Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
PART ONE: PRELUDE

LATE APRIL, 1996

OOC THREAD

Letter of acceptance for employment with Cluter Co

When you boarded the plane the hair stood up on the back of your neck.

In the future maybe you'll think it's because deep down you always knew. Or perhaps you'll think it was all just one unlucky mistake that changed your lives forever.

You are all sitting in the aircraft surrounded by cargo in webbing marked CLUSTER Co. Someone brought a bottle couple of bottles of duty free booze and there's no one to stop you so you all drink up. It's a long flight, it'll make it pass quicker.

You all drink more than you think you do, and eventually the sound of the plane and the alcohol soothes you to sleep.

Michael, Jack, Rabia, Bob, Jonathon, Galihad, Niles and Mick all awake hungover and groggy. Goosebumps cover your skin and you shiver slightly. The plane isn't moving, but the engines are idling. There are lights in the cabin and they blink slowly

quote:

Name

I am saying this. But I am thinking this.

I am doing this or have a question for the DM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Mick

Morning gents, seems we've landed, polite of them to let us sleep in.

Mick unbuckles his seatbelt and stands from his seat wincing as he stretches out his cramping limbs, the booze, stillness of sleep, small chairs and altitude doing his injuries no favours whatsoever.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Rabia

Rabia stirs in his seat groggily, before shaking his head slightly to shake off the post waking delirium.

ugh, good morning I think. Is it morning?

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Jonathan
Jonathan gets up from his seat to stretch, pulls a pack of gum from his pocket, takes one out to chew and offers the pack around
Feels like morning, but I've sure had better. Where are we?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Gough Suppressant posted:

Jonathan
Jonathan gets up from his seat to stretch, pulls a pack of gum from his pocket, takes one out to chew and offers the pack around
Feels like morning, but I've sure had better. Where are we?

You notice how cold it is. It's cold but not colder than say midnight in Arizona.

Sir Rabia Tirnova posted:

Rabia

Rabia stirs in his seat groggily, before shaking his head slightly to shake off the post waking delirium.

ugh, good morning I think. Is it morning?

As you shake your head you see the big red button marked ALIGHT on the console near the rear of the plane.

hooman posted:

Mick

Morning gents, seems we've landed, polite of them to let us sleep in.

Mick unbuckles his seatbelt and stands from his seat wincing as he stretches out his cramping limbs, the booze, stillness of sleep, small chairs and altitude doing his injuries no favours whatsoever.

Wherever you are, it's somewhere that needs a tonne of medical supplies. As you stretch you notice the Cluster Co containers are adorned with the Red Cross.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Micheal Frost

Frost stays seated for the moment, conserving energy and taking in his surroundings

We here? They couldn't have sent a bloody stewardess in to get us, could they?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Galihad

Somewhat concerned about the amount of drink he has consumed Galihad does his best to ignore both the fact and its after effects.

He is quickly on his feet.

Can't have every little thing being taken care of by someone else. I'll be glad to get off this plane in any fashion I can manage. Hope this drink ourselves into a stupor isn't going to become a regular thing.

Indicates the cases with the crosses

Anyone else need a bandage for their head?

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Jonathan
Probing a foot against the red cross boxes
So what have we got ourselves into, disaster recovery or something?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Micheal

Micheal is very much wondering the same thing, he figured the job description had to be a euphemism - no-one pays international flights for janitors, even cargo class.

It'll probably be a dirty job either way

Do we have any windows to look at? Is the door to the cabin open? Micheal stands up and starts to look around, but doesn't want to open the door just yet

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Rabia

Look fellas, the red light is blinking. I think we can get off.

He leans from his seat towards the windows, trying to look out

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jonathan
Probing a foot against the red cross boxes
So what have we got ourselves into, disaster recovery or something?

Maybe you should take a closer look.

Sir Rabia Tirnova posted:

Rabia

Look fellas, the red light is blinking. I think we can get off.

He leans from his seat towards the windows, trying to look out

You look around but you can't seem to see any windows, you suppose it's because it's a cargo plane.

thatbastardken posted:

Micheal

Micheal is very much wondering the same thing, he figured the job description had to be a euphemism - no-one pays international flights for janitors, even cargo class.

It'll probably be a dirty job either way

Do we have any windows to look at? Is the door to the cabin open? Micheal stands up and starts to look around, but doesn't want to open the door just yet

You got on the flight through a door up the front of the plane. There is nothing stopping you from having a look.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Micheal

Wanders up to have look in the cabin

G'day? Anyone up here?

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Jonathan
looks around to see if anyone other than his fellow passengers is watching before attempting to open up one of the red cross marked boxes to search around inside for any clues.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."
Niles

Opens up one of the red cross boxes and looks to see if there are any opioids or amphetamines in there. He will pocket any if he finds any. He does this as stealthily as he can with a hangover

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

thatbastardken posted:

Micheal

Wanders up to have look in the cabin

G'day? Anyone up here?

The cabin door is shut and nobody responds to your calls.

