Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

LesterGroans posted:

Yeah, for me it goes:

1. Rocky

2. Rocky II, Rocky III, Rocky Balboa, Rocky IV all tied

3. Rocky V

4. Rocky VII: Adrian's Revenge
I'd agree with this order.

The UbiSoft video games were better than one would've expected, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Beyond sane knolls posted:

Whats the consensus on crashing a stranger's party thats going on in the apartment directly beneath you? Acceptable?
Tell them you're a distant relative of the guy who lives there and call yourself Uncle Penis.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

GonSmithe posted:

The ONLY reason I could support someone for going to Chipotle on that street instead of Baja's is because it's a SUPER narrow restaurant. Like, the length of a small hallway. Otherwise there's really no excuse, because they also make white people burritos.
I really hope there's a Mexican restaurant somewhere that calls these "burritos gringos."

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Gatts posted:

Seriously. Sometimes the best places are the dirty hole in the wall places in a ghetto where you are likely to be shot dead. The danger adds a zest of flavor to the food and life other places don't have.
My favorite taquerias have all looked like giant silver Twinkies. There's something irresistibly romantic about dining inside an Airstream.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Mine will always be Mulholland Drive. That movie has bounced around in my head more than any other movie I've ever seen. It took me years just to figure out what I even thought of that movie. I eventually realized that the reason it stuck with me was because it's one of the best movies I've ever seen in my life.

EDIT: I do wish we had more of a glimpse of its world, though. It's one of those movies like Inglourious Basterds or Dick Tracy where I feel like I've peeped at its inner workings through a keyhole. I know a good movie is supposed to leave me wanting more, but these movies leave me wanting a gently caress of a lot more.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Literally The Worst posted:

I never said that!
CPL was using you. For your butt. We all knew it. But it's hard to tell someone these things.
I'm glad all the arting I've been trying to do will pay off someday.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

I would absolutely love it if Lynch went into comics. I really, really wish it was more of a norm to see filmmakers pull a Joss Whedon/Mac Rauch/Mitch Hurwitz and continue their stories in the form of comics and/or novels when budgets preclude them from telling their stories on screen. I would do horrible, debasing things to see Lynch continue Twin Peaks in graphic novel form.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

morestuff posted:

Mitch Hurwitz wrote a comic book?
That's why I added novels. He's releasing a Clarissa Explains it All novel later this year.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

morestuff posted:

Looks like that's Mitchell Kriegman, not Hurwitz.
Goddammit. I always confuse my Mitchells. So neither of them tormented their neighbor Mr. Wilson?

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Beyond sane knolls posted:

Still ain't seen Fire Walk With Me, but even Twin peaks at its worst is entertaining. Call me a wrong idiot but the antics between Andy and Dick Tremayne is one of my favorite bits of the whole series. gently caress the whole Windom Earle plot line though.
I watched Fire Walk With Me for the first and only time hours after surgery, flopped alone on the bed of a dingy hotel with the worst nausea of my life thanks to anesthesia.

Don't do that.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

CPL593H posted:

What makes me sad about Melissa McCarthy is that she's one of those fantastic actors who gets nothing but poo poo material.
I feel like overweight comediennes tend to get typecast almost instantly as gormless and overbearing, like her, Rebel Wilson, and Artemis Pebdani.

I hate his loving face. I don't mean that in a facetious way I mean I literally hate his face and want to hit it.
I do too, but with most of his characters it seems like part of the point. It kind of works to the advantage of The Master and Breaking Bad to see this guy who looks creepy as hell at first sight.

TrixRabbi posted:

I'm starting to get real sick of the dismissive criticism that a film is "emotionally manipulative." What does that even mean? That the movie uses music and imagery to evoke specific feelings in the audience? Like every other movie ever made?

"Emotionally manipulative" tells me nothing. It's not enough to say that the orchestra in Titanic swells during key scenes in order to make you feel sad. You have to explain why it doesn't work for you.
I always took it to mean "so overt about its message that it comes off as mawkish or maudlin." At least that's how I felt about Soul Food.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

DNS posted:

Yeah I've never found that persuasive. I mean I do get how people can go "oh that's too much" when a movie's laying it on really thick, but that's an aesthetic objection. There's no need to make it out like the movie's a reality show contestant trying to trick you into showing weakness. I have pretty much the opposite approach anyway, I'll give points to any movie that can make a hollow and jaded piece of poo poo like me actually feel something.
I can't find any instances where I used the word "manipulative" in a review, but I feel more-or-less the same as you.

I thought The Majestic was a good example of a movie that others called manipulative that I found surprisingly heartwarming. I wouldn't call it a work of art, but it did its job better than I'd have expected.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

CineD should really put out a style guide with words to avoid, e.g. "overrated," "problematic," "pretentious," "boring," "manipulative"… I'd propose to release it in book form, but, well… :(

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Let's just quit using words altogether when talking about films. If you can't relay your criticism of a film through scat singing, you don't really belong in Cinema Discusso.
I do all my reviews through interpretive dance. I had to eat a lot of tacos before I could dance my review of Salo.

