Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Was there a conversation about soccer movies here? Because the World Cup got me in the mood to watch some, but they all seem to be a) about hooligans, b) coming-of-age girls' stories (which are actually the best of the lot), or c) literal FIFA propaganda. I don't know if there are some other high quality films that I'm missing?

(And yes, I know about The Two Escobars)

Invictus, The Big Green, and The Damned United.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
What ever happened to the dude that was obsessed with the thief and the cobbler?

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Was there a conversation about soccer movies here? Because the World Cup got me in the mood to watch some, but they all seem to be a) about hooligans, b) coming-of-age girls' stories (which are actually the best of the lot), or c) literal FIFA propaganda. I don't know if there are some other high quality films that I'm missing?

Goal! and Goal! 2. If you legitimately hate yourself, Goal! 3.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Mean Machine which is by far the best version of The Longest Yard.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

axleblaze posted:

I really wish Melissa McCarthy would stop being in such lovely movies. She's in the rare position of being an overweight woman who Hollywood thinks can open a movie but she's just in the worst poo poo. I'd like to blame that on Hollywood and the types of roles they write for women like her, but I'm pretty sure she cowrote Tammy with her Husband who also directed the movie, so really this is all on her.

I fell the same way, plus I just think she's a fantastic and extremely likable actor in general. I really hope she gets to play a character that isn't "Ha ha, she's a fat slob!".

Slate Action posted:

So I just watched Virtuosity for the first time. Is any movie quote more quintessentially 1990s than "I'm a fifty terabyte self-evolving neural network double backflip off the high platform. I'm not a swan dive." ?

Those are totally words that come out of Russell Crowe's mouth in this movie. Watch this movie.

Lawnmower Man.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Historias de Futbol by Andrés Wood. I'm sure any South American country has at least one good football movie.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Darth Freddy posted:

What ever happened to the dude that was obsessed with the thief and the cobbler?

If you're referring to Richard Williams, according to the director of the doc about that whole thing, Williams is currently still pretty bitter about the whole thing but he's working on a film right now. It's gonna be pretty simplistic overall (just animated line drawings) but that's also because it's all being done by him (as I said, still pretty bitter).

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I assumed he meant Egbert

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Slate Action posted:

So I just watched Virtuosity for the first time. Is any movie quote more quintessentially 1990s than "I'm a fifty terabyte self-evolving neural network double backflip off the high platform. I'm not a swan dive." ?

Those are totally words that come out of Russell Crowe's mouth in this movie. Watch this movie.

The 1993 movie Ghost in the Machine features a serial killer dying and possessing the internet. He stalks Karen Allen and her family throughout the movie using his internet powers. At one point he kills someone by reversing their microwave so that it heats up the room instead of the inside of the microwave. He does this via the internet somehow.

Just watch the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2HPq-WDnFQ

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Yoshifan823 posted:

Invictus, The Big Green, and The Damned United.

Invictus is rugby, man.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

DNS posted:

Invictus is rugby, man.

Sports that aren't American Football all run together.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Anyone else here get David O'Reilly's Mountain game?

dreadnought
Dec 28, 2006

:rolleyes:
Rudo y Cursi is worth a watch. You can't beat the chemistry between Diego Luna and Gael Garcia Bernal, and it's directed by Alfonso Cuaron's brother, Carlos. Overall, it's mostly forgettable, but it's a decent way to spend a couple of hours if you're in a soccer movie mood.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

CPL593H posted:

Lawnmower Man.

Same director.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

We know a remote farm in Lincolnshire, where Mrs. Buckley lives. Every July, peas grow there.

Do you really mean that?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
That really is a crap line.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I like that one of the major themes in Last Action Hero is "life is poo poo, movies own"

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I like that one of the major themes in Last Action Hero is "life is poo poo, movies own"

A cool movie, and the source of another great 1990s movie line, "here [in real life], the bad guys can win."

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Slate Action posted:

A cool movie, and the source of another great 1990s movie line, "here [in real life], the bad guys can win."

I completely forgot how dark the real world sections of the movie are. Jack Slater suffers a mild existential crisis, and the scene at the mechanic shop is just cold. "EXCUSE ME. I JUST SHOT A MAN. I DID IT ON PURPOSE."

But on the other hand, it's offset by Danny DeVito voicing a womanizing cartoon cat, and an entire plot point based around a fart joke.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Egbert Souse posted:

We know a remote farm in Lincolnshire, where Mrs. Buckley lives. Every July, peas grow there.

Do you really mean that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH1PJTY9AVA
They're even better when you're dead!

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
Last Action Hero is one of those movies I think only bombed because it had minor presentation problems. There's a lot about it that's great, but audiences just didn't see it.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I completely forgot how dark the real world sections of the movie are. Jack Slater suffers a mild existential crisis, and the scene at the mechanic shop is just cold. "EXCUSE ME. I JUST SHOT A MAN. I DID IT ON PURPOSE."