Jonathan
looks around to see if anyone other than his fellow passengers is watching before attempting to open up one of the red cross marked boxes to search around inside for any clues.

You open the lid off one of the containers and are not struck by anything out of the ordinary. Closer examination reveals it to be a fairly standard container filled with first aid supplies, blood packs, bandages and the like.

Freudian Slip posted:

Niles

Opens up one of the red cross boxes and looks to see if there are any opioids or amphetamines in there. He will pocket any if he finds any. He does this as stealthily as he can with a hangover

Whistling softly Niles wanders around the containers and to the rest of you appears to be just stretching his legs. When out of view Niles peaks inside the container and finds no opiates. This strikes you as strange. You do spot a sterilized scalpel in plastic wrapping. Nobody suspects anything

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

LordPants posted:

The cabin door is shut and nobody responds to your calls.

Micheal

Hmmm, that's odd. Pilots and crew are normally pretty loathe to leave a plane with passengers on board.

Open the door to the cabin, slowly and carefully

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Rabia

"No windows on the damned plane "

He mutters under his breath, before standing to his feet and wandering to the rear of the cargo plane to see if there's any open exits

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Niles

Hide the scalpel upon my person and wander back into view. Acknowledge any greeting from the other passengers with a small smile and wave

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I gotta do some study so I'll just put the breaks on slightly but I'll be back later.

Feel free to declare your intentions to do anything and I'll do the rolls when I get back. The only thing I need to say is

thatbastardken posted:

Micheal

Hmmm, that's odd. Pilots and crew are normally pretty loathe to leave a plane with passengers on board.

Open the door to the cabin, slowly and carefully

You turn the handle but the door is locked. This itself doesn't seem strange but the sign you see on the door does

code:
AUTOMATED FLIGHT CREW: WARNING ENTERING THE AUTOMATED PILOTING AREA IS A BREACH OF IASC RULES AND WILL RESULT IN A FINE.
There normally aren't people on the plane, so the door isn't particularly strong. You could probably break it down if you really wanted to but you might hurt your shoulder slightly.

edit: NILES can you edit your character sheet because you now have a SCALPEL (in packaging) with a durability of 3 structure of 4 and size and cost of 1.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Apr 14, 2014

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Mick

Here I thought I'd be mopping blood off floors not delivering aid supplies.

Mick walks back to his seat and grabs his camera bag from under it, he unpacks his camera, loads some film and slings it to his hip.

Assuming you're ok with him having brought his camera bag aboard. Contents: 1 camera, telephoto lens, a couple rolls of film, small amount of chemicals for developing negatives, basically a field camera kit. Otherwise he's got a very small camera in his pocket which he performs the same process with.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Galihad

I go check out the console at the back with the flashing 'ALIGHT' sign. If there is an obvious way to leave the plane I use it.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

LordPants posted:

edit: NILES can you edit your character sheet because you now have a SCALPEL (in packaging) with a durability of 3 structure of 4 and size and cost of 1.

I just worked out how to remove dots by double clicking. When I was creating I didn't know how.

If its OK with you I have removed occult and academics from my skills and boosted Medicine (I am a Dr after all) and science. If its not cool I can change it back.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Michael

not going to kick the door in at this stage, had back down and job the others

No one in the cabin, might see well open the door and see where we are

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Freudian Slip posted:

I just worked out how to remove dots by double clicking. When I was creating I didn't know how.

If its OK with you I have removed occult and academics from my skills and boosted Medicine (I am a Dr after all) and science. If its not cool I can change it back.

We're playing fast and loose while we get the hang of this. Only caveats are you can't change anything after you've used it, or change it to solve a puzzle. If you use a skill and think it's dumb when we finish the Prelude then you'll have one final last chance to lock it in.

thatbastardken posted:

Michael

:smug:

brb I gotta roll some dice.

:smug:

What I said before still stands I gotta do some more work,and I only just posted the games existence in the GBS thread so some people might not know it's even begun. I also wanted this to be the more relaxed game :f5:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Keaton

Idly, Keaton feels around the pockets of his jacket. Well, this all felt like a bust - sure, it was a job he knew he could do, but it was also janitorial work. His hands continue to tap away. Where did he put his cigarettes? Instantly he catches himself, knowing that he's been trying to kick that habit anyways.

"Did we even go anywhere?" Keaton grumbles to nobody in particular.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Mick

Mick chuckles at Keatons observation, shooting him a lopsided smile.

Pretty convincing ride if it was a counterfeit. You trying to quit or want one of mine?

Mick proffers a cigarette.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

thatbastardken posted:

Michael

Michael grabs the handle of the door and turns it straight away noticing the as the air temperature drops significantly.

Cartoon posted:

Galihad

I go check out the console at the back with the flashing 'ALIGHT' sign. If there is an obvious way to leave the plane I use it.

At the same time as Galihad hits the ALIGHT button and the rear cargo door begins to open and the ramp extends from the aircraft.

A computerized voice says

code:
Mind your step as you alight from the plane!