DetoxP posted:

Man, I don't know, if we can't call a film boring then we're entering a world that's really detached from the actual experience of watching the film. My policy is that the worst thing a movie can be is boring (unless it's the point - in which case I'll let Jeanne Dielman go).
I actually feel this way too, although even intentional boredom irritates the gently caress out of me, like with l'Avventura.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

TrixRabbi posted:

It's just that it's often used dismissively and goes unjustified. Hundu makes a good point about laugh tracks being a clear way of making somebody laugh without something being funny.
I always think of this.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Speaking of lovely fandoms, judging by the video description and comments, it looks like MRAs are identifying with Bill Burr. :negative:

EDIT: Not that I think the video ranks among his better or more on-point material.

CloseFriend fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Apr 15, 2014

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

cat doter posted:

I'm not even sure what point he's trying to make here, something about reasoning better separate from acting? And that maybe the woman deserves it based on the reason? Real borderline terrible stuff there.
I couldn't make sense of it myself (and it bugged me because when he's on he's so much better than this). But reading it I just thought to myself how horrified I'd be if I became a hero to MRAs.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Gonz posted:

The Phoenix Comicon is shaping up to be pretty rad; there are still some big names that will likely be added to the lineup in the next month and a half.

Me? I wanna meet MacGyver/Col. Jack O'Neill, Malcolm Reynolds, Faith, Capt. Jack Harkness, Ash and The Governor.
I wouldn't be surprised to see Jason David Frank on the list eventually. Dude shows up to every con he can find. I've never met him, but if his Facebook page is any indication he's a super-cool guy.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Yoshifan823 posted:

edit: Y'know, the Anchorman 2 bluray has three different versions included in the movie. How long until we get a movie where they just release all of the footage and say "gently caress it, see if you can make a better movie".
I just watched Anchorman 2 for the first time today. I enjoyed it, but nowhere near enough to watch three different cuts out of sheer curiosity.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

I've never been to a con in my life. I really hate crowds and frankly, I don't see much point in paying to get ads shoved in my face for a weekend. I just don't see the appeal.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Goddrat, Fleisher Studios was amazing.

For some reason, this short in particular reminds me of Winsor McCay. Now I totally have a hankering for Little Nemo.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Holy poo poo, the newest episode of Bob's Burgers is the greatest skewering of bronies I've ever seen.

It also came at an interesting time for me. Like Tina, I just found out yesterday that I own some books that are worth some decent coin, but I still can't bring myself to sell them because they have even more sentimental value. :smith:

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

I dunno. I quit posting in Games and BSS several years ago because I realized I just wasn't fitting in. Maybe he thought that about CineD. I thought he fit in fine, but sometimes people think that when they shouldn't.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Skwirl posted:

I like how he is one of the few people who would debate SMG on his own terms. I also liked how we all started posting extraneous information after a movie title in support of him. Speaking of which, for anyone in the US of A, Mean Girls (dir. Mark Waters, writers Rosalind Wiseman (book), Tina Fey (screenplay)) is on Netflix streaming. Watch it, it's amazing.
Oh, that explains why all the times people wrote "DP" they only named one man. :v:

CPL593H posted:

Everyone in here needs to go outside more. Myself included.
I need to hit my art harder. I just got done with my homework for the day but I'm sleepier than poo poo. :smith:

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Dickeye's one step ahead of me. I own the Earthbound Player's Guide and Xenogears Perfect Works, both of which could apparently fetch decent monies on the eBay, but I can't bring myself to sell either one because they have sentimental value.

EDIT: I'm actually a little pissed that they're worth so much, because now I'm more worried about losing them.

EDIT2: I also have Batman Animated by Paul Dini and Chip Kidd, which is supposedly worth some good money too. Can't bring myself to sell it either. gently caress.

CloseFriend fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Apr 16, 2014

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Bryan Singer no. :smith: I don't wanna believe the Usual Suspects and the first two X-Men movies came out of the mind of a sexual abuser (even if Chinatown already did :smith: ).

So what do you guys make of this article pointing to specific Hollywood movies that make people more liberal? Every movie we see literally changes our brains in some way, but some of these choices seem a bit obvious.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Between blockbuster and best buy, any job where you have to wear a blue polo shirt seems like a living nightmare.
Also Walmart. Come to think of it, I can't remember the last time I saw a person wear a blue polo shirt just to wear one. Somehow we already have this acculturated idea of "blue polo shirt = lovely job."

Maxwell Lord posted:

Whoever came up with the idea of having all retail jobs depend on selling the customer warranties, memberships, magazine subscriptions, etc. clearly hates both employees and customers.
I worked in a grocery store deli for two years. On the one hand, I didn't have to do that. But on the other, that job is where rapists and murderers go when they die.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Criminal Minded posted:

Gabriel Garcia Marquez died, y'all. :smith:
One Hundred Years of Solitude is one of the best books I've ever read in my life. I know he was at death's door for a long time, so it's not a surprise, but it's still a big loving bummer. :smith:

I still have Love in the Time of Cholera checked out from the library; I'll have to read it as an act of pouring one out for my favorite non-Bulgakov magical realist author.

