Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

This weekend I officially met CineD goons in person (besides TrixRabbi, he doesn't count)

Booooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Sheldrake posted:

I have found great Mexican food in Japan. None of the rest of you have any excuse.

How's Japan been anyway?

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Toebone posted:

I used to really enjoy getting stoned, muting How It's Made, and putting on Selected Ambient Works Vol. II. Just watching those machines, moving so precisely and perfect....

I don't think I ever whipped it out though.

Oh good, you were starting to scare me there.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

morestuff posted:

Inland Empire.

Yeah, I'd love for Lynch to go back to feature film (I know he's been doing some shorts here and there), but if he's gotta go out on any movie then it might as well be that one.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Frankly, the Elephant Man might be my favorite movie of his.

It's up there.

What's everyone's thoughts on Dune? I say it's better than Return of the Jedi.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The best thing about Dune is the amazing atmosphere.

Until Inland Empire, it was easily the most "Lynchian" film he ever made.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

CloseFriend posted:

I would absolutely love it if Lynch went into comics. I really, really wish it was more of a norm to see filmmakers pull a Joss Whedon/Mac Rauch/Mitch Hurwitz and continue their stories in the form of comics and/or novels when budgets preclude them from telling their stories on screen. I would do horrible, debasing things to see Lynch continue Twin Peaks in graphic novel form.

http://www.davidlynch.de/angry.html

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

weekly font posted:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2014/04/13/2014-mtv-movie-awards-winners-list/7683295/

Hey guys why aren't we talking about The Hunger Games 2 sweeping the most important awards show of them all?

Oh my god it beat 12 Years a Slave.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

I'm starting to get real sick of the dismissive criticism that a film is "emotionally manipulative." What does that even mean? That the movie uses music and imagery to evoke specific feelings in the audience? Like every other movie ever made?

"Emotionally manipulative" tells me nothing. It's not enough to say that the orchestra in Titanic swells during key scenes in order to make you feel sad. You have to explain why it doesn't work for you.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

DNS posted:

Yeah I've never found that persuasive. I mean I do get how people can go "oh that's too much" when a movie's laying it on really thick, but that's an aesthetic objection. There's no need to make it out like the movie's a reality show contestant trying to trick you into showing weakness. I have pretty much the opposite approach anyway, I'll give points to any movie that can make a hollow and jaded piece of poo poo like me actually feel something.

The thing is that every movie is trying to be emotionally manipulative. What do you think Lynch is doing with the industrial ambiance in Eraserhead? What is Welles doing when he uses backlighting to cast characters in shadow during Citizen Kane? It is the nature of art to emotionally manipulate the audience. It's when a film fails to achieve the desired emotional response that is the problem. The job of the critic is to say why that film failed to elicit the response it was aiming to get. Most people just leave it at "manipulative."

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

I think this is connected by people's strange hatred of melodrama (but they love Star Wars).

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

axleblaze posted:

Yeah, there's nothing wrong with saying something took you out of the movie, or that a movie was boring but that also shouldn't be where your criticism begins and ends. Even the thing that brought this up, something being emotionally manipulative, is something that can be a legit criticism, but you need more than just that or else it's just not actually giving any information. Like when people are saying a movie is emotionally manipulative, they usually mean that the ways that it's forcing emotions are really obvious and kind of forced. It's a criticism that isn't so much about the concept of emotional manipulation but how badly it's being done. People tend to disconnect from a movie when it's trying really hard to make them feel a certain way about stuff that they just aren't feeling and that tends to also put people in a position where the strings are more apparent and distracting.

The thing about manipulation is that literally every film does (or at least attempts) it. It's when a movie does it poorly that's the problem.

I suppose manipulation would be better used to describe a film with a twist, like Vertigo or Mulholland Drive, where it leads you to believe and feel a certain way about its characters before suddenly ripping the floor out from under you. The filmmaker is deceiving you so that the reality of the situation hurts more when it's revealed.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

axleblaze posted:

Well, yeah, that's what I was trying to say. All movies are manipulative but most of the time you don't really notice it, at least while your watching it, because the movie the movie is in fact effectively manipulating you. If you're watching a movie and can see it manipulating you, then that can be a problem, especially if it's not actually working.

Thinking about it, this creates this odd thing where the movies people tend to describe as "emotionally manipulative" are actually the ones that fail at manipulating their emotions.

Yeah, this is exactly what I've been saying. It's a poor phrase to use because it doesn't actually address the issue with the film, and is in fact, inaccurate.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

One thing I will never retract the use of "manipulative" for is soundtracks, because so many movies use dumb, obvious swells to heighten stuff best left up to the viewer. A laugh track is manipulative in an incredibly weird way, not only does it tell you you're supposed to be laughing, but it makes you laugh at stuff that isn't necessarily funny. It's weird, nervous laughter that laughs for you so you don't have to do anything at all.

