which I don't remember anymore.

Archery has the best one. Its Merry Species Name. My first victory online was a Merry Octopus! :cthulhu:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

^^^ Translocations lets you be a plane walker, or in octopode's case, plane wriggler

Reaching also lets you kill melee stuff slower than you for almost 0 risk.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Tournament starting now!

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
And...

[13:00] Sequell Time: Apr 11, 2014, 08:00:23 PM, UTC. The 2014 0.14 tournament ends in 15 days, 23 hours, 59 minutes and 36 seconds.

We're off!

Godspeed, everyone.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

May the gods guide my spiked club into the faces of many.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Alright, time to win!

...or die on D:2 to a gnoll with a whip of electrocution.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Im so mad right now.

code:
_You finish putting on the +14 plate armour of Minor Irritation {rElec rPois Acc+2 Dam-8}.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

That one tiny little minor irritation.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Found this in a Bailey: the ring of Stresol {Regen Dam+4 SInv}

My little DsAE of Vehumet is just truckin' along.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

In all honesty? Because I'll forget that it's unfocused instead of turned off, and once I see that 26.2 how can I pass up going all the way to 27. You're supposed to throw good money after bad, right?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Still need to find a team , anyone have a spot? I can almost guarantee a MiBe haha

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Looks like Nergalle got bumped down the unique list. Just ran into her on D:10, which is way earlier than I'm used to seeing her. She might of been dangerous if I didn't have an entire army of zombies and flying skulls backing me up. Death's Door is really annoying when an enemy uses it though!

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

Lawman 0 posted:

Im so mad right now.

code:
_You finish putting on the +14 plate armour of Minor Irritation {rElec rPois Acc+2 Dam-8}.
Oh my goodness, that is beautiful.

odiv posted:

My little DsAE of Vehumet is just truckin' along.
Man how do you get one of those anywhere? Run up to Orc Priests and Static Discharge them?

DarthXaos
Oct 27, 2010
My first horrible death for team How to Die Horribly

I'm winning the worst score award with 3 points! woo!

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
Hey Lawman0, was that ghost I killed in Snake from the tourney or before?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

This is a really weird vault.

Also we're in 14th place currently with 351 points, Sigmund's Schadenfreude Squad! :toot:

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Apr 12, 2014

Smash Daisaku
Jul 12, 2008

Last Bet $15 on Player 1
Odds 807.1:1 ($1)
This might be a dumb question, but would a death in .14 interfere with a trunk win streak? I want to know one way or another before I dive into my games so I don't lose my streak.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Smash Daisaku posted:

This might be a dumb question, but would a death in .14 interfere with a trunk win streak?

Yeah, it would.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Firebatgyro posted:

Hey Lawman0, was that ghost I killed in Snake from the tourney or before?

code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.14.0-6-g1bc2dff (webtiles) character file.

101806 Lawman0 the Severer (level 16, -9/95 HPs)
             Began as a Vine Stalker Berserker on Apr 11, 2014.
             Was the Champion of Trog.
             Shot with an arrow by a naga sharpshooter (21 damage)
             ... on Level 3 of the Snake Pit.
             The game lasted 01:24:10 (24968 turns).

Lawman0 the Severer (Vine Stalker Berserker)       Turns: 24968, Time: 01:24:10

HP  -9/95        AC 23     Str 27      XL: 16   Next: 29%
MP   0/24        EV  7     Int  7      God: Trog [******]
Gold 732         SH  0     Dex 14      Spells:  0 memorised, 15 levels left

rFire  . . .     SeeInvis .     B - +0,+5 battleaxe (elec)
rCold  . . .     Clarity  .     d - +0 plate armour
rNeg   . . .     Conserve .     (no shield)
rPois  +         rCorr    .     C - +0 helmet
rElec  .         rRot     +     x - +0 cloak
SustAb . .       Spirit   +     e - +0 pair of gloves
rMut   .         Warding  .     y - +0 pair of boots
Saprov . . .     Stasis   .     O - amulet of faith
MR     ++++.                    E - ring of poison resistance
                                a - ring of protection from magic

@: regenerating, very slightly contaminated, incredibly resistant to hostile
enchantments, extremely unstealthy
A: fangs 3, yellow scales 1, regeneration 3, robust 1, magic shield, antimagic
bite, no device heal
a: Burn Spellbooks, Berserk, Trog's Hand, Brothers in Arms, Renounce Religion
You mean this guy because I was hoping to ascend him. :shepface:

SRG
Mar 21, 2001

Some Random Guy
Is team "how to die horribly" still in need of members? Or any other team for that matter. I'm willing to join if you want someone who isn't great, but who can fill a slot.

I've only been playing since I found out about the game through the recent LP thread, and I've never won a game. My current ongoing character has a shot at winning, but he is not eligible for the tournament, because I started him before the start of the tournament.

I previously wasn't going to worry about the tournament, because I didn't want to feel pressured to play "seriously". I tend to mess around with non-optimal characters, even though I'm not good enough at the game to succeed with them. But I've decided playing in a more competitive/optimal way might be fun, just for a short time. My current non-tourney character is a MiFi -- an optimal combo for once -- and the game is much easier that way. Keep in mind though that I am still not very good.

Anyway, I'll make an account on crawl.s-z.org (which is not my usual server, so as not to interrupt my current non-eligible game). The account name will be SRG. If anyone wants me on their team, I will put the required lines in my ini.

I will probably play fairly optimal combos and play to win. Still, don't add me if you expect an experienced/great player. I'll do my best to claim my first win during this tournament, but the most I can promise to contribute is "fills a slot" and "better than nothing".

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

SRG posted:

I previously wasn't going to worry about the tournament, because I didn't want to feel pressured to play "seriously". I tend to mess around with non-optimal characters, even though I'm not good enough at the game to succeed with them.
You don't really need to play entirely seriously, I've been playing as Felids half the time so far.
Also you get more points for more different species/background combinations.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Lawman 0 posted:

You mean this guy because I was hoping to ascend him. :shepface:

Yeah RIP him. My Orc Jesus however managed to get a 4 rune win to start off the tourney despite going down to 10hp in Zot and the most bullshit orb run I've ever had.

http://dobrazupa.org/morgue/Firebatgyro/morgue-Firebatgyro-20140412-001352.txt

I'm in 4th place now which I'm pretty certain is the highest I'll ever be

Edit: [a]lways [a]cquire we[a]pons-

N - the +10,+6 mithril axe "Arga" (weapon) {speed, MR+ Str+2}
(You acquired it on level 10 of the Dungeon)

Firebatgyro fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Apr 12, 2014

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Hellfire did me in, 55 damage all at once from a Sentinel in Dis. So much for first to 15 runes!

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Before today, I didn't know you could actually get OoD's stuck in perfect loops.

The more you know, I guess!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarthXaos
Oct 27, 2010
Another horrible death. Got flanked by Duvessa from the side and then pinned between her and Dowan/pack of orcs

• Locked thread