Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Under Sam's watchful eye Jonathon, Galihad and Frost clench their teeth and lift the last of the four odd crates on to the back of the plane, secure them. Sam radios the clearance code and the autopilot guides the aircraft into the darkening arctic sky. You watch as the navigation lights wink as the plane disappears from view. You notice the almost still night and feel your hands are red from the lifting under your gloves. There is that unspoken bond between you of having completed hard work under difficult circumstances.

SAM: Well boys, I've never seen a bunch of men load coffins onto a plane with such vigour. To be young again. He laughs and turns to head back inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Jonathan
If Jonathan thinks Sam is being sincere about the coffins, he asks tentatively who it was that was in them

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Frost

At least they didn't have anyone I know in them

This time, anyway. He follows Sam inside.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Galihad

Oh. I'll try and make my jokes actually be funny in future.

He follows Sam inside also

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."
Niles

Talking to Anita

"So what type of research do you guys do down here? I would have thought it would be too expensive to do it all the way down here."

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Sir Rabia Tirnova posted:

Rabia nods with a smile for Paul.
So have you had much luck getting some oil out? And what can I do to help, if anything? As I said, my degree and practice is in Architecture, but we're here as Janitors, so, take your pick.

He shrugs nonchalantly, following Paul.

Paul: Okay, well we're all have day jobs per se, which means we don't have a full time cooking or cleaning staff. Just because you aren't an astrologer doesn't mean we don't need help maintaining the generator, manning the radio room, cooking washing dishes and all that. We'll roster you on for the duration of the stay. But we enjoy the company.

I'll just show you where everything is so you can show the others.

you are taken on a tour of the base

There are two dorms, one of which is out of operation right now so we'll stick four of you inside. Three of you will have to sleep out in the summer accommodation. It'll be cold and you'll need your coats on at all time but you won't freeze. There's the radio room, with a personal computer. There's the mess hall and rec room, the library. Now, this is one half of the base, down that hall

He points

Is the second half of the base. We are having electricity issues with that half which means the lights don't work. For health and safety reasons we don't allow you to enter that part of the base as it is technically winter now. Now obviously, I'm in charge and I get my own room and office, Anita as the only lady gets her own room. Sam, well, I don't actually think he sleeps so he doesn't need a room.

If you have any last questions please ask, I have things to do now.

You notice he hasn't answered about the oil

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Apr 16, 2014

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Anita: Well, we're located halfway between the coast and the south pole, what this does is it puts us in a prime position to study astronomy. But mostly we're trying to make significant advances in through-ice oil drilling. The Russians and Americans have quite the head start, or so Paul says. He's to focused on money, he doesn't understand what we can really learn down here given the right time and resources.

You're a trained psychiatrist but you just can't tell if she's telling the truth or lying. On the balance of probabilities you think you're probably halfway to understanding her

nb: If you want to ask two or three questions we can speed the process up but if you're happy doing it one at a time we can continue

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Gough Suppressant posted:

Jonathan
If Jonathan thinks Sam is being sincere about the coffins, he asks tentatively who it was that was in them

You are sure he told the truth

Sam: That was the original crew for this winter. But I guess now you could say they're diced meat. He chuckles to himself.

Something strikes you about him.

He seems... tired

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Niles

I was going to ask a few questions - but I thought you would prefer them one at the time

"Wow, astronomy. Do you have any telescopes here? I loved astronomy in my University days"

"So are you the full medical personnel down here? I imagine with drilling that you have had to deal with the occasional trauma?"

"So how many people are here on base?"

"I am sensing that you and Paul don't always see eye-to-eye"

Hopefully thats enough to get a read on her. I am not actually sure which skills relate to working out whether someone is lying etc but it makes it more fun not knowing I guess :)

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Freudian Slip posted:

Niles

I was going to ask a few questions - but I thought you would prefer them one at the time

I was just worried about the pace if you're happy I'm happy. I'll answer your character questions in the OOC thread.

Freudian Slip posted:

Niles
"Wow, astronomy. Do you have any telescopes here? I loved astronomy in my University days"

Anita: Honestly I don't know, I believe we were meant to have some shipped in at some point but I guess they haven't arrived.

quote:

"So are you the full medical personnel down here? I imagine with drilling that you have had to deal with the occasional trauma?"

Anita's eyes narrow.

Anita: I don't make small talk with people I've just met, maybe you should bother somebody else.

Is it the cold? Or haven't you had enough to drink because you're really off your game today

Anita turns to face Mick: I'll be back to check on you later.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Frost

Finding jobs is always better than having jobs find you, its one of the oldest principles of soldiering. Also it might keep the old man here from chewing my ear off about daffodils or some drat thing.

Frost is going asking/looking for odd jobs to do around the base, he's a pretty competent mechanic so long as he has an instruction manual to follow.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

LordPants posted:

You are sure he told the truth

Sam: That was the original crew for this winter. But I guess now you could say they're diced meat. He chuckles to himself.

Something strikes you about him.