I suppose it's a fair point about laugh tracks, but it still goes back to arguing when its done poorly. What is the ambient soundtrack in Eraserhead doing? It's telling you to feel frightened. The opening score to Star Wars is telling you to feel excited. And I don't think either of those films would be anywhere near as effective without their soundtracks. Again, it comes down to shoddy uses of obvious swells clearly attempting to guide the viewer. It's a failure to manipulate. It drew too much attention to itself.

TrixRabbi fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Apr 14, 2014

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

It's the same thing with "manipulative" really. Manipulative can be a positive or a negative, but it's a valid word when used right and with proper context, I don't think shunning the word from all criticism is a valid solution.

It's just that it's often used dismissively and goes unjustified. Hundu makes a good point about laugh tracks being a clear way of making somebody laugh without something being funny.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Sprecherscrow posted:

He'd probably go the SubG route and just stop posti-

Oh.

Has SubG posted since?

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

I started watching Leni Riefenstahl's Tiefland earlier, but I was too tired and had to take a nap. However, I highly recommend the opening scene for anybody who was disappointed that The Grey wasn't just Liam Neeson fighting wolves. Opening scene of Tiefland and a dude straight up murders a wolf with his bare hands. loving metal.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

DNS posted:

Batting cleanup for Dickeye. drat thats a new indignity even for a lovely retard like you.

You're like the chief dude who torments us with gay rear end crap about comics and music. Or at least #2 (thats not the only way you're like #2, lol) behind Dickeye. I want to plunge a knife into your yankee chest while whispering "shh, shh" like the guy from Saving Private Ryan. An insanely stupid and self-impressed fruit like you doesn't have any business looking down on the lowest paramecium, let alone Subg.

Does mentioning Saving Private Ryan mean this is a post about movies?

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

We have an IRC channel?

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

For some reason the bit that keeps cracking me up is that he called me a yankee.

I liked the part where he laughed at his own joke about comparing you to poop.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Rooney McNibnug posted:

Tangent into docu-chat: Has anyone see Errol Morris' The Unknown Known yet? If so, was it as maddening (in a good way) as it looks?

Yes and yes. If The Fog of War was McNamara laying his hand on the table, then The Unknown Known is proof that Rumsfeld will bluff to his grave. Contradiction and lie after contradiction and lie. Sometimes it's not even lies, it's just a complete lack of remorse or self-awareness. Worth seeing, but if you're looking to learn more about the Iraq War then check out Why We Fight (2005) instead.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Gatts posted:

Come visit me in Texas. We have this place called Redneck Heaven where the waitresses have southern drawl, made up like trailer trash in skimpy clothing, where on entering one says "Welcome to Redneck Heaven! Y'all sit where yah like, but mah face is taken!" and then as you are eating your gigantic chicken fried chicken covered in white gravy with sides one waitress can come by and tweak your nipples, while another massages your shoulders, and then another for no reason twerks in your face while you're trying to eat. They also have minnow shots (which I will not do because I value life...sorta) where you take a minnow out of a shot glass filled with water, throw it into the shot of alcohol, and then pound it down before it dies so it dies going down your gullet instead of the alcohol.

They celebrate your birthday by whipping your rear end with a belt. Note, that is not me.

So THIS is what people are talking about when they mention the patriarchy.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Aight, so what's my dinner movie for tonight? Do I bust my Elia Kazan cherry with On The Waterfront or my Bresson cherry with A Man Escaped?

On the Waterfront.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

CPL593H posted:

Everyone in here needs to go outside more. Myself included.

I feel this way too. I'm a terrible procrastinator and CineD enables me. I had plans to play tennis with a friend today but then it rained non-stop all afternoon.

That said, I miss SubG's excellent posts about the history of Chinese film. Learned a lot and got a really good list of films from those. Come back, SubG!

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

CPL593H posted:

There's a library in the next town over from mine that has all the Criterion Collection discs.

Hulu can suck it.

Criterion's Hulu Plus does have a good amount that's not available on DVD at all though.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Octy posted:

Hausu is a weird movie. Funny, though. In a way.

It's very deliberately a comedy. And a great one at that.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

I just got done rewatching Crash (2004, not the Cronenberg one) for a class. It's not as bad as I remembered, but it's still mostly terrible. It's like that "Everybody's A Little Bit Racist Sometimes" song from Avenue Q, but less subtle.

At the end, when Brendan Frasier gets out of his car and sees it's snowing, I half expected frogs to just start falling from the sky.

TrixRabbi fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Apr 16, 2014

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Sprecherscrow posted:

Hey, Magnolia was awesome. Don't sully Magnolia by comparing it to Crash.

