Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.
Time Period: The near future (2029 - 2030)

System: nWoD (Mortals)

Genre: Survival Horror, Apocalypse

Background: With the creation of the Nuclear propulsion system, space travel has become a far more frequent occurrence, with manned flights happening every few months or so. Commercial space flight has become far more prominent with NASA acting more as a regulatory and training commission. They also help finance some private flights depending on what research they can get out of it.

Modern society has changed a good deal as well. Electric cars are far more common on the consumer market with almost total control in urban areas. Nuclear power along with renewable sources are far more common in the landscape. Most other areas of society have grown as well. Feel free to ask any questions.

Mission Log: February 7th, 2029

The Space shuttle Mars Noden 2 (MN2) is launched by DynCorp Aeronautics without issue or incident from Houston. The shuttle moves from point Alpha (Earth) to point Beta which lies about half way between the Moon and Mars. The deep space is truly enigmatic and awe inspiring. The feeling of nothingness surrounds you, bringing with it the multitude of experiences that could never be achieved outside of it. No matter who you are seeing the Earth beneath you enveloped by unwavering darkness leaves you with both a feeling of godliness and humble reverence.

Mission Log: June 13th, 2029

MN2 has arrived to point Beta. To complete it's first objective the crew launched a series of payloads towards Mars. The payloads were remotely guided from MN2 until they were close enough on course to land at the appropriate sites.

Mission Log: July 4th, 2029

The crew started on their second objective; the testing of a biostasis capsule designed for long distance space use. It was deemed safe in an underwater environment which simulates many conditions of space travel. Because of it's sensitive nature, NASA wanted to test it on a full crew in space just to ensure it was capable. The shuttle has an internal auto pilot designed to wake up the pilot if anything changes, or 24 hours before the expected time of reentry (ETR). To last that long the shuttle lowered it's acceleration and took an arch based path back to Earth. The crew makes their final communication to Houston and starts their 'slumber'.

Mission Log: February 2nd, 2030

Stasis ends approximately 7 months later to simulate long term flight towards the astroid belt for exploratory missions in the future. A slight feeling of weakness is felt by all but it is in no way debilitating. The main screen automatically turns on and contacts Houston as was planned initially, but nothing shows up. Houston is not returning a signal. You're expected to land in 24 hours.

This is where your story begins.

Character Creation

Experienced - Start with 60xp - You're in a space shuttle, so I think it's safe to say you're an experienced person at life, whether you bought your way on or worked for the company.

Background - Have a background ready. In this background, include the characters most important friends, family, home(s), etc. Why did the character come on board and how did he do so? You can feel free to stretch believability, but try not to shatter it. Examples: Rich athlete with a child like fantasy. Software Billionaire geeking out. MIT student who won a national lottery held by the company to raise funds for the mission. Nephew of DynCorp CEO. I'm sure you can think of better ones, this is just to set you in the right direction.

Starting possessions - Your character is allowed starting possessions in the shuttle in the form of personal effects. Absolutely no firearms because of the sensitive nature of an all oxygen atmosphere and both NASA and DynCorp aren't exactly huge fans of having millions of dollars worth of equipment potentially damaged. In fact unless you have some awesome story, the most dangerous thing you should have on you is a multitool. Also, there's not exactly a ton of room in the shuttle. While more spacious than modern ones, it's still fairly compact.

A note: I've run this game before, in 2008 to 2010 but it ended because of life. The game is a lot of fun, and will be fairly open, based vaguely on a series of nightmares.

You will have a lot of freedom. This was one of my favorite games to run, and I have the link to anyone who wants to read it.

There will be some major differences added to the game for people who read it from before or played in it. I'm also using this thread as a general interest thread too. If there is enough interest I will give a deadline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

This sounds really interesting, though I'll have to have a few thoughts about character concepts. Is it using GMC rules, or vanilla nWoD?

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

It's vanilla to start with.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
As a past reader of the first version of this game, I am completely on board for this.

Due to life, the earliest I can get an official app in is Wednesday.

This is gonna be awesome!

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

Error 404 posted:

As a past reader of the first version of this game, I am completely on board for this.

Due to life, the earliest I can get an official app in is Wednesday.

This is gonna be awesome!