He seems... tired

Jonathan
:stare:

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Jonathan
To Sam: "So ah...what happened to them? Four casualties seems...rather a lot for a research mission...?"
Jonathan is rather shaken by this revelation, he didn't necessarily expect an easy pay cheque, but he certainly didn't expect this

Gough Suppressant fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Apr 16, 2014

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Sam: Xavier chopped them all up in their sleep. It's the middle of nowhere. It's cold. Some people can't hack it and they lose it.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Jonathan
"Ah...Who is Xavier...?
Jonathan is looking hard at Sam, hoping to see some hint that this is a joke on the newcomers but that hope is quickly leaving him

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Rabia

"No problem." Rabia nods towards the PC. "I take it we don't really have an outside connection with that thing?"

Rabia thinks for a moment, pondering if he should push the issue about the oil, before letting it pass. Paul seems like the sort who wouldn't take kindly to pushing.

No my friend, that will do for the moment. I'll wait for the others to complete their chores then give them the tour.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jonathan
"Ah...Who is Xavier...?
Jonathan is looking hard at Sam, hoping to see some hint that this is a joke on the newcomers but that hope is quickly leaving him

Xavier was one of the guys involved in the drilling or the digging or what ever they do here. Like I said he got cabin fever, did some things and before we could stop him he locked himself in one of those cabins over there.

Sam points to Xavier's Cabin out amongst the summer camp buildings.

That was a month or so ago. I'm not game enough to look and see what he's up to because I have seen my fair share of poo poo and I'm to old to see any more, but I guarantee you he's dead. If he killed four people in his sleep he's a coward and I bet you all the oil and minerals they dig out here that he took the coward's way out.

Sam heads inside.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Jonathan
Jonathan looks around to see if Galihad and Frost have heard this conversation with Sam. If they haven't he hurriedly seeks them out to tell them what he has just found out, and also so as not to be alone in this frightening place

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Frost

Micheal is well aware of the way people can go strange under stress, but the idea that a man killed four others in their sleep and has been holed up for a month without anyone so much as attempting to recover his body let alone get someone down here to arrest him is staining his credulity a little.

Continuing to be a taciturn weirdo he doesn't say anything about it, but he starts mentally putting together a plan of the base. The whole "do odd jobs around the place" is still happening, but now he's thinking in terms of defensive chokepoints and lines of fire.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

thatbastardken posted:

Frost

Finding jobs is always better than having jobs find you, its one of the oldest principles of soldiering. Also it might keep the old man here from chewing my ear off about daffodils or some drat thing.

Frost is going asking/looking for odd jobs to do around the base, he's a pretty competent mechanic so long as he has an instruction manual to follow.

SAM: Try peeling some pototes soldier boy. He laughs as he disappears into his room.

Sir Rabia Tirnova posted:

Rabia
"No problem." Rabia nods towards the PC. "I take it we don't really have an outside connection with that thing?"

Paul: If the weather is good we get in with the US satellites over the ocean. Speaking of which, Frost do you think you could have a lock at the personal computer in the library, I'm terrible with those things.

Everyone is inside now as the darkness closes in for your first night in the base. Rabia imparts his knowledge of the base to everyone and you congregate in the mess hall. Everyone notices Jonathon looks like something is on his mind and he whispers something urgently to Galihad and Frost. Food is brought to Mick in the infirmary as he awaits his night alone and Keaton is discharged.

Frost Despite having instructions to do, in light of what you've discovered you can chose to put your task on hold. It's dark, but there is a flash light free for use. There are still only four coats if you wish to wander outside.

If you don't do anything you can decide to retire for the night and see what the night brings...

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Frost

Frost doesn't know a computer from a hole in the ground, but figures it can't hurt to look.

"Sure thing, I'll check it out."

Speaking of peeling potatoes, what's the food like? Might be worth checking out the kitchen.

Try and find out what's wrong with the computer. I don't want to go exploring outside at night yet - that's a sure-fire way to get lost and die. If I can I'd like to start putting together a crude map of the base, unless there's already a map on the wall somewhere.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Niles

By now I am guessing I have heard that Xavier carved up four people, that he hasn't been seen since, they presume he is dead and they are expecting us to sleep where he was seen last.

To the others quietly while we are having dinner

"gently caress that for a joke, I am going to have a look around before bed"

After eating, Niles has a stealthy look around the base

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Mick

Given his bedridden state, Mick isn't going to be doing much overnight, other than enjoying the rest.

If someone told him about the crazy in the cabin, you can bet he's going to jury rig an alarm system over the door (string attached to something metal that will fall on something else metal if the door opens) before he goes to sleep, if nobody told him, he's going to sleep the blissful sleep of the unaware.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Swan
Swan doesn't feel safe, he is going to attempt to stick close to Frost and/or Keaton as he feels they will be the most able to handle themselves if things get dangerous. He tries his best to cover up his fear with smalltalk about where they have toured, and his own travels in latin america and the southern US

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Galihad

Immediately crosses himself when he hears about the four casualties (probably should have been in the previous action unless he didn't hear Sam). Talking clearly helps Galihad cope so he continues to banter with anyone who will give him their ear. Jonathon/Swan is his first choice. OOC: Do I have a crucifix necklace and/or rosary? If I don't then I'm going to look surreptitiously for something to fashion a cross and a rosary out of.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Swan
Swan doesn't feel safe, he is going to attempt to stick close to Frost and/or Keaton as he feels they will be the most able to handle themselves if things get dangerous. He tries his best to cover up his fear with smalltalk about where they have toured, and his own travels in latin america and the southern US

Frost

Frost is as mentioned super bad at small talk - monosyllabic and close mouthed, especially about operational matters. If you let slip that you know anything about computers though he'll quite happily let you talk while he dragoons you into helping him in the library.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Swan
"I've used the computers at the university a bit, not an expert but I could have a look. What about you father? The more the merrier."

