Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

X-Ray Pecs posted:

You're watching a NatGeo documentary, of course they're not going to go all-in on how creepy these people are, because they're initially broadcasting on some NatGeo channel. You can't show the extreme misogyny behind imported wives without disturbing a large portion of the audience, who only want to see an entertaining piece of information on the subject. The audience wants to be a little grossed-out because that's where the interest is, but they don't want to watch something too soul-crushing, in which case they'll simply turn it off.

Then why the gently caress make a documentary about it in the first place. Like, that's really not a subject you can kid-glove without it just coming off as really really... off. I Think We're Alone Now levels of creepiness are the baseline for it.

Also, best political film is Tetsuo: The Iron Man, suck it nerds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Does anyone know what the score for The Purge 2 is like? It looks awesome but I can't imagine anything but an ultra-80s John Carpenter esque synth score fitting it, and the lack of that in the trailer is mildly worrying.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Unpleasant movies can be dope, but frankly if there's nothing there but unpleasantness I can't get behind it.

Like, I love Eraserhead, Only God Forgives, Possession, and Come and See (which I really need to take off of my shameful list), but I somewhat dislike Salo and Antichrist and I've really soured on Cannibal Holocaust, because with all three they come off like the filmmakers were thinking "I want to make a movie that shocks people!" rather than just telling the story they wanted to tell and having it coincidentally be super uncomfortable.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

GonSmithe posted:

Again, yes. I've tried eggs literally every way, I'm a cook. I still don't like them.

Have you tried them in shorts?

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

GonSmithe posted:

Again, yes. I've tried eggs literally every way, I'm a cook. I still don't like them.

Have you tried absorbing raw ones rectally?

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Nobody ever watch Blacula until CPL has posted a shorts pic :colbert:

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Kelvin, bitches :getin:

That said I like Celsius for scientific stuff and Fahrenheit for outside temperatures/cooking/etc.

e: gently caress beaten. I need to wait until I'm on my laptop to make jokes.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Criminal Minded posted:

Have we discussed that loving terrible C&H fanfiction thing that's going around?

http://imgur.com/gallery/H5cJHc4/

People are actually moved by this.

Ugh. If it was just a short story about a dying old man seeing his imaginary friend from childhood again, it would be sweet, but the shoehorned in C&H stuff really drags it down.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
You know, I feel like I shouldn't be saying this given its history, but fuuuuuuuck the Tangerine Dream score for Legend is good. I honestly like it better than the "real" score.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjyM2dS3X1I

I really wish Tangerine Dream and Vangelis would do film scores again, one of the best parts of GTA5 was the TD work on the score.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

TrixRabbi posted:

Any of you ever have days where you want to watch a movie but you just can't find anything you feel like watching?

Ask your new ladyfriend. :getin:

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I've posted drunk, high, on shrooms, on doses of Adderall that would kill a bull elephant, blacked out on klonopin (much to my embarrassment), and on painkillers.

I mean, other than "high" the rest of those have only happened once or twice, but I think about a third of my SA posts have been made stoned out of my gourd.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Is anyone else getting really, really sick of Frozen poo poo being everywhere?

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

:drat:

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Purge: Anarchy was super dope guys. It was pretty much LF: the Movie and I greatly enjoyed that

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
:iit:

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Hewlett posted:

Quick: what's a good palate cleanser for Antichrist? (full disclosure: still loved Antichrist but holy poo poo.)

The Room

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Hewlett posted:

This reads like the Works Cited page for The Purge: Anarchy.

Which was dope as gently caress.

e: Seriously, a massive John Carpenter homage just came out in wide release in tyool 2014, how is CineD not blowing up about this

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I'm going to laugh so loving hard if the big twist in Lucy is just "oh poo poo she was really just amped up on super-meth the whole time and hallucinating"

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Gatts posted:

Beer is mostly lame. Mixed drinks is where it's at. Old Fashioneds, Fitzgerlands, etc. Water too with the rare pepsi. AND SHAKES!

Do you live in the 1940s?

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

axleblaze posted:

So this has just been like an entire day when gen chat has been having dumb arguments about how their personal taste is somehow the correct taste to have even though, especially when it comes to food and drink, that's something that just plain varies from person to person without much that person can do about it, right?

