Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Alright remember when you talk to someone you can try and ascertain whether they are lying or you can try and charm them into telling you something. Remember be creative, even if you are no good at something it can be fun to try. And if you notice something and you want to look at it closer you have to tell me to investigate it, just let me know you intend to look closer you don't have to say "I INVESTIGATE"

NEW SCENE (I'll explain this in a bit)

You all have willpower. Spending willpower allows you to put in a heroic effort which gets you a bonus to your rolls. Statistically speaking, this would be best to use when it is important for story reasons, or you a crap at whatever you are doing. Say "I try to fix the car engine, and I spend a point of will power". You can use it in combat, but when I played you could only use it to offset any penalties imposed (which I'll let you know) like "Using a point of willpower I hold my guts in with one hand and stab the warlock with my sword" which, in maths terms would say be +3 for will power which might hypothetically offset a -3 penalty for being wounded. If you want to be able to use it in normal combat you can say so but I think it makes it gamey.

You can also use it to add 2 points to Stamina (to say avoid freezing to death), Composure, Willpower (To say resist being mind controlled by a mind-controlling vampire or whatever :shrug:) or to defense. Defense is a score that the other person must overcome to do damage on you, so adding 2 points of defense could save your life.

How do you gain willpower? If you make a suitable decision involving your VICE or VIRTUE you can regain willpower. Back there in the plane? Maybe things were going to get hairy. There was only 2 spare coats. Galihad may say "Using my virtue of faith, I believe my god will save me" and use a willpower point each time I checked to see if you suffered wind damage. Because he'd used a virtue he'd recover all his points. If you use a vice, ie "(pride) I'm to pretty to die" you regain one. You also regain them when you sleep, or for plot appropriate reasons.

Also I didn't list the vices and virtues because I thought they were listed on the character sheets, my bad. Some of them while not strictly existing have analogues so don't worry, when we finalize our characters we'll correct that error along with one or two little things that I think will improve everything overall.

Wow :words: :words: :words:

BACK TO THE GAME

NILES, MICK and KEATON are in the infirmary.

There's nobody else in here at the moment, but you as an expert medical practitioner see all the required things you need to being treatment if you want. Mick is hanging out for "the nurse" to turn up.

Jonathan, Frost and Galihad are rugged up outside with Sam

Are you heading outside Galihad? Even though I said two I'm not railroading anyone, I just didn't want to announce what the people inside would be doing because blind choices are more interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."
Niles

I tend to Keaton making small talk. If I find any strong opioids or anesthetics while I am doing this, I pocket them.

"You hoping that the "nurse" is going to be better looking than me Mick? I wouldn't get your hopes up mate"

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Where am I? :v:

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Galihad

If I am appropriately clothed and there is nothing to do in the shed, I'll be happy to help empty the plane. If it helps me keep an eye on Jonathon and see what he's playing at all the better. Sam may also volunteer information.

Three will get it done quicker!

This is probably not all that true. Galihad is pretty useless.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Freudian Slip posted:

Niles

[i]I tend to Keaton making small talk.

Your attempts to heal Keaton are successful. He's not going to suffer any permanent damage, but his fingers will be a bit stiff for a day or so. It's going to take about two hours sitting in the infirmary for observation before he can be discharged.

After two hours Keaton will now only have one point of Bashing Damage

edit: Bashing damage pretty much heals itself, like you'll be healed in 15 minutes after leaving the infirmary.

Everyone shoots off in different directions leaving you alone in the main hall.

Paul is walking towards you.

We need to talk. He says.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Apr 15, 2014

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Cartoon posted:

Galihad

If I am appropriately clothed and there is nothing to do in the shed, I'll be happy to help empty the plane. If it helps me keep an eye on Jonathon and see what he's playing at all the better. Sam may also volunteer information.

Three will get it done quicker!

This is probably not all that true. Galihad is pretty useless.

Nope that's fine! You're leaving Rabia alone to deal with Paul. You duck outside into the cold.

The rules are for the moment that a maximum of FOUR People can be outside at any one time, due to the shortage of winter coats.

Assume now that you all have been given clothing that is warm enough to allow you to say indoors without discomfort.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Apr 15, 2014

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Keaton

Keaton waggles his fingers as best he can after Niles tends to him. "Thanks, mate."

