Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

This game is fantastic. I'm bummed to see the dearth of conversation about it here and other gaming forums, but good god is it awesome. Yeah, the texture work is pretty loving shoddy (some of the areas are horrifically dithered) but it's just good old Tex Murphy fun. I'm having an absolute blast. I'm about 1/2 way through Day 2 and it's bringing back serious Under a Killing Moon vibes. Though I get the sense it won't be as good as Pandora Directive...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Ugh I had to go to work before the download was done. :(

Klaoth
Oct 21, 2010

Sleep, Nyan Cat, Lie in peace.
Lest the doors open wide,
And nyan unleashed on all.
Grah, how am I being defeated by 9 pieces of a secret symbol that I can't put together. Day 5

Nevermind. Geezuz some of these hidden items.

Klaoth fucked around with this message at 06:06 on May 8, 2014

Chippita
Jun 12, 2006

by Shine
Told my mother who was in the bathtub that this just came out today. She told me to grab her credit card and rushed out of the bath to see the trailer.

We used to play the Tex Murphy games growing up all the time, but now shes worried my 1337 g4m3r skillz are going to ruin it for her. :smith:

Little does she know that with a beer in my hand and a comfy spot, I'll just be riding the nostalgia trip until she beats it. :)

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

:laffo: they really did film this in the highest possible resolution. If nothing else the FMV looks absolutely incredible :allears:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Made it to Day 3 last night I'm really glad that my original theory that Tex had Mason remove his memories of Chelsee was wrong.

Squee
Jun 15, 2003
<3
Great game, having a blast so far! Played a good 6 hours last night, before finally getting stuck and calling it a night on day 5 I got the 7 circled red letters, but no idea what to do with them
It really does look pretty great, tho Tex looking old makes me feel old :corsair:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Holy poo poo the FMV is insane. If nothing else I really hope this spawns a new Golden Age of FMV games. The concept has more or less reached the point where technology has caught up and for about $500k you can create a interactive movie for people to play/watch.

Dr. Video Games 0155
Aug 24, 2004

If in doubt, throw more men at it!
This is just a fantastic nostalgia trip to a simpler gaming era. The FMV's do look really good and this rendition of Tex Murphy is a great step forward in the adventure game genre. Called it a night on Day 3 as well, glad this game turned out as it did.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

pentyne posted:

Holy poo poo the FMV is insane. If nothing else I really hope this spawns a new Golden Age of FMV games. The concept has more or less reached the point where technology has caught up and for about $500k you can create a interactive movie for people to play/watch.

I've only seen the intro, but it really looked good for the budget it was on. Was sort of jarring to hear the voice of the Smart Alex

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Where do you put the ladder once you get it from the warehouse? I've tried putting it everywhere around the electronics store and get negative responses

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

You Am I posted:

Where do you put the ladder once you get it from the warehouse? I've tried putting it everywhere around the electronics store and get negative responses

Against the open window across from Tex's office. You need to have the open window itself as the target for using the ladder.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
I never did play the old Tex Murphy games but I am really stoked for this, will buy it as soon as I get home. FMVs and adventure games where the high point of PC gaming I don't care what anyone says.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Just had the time to play this a bit and so far I'm enjoying it immensely.
Old school Tex Murphy adventuring with great looking FMV, fun characters and very entertaining dialogue. Haven't seen many puzzles yet, but I'm sure some of them will be devilishly difficult (for me at least).

I really hope it reviews (IGN gave it a 6.8 :frogout:) and sells well enough to warrant another game in the future.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
This is the only Kickstarter game I've backed and I'm glad I did. It looks fantastic and they finished under budget. I got exactly what I wanted and that's it. Loving it.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

This game is really loving dope. :dance:

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Just beat day 1. This is pretty much exactly like the old games, for better and worse, but with better controls and HD video. The first day was ridiculously easy but I'm sure it's going to get harder.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I'm having a problem on Day Two. I got the Picture of Woman from Maldonado's office but Holly is still on strike and Tex says I should come back later. That's the only thing left in the hint list so I don't know what I'm missing.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Alright. I've got some bourbon handy(because Tex says that's a true detective's drink), and I'm ready to get to it.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

But do you got some smokes?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Tunahead posted:

Against the open window across from Tex's office. You need to have the open window itself as the target for using the ladder.

That's what I thought it would have to go, but still doesn't seem to work. Will try it again tonight

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

I wish there was a low-res download option for laptops with small hard drives and that don't need 2k resolution video :(

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Yeah I've done everything I can on Chandler Avenue and I can't advance on day 2. It's not recognizing that I picked up the photo from the office or something. :mad:

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

i'm up to day 6 now and day 5 had some real meh puzzle design. didn't enjoy day 5 that much.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Luigi Thirty posted:

Yeah I've done everything I can on Chandler Avenue and I can't advance on day 2. It's not recognizing that I picked up the photo from the office or something. :mad:

Are you seeing an option to go to the beach house if use your speeder or select the beach house from the map on your Smart Alec?

Edit: And I hope that this is the part you're talking about. If not, I might be giving you a very insignificant spoiler for something like 10 minutes from where you are now.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

The Human Crouton posted:

Are you seeing an option to go to the beach house if use your speeder or select the beach house from the map on your Smart Alec?

