Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I got nowhere else to post this: I saw Sophie's Choice for the first time (have heard so often about it featuring "the greatest performance by an actress OF ALL TIME" that it's been an itch I've been meaning to scratch for a while). I of course have known all about THE CHOICE for years and years from the movie's reputation and footprint in pop culture...

But MAN, nothing really prepares you for it, does it? It might be the most upsetting movie scene I've ever seen as an adult.

The rest of the movie I found uneven: great performances (and yeah, Streep as Sophie is a contender, for sure), generally well-made and directed, but overlong and the Holocaust flashbacks in the second half are so heavy they render the rest of the movie almost inconsequential.

An interesting thing for me to discover was that "Sophie's choice" is actually a twist: the movie seems to want the viewer to think the title refers to her having to choose between two men, but then at the end it drops the bomb. Also, I've always thought of Peter MacNicol as "that guy from Ghostbusters II" ("Eets Vigo!!" "I am drippings with goo", etc.), he really surprised me here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

TrixRabbi posted:

I always felt like Eisenberg was a poor man's Michael Cera and have kind of resented that he's gone on to huge fame while Cera is sort of fading away. But I haven't seen The Double or Night Moves yet so I'll reserve final judgment until then.

The Social Network put Eisenberg way ahead of Cera in terms of "deserving success," frankly. I don't think Cera has ever knocked out a performance that good (although him in This Is The End is amazing).

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

TrixRabbi posted:

I always felt like Eisenberg was a poor man's Michael Cera and have kind of resented that he's gone on to huge fame while Cera is sort of fading away. But I haven't seen The Double or Night Moves yet so I'll reserve final judgment until then.

This is really the stupidest hangup people have about Eisenberg. Him and Cera are actually not much alike, even in similar roles. Eisenberg may play nerdy types, but his characters are always a lot more outgoing and brash than Cera's used to be. Like, try imagining Michael Cera making the wise-rear end quips in Zombieland. Also, Eisenberg just owns everything in The Social Network. He plays a dick. not a shy dude. Cera is starting to play more dicks, so perhaps he is the poor-man's Jesse Eisenberg.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

DetoxP posted:

The Social Network put Eisenberg way ahead of Cera in terms of "deserving success," frankly. I don't think Cera has ever knocked out a performance that good (although him in This Is The End is amazing).

I'm pretty sure Eisenberg in the Social Network is better than every Michael Cera performance combined.

Incidentally, you guys reminded me of Arrested Development Season 4 and I wish you hadn't.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The comparison between Eisenberg and Cera is like the comparison between a dork and a geek. The two are different, though they often overlap, but if you show me a person, I could tell you exactly which one of the two they are.

The other day at work, me and my coworkers came up with the conclusion that Shia LeBeouf is what happens when Michael Cera characters don't get laid throughout their early twenties. Shia is at his peak when playing a character who represents impotence or absence of a sort of manhood. The best examples of this are Nymphomaniac and (of course) the Transformers movies.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

so peaking of...was Magic Magic any good?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I read a thing about a film called After Life, a Japanese film on AVclub. What can you guys tell me about it?

It sounds really sweet and uplifting while avoiding schmaltz.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I read a thing about a film called After Life, a Japanese film on AVclub. What can you guys tell me about it?

It sounds really sweet and uplifting while avoiding schmaltz.

Kore-eda film. I saw it years ago, I think right after it came out on home video, but I don't remember a lot about it except that its sense of place was striking and it was pretty unlike anything I'd seen before, especially wrt depictions of heaven.

It's pretty low key yeah.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

zVxTeflon posted:

I thought so.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
Jesse Eisenberg was the one and only thing I liked about Now You See Me. He plays a pretty effective dick.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

CloseFriend posted:

Jesse EisenbergBrian Tyler's score was the one and only thing I liked about Now You See Me.

This is how I felt about it.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

CloseFriend posted:

Jesse Eisenberg was the one and only thing I liked about Now You See Me. He plays a pretty effective dick.

