Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

lovely Mexican chain chat: anyone ever been to a Baja Fresh? There's one in the union on my campus and it's... acceptable I guess. It was pretty disheartening when I asked for sour cream and they pulled out a loving caulk gun to squeeze out a cylinder of sour cream onto my burrito though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

I miss having a Taco Cabana around :smith:

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Yoshifan823 posted:

I mean, Panda is just a mass-marketed version of American Chinese cuisine, which is why I don't feel bad saying that their Orange Chicken is almost definitely laced with crack, because it is amazing.

The Orange Chicken is like their only decent thing though. The Teriyaki chicken is okay I guess but their fried rice is so god drat bland that I can't eat it if they forget my soy sauce packets, which they do about half of the times I go.

e: don't go to a Chinese place if the name of the place isn't two nonsense words, which may include "happy" and "China"

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

I need to watch Inland Empire again. I cannot for the life of me wrap my head around it, it's just so bizarre.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

The Raid 2 takes a while to get going, but when it does, it gets going

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

The Fargo TV show is pretty good yall

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

DetoxP posted:

So where I live we just had the worst mass murder in our city's history because at a party celebrating the end of the school year (which I was also busy celebrating at the time), 5 people were stabbed to death. No alcohol, no drugs, and at this point, seemingly no motive. What the gently caress?

And the killer was invited to the party and welcomed by everyone there. I can't make sense of it.

Just 5? America wins again :smug:

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Criminal Minded posted:

Gabriel Garcia Marquez died, y'all. :smith:

I honestly didn't know he was still alive.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

GOG.com has Alpha Centauri on sale for $2.39, yall

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

The extended Return of the King has the scene with the Mouth of Sauron, which is great. That is one loathsome motherfucker. And I'll second that the Two Towers one is good about fleshing out Faramir.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Swagger Dagger posted:

I don't know if you guys want to count the ESPN 30 for 30 documentaries as movies since they're made for TV but holy gently caress is the Hillsborough documentary required viewing for anyone with a passing interest.

Edit: seriously it's one of the best documentaries I've ever seen, right up there with Harlan County or Hoop Dreams or whatever.

I missed it when it aired. Hopefully it'll go up on Netflix soon. The Tonya Harding one they did for the Winter Olympics went up real fast.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

GonSmithe posted:

For sure. The Two Escobars is probably one of my favorite documentaries ever, and I could give less of a poo poo about soccer.

Yeah that one is great. I also really liked Once Brothers, the one about Vlade Divac and Drazen Petrovic. The Reggie Miller one is pretty fun.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Computer Chess was bad though.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Tars Tarkas posted:

If they don't have a TA program or something that will cover the additional costs and give you something to live on, I don't see it being worth it.

Um how is Vargo going to have time to do a Master's, be a TA, and moderate CineD? :colbert:

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

effectual posted:

I took my 11yr old niece to dinner and as we were talking she mentioned a friend showin her the urban dictionary and redtube. I had no idea what to say, so I just told her there's a lot of weird stuff on the internet and she should just close a site asap if it's bad. Then she asked me for examples, and before I knew it I ejaculated "goatse". Now she keeps hounding me to say what that is. I told her to ask her urban dic friend. Ugh.

:goonsay:

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

DetoxP posted:

I felt that the second half of Battleship really dropped off in quality but that's also coincidentally the point where I stopped being stoned as all hell (and oddly the only time I've ever gone to the theatre under the influence of anything), so I don't think I've ever been able to properly review the film so I didn't talk about it much when y'all were into it.

This but with Hancock.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Name the main character Buck Naked. Alternately, Rock Johnson.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Coffee And Pie posted:

Right now, I'm writing a play where two people are trapped on a roof during a crappy apartment party and just talk while they split a month-old box of wine they found. I have no idea how I'm going to end it, so I guess they're just gonna get abducted by aliens.

They gently caress, and then 9/11 happens.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Literally The Worst posted:

Eltingville Club is a comic about my life and CPL made me read it because he's a piece of poo poo and he hates me. Pretty great book that's spot on about why comics fans are the loving devil though.

