Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Didn't Lester run to the window, giving Malvo time to duck up the stairs and out the back...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I'm Marvo the Marvelous! Watch me disappear before your very eyes!

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
I think the best little touch for this episode was the red blood stain on the red fish on the poster in the basement after Nygaard headbutts it.

Paper Triangle posted:

I haven't seen this mentioned but I'm about 90% sure he was supposed to kill that guy anyway. He acts surprised when Nygaard tells him the bully's name is Sam, both Sam and Malvo have underworld connections, and Malvo tells that guy on the phone that the job is done, but he had to take a "personal" detour. I think he kills Sam after he says this, but I assumed that Malvo saying the job is done was just a lie (he seems confident enough in his ability to kill people), and the detour was whatever happened with the guy who wound up in the trunk at the beginning.

Malvo was tailing Sam Hess to the stripclub while he made that call, it could possibly have been an "It's done" as in, I'm about to finish the job, but the job was the Patton Oswalt-looking (I thought it was him at the start in the dark) guy in the boot of the car at the start.

If the mods want to change the title of the thread, feel free. We don't need the date or network in there anymore.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
this episode got me so pumped, told everyone at work today about this show, went and picked up the movie too which I've never seen. I don't think I've ever seen a pilot of something that hooked me like this ep did.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Rocksicles posted:

Didn't Lester run to the window, giving Malvo time to duck up the stairs and out the back...

He doesn't. I watched it again to be sure, he stands in place looking at the gun, digs the shell out of his pocket, and the notices the pellet wound on his hand. He then briefly half-turns to look at the cop car pull up, but still looks back between the stairs as he does. He then goes downstairs. The windows in the basement are the kind that don't open much. So I suppose its possible he either ran by Nygaard, used contortionist skills to get out the windows or hid in the basement until the cops were gone, but honestly atmospheric surrealism seems most likely to me.

Okay now I've got to ask if anyone knows what the tape MARVO listens to says between "She won't stop. Day after..." and "I'm going to do it tonight. When she's sleeping." It sounds kind of like "Alison Baker" or "I was a maker" but not exactly like either.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

A Pale Horse posted:

Colin Hanks was on the Rich Eisen podcast about a month ago and said it was all filmed in Canada, I want to say Manitoba but I'm not 100% on that part.

It looks like it was filmed almost entirely in-and-around Calgary, Alberta. In fact the first scene with Lester and Sam Hess was just about exactly here. Pretty good sausages from the place in the background. December was not a pleasant time to be here, though.

Watommi
Dec 17, 2004

I am all that is man.
Did Billy Bob take the evidence? I remember Lester hiding it in the washing machine, and we haven't seen yet whether it was found. All he has to worry about is the clothes...the hammer he wiped clean of prints, and it's obvious the wife was killed with a blunt object anyways.

When Lester woke up in the hospital, his thought sequence seemed to be "Aw jeez. Aw heck. Hey, I'm not cuffed to the bed! Aw jeez I have a shotgun wound on my hand, better hide it. Aw heck."

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Just caught up with the first episode and loving it; from the "feel" of locale, the dialog and the dark humor. Glad to see it is a 10 episode run, like True Detective, so they can nail it without dragging it out and watering it down.

porkchop_express
May 27, 2004
Decent premier. Similar vibe to the movie which is a compliment. BBT can be hit or miss but though he was right on.

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax
Fat Deb with Old Lundy really took me out of the show at the end there but overall pretty fantastic.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
I cracked up at "2-1-7 2-1-7!" *tackles child*

This show's great and I'm glad there's finally one single, actually good tv show running out there until the next season of True Detective.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009

tekz posted:

This show's great and I'm glad there's finally one single, actually good tv show running out there until the next season of True Detective.

uh watch Utopia and Orphan Black.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

teraflame posted:

I saw a few episodes of Utopia, didn't really grab me. I'll check out Orphan Black.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

tekz posted:

Said with a straight face during a Game of Thrones season.

Oh you.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Game of thrones is dumb nerd poo poo they threw in some titties so normal people would watch and pretend its a serious drama.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

greatn posted:

Game of thrones is dumb nerd poo poo they threw in some titties so normal people would watch and pretend its a serious drama.

I don't think there's a single person watching GoT who thinks it's a serious drama.

This Fargo show is great though, looking forward to seeing how the rest of the season plays out.