I only do it because Crash is trying real, real hard to be Magnolia.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Sprecherscrow posted:

Crash in '05, Magnolia in '08. I guess that is a more significant similarity, but it still seems wrong to say Crash is trying to be Magnolia. The subject matters they approach with the "hyperlink cinema" thing are very different. It'd be like saying that rom-com New Years Eve was trying to be Magnolia.

Crash is very similar in tone and style even though the subject matter is different. It's a lot of "coincidences" of these people's lives coming together over the course of a day with those same piano music montages and the like.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Lord of the Rings is pretty good but I don't love them and don't have a huge urge to rewatch them anytime soon. However, they're very pretty and well-acted, and the editing is fantastic. The last 20-minutes of Return of the King is like Jackson making a Malick movie. Hell, it's like The Tree of Life ten years before The Tree of Life.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Samuel Clemens posted:

Do the extended versions add anything worthwile? I enjoyed the LotR films a lot, but at no point was I thinking "man, I wish this would go on even longer".

They needed to be shorter not longer.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Beyond sane knolls posted:

Yeah I'm watching Getaway right now and its just cruel how they paired his haggard rear end with Selena Gomez, perhaps the most baby-faced human currently living. Anyway this movie blows a lot, besides some possible subtext on Western capitalists wreaking havoc on ex-soviet infrastructures that I'm too lazy to unpack.

I don't know what it was about that movie, but I didn't think it was that bad. I'll give you the weak dialogue and terrible miscasting of Gomez, but I thought the car action was well done. And I liked the video game-esque concept of a disembodied voice telling this man to cause as much mayhem and destruction as possible (with time limits).

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Lordy, the Hugos are poo poo with film. Where is Her?

They could have gone with Her, The World's End, Computer Chess, or Upstream Color. Instead they chose Pacific Rim.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Computer Chess was bad though.

The opposite of what you said.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Spatula City posted:

Jesus Christ, the Hugo Awards suck. Surely there was one episode of a science fiction TV show somewhere in the world better than The Name of the Doctor, one of the worst Doctor Who episodes in Matt Smith's run. Right? gently caress, maybe not.
Also, of course they ignore Upstream Color, despite being far more sci-fi than Frozen. People rail about the Oscars, but they're actually significantly better than most awards (this should not be considered a complement to them, awards are terrible and people are bad at giving them).

Frozen was more fantasy. Do the Hugo Awards cover fantasy or only sci-fi?

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

General Ironicus posted:

A more interesting list is the Retro-Hugos, awards given for years where there were not Hugos given for whatever reason, usually because they predate the whole thing. This year they're doing 1939 and I think Orson Welles has a good shot at the dramatic presentation category: http://www.thehugoawards.org/hugo-history/1939-retro-hugo-awards/

No film category?

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

I just saw Transcendence. It's a lesser remake of #PostModem, getting the same message across in eight times the length, but it's still much better than it's being given credit for. Odd that there's been this slew of films lately that deal with Transhumanism. This, Her, Robocop 2014.

In some ways it reminded me of Cronenberg's The Fly. While we don't get as strong of a picture of who Will Castor (Depp) is before his transformation, we do see the loss of humanity. His computer self becomes reminiscent of the HAL 9000, and I'm glad somebody finally realized how robotic Depp's voice is and used it well. The sections with the underground lab reminded me of the military corridors from Day of the Dead and the sense of entrapment within them.

Overall, could have been stronger on character, which holds it back, but handles the subject matter well, plus it's gorgeous to look at.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

penismightier posted:

See people this is what I need, specific things. More specific things.

American Movie

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Yoshifan823 posted:

What movie should I set my heroin-fueled suicide to?

The Panic in Needle Park

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

I saw that movie 9, with the sock puppet things, stoned. It was still terrible.

Sprecherscrow posted:

I saw Kick rear end in the theater stoned and the "Tra La La(The Banana Splits)" scene was a religious experience.

I've grown up a good lot since I saw that movie in theaters, and now most it just seems really immature in hindsight. But that scene is still a goddamn masterpiece in itself. And it's probably the only good Nic Cage performance in the 2010s (bearing that I haven't seen Joe yet).

TrixRabbi fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Egbert Souse posted:

I saw El Topo and The Holy Mountain while loopy from food poisoning.

I watched The Thin Red Line for the first time when I was on percocets after having my wisdom teeth out. For months I associated that movie with extreme nausea.

The one time I had food poisoning I watched a bunch of MST3K in order to cope with the agony.

I don't really smoke weed anymore, and I never liked watching movies high. I much prefer to listen to music. I could rarely focus on a movie and would usually just fall asleep after ten minutes. Only movies I've ever watched all the way through high were 9 and 28 Days Later.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I'm waiting 'til I'm in my 50's.

I think retirement age will be the right time to start doing shrooms.

TrixRabbi fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Apr 22, 2014

• Locked thread