Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Is that a fancy way of saying you blurted in inappropriate locations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

I heard he's chicken.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
CineD, bits of D&D and tradgames are literally the only things keeping me on this site hth

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Enjoy the films if you want, but never pay money for them.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Non-child rapists worked on those movies, you know.

The non-child-rapists who are continuing to make cash on them actively chose to involve themselves with child rapists.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Vargo posted:

I can maybe see this logic with actors, producers and (some) d.p.s who have other options and can afford to choose whether or not to do a project with someone that makes them uncomfortable, but on every production there's like three times as many working-class union crew members who live job to job for whom personal compromises are necessary to keep their jobs and produce a steady paycheck.

I'm pretty sure those people don't get residuals from DVD sales, though. If I'm wrong, feel free to correct me, but my understanding is that the only people who continue to make money off a movie after it's wrapped are producers/investors, less often directors, and even less often than that, actors.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Hey, people who are into weird poo poo, I'm looking for other stuff in the Japanese underground cyberpunk movement from the late 80s and early 90s. I already have the first two Tetsuo movies, Tokyo Fist, 964 Pinocchio/Rubber's Lover, and Death Powder, but it kind of looks like that's all there is.

e: Well, other than Akira and Genocyber, but the way those two approach the aesthetic is (obviously) a fair bit different. I'm more looking for the ultra-lo-fi surreal horror stuff like what I mentioned.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I'm aware of those three and they all own. I'm just looking for more stuff in that specific movement, if it exists (there's a really specific aesthetic there that I want to study further).

Burst City and The Phantom of Regular Size are the only two I can find that I haven't at least acquired yet.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Wow. I really do have everything in that movement other than Burst City. :smith:

(I'm not counting the second movement that started with Electric Dragon and also includes Meatball Machine, Hellevator, Tokyo Gore Police, etc- it's a related aesthetic, but kind of a different one, really.)

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
YTOTD: Death Powder (1986)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gj8mNZGzvjk

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
YTOTD: Extreme Justice (1993), a made-for-HBO movie about Lou Diamond Phillips being recruited to a literal LAPD death squad by psycho alcoholic Scott Glenn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1LXCu3R3bM

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I think roughly yes? I don't know that much about LAPD poo poo (seeing as I'm not from LA).

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Also over the forums-downtime I ended up reading Johnny the Homicidal Maniac because I wanted to laugh derisively at cringeworthy 90s bullshit (plus the art is pretty good) and... it wasn't bad? :psyduck:

Like, did my taste in things suddenly get really terrible, or does that comic just get a really unfair rap because of the idiots who latched on to it?

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I was going to play devil's advocate with JTHM and people liking Johnny too much (I felt like JCV was trying to get across that he's an irredeemable monster but kind of failed and made him pretty sympathetic), but it's actually really hard to get a coherent read on the character in any direction because of how inconsistently he's written. The comic can't decide whether he's Literally Jeffery Dahmer, a tortured yet ultimately good person, or a smug rear end who thinks he's always the smartest guy in the room (when he typically isn't), and so it just kind of bounces between all three.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I mean, that's fair, I just get douche-chills writing out the title of that comic and the name of its creator.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Yeah it kind of owns because it's basically the LFest action movie but at the same time it's really really loving terrible.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Voodoofly posted:

Figured that it would have at least said socialized healthcare rather than respect for the UN, but I guess I know what the 2016 boogie man will be in political debates.

I think it's just a joke about how whenever the UN doing a thing comes up everyone's all like "OH HO HO WHAT WILL THEY DO, SEND A THREATENING LETTER"

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

Who said The Purge 2 was good? It was. I liked it. It was better than the first in every single way. Awesome semi remake of Escape From New York with a side of They Live.

Kinda figured it would be dope, it looked basically like what you're describing it as.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Hellboy 2 was better than the first one (which was just decent), so hopefully PR2 will follow the same quality curve.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Ugghhhh as if I needed to be any more hyped for MGS5.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I mean yeah the vagina bomb thing is kind of dumb but it's not nearly enough to counteract the insane amount of good will Kojima's built up over the years and everything else that makes MGS5 look loving fantastic

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
If you don't have your PSP modded for SNES games on the go, you're doing it wrong. Also if you're not playing Peace Walker on the HD collection you're doing it double-wrong. :smugmrgw:

Also I don't get why everyone shits on Ground Zeroes for being short, it's a budget game that's basically a supersized demo for the real MGSV. Pretty sure it being short was kind of a given.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Paging Dickeye. Your ability to suffer through Spawn poo poo is requested.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
To expand on that a bit, I've found out that a lot of the Spawn video games are actually not bad at all (there's like one straight-up bad one out of six, which is a crazy batting average for such a lovely license) and I kinda want to LP as many of them as I can.