Yeah the OP would not be that soon so don't worry about that. At this point it's just an interest check.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Holy poo poo, the original of this game was the first PbP I ever read and it was loving amazing. My busy season at work ends Tuesday, maybe I'll be able to throw a character into the mix. Either way I will definitely be reading this one.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

I will make a mans for this today

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
When I get done with chemistry tomorrow, I'll throw an app in.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

I'm encouraged by all the enthusiasm. Do know there will be a fair amount of changes for older players and readers to be able to have fun the same as newer ones.

Newbies are always encouraged, even if you are completely unfamiliar with nWoD. It's a simple system (Only d10's, add dice and together and roll) and I'll do all the work for you until you catch on.

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON

mugrim posted:

Newbies are always encouraged, even if you are completely unfamiliar with nWoD. It's a simple system (Only d10's, add dice and together and roll) and I'll do all the work for you until you catch on.

That's encouraging. I'll make a character once I read up on the system.

Kumaton fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Apr 13, 2014

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Kumaton posted:

Yeah everything is done in 'dots' your attributes, skills, powers, and equipment are all ranked in dots (usually 1-5)
When something applies to a roll, you add all your dots together to make a dice pool.

Most dicepools are pretty common sense.

I want to punch a dude is Strength +Brawl +/- any modifiers
I want to shoot a dude is Dexterity + Firearms, etc.

Say you have Attribute at 3 and Skill at 2, that's 5 dice.

As for character sheets, I've always been a fan of dalines.net.

Also, there's a bunch of books for wod, but the only one you absolutely need is World of Darkness (the corebook) with the blue cover. (You can get a pdf super cheap off of Drivethru)

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Apr 13, 2014

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON

Error 404 posted:

Yeah everything is done in 'dots' your attributes, skills, powers, and equipment are all ranked in dots (usually 1-5)
When something applies to a roll, you add all your dots together to make a dice pool.

Most dicepools are pretty common sense.

I want to punch a dude is Strength +Brawl +/- any modifiers
I want to shoot a dude is Dexterity + Firearms, etc.

Say you have Attribute at 3 and Skill at 2, that's 5 dice.

As for character sheets, I've always been a fan of dalines.net.

Also, there's a bunch of books for wod, but the only one you absolutely need is World of Darkness (the corebook) with the blue cover. (You can get a pdf super cheap off of Drivethru)
That's good to know! I'm trying to find general gameplay guidelines at the moment.

Kumaton fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Apr 13, 2014

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
That's also why I mention dalines. Therems a fine print "cheat sheet" for chargen at the bottom of each sheet (just like the book).

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!
I'm already in your other nWoD game, so I won't take a spot off of some one else, but I'll definitely be following this!

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

Kumaton posted:

Don't really worry too much about the system, we had three players last game who had never played and they were perfectly fine.

Character creation advice: Try to specialize as much as you can, don't worry too much about balance, be really really good at like 3 things.

Also, as a general rule, if you throw three dots or more in firearms or melee or brawl, you need a really good reason and your person needs to have been paid for that reason at some point.

Don't use any dots for resources.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

I'd love to get in on this- room for one more?

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

There's been no selection of any kind yet. At this point I was really just trying to see if there was enough interest to justify recruitment. It looks like people have trouble doing it any time soon so I would probably wait until next weekend to end recruitment.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Alright, cool. Quick question: how would you prefer we upload our character sheets? I'm using an editable PDF but I can also use the code tags on here.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
I might make a mans for this.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

Sociopastry posted:

Alright, cool. Quick question: how would you prefer we upload our character sheets? I'm using an editable PDF but I can also use the code tags on here.

I don't really have a preference for it.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

Also, don't spend dots on resources. I mean if you want to you can, but it's not in your best interest.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
I'm torn between a chinese spy (more industrial espionage than james bond poo poo) trying to steal cryo-sleep tech secrets, and a thrillseeker billionaire playboy douche who bribed his way onto the mission (with resources that likely won't exist once game starts)

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

mugrim posted:

Also, don't spend dots on resources. I mean if you want to you can, but it's not in your best interest.

What about Contacts? I mean, it makes sense for my character's background but I don't know about how useful it'd be on a spaceship.

Pinechild
Sep 14, 2011
Tomorrow I should be able to post a sheet and background for a composer who's being bankrolled by the New York Philharmonic in order to write a new symphony about space travel; just wanted to show interest while I work everything out.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

Sociopastry posted:

What about Contacts? I mean, it makes sense for my character's background but I don't know about how useful it'd be on a spaceship.

