Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

axleblaze posted:

Just because Anthony was the one caught being racist doesn't mean Opie isn't racist.

Honestly, those gus have always struck me as pieces of poo poo and their continued popularity amazes me. They're friends with some funny people but that's really about it. I always think back to the time they got fired from the local Boston station and just how unfunny and lovely the thing that got them fired was.
It's even shittier when you consider that they did it to get out of their contract since they had already lined up a deal with New York.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

axleblaze posted:

Just because Anthony was the one caught being racist doesn't mean Opie isn't racist.

Honestly, those gus have always struck me as pieces of poo poo and their continued popularity amazes me. They're friends with some funny people but that's really about it. I always think back to the time they got fired from the local Boston station and just how unfunny and lovely the thing that got them fired was.

I never thought O&A themselves were funny or likable but they used to have so many funny dudes on that I didn't really care.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Timeless Appeal posted:

It's even shittier when you consider that they did it to get out of their contract since they had already lined up a deal with New York.

I was not aware of that. At least that explains they were so they seemed adamant to not apologize for it afterwards.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Just finished watching Locke. For being an hour and 20 minutes of Tom Hardy driving around and talking on the phone, that was oddly compelling :stare:

Tom Hardy really went above and beyond in it.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

DNS posted:

I never thought O&A themselves were funny or likable but they used to have so many funny dudes on that I didn't really care.
Jim Norton convincing Patrice O'Neal that Face-Off is a bad movie is one of the funniest thing that I've ever heard. And I don't even like Jim Norton.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
But Face Off isn't bad

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I don't know who Jim Norton is but I hate the sound of his voice. And the fact that he's dissing Face/Off just makes it worse.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

I love Face/Off and that's pretty drat funny.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Face/Off loving rules and is a god-tier Nic Cage film. It's one of the best things I've ever seen Travolta in, too.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Face/Off loving rules and is a god-tier Nic Cage film. It's one of the best things I've ever seen Travolta in, too.

Pulp fiction has some words for you.

Although those two, and I dont know, maybe Grease are about the only good films he's in, (Saturday Night Fever? I haven't seen that one).

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Skwirl posted:

That's why I said "one of" ;)

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I love Face/Off. But John Travolta rubbing his hand down his loved ones' faces all the time is kinda redic.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Face/Off is one of those weird good/bad movies that isn't "so bad it's good," but is bad for many of the same reasons that it is good, and vice versa. It's very purely subjective.

Certainly though, if you come at it as a fan of Woo's Hong Kong classics, it can be kinda depressing.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Face/Off is one of those weird good/bad movies that isn't "so bad it's good," but is bad for many of the same reasons that it is good, and vice versa. It's very purely subjective.

Certainly though, if you come at it as a fan of Woo's Hong Kong classics, it can be kinda depressing.

And yet it's the only one of his American movies that wasn't fully neutered. Well, that and Hard Target.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Timeless Appeal posted:

I love Face/Off. But John Travolta rubbing his hand down his loved ones' faces all the time is kinda redic.

The face-touching is one of the best things in Face/Off.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

morestuff posted:

And yet it's the only one of his American movies that wasn't fully neutered. Well, that and Hard Target.

Yeah, Hard Target on the other hand is very firmly so-bad-it's-good.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Skwirl posted:

Although those two, and I dont know, maybe Grease are about the only good films he's in, (Saturday Night Fever? I haven't seen that one).

You need to go watch Saturday Night Fever. Carrie too.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

RandallODim posted:

You need to go watch Saturday Night Fever. Carrie too.

Also Blow Out. Travolta's been in plenty of good movies.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Man whatever. I love Woo's HK films and Face Off is still good. It's not AS good but it's solid and also dope

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

It's been five years or so since I've seen Saturday Night Fever so I'm due for a rewatch, but I'm willing to go out on a limb and say Blow Out is the best thing Travolta ever did.

edit: I forgot he's in The Thin Red Line. But like most people in that movie he's only in it for about five minutes.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

TrixRabbi posted:

It's been five years or so since I've seen Saturday Night Fever so I'm due for a rewatch, but I'm willing to go out on a limb and say Blow Out is the best thing Travolta ever did.

It's almost certainly between those two. I think he's kind of an underrated actor, personally. The lead in Blow Out could've been a total stock role but Travolta really brought his own spin to it.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jul 5, 2014

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Yeah, Hard Target on the other hand is very firmly so-bad-it's-good.

Yeah this is pretty much my take. I enjoyed Face/Off when it came out, and upon rewatching recently I could still see its good qualities even if I found it sort of overelongated (Woo's tendency to stretch everything out played even worse in Mission: Impossible 2 - I'd kill to see his 3 and a half hour cut of that just out of morbid curiosity), but when people enthuse over it I just kinda get depressed.

Skwirl posted:

Saturday Night Fever is excellent, and Travolta's great in it. People's image of it is usually way out of whack with what the movie actually is.

Get Shorty and A Civil Action ain't so bad either, IIRC.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Travolta is loving great in Primary Colors.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I'd really love to see Travolta do something like About Schmidt where he gives up any pretense of coming off as cool and plays to his age and lets himself be vulnerable.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
Saturday Night Fever is a good movie, but it has a really hosed up attitude about rape. I know it was a different time, but still.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Timby posted:

Travolta is loving great in Primary Colors.

Primary Colors is such a great weird movie that I'm pretty sure is unique in that I believe the people it's mainly criticizing (true believer type Democrats that project their ideal onto people that will only let them down) loving love it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

This is the thread where people list a bunch of awesome movies I forgot about. Feal a little stupid not remembering Blow Out and Get Shorty.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

axleblaze posted:

Primary Colors is such a great weird movie that I'm pretty sure is unique in that I believe the people it's mainly criticizing … loving love it.
I think American History X is like that too… unfortunately.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I wonder how Michael holds up.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CloseFriend posted:

I think American History X is like that too… unfortunately.

God, my roommate during my freshman year of college thought American History X and Boondock Saints were the two greatest movies ever made, and he had one of them on the TV almost every single time I came home from work or a date or whatever.

"Yeah, man, the loving curbstomp! That poo poo's awesome!"

That was twelve years ago. I wonder if his tastes have changed.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Timeless Appeal posted:

I wonder how Michael holds up.

Not well at all. Better than Phenomenon though.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Nobody's mentioned Battlefield Earth?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

therattle posted:

We had a good streak running too, and then you ruined it.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

therattle posted:

We're discussing movies where Travolta is good. Even if you enjoy his performance in that I still don't think anyone in good conscience could call it good.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

axleblaze posted:

We're discussing movies where Travolta is good. Even if you enjoy his performance in that I still don't think anyone in good conscience could call it good.

Mark my words, in ten years people will look back on that film and proclaim it a masterpiece.

Especially when all of its predictions come true.

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."
John Travolta owned in Hairspray.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

therattle posted:

Mark my words, in ten years people will look back on that film and proclaim it a masterpiece.

In ten seconds, I'm gonna look back on this post and proclaim you a butthead.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

therattle posted:

So what I think you're saying is that in ten years the world will be a Scientologist Theocracy where disliking the movie is an executable offense.

That is the only scenario in which I can see Battlefield Earth being considered a good movie.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I've only seen Battlefield Earth once, with RiffTrax, and I could barely get through it even with RiffTrax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
You guys are forgetting the Travolta masterpiece that is Swordfish.

• Locked thread