Tevryr
Dec 5, 2009
About the buckshot wound on Lester's hand, that is really going to hurt any alibi he may have. Sure, he could have ran downstairs in fear after getting the wound, but the wall he bashed his head into is adjacent, not front first coming down the stairs.

edit: Oops, didn't mean to spoil

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

teraflame posted:

The Americans is even on this very network.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Tevryr posted:

About the buckshot wound on Lester's hand, that is really going to hurt any alibi he may have. Sure, he could have ran downstairs in fear after getting the wound, but the wall he bashed his head into is adjacent, not front first coming down the stairs.

The episode aired days ago though?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Probably hasn't posted much in TVIV.

Tevryr
Dec 5, 2009

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

The episode aired days ago though?

Just being polite, even if the spullz rules aren't that strict :)

pigz
Jul 12, 2004

Nearly as overlooked as Joe Mauer

Tevryr posted:

He could just say he got in an altercation after the assailant chased him down the stairs.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I'll guess we'll know next episode if the doctors noticed it or not. If not, it'll probably be a tell-tale heart sort of thing.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Tevryr posted:

Once it's broadcasted, it's fair game. The mods actually dislike unnecessary use of spoiler tags. Just so you know.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I would think being grazed by the shot would help him look more innocent, if anything.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

greatn posted:

I would think being grazed by the shot would help him look more innocent, if anything.
The problem is that it puts him upstairs and conscious at the time chief is shot.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Lycus posted:

The problem is that it puts him upstairs and conscious at the time chief is shot.

Well after being grazed he ran downstairs. I don't think time of death is such an accurate measurement they can tell whether the chief or the wife was killed first given there was only two or three minutes difference, but I could be wrong, I don't really know anything about forensics.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
What about his prints on the hammer?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Colonel Whitey posted:

What about his prints on the hammer?

It's his gun.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

blue squares posted:

It's his gun.

I'm talking about the hammer he used to kill his wife and the absence of anyone else's prints on it.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Colonel Whitey posted:

I'm talking about the hammer he used to kill his wife and the absence of anyone else's prints on it.

It's his hammer.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

scary ghost dog posted:

It's his hammer.

But it's clearly the murder weapon and nobody else's prints are on it.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

I expect we'll find out about the hammer/bloody shirt in the coming episodes. Everybody cool out, yah?

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Max22 posted:

I expect we'll find out about the hammer/bloody shirt in the coming episodes. Everybody cool out, yah?

Huh? Were people not being cool? I just thought that the hammer sitting in the basement in plain sight would be more obvious evidence than the shrapnel.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Tevryr posted:

If already-aired episodes were "spoilers" we couldn't even have threads at all. They'd just be walls of blacked-out text. This thread is for talking about the show. That conversation requires a shared understanding that people will be talking about things that happen in episodes.

Also:
Holy poo poo do not do this. I mean, welcome and all, but for the love of god shake off the tics of whatever anime-encrusted internet hellhole you came from and talk like a human.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I thought Les took the hammer.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
If the hammer is still around you could argue that it was obviously wiped for prints, so any of Nygaards was because it was his hammer and others were smudged too much to useful, his clothes on the other hand, a bit harder to lie about unless they were burnt somewhere.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
The hammer and the clothes and all the evidence have disappeared into the aether because Billy Bob Thornton's character is an evil wizard/supernatural embodiment of darkness, they'll reappear later at a convenient time when he decides to gently caress with Bilbo Baggins some more.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Desht posted:

I don't know. I think Marvo works far better as a more relatable, realistic psychotic than a character like Hannibal, for example, who is far more symbolic. Both share a lot of similarities, but the stories they're in support them in different ways. Marvo is just a dude who likes loving with people and murdering some. I don't necessarily read "The Devil". And I think that works for this show. Its a boring old town in Minnesota, all it needs is someone who's a little on the insane side.

Depends on if the show goes more like Fargo or Barton Fink or O Brother, really. Plenty of Coen movies go into that realm, with multiple characters being actually or analogous to the devil or forces of nature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

tekz posted:

The hammer and the clothes and all the evidence have disappeared into the aether because Billy Bob Thornton's character is an evil wizard/supernatural embodiment of darkness, they'll reappear later at a convenient time when he decides to gently caress with Bilbo Baggins some more.

I think my favorite meta-element of this show will be all the nerd arguments online about whether Marvo-san is an actual demon incarnate, or just a super creepy dude.

• Locked thread