I would not advise contacts, status might be more appropriate if you want something like that.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The shuttle lands in 24 hours. You should not be expecting to be in it much longer.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Dr. Wren Meadows

Character sheet here.

Wren always was a percocious child. Straight A student, teacher's pet, mommy's favorite... at least, in front of grown ups. To her peers, she was manipulative, always getting them in trouble for things she did, tattling on them (or threatening to tattle). This didn't change once she became a young woman, either. She entered into the world of crisis counseling, using her manipulative prowess to help those in need... and score a little extra cash. She spent the years after she graduated Magna Cum Laude working in a crisis center in Boulder, Colorado. It was never quite enough for her, however. When her parents died, she was devastated, but quickly used her share of the inheritance to her advantage. After all, her parents would have wanted the best for her, right?

Using a few people she'd helped during her crisis work, Wren managed to set things in motion. She hired a private investigator, got in touch with her secretary friend, and with a little bit of luck and good timing, managed to catch a Dyncorp executive in a rather compromising position with an intern. A few phonecalls and one roll of film later, and she was in. Her official role is to make sure there's no mental side effects from the cryosleep and isolation. Now all she has to do is make it through this mission and she's set for life. Wren would prefer it that it went off without a hitch, bu if there is a crisis and she can smooth it over, that's just one more gold star for her. Let the games begin.

Important people
Jordan Reynolds: A young man that Wren helped during her years at the crisis center. She gre rather close to him, despite her best intentions. Pictures him as something like a little brother. Works as a secretary at Dyncorp.
Megan Meadows: Wren's deceased mother. Wren looked up to her like a hero, and was definitely a momma's girl. Megan was a kind, caring, loving and supportive mother. She died at home from a heart attack. Wren was the one who found her dead. She still has nightmares about it.
River Meadows: Wren's deceased father. He tried his best to support his children after the death of his wife, but here was only so much that he could do. Wren still feels severe guilt that she didn't help him more, but there's not much she can do now. He died a little bit after she graduated from college in a car crash. She still visits his grave once a year.
Elenore Meadows: Wren's estranged older sister. They did not get along as kids, and they don't get along now. Wren tells herself she's fine with this, but secretly it hurts her.
Daniel Meadows: Wren's estranged older brother. Never was close to her as a child, and moved out when Wren was in middle school. Wren blames him for not being home to help their mother.

FluxFaun fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Apr 18, 2014

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

Dr. Marcus Kincaid

Character Sheet

Background:

Ever since he got his first Operation board game at age five, Marcus Kincaid was intellectually fascinated by the inner workings of the human body. The myriad of interactions that each human played host to was not unlike a symphony to Marcus, and he revealed in unveiling their secrets. This intense interest served him well, and he spent the vast majority of his adulthood in some sort of higher learning on a free ride of scholarships.

He pursued a medical doctorate at the U of T Health Science Center first, and despite proving to be a capable general practitioner after graduation, the lack of active research in his life left him feeling stifled. There was nothing new as a GP, no new ground to break or discoveries to publish. Instead, all he had in his life was an endless cycle of diagnose and treat, mostly minor issues with a few referrals here and there. After a few all-to-long months he resolved to do something about his malaise, and decided to pursue a more academic degree in biology.

It was there, at Rice University, that he found his true calling. Marcus took like a fish to water in their Space Sciences program, and wrote/published several papers on the impact of space flight on the human body. Upon graduation, Marcus was approached by DynaCorp representatives. They had read his papers, and were quite interested in his theories on how to prevent the degradation of muscle tissue that so many astronauts are afflicted with. They explained that they were putting a research team together that would solve that problem and more, and would like it if Marcus could join them.

He leaped at the chance. How often does an opportunity to work with a team of brilliant and well-funded scientists on the literal bleeding edge come along? It was amazing, his years working for DynaCorp were some of the best of his life. Not only was it immensely satisfying, but hell, their stasis system might even change the course of human history one day. The Mars Noden 2 represents years of research, and Marcus is on-board to monitor the support systems and collect any relevant data.

When's not working on experimental stasis technology, Marcus likes to spend his time out in the Texas back-country hunting, fishing, and camping under the stars. His fascination of life extends to nature, and over the years he has developed a healthy love and appreciation for the natural world.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

ForeverBWFC posted:

I'm already in your other nWoD game, so I won't take a spot off of some one else, but I'll definitely be following this!
Same, really. I greatly enjoy reading WoD threads, most of the time. Mugrim makes good ones.

