Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Galihad

A standard rosary includes a crucifix (eg)

Most serious Catholics would have to have theirs forcibly removed, but Galihad is very honest and if asked to take nothing would have left even the rosary behind. The bible is a score and while offering pointless advice about the computer Galihad looks for some way of checking out the book. Exodus 20:15 and all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Rabia

Rabia stirs from his slumber, lost for a moment in delirium

"'sgoinon? I need a pick me up

He pauses for a moment, hearing the wailing.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

hooman posted:

Mick

Mick gasps and sits up a little too quickly, wincing as he does so.

He clears his eyes and looks around the infirmary for anything that might have triggered the dream eg. a running tap.

He also checks his improvised noisemaker to make sure it's still in place across the door.

Your trap is still in place. Your head throbs, slowly. Is someone whispering? You can't tell.

Gough Suppressant posted:

Jonathan is also keen to get some answers from the computer network.

Stopping Frost from running magnets across the hard drive you access the emails section.

code:
To: mailinglist:menziesbase

We have sent replacements out for the winter, it's hard getting that many people at short notice. 

Just a heads up, the higher ups do not mind the HR cost so as to speak, but will accept nothing less than total success.
code:
From [email]m.jones@cluster.co.nz[/email]
To: Mailinglist:menziesbase

Yeah so by now you've noticed you go the wrong personal, that's a computer error and I'm sorry about that. 

Rest assured we're working to fix that as soon as possible.

We don't want some of our greatest minds in the field cleaning toilets in Arizona. 
code:
To: Servant

The Dark Parliament is aware of our plans.

Accelerate your efforts, trouble may be on the way. If things go wrong we don't know you. 

Make sure those cluster clowns are in the dark. 

We arranged a surprise for you in the aircraft, maybe our mutual friend could use a snack, hopefully it is strong enough. 

We also hacked their servers and swapped the personnel orders, that should slow them down and buy you time. 
While standing around offering advice, Galihad catches a glimpse of something in that last email that makes his brain itch. Stories and rumors that were whispered at night behind closed doors in seminaries.
Maybe using your occult skill you could see if you remember anything? Well, get me to check if you remember anything.

Jonathan too has a twitch in the back of his head.

(I thought someone had 2 points in occult I guess I was wrong :shrug: )

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Apr 21, 2014

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Jonathan puts everything he has into trying to figure out what is pulling at the back of his mind about the e-mail.
using a point of willpower to recall occult information.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

quote:

While standing around offering advice, Galihad catches a glimpse of something in that last email that makes his brain itch. Stories and rumors that were whispered at night behind closed doors in seminaries. [/i] Maybe using your occult skill you could see if you remember anything? Well, get me to check if you remember anything.
Galihad

I have a massive one(1) point in Occult and one of my three specialties is religious iconography. I won't know what I don't know until you roll the dice kind sir. Galihad is probably angsty to do something to not look quite so much like a third wheel.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Gough Suppressant posted:

Jonathan puts everything he has into trying to figure out what is pulling at the back of his mind about the e-mail.
using a point of willpower to recall occult information.

You furrow your brow and rack your brain but it remains on the tip of your tongue. You feel mentally drained from the effort.

:rolldice:

I feel really bad so here's what happened, 8 for success.

Tick a box below your willpower for future reference.

Cartoon posted:

Galihad

I have a massive one(1) point in Occult and one of my three specialties is religious iconography. I won't know what I don't know until you roll the dice kind sir. Galihad is probably angsty to do something to not look quite so much like a third wheel.

You don't focus intently but you scan your memory for something familiar, but come up with nothing.

(For both of you, by default it'll be at the back of your brain and if it isn't sorted maybe it'll pop into your head next scene, so i'll check periodically.)