But on the other hand, it's offset by Danny DeVito voicing a womanizing cartoon cat, and an entire plot point based around a fart joke.

Charles Dance is the loving man.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

That lead me down a rabbit hole of Orsen Welles interviews, which lead me to this

http://youtu.be/JK7BNKNZ5Gc

GonSmithe posted:

Charles Dance is the loving man.

http://youtu.be/-3POYx6IeeI

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Flying Zamboni posted:

The 1993 movie Ghost in the Machine features a serial killer dying and possessing the internet. He stalks Karen Allen and her family throughout the movie using his internet powers. At one point he kills someone by reversing their microwave so that it heats up the room instead of the inside of the microwave. He does this via the internet somehow.

Just watch the trailer:

Other than the obvious reason this is funny, it also amuses me that this is a thing in the movie because the turntable in a microwave oven reverses direction on its own between multiple uses.

Maarak posted:

Same director.

So what you're saying is that he's an auteur?

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Green Street Hooligans is a good soccer movie and Charlie Hunnam is good in it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Alec Eiffel posted:

Green Street Hooligans is a good soccer movie and Charlie Hunnam is good in it.

I haven't seen Green Street Hooligans, but when some asks for good soccer films not about soccer hooligans, I'd try and think of a film without hooligan in the title

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
I gotta vent about this somewhere and since I live in Eastern Washington, my Facebook feed isn't much of an option… One loving day into this "sincerely-held religious belief" poo poo and already Christian corporations want their excuse to discriminate against LGBT people.

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Merry Christmas Scary Wormhole!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Btdurbs I'm now starting King Kong Escapes wherein King Kong fights Mechanikong.

That movie's fun, but I was pretty let down as the premise led me to expect a class warfare/John Henry type of story.

CelticPredator posted:

Virtuosity owns and is also dope.
I love how there's a half hour stretch where "SHAD DUP!" almost becomes Russell Crowe's catchphrase.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Anyone else here get David O'Reilly's Mountain game?

It's very soothing every time it plays a music cue and reminds you of its existence... and then you find it has a boat on it now.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Victory. Sylvester Stallone, Michael Caine, Max von Sydow and a bunch of football players.

quote:

As allied POWs prepare for a soccer game against the German National Team to be played in Nazi-occupied Paris, the French Resistance and British officers are making plans for the team's escape.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I tapped out before the one hour mark but I will wager that The Counselor does not get better. It's like every time a conversation seems like it might go somewhere really interesting it goes into a random and absolutely plodding direction.

I'm going to watch The Sunset Limited instead.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Mean Machine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddauWr_auVw

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Hedenius posted:

Victory. Sylvester Stallone, Michael Caine, Max von Sydow and a bunch of football players.

Does this one end with a bicycle kick and a bunch of people running through the stadium gates? I caught the ending of soccer film that featured the aforementioned spoiler a looooong time ago on TV, and have occasionally thought about it, but never learned what it was.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Egbert Souse posted:

Do you really mean that?

Impossible! Meaningless!

I was literally having a conversation with my wife about that sentence last night before bed. It's grammatically correct, but very ugly. This came up because we were discussing an elephant museum and candy shop with the slogan "Where the candy and homemade fudge is."

Also a terrible sentence.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Well, I've got two days off in a row for the first time in a while and I think I'ma use it to watch Life Is Worth Losing on repeat for 48 hours.

It's funny how what's universally agreed to be Carlin's darkest, most depressing special starts with what I take to be one of his most purely joyful bits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkCR-w3AYOE

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Well, I've got two days off in a row for the first time in a while and I think I'ma use it to watch Life Is Worth Losing on repeat for 48 hours.

It's funny how what's universally agreed to be Carlin's darkest, most depressing special starts with what I take to be one of his most purely joyful bits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkCR-w3AYOE

Dude just goes off and plays with words for three and a half minutes and then kvetches about how we're all hosed. It's beautiful.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

X-Ray Pecs posted:

That's also one of the major themes of CinemaDiscusso.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
"The Bank of England has lost the Pound, plunging the financial world into turmoil this afternoon [...] others link the disaster with the appearance of a strange, sexless child, who was seen wandering around the square mile with an inscrutable grin."

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

"The Bank of England has lost the Pound, plunging the financial world into turmoil this afternoon [...] others link the disaster with the appearance of a strange, sexless child, who was seen wandering around the square mile with an inscrutable grin."

Is this the plot of Thick As a Brick Part III?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Flying Zamboni posted:

Just watch the trailer:

Oh man, I wanna make a movie night that has bad 80s/90s Cyberspace graphics, but what would you even look for? Other than Lawnmower Man and Hackers what else would fit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Alan Smithee posted:

Oh man, I wanna make a movie night that has bad 80s/90s Cyberspace graphics, but what would you even look for? Other than Lawnmower Man and Hackers what else would fit

The Mind's Eye.

• Locked thread