Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Bridesmaids is fine. But we have Identity Thief (fuckkkk), The Heat, and now that one movie called Tammy, which is about McCarthy playing a piece of poo poo who robs people...I think anyway.

If she's getting paid well, I guess. But eh. She can do better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I really wish David Lynch did more for me. The Elephant Man is great. Mullholland Drive and Blue Velvet are very good. I fell asleep both times I tried to watch Inland Empire.

I've always preferred Cronenberg in the battle of the weird Davids.

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

I actually laughed a lot more at The Heat than I was expecting to. It's a good movie as far as "I'm exhausted and I just want to watch something digestible and oh look it's the first thing on netflix."

Although if McCarthys schtick didn't entertain you it would be an insufferable movie. I didn't care about sympathizing though because the plot is paper thin, it's just a bunch of improvised skits.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah, I just don't like characters like that. I feel like you do need to get into that characters head, just a little bit, so you understand why they are who they are. I'm going to mention Powers again, because that character is seriously brilliant. He goes through his whole career, and while it doesn't say he whether he was a better person or not it's implied that his baseball career poisoned him, and made him into the piece of poo poo was in season 1. You'd see cracks in every episode, until he finally breaks down.

I don't need meat with my comedy, but I do want something more if your main character is an rear end in a top hat. But I didn't hate The Heat. It was OK. I've seen much worse. And I did chuckle a few times. That scene with the guy choking on his pancake went to the best possible place it could. And I liked some of the bits with Bullock and McCarthy towards the end. I wish that's what the movie was more so than over an hour of "We hate each other!"

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I really wish David Lynch did more for me. The Elephant Man is great. Mullholland Drive and Blue Velvet are very good. I fell asleep both times I tried to watch Inland Empire.

I've always preferred Cronenberg in the battle of the weird Davids.

Honestly if it wasn't for Twin Peaks I wouldn't even care about Lynch.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

Yeah, I just don't like characters like that. I feel like you do need to get into that characters head, just a little bit, so you understand why they are who they are. I'm going to mention Powers again, because that character is seriously brilliant. He goes through his whole career, and while it doesn't say he whether he was a better person or not it's implied that his baseball career poisoned him, and made him into the piece of poo poo was in season 1. You'd see cracks in every episode, until he finally breaks down.

I don't need meat with my comedy, but I do want something more if your main character is an rear end in a top hat. But I didn't hate The Heat. It was OK. I've seen much worse. And I did chuckle a few times. That scene with the guy choking on his pancake went to the best possible place it could. And I liked some of the bits with Bullock and McCarthy towards the end. I wish that's what the movie was more so than over an hour of "We hate each other!"

It feels like they start to do the rear end in a top hat With A Heart Of Gold thing, but they get lazy and think "Well she's fat so the audience will sympathize with her!" so they don't bother writing the Heart Of Gold part.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
She can't possibly have a heart of gold because she's fat, duh.

FishBulb fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Apr 13, 2014

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

FishBulb posted:

She can't possibly have a heart of golf because she's fat, duh.

this is a misspelling, but it cracked me up.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

FishBulb posted:

Honestly if it wasn't for Twin Peaks I wouldn't even care about Lynch.

Yeah I should probably watch that but... TV shows are long, man, and the few random episodes I saw really didn't do it for me. I really need to rewatch Eraserhead. I saw it at a young enough age to gently caress me up but not an old enough age to remember most of it. For some reason I feel like if anything's gonna win me over it'll be that one.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Hey HUNDU, Rain Without Thunder is an absolute slog.

While its heart is in the right place (in my opinion, being strongly pro choice, having several friends who've had abortions and I'm for some reason ashamed to say having had to make a decision myself some time ago) the film is both shoddily made, incredibly moralizing and hilariously demonizing. The shift in midi-music when an anti-choice or a religious talking head comes up is hilarious. A priest sits in a darkened church with a light behind a goddamn big fan. The district attorney has musical stings as she speaks for added menace. The prison director lies and plays with a knife during the entire interview.

While I can sympathize with the point being made, this is both obnoxious and disingenuous. It's also shoddily made, pure made-for-TV quality film.

And while the case could be made for many of the above criticisms that it is simply a play on the format, as it's filmed in this faux reportage style, it doesn't commit to it whatsoever. The reporter is a non-entity, devoid of character. Which would be fine had they committed to the format, but instead they chose this bizarre mish-mash of news report and straight movie.

I did not like this at all. And I am so in their court on this specific matter, but this is just weak. Pointless. Who is it trying to convince here? If you want religious people and the like to understand your position, understand the ramifications, understand why women should have the right of their own bodies, you can't blatantly put them on your screen as talking heads and do everything short of flashing "THESE ARE THE BAD GUYS AND WRONG" in the frame.