EDIT: I was just talking with a Salvadoran friend of mine about him. She read a bunch of his books in high school, and it's pretty amazing how little was lost in translation, considering we each read One Hundred Years of Solitude in our own languages.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

So I rented Ghost in the Shell. If I understand correctly, Innocence is the sequel to the first film, and Stand-Alone Complex is a reboot of some sort?

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

I thought this might interest CineD: Kim Novak got a bunch of poo poo for how she looked at the Oscars.

I found it uncalled for, the derision she got. One can't fault her for acting on the torrent of pressure that women receive to look young and stem the effects of aging at any cost. It just pisses me off to see people reduce a venerable actress and a drat talented artist to a plastic surgery joke. She deserves better.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

YTotD: India has a problem with people making GBS threads in the streets. UNICEF made this as a response. This is 100% real.

Dan Didio posted:

She looks like a spoon with too many corn flakes on it, but it's a bit absurd that she has to take flack from Donald Trump of all people.
Pretty much. Him complaining about anyone else's fake appearance is like the pot calling the kettle a pot.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Jack Gladney posted:

If I'm going to be Marty McFly for Halloween, should I be 1985 Marty or 2015 Marty?

There are replica 2015 jackets on ebay for like $150 that will probably go way up before Halloween. 1985 Marty would be 100% DIY, but probably be around $100 because of the down jacket.
Well, since 2015 will arrive exactly two months after Halloween, you should probably get started on that early.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Five Cent Deposit posted:

Can you guys help me think of some great park bench scenes for a friend? There are so many that I feel like I don't even notice them - to me it's lazy filmmaking. We've thought of a few but are kind of tapped out.
Would the ending of Ghost World count? There's also a quick scene in Tommy Boy that takes place on a bench.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

DetoxP posted:

God do I hate the word "blurt". Not every word has to be surprisingly accurate onomatopoeia.

edit: Actually it's not even that accurate but it sure is correctly evocative.
I never liked the word "tit" for the exact opposite reason. When I think of a fleshy mass attached to a woman's pectoralis surrounded by an irrational taboo, "tit" never sounded right to me.

On the other hand, when I hear a Cockney derisively call someone a "little tit," that does sound right. It's one of those words like "bellend" or "wanker" that seems made for angry British people.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Sprecherscrow posted:

Maybe Kojima could introduce Jodorowsky to SUDA51.
Don't tease about what could be. :mad:

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Slice of Life: A good friend of mine is taking one of my classes, even though I begged him not to. (I ended up having to clear it with my boss, so it's all above-board.) He bombed the gently caress out of this test I'm grading. There's really no good way of telling a friend that he shat the bed and that you have to record the bed-making GBS threads for your job. :(

EDIT: I feel a very strong temptation to write on it, "Look on the bright side; nobody will think I'm giving you preferential treatment!"

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

penismightier posted:

See people this is what I need, specific things. More specific things.
I collect concept art books, so if I had $100 in Amazon money I'd make a beeline for this.

Incidentally, does anybody know if Amazon accounts can be used internationally? Because I have Prime and I could save bank on shipping.

It's still a gag but it's a different gag. I think that scene is actually better with the post-it gag and not Suzie singing, even though Fat Bottom Girls is, in fact, the best song. It's mathematically proven.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMnjF1O4eH0
The fact that it's sung so passionately by a gay man makes me feel better about the empirical awesomeness of the ladies of Callipygia.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Sheldrake posted:

If you mean ordering something from Amazon.jp and getting free shipping through your Prime, no, that doesn't work. Also, stuff takes about 5-10 days to get across the ocean even with Prime.
Aw, crap. Well, I suppose I can learn to live with the idea of not having every art book in the universe. Besides, everything in it probably appears on starmen.net and/or the Earthbound wiki anyway, since they take the Mother series more seriously than I've ever seen anyone take anything.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

I Before E posted:

For For Fake
For the first time ever, I misread "F For Fake" as "For gently caress's Sake," and now I'm sad the latter isn't also an Orson Welles movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Sheldrake posted:

"For gently caress's Sake: Orson Welles' Career as a Voice Actor"
This is so amazing that its lack of existence makes me morose.

Skwirl posted:

I feel like this should be a new version of hyku, 2:3 :3.
For some reason, now I can't stop trying to make haikus out of movie titles.

Doctor Zhivago
Lawrence of Arabia
Great Expectations

That's right. David Lean haiku. That poo poo just happened.

EDIT: Change the third one to Gulliver's Travels for an Omar Sharif haiku!

Hewlett posted:

S-A
T-U-R
D-A-Y
Stop making me keep on dancing to the rock and roll. :mad:

CloseFriend fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Apr 23, 2014

• Locked thread