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Galihad

I can certainly provide expert moral support. Let's go!

As it's a library I might also be able to find a bible.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Niles

I should also point out that the reason why Niles is so interested in what happened is that the murders here are similar to those of his family. It's the reason he signed up for the job and the first real break he has had

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I won't get anything up before I leave for Easter so you all have a good break and eat chocolates and we'll get back to dead bodies in Antarctica sunday or so.

Feel free to keep posting but I'll be away. :)

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
DARKNESS CLOSES IN

RABIA and KEATON were assigned the task of sleeping outside in the summer camp. Mick will join them when he is able. It's dark now and you were told to head out to your cottage before the weather closed in too much. You both attempt some sort of sleep. The wind is rattling the walls of the small cottage. With you is a torch in case you have to go out for some reason.

Keaton is awoken by the sound of someone crying nearby.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Apr 20, 2014

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

hooman posted:

Mick

Given his bedridden state, Mick isn't going to be doing much overnight, other than enjoying the rest.

If someone told him about the crazy in the cabin, you can bet he's going to jury rig an alarm system over the door (string attached to something metal that will fall on something else metal if the door opens) before he goes to sleep, if nobody told him, he's going to sleep the blissful sleep of the unaware.

Those left in the main building potter around getting ready for the first night's sleep.

You close your eyes and drift away, helped by the bedding which is designed to keep your body temperature warm.

You are standing on a beach, in the distance you can see a large wave off the coast. People point and scream and turn around and run. You turn too but your legs feel like they are made of lead and you try and run but you feel like you are stuck in the sand. You hear the roar of the tsunami as it approaches behind you, you don't dare turn and see how close it is. Your heart is pounding and fear stabs at your stomach.

Just as you are certain the wave is coming to crush you to death
you awake in the infirmary covered in sweat.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Rabia sleeps, fitfully

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Galihad, Frost and Jonathan are in the Library.

Galihad has found a copy of the bible. While Swan and Frost are fiddling with the computer. You've been told to finish what you're doing and then retire for the evening.

Jonathan is attempting to help Frost but manages to provide little advice to begin with, and predictably, no progress is made. However, you start working as a team and with helpful advice from Jonathon, Frost traces down the problem which is revealed to be the power switch being unplugged from the motherboard.

The computer starts up with a hum and clicking of the drive.

The last person to use the computer didn't log out of ClusterNet, the internal network.

An example of team work, Gough's computer skills really helped Frost get things done and without help Frost was at danger of blowing up the computer.

code:
...Welcome to ClusterNet...

Please select menu option

> EMAILS
CLUSTER NET
LOG OUT
edit: You can just tell me what to do we don't need any Pokemon plays twitch bullshit. ;)

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Apr 20, 2014

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Freudian Slip posted:

Niles

By now I am guessing I have heard that Xavier carved up four people, that he hasn't been seen since, they presume he is dead and they are expecting us to sleep where he was seen last.

To the others quietly while we are having dinner

"gently caress that for a joke, I am going to have a look around before bed"

After eating, Niles has a stealthy look around the base

There are the following areas in the base:

The Rec Room/Mess Hall, Infirmary, Dom A (empty and 'out of order'), Dorm B (your bedroom), the radio room the hallway that leads to the other half of the base ('off limits') plus the various individual rooms and offices.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Cartoon posted:

OOC: Do I have a crucifix necklace and/or rosary? If I don't then I'm going to look surreptitiously for something to fashion a cross and a rosary out of.[/i]

Pick one, I think it' small enough that it's reasonable you would have brought it regardless of instructions to the contrary. I'm not religious so if it isn't an either or thing let me know.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Frost

Reconnaissance is most of every job, one way or another. While searching through the computer isn't the same as laying up in an OP overlooking an insurgent village, it's a similar principle. Preferably with
Jonathon's help, he seems to know how the devilish device operates.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Keaton

Keaton awakes, eyes snapping open to the sound of someone crying. It takes him a second to remember where he is, but then he's flailing and groping around for the torch. "Hey," he hisses to the others, "Get up."

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Mick

Mick gasps and sits up a little too quickly, wincing as he does so.

He clears his eyes and looks around the infirmary for anything that might have triggered the dream eg. a running tap.

He also checks his improvised noisemaker to make sure it's still in place across the door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Jonathan is also keen to get some answers from the computer network.

• Locked thread