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Niles

"No worries buddy, looks like you won't be losing any fingers today. Looks like your love life will be fine"

Lordpants - two questions. 1) Did I pick up the flaregun? 2) Did I find any decent drugs in the infirmary?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Freudian Slip posted:

Niles

"No worries buddy, looks like you won't be losing any fingers today. Looks like your love life will be fine"

Lordpants - two questions. 1) Did I pick up the flaregun? 2) Did I find any decent drugs in the infirmary?

(1) It was up to Gough to work out whether to grab the flare gun, he's the one that aced the rolls. 2) Sorry to leave you hanging I haven't checked yet.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Rabia

"absolutely. Do we stay here or do you want to go somewhere else? "

Though his language is polite, Rabia appears to be quite lost.

He extends a hand to Paul.

" I don't think we've been properly introduced. I'm Rabia."

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

LordPants posted:

(1) It was up to Gough to work out whether to grab the flare gun, he's the one that aced the rolls.

Ahh sorry, I thought they were lying around discarded after people grabbed the emergency blankets they were with

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Mick

Watches Niles work on Keaton and tries to assess whether Niles is actually a physician based on his wartime experiences.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Jonathan, Frost and Galihad

You slave away in the cold and the wind pushing the containers of medical supplies down the ramp and into one of the three external supply sheds. Once they are safely away a padlock is used to keep them safe from who knows what.

Jonathon is up the inside the plane checking to make sure everything is unloaded while Frost and Galihad start to load up the containers that are due to be shipped out. These, unlike the medical supplies aren't on skis and have to be lifted. As you two lift one of the containers you notice it is rather heavy. Galihad can't help but notice how the weight inside the container seems to shift as you lift it, like what ever is inside isn't secured.

SAM: Just put 'em down anywhere in that plane boys, leave 'em for the folks in New Zealand to sort out.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
INSIDE, MAIN HALLWAY: Rabia

Sir Rabia Tirnova posted:

Rabia
Sorry Pal, we have no idea where we are. What happened to Arkansas?

PAUL: You're in what used to be the Menzies base in Antarctica. Thanks to Prime Minster John Howes privatizing the arctic division we've taken over the running of this base. Best I can tell there was some kind of major gently caress up in the computers that organize Cluter Co's freight. This happened last year too, instead of getting diesel we received a winter's worth of Canola Oil bound for Vanuatu. Can't use that in a generator, that's for sure.

I've been on the short-wave to New Zealand. The weather means their stupid auto pilots can't get out here for about a week. Now, we can't send you back because it's getting dark and cold and we need all the help we can get, so I hope you don't mind sticking around for a few days until we get our proper replacement winter crew.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The Infirmary: Niles, Keaton and Mick

ANITA walks in

Anita: Excuse me, can I help you?

While she says this and gets everyone's attention, Niles pockets some strong painkillers.

edit: I've noted your theft for future reference

hooman posted:

Mick

Watches Niles work on Keaton and tries to assess whether Niles is actually a physician based on his wartime experiences.

You've seen a lot of lovely doctors in lovely environments, but by the same time you've seen some miracle workers. You're unimpressed with Niles.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Apr 15, 2014

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Niles

As Anita walks into the room

"Well Mick, I stand corrected"

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Mick

Mick shoots a wry smile at Niles.

I guess better things come to those who wait.

He turns to Anita.

Anita, we got sent here for the once over by Sam after we ended up stranded out in the cold in our warm weather gear.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
You watch Anita being to check you over. Despite what you think of him, she moving at least half the speed of Niles. The treatment that will see Keaton in here for 2 hours could keep you here all night. But perhaps, being unsupervised at night by yourself could be an opportunity.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

LordPants posted:

INSIDE, MAIN HALLWAY: Rabia

Rabia

Rabia stifles a grin

looks like no matter where you go, bureaucracy is always the same. Well if we're stuck here, then we're stuck here, and we're getting paid for the privilege so speaking only for myself, I'll be glad to help out in whatever way I can while we call the place home.

He extends his hand again to Paul.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Mick

Having seen the "Nurse" in action Mick regrets his uncharitable thoughts about Niles doctoring, but doesn't mind spending a night in a warm bed.

Keaton, you want that smoke now?

