Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hahaha yes I knew I would be the only one to vote 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I've only ever seen II through V. I loving love Rocky IV.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

My roommate likes watching ted talks in the living room on 1.5 speed so everyone sounds like chipmunk people.

He's a nice guy, but I think I might destroy him.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

My previous roommate had a habit of falling asleep in the living room while masturbating to How It's Made.

Okay, fine, I'll stop complaining.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Soundtrack To Mary posted:

Ugh! We suck.

To contribute: I had some pretty great Mexican in this hole-in-the-wall in Moab. My folks were wary about it, but I insisted, and everyone left happy.

C'mon, white people.

Just wanted to chime in to say that I visited Moab last year and the canyon I stayed in the first night was the most beautiful place I've ever been, and I lived in Hawaii for a year.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

If that's his last one, that's a hell of a movie to go out on.

What is this from?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Frankly, the Elephant Man might be my favorite movie of his.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I really wish David Lynch did more for me. The Elephant Man is great. Mullholland Drive and Blue Velvet are very good. I fell asleep both times I tried to watch Inland Empire.

I've always preferred Cronenberg in the battle of the weird Davids.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

FishBulb posted:

Honestly if it wasn't for Twin Peaks I wouldn't even care about Lynch.

Yeah I should probably watch that but... TV shows are long, man, and the few random episodes I saw really didn't do it for me. I really need to rewatch Eraserhead. I saw it at a young enough age to gently caress me up but not an old enough age to remember most of it. For some reason I feel like if anything's gonna win me over it'll be that one.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Summer of Sam is weird as gently caress but I really like it. I can't think of any other serial killer movies that just focus entirely on random civilians that don't even really intersect with the serial killer plot in any meaningful way.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

BOB is my favorite TV villain ever, including Marlo Stanfield, George Hearst and whoever else.

Bobby Cannavale in Boardwalk Empire (I forget his character's name)

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Gyp Rosetti.

"Tell me about this 'spaghetti and meatballs'."

I really wanna go back and rewatch that whole season just for his character.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The season is much stronger because it focuses on him. The fourth season is all over the place. I appreciate its scope, but once again I always think whenever Boardwalk Empire goes for scope it seems like it's flailing its arms around saying "hey, look, this show's still on the air!"

Yeah in retrospect 3 might be the best season so far, although for me the high points of 2 are higher and 4 feels the most well-balanced.

I love the way Buscemi plays their scenes together too, like he's just perpetually flabbergasted at how increasingly angry Rosetti gets for no reason.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

In a lot of ways the whole show is worth it to see various actors pulling faces. Shea Wigham, Michael Shannon and Michael Stuhlbarg have raised it to an artform.

The face Stuhlbarg pulls when Rosetti calls him a "smug kike midget, creeping around like a dentist with the ether" slays me every drat time.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I'll never forget this but there's a good moment at the end of the second season where he's taking a phone call from Nicky and he hangs up the phone and there's a really weird pause where he feels triumphant. I don't know if it's the makeup or what but he looks like a drat ventriloquist's puppet. Its so creepy.

A ventriloquist's puppet is exactly what he looks like. It's gotten even more pronounced as the show's gone on, and it made the bits where he tried to act all warm-and-fuzzy in season 4 extra creepy.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

penismightier posted:

I think the trouble with both of these is that while they're both valid problems to have with a movie, everyone (myself included) has a tendency for some reason to stop with those phrases and not go into the why/how of them.

It's the same thing with "manipulative" really. Manipulative can be a positive or a negative, but it's a valid word when used right and with proper context, I don't think shunning the word from all criticism is a valid solution.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The only empty critical language that bugs me is when someone drops "all art is political" all on its lonesome as if it's a statement with any intrinsic value.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Literally The Worst posted:

"Style over substance" with nothing else to back it up is up there too.

Eeehhhh.... I mean, with nothing else to back it up, then sure I guess. But at least that's one of those things like "pretentious" where it actually has a real meaning even if 90% of the people that use it are doing it wrong.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

penismightier posted:

I think it's bullshit because being visually stimulating is a fine enough goal for a movie.

I mean it is and it isn't, as they say. Like, "stimulating" is pretty broad. If a movie is just rapid fire stimulus, then yeah, I'd like a bit more out of that movie. But then I don't like Michael Bay or Spring Breakers so maybe I'm playing to the wrong crowd.

It all depends what you want out of a movie is I guess what I'm saying. If you just want something that engages you on a visual, aesthetic level, then that's fine. But if you want a good story well-told, I think that's fine too. And once again, It's not always a negative thing. Redline is style over substance and it owns. Saw is style over substance and it blows.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

penismightier posted:

I think film writers tend to get bullshitty about it, though.