I wasn't really arguing with his taste, just pointing out that he basically sounds like a time traveller v:v:v

On an unrelated note I've been watching an old 80s anime called Armored Trooper VOTOMS and uh it sure is a thing. I was digging the gently caress out of it for a while but then the female lead got kidnapped and gang raped out of nowhere. Jesus gently caress. :catstare:

e: It's basically played for comedy too, what the gently caress Japan?

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Dissapointed Owl posted:

wow wow, you are telling me this happened in an anime??

Given that so far it was basically "Gundam but more cyberpunk" it just seemed really jarring.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
50 Shades of Grey (1986), starring Brian Cox as Grey and Jenette Goldstein as not-Bella, directed by Michael Mann, score by Tangerine Dream, cinematography by Deakins.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Also seconding that Secretary is a better BDSM movie than 50 Shades will ever be.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Slice of life: guess whose debit card got stolen by a trucker who proceeded to buy 200 bucks worth of gas using my paycheck!

Fortunately Bank of America is letting me do hell of chargebacks, but I have a feeling I'm banned from a lot of Illinois truck stops.

(Not that it matters, since I live in Texas.)

Also, Rageaholic, anything interesting going on in NOLA this weekend? I'm taking a trip down there tomorrow night through Tuesday morning and neither I nor SALT CURES VAG know enough about the lay of the land to plan anything.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Rageaholic, would greatly appreciate food recs, tia

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

GonSmithe posted:

Dude raved about packaged hummus, why are you asking him for food recs?

Because dude lives in NOLA and I'm visiting NOLA and literally the only NOLA restaurant I know of is Cafe du Monde.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
So it's my second full day of visiting SALT CURES VAG and she's already tired of my bullshit whoopee

e: also waking up the day after your birthday to find that your SO hosed another dude while you were passed out drunk is not a good feeling

like tbf we are poly but one of the boundaries we set was "no bringing people home to gently caress them unless it's both of us" plus it was literally my goddamn birthday

SALT CURES HAM fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jul 28, 2014

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

e: and somewhat drunk

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I literally loving deserve death I am an unbelievably lovely person and burn every god drat bridge I possibly can

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
e: edited per Vargo.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I know Vargo told me to stop posting but uh, my dad is very much alive :psyduck:

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
slice of life: I have been locked in this house for a day and a half, there's ghetto bars on the doors and windows so i physically cannot leave without the key. gently caress this gay earth.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I am being 100% serious

e: anyone know a cheap locksmith in New Orleans? I don't have much cash on me

e2: Treme area, so yeah, the ghetto

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Fat Lou posted:

How do you get locked...inside of a house?

The bars on the front door won't open without a key, the owner of the key hosed off yesterday and isn't answering their phone or texts.

e: taking bets on the likelihood that this will end with grizzled 40-year-old me being dumped out on the street, eating a live octopus, and beating a bunch of dudes up with a hammer

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Also this is directly related to what I was embarassingly drunkposting about so yeah my "vacation" has sucked a dick so far

e:

the lock does nothing without a key

SALT CURES HAM fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jul 28, 2014

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
SCV apparently went somewhere and got drunk and is currently trying to figure out how to get home and let me out. Freedom is looming.

Yay for mutual friends whose heads aren't lodged up their asses who can yell at people over facebook for you.

SALT CURES HAM fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jul 28, 2014

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
The SCH saga has ended because I'm a colossal loving idiot and acted clingy to her so now I'm waiting in a greyhound station overnight and got threatened with violence by her cousin's husband.

Rageaholic, impromptu goonmeet? I want to try and salvage this trip.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I was upset and worried because of the sex with other dude/impromtu loving off thing and I tried to call her a shitload of times and said some really dumb angry poo poo over text. That was clingy and was my fault and etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
The angry texting had nothing to do with her locking me in and everything to do with me being scared shitless that she was breaking up with me because I threw out a lot of my life plans to be with her and didn't really have a backup plan.

e: Smoked a blunt with a stereotypical gangsta named Mario after recounting my tale. This trip is now a little salvaged.

SALT CURES HAM fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jul 29, 2014

• Locked thread