Regardless of not being able to remember occult specifics, Frost and Jonathon both surmise judging by the dates of the emails, someone of the original three at the base isn't on the level.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Jonathan
"Well poo poo guys. Something is going on and it looks like one of our hosts is in on it. We need to be absolutely certain about who it is before we approach the others. If we can't be certain then we should approach all three of them as a group, if we approach whoever is behind this alone by accident we're probably dead meat. How certain are we that we can trust everyone that came with us?

And does anyone have any idea what the gently caress a "dark parliament" is?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Frost can check his memory and do an occult roll on the dark parliament, but even spending willpower because he has no occult there is a chance he can critically fail his roll which could be hilarious but potentially disastrous.

Also remember you guys have email and ye old internet. Do any of you three have any contacts you could email? Or do any of you have background in academia and good at research?

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
I am good at research but I wouldn't really know where to start researching a "dark parliament" other than going to yahoo/alta vista/AOL and I don't think that will cut it.

I don't think any of my contacts would be able to help me in this situation, I'd basically be firing completely randomly.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Mick
Mick stands from the bed holding his head and starts seeking the crying sound camera at the ready.
hello?

Edit: He quietly starts seeking the noise.

hooman fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Apr 21, 2014

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."
Niles

Niles wants to see what is "Off limits". He feels that something is being hidden from him and that it may have something to do with his families death. He will sneak as best he can - but in the meantime he decides that since that no one actually told him it was off limits, if he gets caught he will say that he was simply looking for the telescopes they use for astronomy. He repeats it to himself to the point that part of him believes that is what he is actually doing.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Galihad

While Galihad is good at research and book learning he sucks at Computers, and would avoid email unless forced too

Dark Parliament Eh? Sounds like more of a Protestant thing.

If someone else 'steers' Galihad could point in worthwhile directions but him by himself with a computer? Forget about it.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Frost

Frost Doesn't have the right kind of contacts for questions like these. He shrugs

If you want I can take a look around the base, see if there's anything to protect ourselves with.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
There was some amount of reading and planning going on tonight that got out of hand so I apologize for the delay. Will try and get through another cycle of turns tomorrow morning.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Rabia and Keaton cock their heads as the cry pierces the night once again. It's coming from Xavier's Cabin. How you can hear it through the wind and the snow is beyond you. The door is by all reports locked from the inside, but you should probably check it to be sure.

As I said before there is a single torch with you two in your cabin if you want to grab it.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Freudian Slip posted:

Niles

Niles wants to see what is "Off limits". He feels that something is being hidden from him and that it may have something to do with his families death. He will sneak as best he can - but in the meantime he decides that since that no one actually told him it was off limits, if he gets caught he will say that he was simply looking for the telescopes they use for astronomy. He repeats it to himself to the point that part of him believes that is what he is actually doing.

Niles stand before the door to the dark half of the base. You push open the double doors and the light from the hallway behind you illuminates your first few steps but soon you are in darkness. Using your hands to feel your way along the hall until your eyes adjust you make slow progress.

Your head pulses slowly and you mouth begins to dry.

Your heart pounds in your chest and your fingers dig into the palms of your hands and you start breathing raggedly.

Fear consumes you. Pure terror that seems to have no base in reality yet you can't fight it. You force yourself step after step but before you know it you are on the ground crying like a child and you turn and drag yourself out of the darkness and back into the illuminated hall and lie with your back against the wall until the fear passes.

You pull yourself to your feet and look back down the dark hallway that seems to call out to you to return.

This isn't a you shall not pass moment, you can grit your teeth and try again, perhaps using a point of willpower if you want to risk it.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

thatbastardken posted:

Frost

Frost Doesn't have the right kind of contacts for questions like these. He shrugs

If you want I can take a look around the base, see if there's anything to protect ourselves with.

Properly searching the base would take some time and result in you not getting any sleep, but you make a mental note of various knives and heavy tools that would be handy in a fight.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Niles

Niles calms his breathing and then the rapid beating of his heart.