The problem with this is, my knowledge of Spawn lore pretty much boils down to half-remembered poo poo from the HBO show and the movie, and the ones I've played so far explain pretty much jack poo poo. The SNES game has you fight Overt-Kill in the first boss fight and literally doesn't even tell you his name until the rematch, so if you don't know who he is it's just some random cyborg guy out of nowhere who hits you really hard. So I want someone who's read the comics to co-commentate and hopefully explain what in the hell is going on so I don't have to say "because reasons," "because 90s comics" and "because gently caress you that's why" every time I try to fill in some of the gaps these games are leaving.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Literally The Worst posted:

Dear god what do you want from me.

Oh dear god.

I take it that's a yes? :unsmigghh:

Swagger Dagger posted:

Haha, "Overt-Kill"

90s comics are goofy as hell, film at 11

honestly like 3/4 of why I want to do this is because torturing Dickeye is funny

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

MoaM posted:

And on a completely unrelated note, is there any reason that I shouldn't watch the "Assembly Cut" of Alien 3? It seems like if all it does is *add* scenes, it shouldn't hurt.

It adds something like 40 minutes of scenes. They make the movie less dumb, to be sure, but at the same time a lot of the effects are really rough if I remember correctly, and it's kinda overly long (one of the few things I really liked about the theatrical cut is that it doesn't overstay its welcome).

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Timby posted:

Actually, my wife is out of town until Friday, and I haven't watched any of the Alien movies in ages (she thinks they're too scary)

Your wife sounds like a colossal wet blanket, are you sure you're actually happy? Blink once for yes, blink twice for no

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I was kidding :stare:

e: Just to give this some content, YTOTD: Go West (1923), an interesting little silent Western.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-TYg0-0nJY

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Seriously guys Go West owns

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
It's kinda funny how Near Dark is pretty much an Aliens supporting cast reunion.

e: Apparently someone told Adrian Pasdar that vampires perpetually act like they're zonked out on Xanax.

e2: I'm starting to remember why I love Bill Paxton. It's because he's basically another Nic Cage.

SALT CURES HAM fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Jun 29, 2014

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Krazyface posted:

I know roughly nothing about Near Dark so the fact that you spoilered what you did is really doing my head in.

It's not an actual spoiler. Dude's just absolutely psychotic in most of the movies he's in.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Did anyone watch the all-monkey silent Western I posted yesterday? Because holy poo poo I still can't believe that exists.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Oh weird. In their Conan interview for the 9th season they said the next one would probably be their last, or at most, second-to-last.

Glenn Howerton did an AMA on Reddit a few months back and basically said they're gonna keep doing it for as long as FX will let them. :v:

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

penismightier posted:

Today my mom said she was excited for Better Call Saul because she likes "that guy who plays Saul, Van Oderberg."

Is her favorite movie The Best Beef in the South?

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Friends Are Evil posted:

Finally got around to watching The Visitor. It's genuinely kind of impressive.

I have a poster for it hanging up in my bedroom. :smug:

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Why do documentaries about creepy things always kid-glove the hell out of their subjects? I watched this NatGeo documentary on Russian brides last night because I wanted to cringe, and even though all of the dudes it depicts are giant loving goonlords who do their best to dig their own graves, it only pays the barest of lip service to how hosed up the whole thing is and otherwise treats it as ~the cutest thing ever, gigglesquee!~.

Like, there's about 5 minutes of talking about how the reason why people do this is because they're huge misogynists who want a submissive wife they can abuse/murder, and 45 of "oh look at this guy and his imported third-world wife! Aren't they adorable even though he's a massive goonlord and she looks like she would chew her leg off to get away from him if she had to?"

From what I hear every brony documentary that's been made is also pretty much the same: all "oh it's so cool that they're redefining masculinity!" no "oh my god they made loving pony fleshlights :barf:" even though the latter is way more representative of the Brony Experience.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I'm just wondering what the hell would possess someone to make a documentary about something that is 99% bad, and focus on the tiny little sliver of it that's good instead of the vast majority of it that's bad.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
America has a long and proud tradition of minced oaths, gosh darn it. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Skwirl posted:

I don't think I've seen enough political films (I know all films are political, but gently caress you, we're talking about Battle of Algiers, not some heternormative rom com) to make a good top ten, but I can't imagine Battle of Algiers being left off that list.

All films are political :smugmrgw:

• Locked thread