Pinechild
Sep 14, 2011
Nicholas Copland

Character Sheet

So, how does a redneck kid from the middle-of-nowhere Wyoming get to outer space?

Practice, practice, practice.

Nick spent the majority of his childhood helping his parents out with the cattle ranch, raiding the Internet for every interesting piece of music he could get his little hands on, and routinely getting seven shades of crap kicked out of him by his schoolmates for playing the viola. While his parents were supportive, they eventually decided that teaching the kid how to fight back might make a better deterrent than ignoring the bullies, and subsequently got a family friend to teach him the basics of hitting back. Nick discovered that he actually really liked boxing--the motion-without-thinking aspect was pretty great for letting him work things out in his head uninterrupted--and eventually got good enough to get a college scholarship to the University of Michigan to pursue his one true love: music.

After graduation, he moved to New York seeking fame, fortune, and paying composition gigs; after many, many years of waiting tables, he finally got it. In the world of modern orchestral music, he's reasonably well known as a good composer who loves embracing new ideas and technologies. (In the world of massive scifi geeks, he's rather less well known for doing the scores for Robocop 4 and Life in an Age of Starlight. The scores, sadly, were a lot better than the movies.) He has a working relationship with several of the top American orchestras, including the New York Philharmonic, which received an anonymous donation earmarked towards sending him on the Mars Noden 2 in order to get inspiration for a symphony celebrating the new age of space travel it represents. He was incredibly excited to receive the opportunity to do this (and he's already got some great ideas!), but a year is a long time to be away from his family, and he's anxious to get home.

Important relationships:
Alex Morales: His wife, his partner, and the love of his life. They actually met at the boxing gym--she's a public defender with a lot of rage against the system to work out. They live together in a small apartment in a middle-class neighborhood in New Jersey, close to the City.
Richard and Maria Copland: His parents. They're still on good terms, although he doesn't see them as often as he probably should. They still live out in Nowhere, Wyoming, although his younger sister Becky and her husband have largely taken over the running of the ranch. Maria was diagnosed with lung cancer two years ago, and was in very poor health at the time the Noden 2 left (Nick almost backed out, but she "wasn't too sick to whoop his rear end" if he didn't get on the shuttle). He's pretty much braced himself for news of her death at any time.
Miss Maggie May: His tabby cat, and subject of 90% of his twitter postings.

(I have never done experienced character generation before, so please let me know if anything looks odd or I should change something to make it work better.)

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

Looks good, although you might be better served in specializing with your social skills a bit. Socialize never seems to come up much, and being able to throw a lot of dice at persuading people or lying to them really helps.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Fang Tao Li (Thomas Fang)

Past
Li (Western name Thomas) was born in Shanghai, the fourth son of a thirdwave industrialist, Fang Jie Gang. His elder brothers had always been groomed as the successors to their father's business empire, and Li was always left as the "understudy" at best. His only importance to his family being that he was there if anything happened to his brothers. As such he was "free" to pursue his hobbies and passions so long as they weren't too shameful.

Li was an unremarkable student, his only notable school experiences being a love of reading, especially mythology and epics. He devoured the Iliad, The Eddas, American folklore, and Superhero Comics alongside more traditional fare like the Romance of the Three Kingdoms. After a short stint in University, he pursued extreme sports for a time, dabbled in acting in Beijing (often lampooned for his work by critics) his only memorable role was as Inspector Jian, Action Cop! a movie so bad that only the most dedicated Asian action film buff would even have heard of him, let alone recognize him.

After his short but disappointing acting career, Li retreated from public life, still pursuing the ultimate thrill, or at least trying to make a name for himself. His parents have died, his brothers have taken over the businesses, and left Li with a more than sizable inheritance and not much else, certainly no respect.

Several years back he read about the pioneering research being done at DynCorp, and saw an opportunity to put his mark on history in a way his parents could have been proud of, Li donated the majority of his inheritance, about $800 million, to help fund the corporation's Cryo-suspension project, on the condition that he would be given the opportunity to be one of the first human testers.