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Apr 13, 2014

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

You have to give Twin Peaks some time, but when it gets going, it's loving awesome. Until mid season 2, then it goes way, way down hill. But kinda picks up in the end, even though it's rushed. The movie is very strange too. A lot of people loathe it, but I'm in the middle. There's a lot I love about it, but there's just as much I hate. Very pretty though, and this track is awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxlGtcW1Qg8

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

My biggest issue with The Heat was it never really followed through on its promise of "a buddy action-comedy, but with women" - they forgot to actually put some real action in there. They set it up with the 'suiting-up' scene, but that's just deflated in favor of them instantly getting captured as soon as they try to raid the warehouse.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Whoever was talking up Joe in the last thread, loving thank you. Joe is fantastic, and it's one of the best understated Cage performances in a long long time. I actually watched David Gordon Green's two latest films today, Joe and Prince Avalanche, and I really loved them both.

Also Tye Simpkins is a hell of an actor, he's going to be huge, hopefully.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Vargo posted:

Whoever was talking up Joe in the last thread, loving thank you. Joe is fantastic, and it's one of the best understated Cage performances in a long long time. I actually watched David Gordon Green's two latest films today, Joe and Prince Avalanche, and I really loved them both.

Also Tye Simpkins is a hell of an actor, he's going to be huge, hopefully.

You're very, very welcome. Joe rules.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
2 dates in 2 days (technically only 5 1/2 hours apart) and I was feeling on top of the world until I noticed my ex's okcupid account was active and had to view it long enough to hide her so she doesn't come up in searches. Which she would come up in because we're apparently a 96% match. God drat.

Gonna go watch Akira with some movie nerds for a meetup later. They call this group Cinema Paradiso, so they can't be all bad right? Hopefully this will give me just the right kind of distraction.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
There was a shooting at the Jewish community center today in the suburb I live in. They caught the guy that did it at my kid's elementary school screaming heil Hitler apparently.

Yeah I mean that's a thing that happened. loving nazis wtf

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Summer of Sam (craft services: goatse) is such a odd movie. Its like they took a normal movie and right before it came out they shoehorned in a bunch of Berkowitz stuff in. Its like trying to morph Boogie Nights and Zodiac into the same movie.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Summer of Sam is weird as gently caress but I really like it. I can't think of any other serial killer movies that just focus entirely on random civilians that don't even really intersect with the serial killer plot in any meaningful way.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
I like the shot in Summer of Sam where it focuses on the empty passenger seat while Leguizamo and Sorvino are having an argument, and all you can see is their gesturing hands poking in from the sides of the frame.

Also, this is a classic clip by now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaWtWAvUb-4

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Summer of Sam is weird as gently caress but I really like it. I can't think of any other serial killer movies that just focus entirely on random civilians that don't even really intersect with the serial killer plot in any meaningful way.

More serial killer movies should be like this, IMO.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I did not like this at all. And I am so in their court on this specific matter, but this is just weak. Pointless. Who is it trying to convince here? If you want religious people and the like to understand your position, understand the ramifications, understand why women should have the right of their own bodies, you can't blatantly put them on your screen as talking heads and do everything short of flashing "THESE ARE THE BAD GUYS AND WRONG" in the frame.

It's Exhibit A in why you can't just turn your argument with someone into a film lecture. It's funny how these kinds of movies fail in different ways, too, that libertarian goldbug CGI poser movie is basically just trying to do urban fantasy (car chases, sassy alt-chick sidekick) and it may be even worse and more boring.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Y-yes mastuh! I will obey!

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

CelticPredator posted:

You have to give Twin Peaks some time, but when it gets going, it's loving awesome. Until mid season 2, then it goes way, way down hill. But kinda picks up in the end, even though it's rushed. The movie is very strange too. A lot of people loathe it, but I'm in the middle. There's a lot I love about it, but there's just as much I hate. Very pretty though, and this track is awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxlGtcW1Qg8

Still ain't seen Fire Walk With Me, but even Twin peaks at its worst is entertaining. Call me a wrong idiot but the antics between Andy and Dick Tremayne is one of my favorite bits of the whole series. gently caress the whole Windom Earle plot line though.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
BOB is my favorite TV villain ever, including Marlo Stanfield, George Hearst and whoever else.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Agreed. But also, gently caress anything with James too. That was so loving pointless I almost stopped watching it. But we did get one good thing out of Windom Earle's plot, we got Ted Raimi dead inside a giant chess piece. Which was amazing.

e: BOB is indeed awesome.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

Beyond sane knolls posted:

Still ain't seen Fire Walk With Me, but even Twin peaks at its worst is entertaining. Call me a wrong idiot but the antics between Andy and Dick Tremayne is one of my favorite bits of the whole series. gently caress the whole Windom Earle plot line though.
I watched Fire Walk With Me for the first and only time hours after surgery, flopped alone on the bed of a dingy hotel with the worst nausea of my life thanks to anesthesia.