That was silly he thinks to himself, there was nothing there rationally that I should fear. It was just dark was all, I just needed more time for my eyes to adjust.

Niles stands back up and hardens his resolves, thinking about his murdered family. "I will find the answers" he says to himself as he re-enters the forbidden area.

I spend a willpower to do this

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

hooman posted:

Mick
Mick stands from the bed holding his head and starts seeking the crying sound camera at the ready.
hello?

Edit: He quietly starts seeking the noise.

The whispers fade. Were they ever there at all?

The door opens slowly and your noise trap works as planned.

Sam picks up your noise trap which has fallen noisily on the floor.

SAM: Not bad for an amateur. You having nightmares? I heard you from down the hall.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Goddamn stupid java ads making me do these things multiple times! :argh:

Freudian Slip posted:

Niles

Niles calms his breathing and then the rapid beating of his heart.

That was silly he thinks to himself, there was nothing there rationally that I should fear. It was just dark was all, I just needed more time for my eyes to adjust.

Niles stands back up and hardens his resolves, thinking about his murdered family. "I will find the answers" he says to himself as he re-enters the forbidden area.

I spend a willpower to do this

You grit your teeth and plunge into the darkness. Fear grabs at you but you push through. It builds. It builds. It builds until you can't take it and you stumble but suddenly it is gone and you are standing in darkness and quiet.

Up ahead there are another set of double doors with a slight glow emanating underneath.

Your eyes adjust to the light and you see a foul symbol painted on the wall beside you, you realise you are resting your hand on it and you pull away your hand and it is covered in blood.

You have spent one point of willpower

Also can you tell me how long ago your parents died? It's be really super if it were around 20 years or so and it happened when you were a child. Just trying to avoid "the great evil awakes from its slumber from last tuesday" :)

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

LordPants posted:

Rabia and Keaton cock their heads as the cry pierces the night once again. It's coming from Xavier's Cabin. How you can hear it through the wind and the snow is beyond you. The door is by all reports locked from the inside, but you should probably check it to be sure.

As I said before there is a single torch with you two in your cabin if you want to grab it.

Rabia

Rabia stands to his feet, his drowsiness disappearing quickly.

That's not just the wind, my friend. Is there a light around here? Preferably a weapon of some sort also.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Sir Rabia Tirnova posted:

Rabia

Rabia stands to his feet, his drowsiness disappearing quickly.

That's not just the wind, my friend. Is there a light around here? Preferably a weapon of some sort also.

Rabia grabs the torch and flicks it on.

In a pinch you could hit someone with it and it'd hurt, it's a big metal one like the cops use in films.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Frost

Hey, Johnathon, can you print those emails off? Might be handy to have them in hard copy in case the computer breaks down a again.

Or gets broken down. It's clear that someone's trying to sabotage this base.

I'm pretty sure we can trust Keaton, I've worked with him before. The others I don't know. Try and get some sleep.

Keenly aware that trying to make plans and gather information while tired is a fools game, Frost decides to turn in. But not before securing a heavy tool to keep by his bed.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Mick
Thanks, force of habit when I'm unsettled. I've had a rough night, thought I could hear crying when I woke up, but it seems to be gone now. You hear anything?

Mick tidies the improvised trap parts up as he talks, tucking them into his camera bag ready to re-set if needed.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Galihad

Sabotage? That sounds bad. I'll help if I can, not with the sabotage, err I mean. What can I do?

If further conversation isn't happening Galihad finds where he is to bunk down and has a good old fashioned preying.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Jonathan
Good idea Michael
Jonathan attempts to print three copies of the e-mails off if possible, giving one to Frost, one to Galihad and keeping one for himself which he tucks into his clothing, before bunking down.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
e:double post

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Niles

Niles blood runs cold as he realises he is touching blood. Flash backs to his brothers apartment flicker across his mind. He once again tries to control his breathing with techniques he taught clients years ago.