Edit: And I hope that this is the part you're talking about. If not, I might be giving you a very insignificant spoiler for something like 10 minutes from where you are now.

That is the part and I do not. Nobody has told me about the beach house. I'm assuming Holly tells me that's where to go next. The hint list says "take photo," "bring photo to Holly," then "go to beach house." I have the photo, I've shown it to everyone in the neighborhood, and I can't talk to Holly. I've tried reloading earlier saved games all the way back to Day 1 and I can't get the game to recognize that I actually have done it.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 06:48 on May 9, 2014

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Luigi Thirty posted:

That is the part and I do not. Nobody has told me about the beach house. I'm assuming Holly tells me that's where to go next. The hint list says "take photo," "bring photo to Holly," then "go to beach house." I have the photo, I've shown it to everyone in the neighborhood, and I can't talk to Holly. I've tried reloading earlier saved games all the way back to Day 1 and I can't get the game to recognize that I actually have done it.

Did you get the call from the lady on the video phone in the other PI's office? Also, I can talk to Holly because I encouraged her to fight for holographic rights so she still talks to me, but maybe if you piss her off you have to something else to get back in her good graces? Does she actually refuse to speak to you?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Did you get the call from the lady on the video phone in the other PI's office? Also, I can talk to Holly because I encouraged her to fight for holographic rights so she still talks to me, but maybe if you piss her off you have to something else to get back in her good graces? Does she actually refuse to speak to you?

Yeah, I picked up the photo and Tex answered the vidphone. I didn't piss Holly off, either. I told her I supported holographic rights. Her sign says "ON STRIKE" and Tex says that he should come back later when she's not on strike. Maybe if someone still has an autosave from going to the beach house on Day 2 that would work.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

No, it's just a plot thing. Like when your landlord at the Ritz removes the bell from his desk.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib
I think I am stuck on day 3 (maybe) and it's the worst collectaton puzzle.

I know I should put the baseball cards on the painting, I've already found the code to the locker and picket the one up in there but now I'm missing two cards and I just cannot find them

(also, game is great)

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Luigi Thirty posted:

Yeah, I picked up the photo and Tex answered the vidphone. I didn't piss Holly off, either. I told her I supported holographic rights. Her sign says "ON STRIKE" and Tex says that he should come back later when she's not on strike. Maybe if someone still has an autosave from going to the beach house on Day 2 that would work.

Wow. No idea. Now I kind of want to start a second game just to see if I can make that happen.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

Fredrik1 posted:

I think I am stuck on day 3 (maybe) and it's the worst collectaton puzzle.

I know I should put the baseball cards on the painting, I've already found the code to the locker and picket the one up in there but now I'm missing two cards and I just cannot find them

(also, game is great)

The ones I ended up missing were under one of the cushions of the couch downstairs, and on one of the windowsills by the beds. Just gotta keep opening things, really.

w00tuberjedi
Jul 3, 2007

A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away...

The most uber of the Jedi
Is it necessary to play the older games to enjoy this one? I loved old school FMV games but I never tried the Tex ones.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Wow. No idea. Now I kind of want to start a second game just to see if I can make that happen.

I got it. You can't talk to Holly again until you talk to Clint in the Ritz. The bell didn't show up. idgi. I started a new game and it worked.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I am so stuck on day 5. I can find 5 of the circled letters but I keep missing two, and I have no idea where the crap they are
This game is pretty drat funny, I don't think I've enjoyed a cast as much in a while.
EDIT: Oh duh I found the things I was missing, I wasn't exploring as thoroughly as I should have.

Dreadwroth fucked around with this message at 08:49 on May 9, 2014

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

w00tuberjedi posted:

Is it necessary to play the older games to enjoy this one? I loved old school FMV games but I never tried the Tex ones.

No. The game does a decent job with flashbacks to the old games that'll fill in enough blanks.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
Fallen Rib

Red Minjo posted:

The ones I ended up missing were under one of the cushions of the couch downstairs, and on one of the windowsills by the beds. Just gotta keep opening things, really.

Got both of these, I've opened/moved/switched places on seemingly everything, several times. I wonder what I am missing.

w00tuberjedi posted:

I've never played the older ones and I have really liked this game so far.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Holy crap I thought Chapter 5 was hard, ahhh how naive I was. I just hit a brick wall, and I have no idea how to get past it aside from brute forcing the answer. The hint system isn't even helping, so take that for what you will.
EDIT: Goddamn I love this game, I like having puzzles that are legit hard to solve without being super stupid hard. I would totally watch a Tex Murphy TV show with the same cast, it would be the new Magnum PI.

Dreadwroth fucked around with this message at 13:05 on May 9, 2014

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Dreadwroth posted:

I would totally watch a Tex Murphy TV show with the same cast, it would be the new Magnum PI.

This would be the best thing ever. I remember Adrian Carr mentioning that he would like to do a Tex Murphy movie or a TV show at some point. I doubt it will happen but one can always dream. Even a Youtube series would be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I would watch the crap out of that, no joke. I'm still wondering what kind of inside joke the Knights Templar are, was it a reference to an earlier Tex Murphey or am I just overthinking it?
PS: I just beat the game, and am planning a "gamer" runthrough so I can improve my score, since I got the "Canary" ending. Guess I relied on hints too much lol.

• Locked thread