Present
Li has been living in the United States since then, keeping himself fit and trained (wouldn't want to be thought of as just the spoiled rich kid who bought his way into history).
He's aware of his rep, and takes pains to ensure that he's "just another guy" as much as possible, preferring not to talk about anything he's done that anyone might have heard of, he's just dedicated to seeing the test go off successfully.

if it's ok, I'm going to use his acting career as the reason for any "combat" training, doing boot camps for roles and such, he's not a soldier, but he's played one on TV and gotten paid for it, and guns are everywhere in film. :v:

Important Relationships:
Family
Fang Bin Zhao "Daniel Fang"
Chief Minister, Shanghai Industrial Conglomerate

Thomas' oldest brother. Daniel has taken over as disapproving father figure to Thomas since the death of their father, Daniel is the Patriarch of the Fang family, and he acts it, even though he is secretly envious of his youngest brother's freedoms, and is proud of his pioneering attempts with DynCorp. Unfortunately any conversations with Daniel inevitably turn into arguments because their personalities clash so hard. Thomas hasn't spoken to Daniel in about 5 years, but he sent an email just before the shuttle launched.

Fang Liu Gang "Mark Fang"
Chief Financial Officer, Silver Lung Investment firm

One of the top dogs at the closest thing China has to Goldman Sachs, Mark is a dour and serious man, more concerned with profit margins and numbers than most basic human interactions. He views people as either useful tools, or irrelevant distractions, his family is no different. (ST NOTE: Imagine Ebeneezer Scrooge as a middle aged Chinese man, and you won't be far off)

Fang Liao "Charles Fang"
Occupation Unknown, Location Unknown

Charles was always spiritual, always seemed to go against the grain. As a child he would spin incredible stories about the spirits of the family's ancestors wandering the halls of their home. It was all utter bullshit (of course). Charles left the family behind years ago, occasionally father would hire an investigator to find him and make sure he was alive, but any contact was often rebuffed as Charles moved from one seeming cult to another. Right up until his death father forbid any mention of Charles. If the Cryo test is successful, Thomas plans to try and find Charles and try to reconnect with him.

Others
Thomas does not have many friends, he's personable and likeable in social situations, but never seems to make many deep connections. As such, he considers his closest "friends" to be his crewmates and coworkers on the test project
(will happily flesh out who/what over PM or in here, if I get picked for the game!)

CHARACTER SHEET HERE
XP SPENT: 59/60 (1 left)
Resolve from 2 to 3 (15xp)
Stamina from 2 to 3 (15xp)
Composure from 2 to 3 (15xp)
Drive 1 (3xp)
Survival 1 (3xp)
Weaponry 2 (6xp)
Fame 1 (2xp)

STATBLOCK
pre:
Health
[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]
Willpower
[ ][ ][ ][ ]
Init Mod: +7   Defense: 3   Armor: 0
Attack (bare hands) 5 dice 

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Apr 16, 2014

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

Alright, game starts a week from today, mid day. Recruitment officially beginning, same rules as the OP. Recruitment ends Thursday night.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

For any questions, please address them in thread instead of my PM. If you have a question, someone else probably does too.

BeefSupreme
Sep 14, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Color me interested. Question: is there any need for technical skills and whatnot? I guess a better question is this: are there crew member passengers, or are we all people who've found our way onto this flight by other means?

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

BeefSupreme posted:

Color me interested. Question: is there any need for technical skills and whatnot? I guess a better question is this: are there crew member passengers, or are we all people who've found our way onto this flight by other means?

Passengers, and I would prefer one pilot (and you all would too at first). Piloting is just the drive skill for any interested. I'd recommend a doctor if possible as well.

You need to either be rich enough to afford to get on, or a good reason to be on board in the way of something technical (a researcher would be fine too). If you're rich, don't feel the need to spend dots on resources.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Do those of us that have already submitted a character need to do anything special for recruitment?

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

I would personally just post the day before recruitment ends just to let me know you're still in but other than that you should be fine

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

mugrim posted:

Passengers, and I would prefer one pilot (and you all would too at first). Piloting is just the drive skill for any interested. I'd recommend a doctor if possible as well.

I'm more of a scientist but I can do some Doctorin' if need be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Hipster Occultist posted:

I'm more of a scientist but I can do some Doctorin' if need be.

From reading your background, I got the feeling you pretty much were a doctor, a little rusty maybe after years in a lab, but perfectly capable.

• Locked thread