Don't do that.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Even though the low point of the whole series is that drat James and an older woman subplot, I love James. It's such a weird character to be so hateable, he's just a big softie clueless hunk.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's funny how these kinds of movies fail in different ways, too, that libertarian goldbug CGI poser movie is basically just trying to do urban fantasy (car chases, sassy alt-chick sidekick) and it may be even worse and more boring.

I have not heard of this, but I had trouble getting through Rain Without Thunder so I really don't think I could stomach this kind of lecture filmmaking if I also utterly disagreed with the ideology.

he's just a big softie clueless hunk.

Hahaha yes. It's like watching Derek Zoolander or something.

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Apr 13, 2014

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Really even when it's in the worst chunks of season 2 there's still enough good stuff to go with that it's not entirely without merit to watch it. Also I will never not like a dude yelling about how amazing a baguette is.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

BOB is my favorite TV villain ever, including Marlo Stanfield, George Hearst and whoever else.

Bobby Cannavale in Boardwalk Empire (I forget his character's name)

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

zVxTeflon posted:

Summer of Sam (craft services: goatse) is such a odd movie. Its like they took a normal movie and right before it came out they shoehorned in a bunch of Berkowitz stuff in. Its like trying to morph Boogie Nights and Zodiac into the same movie.

Well thats sort of why its such a great movie, its not about the son of sam killer in any significant way, it's just how these killings indirectly impacted this part of a community and all these characters on their normal course of life. For them it really is the summer of sam.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Bobby Cannavale in Boardwalk Empire (I forget his character's name)

Gyp Rosetti.

"Tell me about this 'spaghetti and meatballs'."

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I have not heard of this, but I had trouble getting through Rain Without Thunder so I really don't think I could stomach this kind of lecture filmmaking if I also utterly disagreed with the ideology.

Hahaha yes. It's like watching Derek Zoolander or something.

It's called SIlver Circle. It took me like six hours to watch because it's so goddamn boring.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
Barney Google. With the GOO GOO GOOGLY EYES.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Isn't that the really bad PS2 quality animated movie?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

It's called SIlver Circle. It took me like six hours to watch because it's so goddamn boring.

Good lord.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veO_W2HB0YI

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Gyp Rosetti.

"Tell me about this 'spaghetti and meatballs'."

I really wanna go back and rewatch that whole season just for his character.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

CelticPredator posted:

Isn't that the really bad PS2 quality animated movie?

Yes. It is a lot worse than I was expecting. I was hoping that the fact it was CG freed them up to make a much crazier film, but it's like a really long and lovely episode of Dark Angel or something.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I really wanna go back and rewatch that whole season just for his character.

The season is much stronger because it focuses on him. The fourth season is all over the place. I appreciate its scope, but once again I always think whenever Boardwalk Empire goes for scope it seems like it's flailing its arms around saying "hey, look, this show's still on the air!"

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Apr 13, 2014

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Vargo posted:

Making Movies by Sidney Lumet
Introduction to Criticism by Michael Ryan
Anything by Christpoher Frayling.
There's a pretty good anthology of American Movie Critics you can pick up.

Pick Hard posted:

David Bordwell's blog is a treasure trove, and his books ain't bad either.

http://www.davidbordwell.net/blog/
Cheers guys, keen to check these out.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The season is much stronger because it focuses on him. The fourth season is all over the place. I appreciate its scope, but once again I always think whenever Boardwalk Empire goes for scope it seems like it's flailing its arms around saying "hey, look, this show's still on the air!"

Yeah in retrospect 3 might be the best season so far, although for me the high points of 2 are higher and 4 feels the most well-balanced.

I love the way Buscemi plays their scenes together too, like he's just perpetually flabbergasted at how increasingly angry Rosetti gets for no reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Watched Jug Face and was pleasantly surprised. I really enjoyed the look of the film, cinematography wise. The only thing that really felt like the movie's budget were the cruddy special effects, but they are kept to a minimum so it's not too bad. It's one of the few films where it felt like being extremely straightforward and unsurprising towards its conclusion served the story purpose.

Sean Young was kind of iffy though. But Lauren Ashley Carter was wonderful and I really want to see more of her.

• Locked thread