God, that movie... what a waste of a great cast. They had Elias Koteas and gave him like two scenes! In flashback!

Elias Koteas should be in everything is what I'm saying.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I liked Davey Franco and Mark Ruffalo. And Tyler's score. I dunno. I kinda liked that movie. But I watched it at home for free with no expectations. I think that's a really good way to watch a film. It's how I watched Enemy. I had no loving idea what the movie was about, so it was a completely cold, creepy experience.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

zVxTeflon posted:

The mirror scene with McConaughey teaching the new kid how to captivate an audience is one of the best scenes about performance I can remember. The rest of the movie is pretty good as well.

Edit: also Jesse Eisnenberg would have surpassed Cera with just his early performances from Roger Dodger and Squid and the Whale. No need to even bring up him crushing it in The Social Network.

Voodoofly fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jul 2, 2014

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Voodoofly posted:

The mirror scene with McConaughey teaching the new kid how to captivate an audience is one of the best scenes about performance I can remember. The rest of the movie is pretty good as well.

Wrong movie, although it would have been hilarious if Cera was The Kid in Magic Mike.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Voodoofly posted:

Edit: also Jesse Eisnenberg would have surpassed Cera with just his early performances from Roger Dodger and Squid and the Whale. No need to even bring up him crushing it in The Social Network.

Yeah, I love Cera, but Eisenberg has put in some next-level work. He's pitch perfect in Squid and the Whale.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Yoshifan823 posted:

The other day at work, me and my coworkers came up with the conclusion that Shia LeBeouf is what happens when Michael Cera characters don't get laid throughout their early twenties. Shia is at his peak when playing a character who represents impotence or absence of a sort of manhood. The best examples of this are Nymphomaniac and (of course) the Transformers movies.

I think Shia LaBeouf is what happens when you put a person with undiagnosed bi-polar disorder under intense amount of stress.

He's really going off the rails in a Daniel Johnston/Britney Spears kind of way.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Oh, I noticed there's links to blogs and such at the top of the thread and that I write stuff about movies too!

I write for smugfilm.com. My latest article actually got linked on one or two other sites, which is pretty loving cool for me. The guy who runs the site edits all the articles for style so the most eloquent parts probably aren't me.
I've barely written anything because of University poo poo, but I've started on some new ones now.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Michael Cera is great when he's playing a wet sock, but he doesn't have the focused intensity Eisenberg does.

zVxTeflon posted:

I liked it more in retrospect than while watching it, but the turn it takes is really interesting. It's also probably one of the few times a misleading trailer has ever been beneficial.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Slice of life: season 2 of Drunk History is back now, and it's already back to greatness.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Hitler saying "Uh oh spaghetti-ohs" was pretty drat great.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hewlett posted:

Slice of life: season 2 of Drunk History is back now, and it's already back to greatness.

Oh poo poo, I need to set my DVR!

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
That is the second best Weird Al cameo I've ever seen.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Wrong movie, although it would have been hilarious if Cera was The Kid in Magic Mike.

I had to go back read that original post like ten times before my brain allowed me to see Magic Magic instead of Magic Mike. I even googled "Magic Mike" thinking maybe I was just remembering the name of the Soderbergh movie wrong.

I do agree Cera would have been hilarious in that role, though.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Finally. I've been waiting for him to parody Bowie for years.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Voodoofly posted:

I had to go back read that original post like ten times before my brain allowed me to see Magic Magic instead of Magic Mike. I even googled "Magic Mike" thinking maybe I was just remembering the name of the Soderbergh movie wrong.

I do agree Cera would have been hilarious in that role, though.

In fact, how much better would it be if it were Cera?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
I was forced to watch Rio and the whole time I was just thinking how much Michael Cera was phoning in his vocal performance.

Michael Cera is not in Rio.

Rio's human art design is so loving bland, I confused like three fat guys with each other because they look exactly the same. Seeing the lovely CGI film Free Birds along side it did not help because it had basically the same design and was an even worse movie.

