Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

RC and Moon Pie posted:

It's had a Fargo the movie meets Needful Things vibe to me. Especially given the synopsis that was included in the OP:

poo poo, I knew BBT remided me of someone/something. He's bloody Randall Flagg isn't he?

Anyway, that was brilliant. Much like True Detective, I wish I had the patience to save all the episodes for a binge watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^
Pretty good pilot. Billy Bob Thornton and Martin Freeman as leads is awesome, and there's some other big names in there too.

And if you've never watched Fargo make it a point to! Superb film (I'm a little sorry they couldn't reuse the exact theme music because that was great too) and it may introduce you to the riveting, silly, enchanting offbeat style of film of the Coen brothers. It was also based on a true story.

ricro
Dec 22, 2008

Spiky Ooze posted:

It was also based on a true story.

Not really, though, the opening about it being a true story is just to give it that little extra pulp atmosphere

malleusmalefic
Jan 1, 2014
Thought this was an incredibly solid pilot. If the entire season keeps up this level of quality, we are definitely looking at one of the great TV shows to be remembered.

CesiumCanoe
Oct 9, 2012

Oh ya
As a fan of the movie (obviously), I was equal parts excited and apprehensive when this show was first announced but after watching the pilot I'm sold. This show is so Coen Brothers it's crazy and can't wait to see how the rest of this "10-hour film" plays out!

Random thoughts:
-I had wondered if anyone could out-sad-sack William H. Macy but Martin Freeman is doing a great job so far
-First impressions of Lester: combination of Jerry Lundegaard + Larry Gopnik
-Now I know how to pronounce Bemidji!
-I lost my poo poo when Lester kept saying "Aww jeez" while beating Pearl to death (one of many times I told the husband "oh my god this is such a Coen Brothers show")
-More Bob Odenkirk please (if only for more shots of the goofy mustache)
-Also would like to see more of the dumb Hess kids
-Got a bit of a Biff Tannen vibe from Sam Hess
-Colin Hanks is REALLY cranking up the accent but somehow I'm OK with this

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I don't know how geometrically accurate they were trying to get that shot, but for someone like me who's been to Duluth half a dozen times, it seemed believable. One thing I associate with being down by the lake is all the random industrial areas, so having a random industrial area with the lift bridge in the background "makes sense".
I've lived in Duluth almost all my life so my mind is trying to reconcile a location I know really well being represented slightly incorrect. This must be how New Yorkers feel when they watch Law and Order.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

SlipkPIe posted:

Not really, though, the opening about it being a true story is just to give it that little extra pulp atmosphere

Why are you spoilering it. Half of the fun of that movie is how people take that line for granted and don't realize until years later. It's amazing.

thehacker0
Mar 19, 2014

Loved the first episode. Seems like a promising, and unique style of show. I plan to watch the film this weekend - is the quirky, comedic violence feel from the show based on the movie? It really felt reminiscent of Burn After Reading, but definitely different from some of their more violent work like No Country for Old Men

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Other than a general more "modern" feeling that comes from being made 18 years later, and perhaps the movie being a little slower-paced, they really nailed the tone.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

thehacker0 posted:

Loved the first episode. Seems like a promising, and unique style of show. I plan to watch the film this weekend - is the quirky, comedic violence feel from the show based on the movie?

It is, for the most part. When they initially kidnap the wife in the movie it's sort of a comedic moment albeit horrific because it's a woman running around crazed because she's afraid for her life. I refuse to put spoilers on plot points for an iconic movie though I guess I don't want to spoil it for those who haven't seen it, either, but the entire feel of the movie is slow and surreal and so the violence in it barely seems real. I think some of that is added to by Margie having a really matter-of-fact approach to everything.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Debbie Metallica posted:

It is, for the most part. When they initially kidnap the wife in the movie it's sort of a comedic moment albeit horrific because it's a woman running around crazed because she's afraid for her life. I refuse to put spoilers on plot points for an iconic movie though I guess I don't want to spoil it for those who haven't seen it, either, but the entire feel of the movie is slow and surreal and so the violence in it barely seems real. I think some of that is added to by Margie having a really matter-of-fact approach to everything.