Mick lights himself one and holds out the slightly crumpled pack.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

hooman posted:

Mick

Having seen the "Nurse" in action Mick regrets his uncharitable thoughts about Niles doctoring, but doesn't mind spending a night in a warm bed.

Keaton, you want that smoke now?

Mick lights himself one and holds out the slightly crumpled pack.

It takes a while, but Anita has finally checked over and on the road to recovery. Unfortunately, she informs you, she wants you to stay in observation for five hours which is after the curfew. Looks like you're stuck in the infirmary over night.

Anita: I am after all, just a nurse. But I've had plenty of experience dealing with these types of cases.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

He extends his hand again to Paul.

Paul shakes your hand.

PAUL: Alright, how about I show you around? I'll do my best to answer any questions you might have

edited to make it sound less like EXPOSITION! EXPOSITION!

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

LordPants posted:

Galihad can't help but notice how the weight inside the container seems to shift as you lift it, like what ever is inside isn't secured.

Galihad

Any idea of the contents due to weight distribution?

Galihad makes chummy small talk through out. Jacarandas in Lismore feature prominently.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Frost is spectacularly bad at small talk, taciturn and uninterested in flowers in general. If he's aware that the load is poorly secured though he will try and open the crate to properly fix it down - unsecured cargo on a plane is a recipe for disaster.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Jonathan
Worrying he may have overstepped boundaries with what was meant as an ice breaker, Jonathan engages Galihad talking about Jacarandas, while assisting lifting the last few crates and attempting to figure out what is unsecured inside them.

The obvious things I'm looking for would be liquid vs solid, listening to see if there is one thing inside each or multiples(banging against only the sides of the container or against each other inside the container), the kind of sound it makes to see if its hard or soft, metallic wooden etc. Whether there appears to be any special precautions based on the exterior(airproof, waterproof, climate controlled, hazard markings etc)

Gough Suppressant fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Apr 15, 2014

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

LordPants posted:

Paul shakes your hand.

PAUL: Alright, how about I show you around? I'll do my best to answer any questions you might have

Rabia

Rabia grins and steps into lockstep beside Paul.

"I suppose my first question would be what you all do here in the Arctic, my colleagues and I are all hired for, err, janitorial work apparently."

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Niles

"So Anita, what is it exactly that you guys do down here?"

I try to read her as she talks to see if she is lying or scared

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

thatbastardken posted:

Frost is spectacularly bad at small talk, taciturn and uninterested in flowers in general. If he's aware that the load is poorly secured though he will try and open the crate to properly fix it down - unsecured cargo on a plane is a recipe for disaster.

You two are both carrying this object. It's long but not particularly wide. Ken isn't aware about the load he only recognizes that it's heavy for something with the length, width and depth. Maybe you should co-ordinate with Galihad.

Cartoon posted:

Galihad

Any idea of the contents due to weight distribution?

Galihad makes chummy small talk through out. Jacarandas in Lismore feature prominently.

The center of gravity of the object in this particular crate is definitely in the middle and shifts as you lift and carry it.

Gough Suppressant posted:

Jonathan
Worrying he may have overstepped boundaries with what was meant as an ice breaker, Jonathan engages Galihad talking about Jacarandas, while assisting lifting the last few crates and attempting to figure out what is unsecured inside them.

The obvious things I'm looking for would be liquid vs solid, listening to see if there is one thing inside each or multiples(banging against only the sides of the container or against each other inside the container), the kind of sound it makes to see if its hard or soft, metallic wooden etc. Whether there appears to be any special precautions based on the exterior(airproof, waterproof, climate controlled, hazard markings etc)

You're only away from the others because you failed your observation roll and it just seemed to make more story sense to be doing something not "The other two notice what's up but you stand around like a dummy".

You're not aware of anything. But one of your colleagues could point out something is amiss.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Jonathan
Got it.
Jonathan continues a last check for anything left behind on the plane, particularly misplaced personal effects, while continuing to talk about Jacarandas, explaining that he is an environmental scientist and has spent a fair bit of time in latin america.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Galihad

While Frost may be bad at small talk Galihad doesn't give up easy. As their shared load is a focus he directs his jibber jabber at speculation about what is in it.

So is it Incan gold ya think? Maybe their old lawn mower?

Chuckles

Hey it could even be a body?

Beyond this it is all really just make busy speculation. Galihad lacks any real knowledge or understanding about the finer points of manual load recognition.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Freudian Slip posted:

Niles

"So Anita, what is it exactly that you guys do down here?"