He then leans in and examines the symbol. He then looks around the room he is currently in before creeping up to the doorway and listening for any noise on the other side.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Freudian Slip posted:

Niles

Niles blood runs cold as he realises he is touching blood. Flash backs to his brothers apartment flicker across his mind. He once again tries to control his breathing with techniques he taught clients years ago.

He then leans in and examines the symbol. He then looks around the room he is currently in before creeping up to the doorway and listening for any noise on the other side.

Looking at the symbol you see the blood is still wet, touching it you feel dark magicks run up your arm - this is clearly the source of the fear you felt before. Smearing it seems to dilute it's power and if you wanted you could completely remove it allowing anyone to move up the corridor without trouble.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Rabia

Flicking on the light, Rabia moves tentatively towards the sound of the noise listening for and looking for signs of sudden movement.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

hooman posted:

Mick
Thanks, force of habit when I'm unsettled. I've had a rough night, thought I could hear crying when I woke up, but it seems to be gone now. You hear anything?

Mick tidies the improvised trap parts up as he talks, tucking them into his camera bag ready to re-set if needed.

SAM: Noises? Crying? Nope. This place is cold, and in the middle of nowhere. It plays on your mind, it amplifies things. Just as long as you don't feel the urge to turn us all into shish-kebab you'll be fine.

He turns to leave.

Take it easy, alright?

You are alone in the infirmary again.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Rabia

Flicking on the light, Rabia moves tentatively towards the sound of the noise listening for and looking for signs of sudden movement.

Clinging onto the rope, Rabia and Keaton make their way through the wind and the cold to Xavier's cabin. Despite claims to the contrary the door swings open in the wind. The crying noise was just the sound of the rusty door hinges screeching in the night as the wind rocked the door.

What was that?

Did you just see something move in the window of the cabin?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Mick

Mick smiles lopsidedly at Sam.

I wouldn't worry about that, might stretch my legs.

Mick decides to take a walk to stetch his legs and clear his head. He will be moving through the approved areas and seeing if he runs into any else prowling the halls.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Bump!

Frost, Galihad and Jonathon have retired for the night.

Waiting on Freudian Slip, unless he doesn't post in which case he won't mess with the sigil and move on.

Milky if I don't here from you tomorrow Rabia is going to drag you into the crazy person's cabin whether you like it or not.

Hooman I'll update you when I update everyone else.

edit: regardless things will move slower now because things will have to start working in sequence.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Apr 27, 2014

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Keaton

"Well," Keaton says to no one in particular as he returns to his bed. "Wasn't that an exciting little trip?"

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Rabia

Rabia glances behind him and notices that he's on his own, while moving his head he thinks he spies some movement in the window.

"This is a fine how do you do. Looks like I've been left behind by a damned coward."

Rabia flashes the light towards the window quickly to try and catch whatever might be behind there out.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Rabia

Rabia glances behind him and notices that he's on his own, while moving his head he thinks he spies some movement in the window.

"This is a fine how do you do. Looks like I've been left behind by a damned coward."

Rabia flashes the light towards the window quickly to try and catch whatever might be behind there out.

Your torch light dances across the window. It could be shadows dancing but you definitely saw something

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

LordPants posted:

Looking at the symbol you see the blood is still wet, touching it you feel dark magicks run up your arm - this is clearly the source of the fear you felt before. Smearing it seems to dilute it's power and if you wanted you could completely remove it allowing anyone to move up the corridor without trouble.

Discarding the notion of doing anything to the symbol you approach the double doors. You listen closely, but hear nothing. If someone is in there they aren't moving.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Rabia

"There's definitely something in there, but I'm not going in alone without a firearm at least."

He mutters to himself.

"Ho there, anyone inside?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Rabia

"There's definitely something in there, but I'm not going in alone without a firearm at least."

He mutters to himself.

"Ho there, anyone inside?"

Silence.

The door creaks slowly

• Locked thread