I had kind of a similar experience with Fargo but reversed. The whole town felt idyllic, like Pleasantville. So after the scene on the highway towards the beginning I was on the edge of my seat, more or less terrified the entire time. I felt like these two psychos were from some other world, and they didn't belong in the same one as Margie, I was very scared for her. So the violence felt very real to me, too real. That's what made it one of the more disturbing films I've seen.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

So, Billy Bob is literally the devil, right? Or am I missing some non-supernatural explanation for disappearing from the basement and then knowing all that stuff about the cop.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

greatn posted:

What do you think made Thornton's character take an interest in Nygaard? I felt like maybe he somehow identifies with the weak for some reason, but then he purposefully got the minimum wage hotel lobby boy in trouble just for his own amusement. I'm wondering what his deal is, and why he would choose to help a loser like Nygaard twice, for free.

So far, I think the best indication of Malvo's motivation is mirrored in his very first scene with the deer. In both instances an accidental run in leads to violence and death. He seems to display some cold sympathy to both the deer and Nygaard. Just like he doesn't really help the deer by placing it in the trunk, he isn't really helping Nygaard by skull knifing the bully.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

So, Billy Bob is literally the devil, right? Or am I missing some non-supernatural explanation for disappearing from the basement and then knowing all that stuff about the cop.

Fargo is not a supernatural story. He just snuck out of the basement because he's wily, and he knew the cop had a kid because he heard the kid's voice on the walkie six inches from his face. Being observant is not a magic power.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Fargo is not a supernatural story. He just snuck out of the basement because he's wily, and he knew the cop had a kid because he heard the kid's voice on the walkie six inches from his face. Being observant is not a magic power.

There's also knowing where Lester hid the shotgun, though I guess he could have been spying on Lester from somewhere. Honestly don't think that wily covers it, given that there is no other exit from the basement seems to exist, except the too small window. Maybe he hid inside the washing machine?

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog

LostRook posted:

So far, I think the best indication of Malvo's motivation is mirrored in his very first scene with the deer. In both instances an accidental run in leads to violence and death. He seems to display some cold sympathy to both the deer and Nygaard. Just like he doesn't really help the deer by placing it in the trunk, he isn't really helping Nygaard by skull knifing the bully.

I haven't seen this mentioned but I'm about 90% sure he was supposed to kill that guy anyway. He acts surprised when Nygaard tells him the bully's name is Sam, both Sam and Malvo have underworld connections, and Malvo tells that guy on the phone that the job is done, but he had to take a "personal" detour. I think he kills Sam after he says this, but I assumed that Malvo saying the job is done was just a lie (he seems confident enough in his ability to kill people), and the detour was whatever happened with the guy who wound up in the trunk at the beginning.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

The job was probably the dude in the trunk.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

LostRook posted:

Let me guess, you've never run into a deer. Because it makes no sense to compare hitting a deer, a statistical event that happens equally to anyone who drives a car in rural Minnesota1, and Malvo's very deliberate choice after talking with Nygaard to go and kill a man in a premeditated fashion. It seems to make much more sense to consider putting the deer in the trunk an effort to throw the cops off the trail, e.g. if there was blood from the guy in the trunk then putting the deer in there might fool an unobservant cop into thinking it's all deer blood.

1 This is because deer are stupid and run in front of cars, thus very often it is impossible for even a perfect driver to avoid a collision.

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Apr 17, 2014

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Let me guess, you've never run into a deer. Because it makes no sense to compare hitting a deer, a statistical event that happens equally to anyone who drives a car in rural Minnesota1, and Malvo's very deliberate choice after talking with Nygaard to go and kill a man in a premeditated fashion. It seems to make much more sense to consider putting the deer in the trunk an effort to throw the cops off the trail, e.g. if there was blood from the guy in the trunk then putting the deer in there might fool an unobservant cop into thinking it's all deer blood.

1 This is because deer are stupid and run in front of cars, thus very often it is impossible for even a perfect driver to avoid a collision.

Excepting the fact that this is deliberate narrative and they both constitute meetings by chance, you have a point. I still disagree.