I try to read her as she talks to see if she is lying or scared

Nb Interpreting your specialty as + 1 to certain empathy actions because you're a psychiatrist, if you aren't happy at the end of the story we can hashout what you are looking for

Anita: Mining and research, mostly. The people we were expecting were meant to be mineral experts in preparation for a dig in summer

If she's lying you can't tell. In time you think it's possible that you could really understand her and always tell if she's lying. But with repeated questions she might become suspicious and clam up. Or you never know she could be reading you. :shrug: Feel free to continue asking.

Keaton remember you're still around if you have any questions to ask.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Rabia

Rabia grins and steps into lockstep beside Paul.

"I suppose my first question would be what you all do here in the Arctic, my colleagues and I are all hired for, err, janitorial work apparently."

PAUL: Well, despite what people think we're in the business of monetizing the company's Antarctic assets to their fullest potential. We've spent the last winter and summer trying to ascertain the commercial potential for this base. In the course of which we've done some research but that's not our primary aim.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Cartoon posted:

Galihad

While Frost may be bad at small talk Galihad doesn't give up easy. As their shared load is a focus he directs his jibber jabber at speculation about what is in it.

So is it Incan gold ya think? Maybe their old lawn mower?

Chuckles

Hey it could even be a body?

Beyond this it is all really just make busy speculation. Galihad lacks any real knowledge or understanding about the finer points of manual load recognition.

Sam: If you really want to know why don't you set it down and find out.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Galihad

Being that Sam's the boss and he was just making noises with his mouth, Galihad is keen to smooth any ruffled feathers.

Oh I can wait till Christmas to open my presents.

Indicates the winter wonderland outside

Where do you want it set down?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Rabia

"I see! Well, what could be monetised in a place such as this? Forgive my ignorance, I was not really briefed on what the company did before accepting the position "

He scratches the to of his brown hair

" We were supposed to be janitorial staff, but I've never heard of an international company hiring outside of their nation for something so petty.

Hell, I'm an architect by trade. How about you? "

Rabia glances sideways at Paul. Looking for his reaction.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I'm still here, just about to see the Lego movie. Imagine that Keaton is looking surly while he tries to figure out whether to have a smoke or not.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Rabia

"I see! Well, what could be monetised in a place such as this? Forgive my ignorance, I was not really briefed on what the company did before accepting the position "

He scratches the to of his brown hair

" We were supposed to be janitorial staff, but I've never heard of an international company hiring outside of their nation for something so petty.

Hell, I'm an architect by trade. How about you? "

Rabia glances sideways at Paul. Looking for his reaction.

PAUL
(deep breath) Well... ever since the Iraq war in the early nineties our economists specializing in long term forecasts have assessed that the chances of a rise in oil prices could be significant, especially considering the volatility in the region. Ever since Prime Minster Howes declined to renew Australia's international obligations under any antarctic treaties it's been open slather for us to prospect for oil or any other valuable mineral that we can find under the ice. As you know, they believe that the oil reserves under the arctic are as big as in the Middle East.

As for what I do? I did an MBA.

You study what he says and decide that that's the truth, and he isn't omitting anything.

Milky Moor posted:

I'm still here, just about to see the Lego movie. Imagine that Keaton is looking surly while he tries to figure out whether to have a smoke or not.

I'm not hassling I'm just letting you know I'm not forgetting people. :)

Everything is Awesome.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Rabia nods with a smile for Paul.

So have you had much luck getting some oil out? And what can I do to help, if anything? As I said, my degree and practice is in Architecture, but we're here as Janitors, so, take your pick.

He shrugs nonchalantly, following Paul.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Cartoon posted:

Galihad

Being that Sam's the boss and he was just making noises with his mouth, Galihad is keen to smooth any ruffled feathers.

Oh I can wait till Christmas to open my presents.

Indicates the winter wonderland outside

Where do you want it set down?

Frost

Don't talk too much out here, you'll lose body heat.

He is curious as to why you were interested in the contents of the crate all of a sudden, but is more worried about not dropping it. He's also not interested in annoying Sam, seeing as Sam seems to be in a position to assign lovely jobs around the base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Swamped with work atm I'll try and bash out some more tonight

• Locked thread