I can't imagine a comic about a guy who posts about comics and wrestling on the internet all day would be very interesting.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

zVxTeflon posted:

are you guys putting goony rear end poo poo in your e-dating profiles like zizek or some crap?

hey ladies come check out my big other if you know what i mean

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Dissapointed Owl posted:

You're thinking of the sinew sector and muscle metropolis.

I'm pretty sure Muscle Metropolis is a gay club

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

CloseFriend posted:

My favorite aspect of the Bond series has always been the villains, specifically the semi-cartoony ones who exist in that gray area between badass and superhuman. That's why the only post-Moore Bond movie that ever really grabbed me was Goldeneye. I feel like it was the last one with really distinctive, memorable, interesting villains (mostly Onatopp).

Yeah Blofeld and Samedi and Scaramanga were pretty cool. Xenia too. Although I will say that Javier Bardem's character in Skyfall was pretty cool.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Most of the radio stuff in the grand theft auto games is pretty funny. The Danny McBride talk show in 5 is fantastic.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Sheldrake posted:

I'm very much in the 'no fictional character should be a Yankees fan' camp. Unless they're the villain, of course.

Also no real person should be a Yankees fan.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Anonymous Robot posted:

Drive Angry loving rules.

Agreein wit dis

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

RIP Vilerat

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

bows1 posted:

Still haven't seen a single Kurosawa film. I hesitate to watch them cause lately it seems the only way I can pay attention to a movie is in the theater or on a plane. Too many devices

Rashomon is pretty short and easy to follow.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

TrixRabbi posted:

Yeah, though that's the US South. If we're talking real down South we gotta be getting at Africa and South America.

The Road Warrior

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

I agree, taking vodka shots and chasing with mayonnaise is a horrifying practice and should be abolished.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

My favorite case in point is Adrien Brody. He truly doesn't give a poo poo and will just be in anything.

Nicolas Cage

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

TrixRabbi posted:

What are everybody's favorite movies?

Prometheus, Pacific Rim, all of the Nolan Batman movies

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Big budget Hollywood remake of Italian Spider-Man GO!

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

I'm by no means an expert but it's pretty easy to tell that there's a difference in quality between Thursday night TNA and like that cage match with Mankind and the Undertaker where Mankind got choke slammed through the top of the cage.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

The MSJ posted:

Kevin Spacey will be in Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare.

If he's Frank Underwood in the game, I'll buy it.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

morestuff posted:

Someone brought a baby to the last party I went to, which I think means I'm getting pretty close to death

Same. Also I was tired and wanting to go home before midnight, gently caress

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

I'm phone posting so pretend I posted that comic book page of Charles Barkley beating Godzilla at basketball.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

I just ate a Chipotle burrito because I'm a bad person and I hate myself

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

SALT CURES HAM posted:

:sbahj:

Honestly I don't even have any issues with vagina blood (speaking from way too much personal experience) and that still made me a little queasy.

e: On an unrelated note, why the gently caress do cops like Taco Bell so much around here? :psyduck: Tonight is like, the tenth time I've decided to randomly go into Taco Bell to get food and witnessed a pig convention going on.

Please tell us more about your vagina blood experiences.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Depending on your definition of "success," swap.avi might count as a successful goon project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

penismightier posted:

There's this "he could've freed the slaves any day he wanted" school of thought which says that the Emancipation Proclamation was practically an insult since it took him so long and really didn't free anyone. But the trouble with that thinking is that it overlays a post-McKinley, if not even post-FDR view of the presidency. A less artful process of emancipation would've at best have been roundly ignored and shut down by a Senate bent on capitulation, or at worst pushed white America away from the war. Either way you're not looking at a reunion or a dissolution of the institution, you're looking at a lot of compromises. Lincoln's combination of an excellent legal mind and an unparalleled communicative ability (Hemingway is wrong - it's Lincoln who invented American literature, not Twain) sold the previously unsellable idea that the war was about slavery because slavery was an affront to our inception, and that impossibly delicate tightrope of "the southern states are our brothers and our countrymen" and "we must fight this war because this blood is worth spilling."

It's really a miracle of political discourse. I'd say you get a mind like that once or twice a millenia - the last one was my boy Genghis Khan, and before him probably Caesar.

This is a great post.

• Locked thread