The Lego Movie showed us how inventive and interesting CG kids movies can be framed. There is no excuse for the sitcom talking heads bullshit.

e: and Rio has songs with the lyrics "Romance and danger/Dance with a stranger" and saying a woman's body language as interpreted by a man trumps the woman literally saying she hates you. This happens in a dance club.

Great message guys.

ee: Jemaine Clement was a sole bright spot, but I could have done without the bargain bin 'Toxic Love'. But when you've got Clement you might as well put his voice to work.

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jul 3, 2014

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I was forced to watch Rio and the whole time I was just thinking how much Michael Cera was phoning in his vocal performance.

Michael Cera is not in Rio.

Rio's human art design is so loving bland, I confused like three fat guys with each other because they look exactly the same. Seeing the lovely CGI film Free Birds along side it did not help because it had basically the same design and was an even worse movie.

The Lego Movie showed us how inventive and interesting CG kids movies can be framed. There is no excuse for the sitcom talking heads bullshit.

e: and Rio has songs with the lyrics "Romance and danger/Dance with a stranger" and saying a woman's body language as interpreted by a man trumps the woman literally saying she hates you. This happens in a dance club.

Great message guys.

ee: Jemaine Clement was a sole bright spot, but I could have done without the bargain bin 'Toxic Love'. But when you've got Clement you might as well put his voice to work.

Oh boo loving hoo. I had to watch that movie like, 4 times a day when I worked at Blockbuster.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

axleblaze posted:

That is the second best Weird Al cameo I've ever seen.

The first best better be Naked Gun.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The first best better be Naked Gun.

Nope, sorry, it was Children's Hospital. To be fair, the cameo he had there was one of the weirdest, most clever cameos I've ever seen.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Yoshifan823 posted:

Oh boo loving hoo. I had to watch that movie like, 4 times a day when I worked at Blockbuster.

we can chill in my gazebo, gazebo

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Yoshifan823 posted:

I spent about seven months with A Bugs Life projected across 30-40 televisions on non-stop repeat while working at Sears in high school. gently caress that movie forever.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

axleblaze posted:

Nope, sorry, it was Children's Hospital. To be fair, the cameo he had there was one of the weirdest, most clever cameos I've ever seen.

I still haven't watched that show but I refuse to believe the scene in question tops this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cqg-YZhr3bA

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I still haven't watched that show but I refuse to believe the scene in question tops this.

I'm not saying that's not a great scene, but the one in Children's Hospital is just so odd and unexpected.

To spoil it, there's an episode where one of the characters reveals that she is going out with Weird Al, who in the episode is played by Judah Friedlander wearing a "Weird Al" hat.

While that's kind of funny, what really makes it work is later in the episode there's a flashback where the younger versions of one of the characters inexplicably is played without comment by the actual Weird Al. It was just such a weird, absurd joke that I haven't really seen done before.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Btdurbs I'm now starting King Kong Escapes wherein King Kong fights Mechanikong.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I am very sad about soccer

Was there a conversation about soccer movies here? Because the World Cup got me in the mood to watch some, but they all seem to be a) about hooligans, b) coming-of-age girls' stories (which are actually the best of the lot), or c) literal FIFA propaganda. I don't know if there are some other high quality films that I'm missing?

(And yes, I know about The Two Escobars)

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Victory, starring Michael Caine, Pele and Sly Stallone.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
So I just watched Virtuosity for the first time. Is any movie quote more quintessentially 1990s than "I'm a fifty terabyte self-evolving neural network double backflip off the high platform. I'm not a swan dive." ?

Those are totally words that come out of Russell Crowe's mouth in this movie. Watch this movie.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

GonSmithe posted:

Jesus Christ the 30 minutes of Tammy I've been watching are some of the least funny and least entertaining 30 minutes of my life. I'm sorry to whoever has to review this for CR.

It's...yeah, the whole thing is just loving dire. Tammy is basically Tommy Boy minus any sense of ambition or humor, and that's being pretty generous to Tommy Boy. I just...ugh. gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Virtuosity owns and is also dope.

• Locked thread