I considered that he may have placed the deer in the trunk to obfuscate panty man's transport, but it doesn't really hold up. The blood on the dash, lack of head wound on panty man, lack of prints, difficulty moving the deer and the fact it would make no sense for panty man to put the deer in the trunk. Honestly, putting the deer in the trunk would be the most difficult and least logical method of coverup. I suppose it is possible he is a concussed killer who half-assed a plan and thinks VERY little of the cops, but I think it's more likely he felt something for the deer whatever that may have been.

I think Nygaard is essentially comparable deer in the headlights or the wild. Sometimes they do nothing, sometimes they run and sometimes they end up on "When Animals Attack"

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The rifle wasn't hidden, it was just tucked around a corner. Being observant is not a magic power. The "job" was the dude in the trunk. It was "done" because Malvo could be pretty sure he was dead after running off naked into the snowy woods. And he put the deer in the trunk to provide a plausible reason for it to be full of bloodstains.

This is going to be the Perry Bible Fellowship of TVIV shows isn't it. Could you all please let go of Lost or whatever it was broke your brains and stop acting like TV shows are trying to double-cross you?

LostRook posted:

Excepting the fact that this is deliberate narrative and they both constitute meetings by chance, you have a point. I still disagree.

I considered that he may have placed the deer in the trunk to obfuscate panty man's transport, but it doesn't really hold up. The blood on the dash, lack of head wound on panty man, lack of prints, difficulty moving the deer and the fact it would make no sense for panty man to put the deer in the trunk. Honestly, putting the deer in the trunk would be the most difficult and least logical method of coverup. I suppose it is possible he is a concussed killer who half-assed a plan and thinks VERY little of the cops, but I think it's more likely he felt something for the deer whatever that may have been.

I think Nygaard is essentially comparable deer in the headlights or the wild. Sometimes they do nothing, sometimes they run and sometimes they end up on "When Animals Attack"

This is not CSI. Not every murder story is a forensics story.

Seriously how do you people watch anything at all. You can't even tell what genre you're looking at.

Tiny Brontosaurus fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Apr 17, 2014

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

The rifle wasn't hidden, it was just tucked around a corner. Being observant is not a magic power. The "job" was the dude in the trunk. It was "done" because Malvo could be pretty sure he was dead after running off naked into the snowy woods. And he put the deer in the trunk to provide a plausible reason for it to be full of bloodstains.

Seriously how do you people watch anything at all. You can't even tell what genre you're looking at.

It was around a corner propped up in a bathroom, in a spot that wouldn't be easily visible outside the bathroom. Why would Malvo go searching through Nygaard's house with a cop in the house anyway? Malvo is clearly a surreal element here, not necessarily supernatural, but not exactly playing by the same rules as everyone else either.

I'm not arguing that this is CSI, but there is a difference between forensic mystery and basic logic mystery. Hitting the deer would have left evidence, how would it make any sense for the deer to be in the trunk? Also, who said there were bloodstains in the trunk to start with, I don't remember seeing any injuries on panty man at all.

I'm not arguing that this is Lost either, I'm arguing that this is closer to Hannibal or Pulp Fiction than the Wire in terms of strict reality. The surreal elements are front and center it's pretty hard to deny.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

LostRook posted:

It was around a corner propped up in a bathroom, in a spot that wouldn't be easily visible outside the bathroom. Why would Malvo go searching through Nygaard's house with a cop in the house anyway? Malvo is clearly a surreal element here, not necessarily supernatural, but not exactly playing by the same rules as everyone else either.

I'm not arguing that this is CSI, but there is a difference between forensic mystery and basic logic mystery. Hitting the deer would have left evidence, how would it make any sense for the deer to be in the trunk? Also, who said there were bloodstains in the trunk to start with, I don't remember seeing any injuries on panty man at all.

I'm not arguing that this is Lost either, I'm arguing that this is closer to Hannibal or Pulp Fiction than the Wire in terms of strict reality. The surreal elements are front and center it's pretty hard to deny.

If you're arguing that why are you sperging about the trunk?

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

LostRook posted:

Just like he doesn't really help the deer by placing it in the trunk, he isn't really helping Nygaard by skull knifing the bully.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

It seems to make much more sense to consider putting the deer in the trunk an effort to throw the cops off the trail, e.g. if there was blood from the guy in the trunk then putting the deer in there might fool an unobservant cop into thinking it's all deer blood.