Oh without a doubt. Probably moreso even than any other art critics.

And that's not to say substance over style isn't a thing too (insert your favorite boring documentary here, The Central Park Five is the first that came to mind).

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CPL593H posted:

I'm not really disagreeing with you, but it makes me wonder why this is considered cheap in most genres but it's an essential and widely accepted part of horror films.

I dunno, horror movies almost get it the worst. Think of how many horror movies you've seen that were loaded with bullshit screeching-string-section musical stings.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CPL593H posted:

Absolutely true, but there are a lot of great examples too. The most referenced one would that scene in Jaws where Hooper is investigating that boat and a dead body pops out. Spielberg himself has often talked about how the musical que was what made that scene work so well.

Oh yeah, I mean, I'm an Italian horror fan so I'm definitely not knocking horror soundtracks on the whole.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Tars Tarkas posted:

FEARnet is dead, it's the second big site of 2014 that I read that's been shuttered/absorbed.

Oh poo poo.

Scott Weinberg's one of the two film critics I actually follow.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I'm still a little unclear on what PAX is, apparently it's arguing about oatmeal and rape.

My roommate's there right now, I should ask if thus reflects his experience.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CloseFriend posted:

I've never been to a con in my life. I really hate crowds and frankly, I don't see much point in paying to get ads shoved in my face for a weekend. I just don't see the appeal.

Comic cons can be fun if you're into comics. I'm not really interested in meeting celebrities or seeing movie trailers or that poo poo, but you can meet some neat artists and find some great comics for dirt cheap. The last Boston Comic Con was real fun, I might go again this year.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CPL593H posted:

I heard that they're stepping up their game a bit this year and having coolers guests. Eric Powell will be among them.

The guest list this year is certainly stacked, but whether it's significantly better than last year is a matter of preference. Last year had Mike Mignola, Brian Azzarello, Carl Barks, Joe Hill and Gabriel Rodriguez, Neal Adams, Mark Bagley, Lee Weeks, Erica Henderson, etc.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CPL593H posted:

I'm just hyped about Eric Powell. I've been a huge Goon fan since I was in high school.

Yeah Powell's dope although I haven't read the Goon in many years.

Aragones is easily the guest I find most exciting this year, although I'm kinda over waiting in line to get poo poo signed by people.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CPL593H posted:

I've never actually done that whole thing before, but I'd really like to meet Powell.

Most of the people I met last year were kinda quiet and awkward, except for Carl Barks who shot the poo poo with us for a good long while and Lee Weeks who is straight up one of the nicest people I've ever met. I didn't get to meet Hill and Rodriguez cuz their line was way too long for me to wait in but my friend did and said that both of them were super rad people (which corresponds to basically everything I've heard about Joe Hill, dude seems like a genuinely awesome person).

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Carl Barks seems like a chill guy.

Y'know I actually got my Scrooge McDuck names mixed up, it was Don Rosa, the dude behind The Life And Times of Scrooge McDuck that I met. Turns out Carl Barks has, uh, been dead for 15 years.

But yeah, Rosa was chill as hell. Speaks very candidly about his relationship with Disney.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Make your jokes less subtle; employ fart noises more.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

DNS posted:

It seems like ebay has eliminated a lot of the utility in going to a con to dig through the crates looking for that lost issue of Big Numbers or whatever.

Yeah but I'm less looking for rare finds and more just looking for good poo poo that's marked down to half price or less. Cons are great for that.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

There should be a mod challenge for Dickeye to only talk about movies for a month.

There should be a mod challenge for this entire thread to only talk about movies, period.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Tars Tarkas posted:

Yes, but not in CineD

Hahaha, what a baby.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

DNS posted:

Signed, Badpost McNoselfawareness

Don't sign your posts.

e:b

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hahaha, wow, holy poo poo. I didn't know I actually made anyone here that angry.

Sweet post though, the homophobia and ableism are a nice touch.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

For some reason the bit that keeps cracking me up is that he called me a yankee.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Noxville posted:

He's right that UncleBoogeyman is a bad poster though.

Don't sign your... oh, wait

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Aight, so what's my dinner movie for tonight? Do I bust my Elia Kazan cherry with On The Waterfront or my Bresson cherry with A Man Escaped?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Read On The Waterfront.

Aw man, you mean it's got subtitles?

A Man Escaped it is.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

not all Marvel films are good, but all good films are Marvel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hbomberguy posted:

My goodness, someone with a Disney's Marvel's Avengers character in his avatar doesn't like SMG. I wonder why...

I hope a detective out there can help me solve this mystery!

What? I love SMG! Why else would I fix his typo? I got his back.

• Locked thread