What had previously been a shelter has now been turned into a literal wind tunnel with freezing air rushing through the ramp, down the hull and out the door that Michael opened.

You all reflexively shiver as the cold wind cuts through your clothes and straight to your bones. You joints ache and your faces start to go red. Mick seems more affected than the rest of you.

MICK SUFFERS 1 POINT OF FATAL DAMAGE

I don't know how you do different types of damage using the online character but just check one of the boxes under your health.

You see a man appear at the base of the ramp and he walks inside the aircraft.

PAUL: What the poo poo are you clowns doing without your coats on?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Keaton

He's just about to wonder whether he should accept or wave away the cigarette as the door opens. Fighting down the urge to shiver, although that lasts only a moment as the freezing cold wind cuts right to the bone, Keaton snaps: "Why did you open the door when you have no idea where we are? Christ, find some cold weather gear or we're going to end up with a lot less fingers!"

Let's try and track down those coats!

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Frost

Some mongrel told us to dress for warm weather. Where the gently caress are we?

Micheal starts trying to conserve/generate body heat - blowing on his hands, jogging on the spot, whatever.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Rabia

Being relatively close to the back of the plane what with his last unacknowlodged action..

Where the hell are we that we'd need a god damned.. snow.. jacket..

Rabia begins looking around for a coat.

Sorry Pal, we have no idea where we are. What happened to Arkansas?

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Niles

Yelling at our new friend

"Where the gently caress are the coats stored?"

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Jonathan
Jesus loving motherfuck
Jonathan looks around the plane for somewhere the coats may be stored.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Mick
The cigarette packet drops to the ground as the blast of icy air forces Mick into an awkward kneel as he tries to conceal his right leg giving way under him. He moves as if he dropped down to grab the cigarettes but you can see the pain in his face. Me mumbles through chattering teeth
..dropped my cigarettes..
as he retrieves the pack and starts looking for something, *anything* to protect him from the blasting cold.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Sorry for playing with the formatting I'm just trying to make it so everything stands out

Paul hurriedly pulls out a radio

Paul: Sam! Sam! gently caress they don't have coats, get the spares.

He turns to face the plane

Paul: Alright, listen close. We're bringing out. Spare. Coats. But we only have four so some of you are going to have hang tight while we get the others inside. We need three volunteers to stay behind and find something to stay warm.

The cold is affecting your senses and you all feel slightly distant and your vision dims slightly. You move slower and feel weaker. Jonathon and Frost while moving slower still feel as robust as they did before, their Iron Stamina is helping them fight the cold*.

Frost using his rudimentary survival skills rubs his shoulders and blows on his hands and manages to stave off any immediate effects of the cold.

Keaton while searching the plane feels the tips of his fingers go numb. He notices the pocket under the seat, that'll definitely have safety blankets. At the same time, Mick reaches the same conclusion. Jonathan however thinks quickly on his feet, and rips open the pocket under the seat, discarding a life jacket, whistle and a flare gun before grabbing a safety blanket. He quickly does the same under the seat next to him. With two safety blankets in hand, and people having possibly located two more, the crisis has been averted. The cold gets to Rabia and he can't focus and can't find anything, fortunately that isn't an issue.

KEATON SUFFERS 1 POINT OF FATAL DAMAGE

Sam arrives with the coats.

In two trips you are all safely inside the Red Shed, the main building of the base.

Does Jonathan grab anything?

Sam notices the that Mick and Keaton are suffering effects of the cold.

SAM: You better go let "the nurse" take a look at that, unless one of you is a doctor. Meanwhile I'm going to need two able bodied men to help me load up the plane. Then you can explain to Paul what the hell drat fool game you were all playing at out there.

He shakes his head in disgust.

KEATON AND MICK head to the infirmary.

TWO VOLUNTEERS will head outside

Frost is resistant to the cold? Amazing. :smug::respek::smug:

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Apr 15, 2014

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Frost :mmmhmm:

Volunteers to help with unloading, his strong back and sure feet will make the job quicker

He also figures it beats the hell out of having to explain things to some kind of officer.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Jonathan
Jonathan volunteers along with Frost, he is hoping to get some kind of an idea of what is going on, why the gently caress they're not in Arizona and who is in charge here

He took nothing extra when first departing the plane, concentrating on getting out of the cold instead

Jonathan's current working theory on where they are is Antarctica due to the obvious conditions, and the fact that they departed from New Zealand.

Gough Suppressant fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Apr 15, 2014

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Galihad

After trying to shut the rear door (unsuccessfully), follows along attempting to stay warm.

It might be as cold as hell but that's no excuse for blaspheming!

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Niles

I scoop up one of the discarded flare guns before heading out

"I have medical training, I will be happy to tend to my drinking buddies"

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Jonathan

To Galihad: You should be thankful you have enough fingers left to cross yourself father, come on out of the cold

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Mick

Uncomfortable at the thought of revealing his broken body to someone he will be working with Mick waves off attention and makes his way to the "nurse"

• Locked thread