I'm arguing that the deer in the trunk was symbolic/thematic character moment, I was "sperging" about the trunk to run down why it doesn't make any sense for it to be a logical cover-up move.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Deers are like ghosts. They appear out of nowhere and they make your blood pressure rise. If deers would just stop jaywalking like barbarians, our society wouldn't have to argue about why we tie dead deers to the hood of our cars or throw them in the trunk.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Supernatural?

the gently caress? No more :catdrugs: for that man. Seriously though, don't be a drat fool man

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I sort of wouldn't mind Marvo getting subtly less and less restrained by reality as the series goes on. He's playing the 'devil playing with living toys' part so well that stretching it a bit further wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

Could wind up being a pretty amazing character.

Desht
Oct 21, 2008
I don't know. I think Marvo works far better as a more relatable, realistic psychotic than a character like Hannibal, for example, who is far more symbolic. Both share a lot of similarities, but the stories they're in support them in different ways. Marvo is just a dude who likes loving with people and murdering some. I don't necessarily read "The Devil". And I think that works for this show. Its a boring old town in Minnesota, all it needs is someone who's a little on the insane side.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
I don't expect to see Marvo again for a long while.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Casimir Radon posted:

What little talk there has been about the production so far makes it seems likely. It looks like they CGI'd in the bridge into some area with a bunch of grain elevators. There are a lot of grain elevators in town but not over by the bridge.
Well from a certain angle I guess that could have worked.
See:

Colin Hanks was on the Rich Eisen podcast about a month ago and said it was all filmed in Canada, I want to say Manitoba but I'm not 100% on that part.

I wanted to hate it because I love the movie so much. Its that very rare thing, a truly great movie, and usually if you mess with that you can only gently caress it up. For the first 30 minutes I did hate it but the scene with Malvo in the garage is where it turned around for me and I liked it much better after that. I don't know if I quite love it yet, and I still don't understand why its necessary, but I'll keep watching because it has me interested.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
I dont care if the show is supernatural or not but Id also like to know whats up with the guy disappearing in the basement

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Heard Molly's car and climbed out a basement window?

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Cellar door.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

As someone else said a few posts back I did not expect this to escalate so quickly, haha. Great first episode, looking forward to seeing how it ends up.

nicknc33
Nov 17, 2013
What happened to the bag of clothes and hammer?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Fucker posted:

I dont care if the show is supernatural or not but Id also like to know whats up with the guy disappearing in the basement

He snuck out through a window or something after apparently taking the evidence that would directly tie Lester to Pearl's murder. Lester's facial expression when he walks down the stairs is more "Aww, Jeez" than total bewilderment at how Marvo got out. There is a tiny little production gently caress up in that scene, though. Marvo leans the gun against the basement door frame, but in the very next shot the gun is standing up straight.

Maybe the gun is the devil????

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I think it's kinda funny that he took all the evidence that would implicate Lester, but he didn't tell Lester what do to next (i.e. knock himself out). He let Lester figure that poo poo out on his own.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
I thought the movie was okay, but definitely overrated. I LOVED this though. Can't wait until the next episode.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Just watched it and loved it. I think I laughed the hardest when Nygaard ran headfirst into the wall.

Definitely getting some Anton Chigurh vibes from BBT's character, at least in the sense that he thinks he operates outside the rules we all live by and he's unaffected by them.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Hey, guys? His name's MALVO. With an "L," not an "R."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
I now refuse to refer to him as anything other than MARVO. Caps included.

We get a pretty good look at the basement in the episode, and unless there is a Shawshank-sized hole behind that poster the only possible exit is the window. I need to see it again but I'm not sure if it is actually large enough for a grown person to exit it. Even if it is, I think that the way it is presented along with the other surreal elements of MARVO support my reading.

He isn't magic but he doesn't follow the same rules either.

Mad Dragon posted:

The job was probably the dude in the trunk.

Also the tape he is listening to and the prominent metal briefcase I would guess.

LostRook fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Apr 18, 2014

• Locked thread