Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Hank Moody is back.

These threads get few replies so here is a low effort post.

First episode just aired.

It was funny.

Hooray.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimble
Jul 7, 2002

He will build a castle with garden on an island called Cheshire, and he is permitted to breed.
Just watched the first episode.

It was an episode, not that bad, not that good.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Does anyone even care about this show anymore? I thought it was pretty drat funny and entertaining for the first two seasons and then something happened I guess that caused a rapid decline in quality so I haven't even seen it since. Is it worth watching any of the other seasons? I'm morbidly curious how it will end but I'll probably just read a synopsis.

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.
I loved the first few seasons. Didn't realize that there was going to be another.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
I'm happy it's back. Californication has always been a guilty pleasure of mine. Plus it was nice to see Pamela Aldon in lingerie.

Regulus74
Jul 26, 2007

Xaris posted:

Does anyone even care about this show anymore? I thought it was pretty drat funny and entertaining for the first two seasons and then something happened I guess that caused a rapid decline in quality so I haven't even seen it since. Is it worth watching any of the other seasons? I'm morbidly curious how it will end but I'll probably just read a synopsis.

Yes and kind of yes. It seems really obvious that they ran out of places to go with the characters/jokes during season three and season four ties up a ton of loose ends and seems to be the intended ending to the series. I'd say watch up til the end of season four at least. There's good stuff throughout seasons three and four. Less so in seasons five and six.

By now everything is running pretty thin but I'm still mildly interested to see how everything wraps up.

manwithoutskin
Mar 24, 2006
can you see the line where the water ends
Yeah the season 4 finale could have easily been the series finale. I wish it were so. Either way last nights episode got some laughs out of me, Runkle is hilarious.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The show is what it has always been, higher brow comedy with a lot of sex and drugs. I suspect this is always why it has never been all that popular as most people don't get all the references.

Season three was excellent but had such a down ending it would have been a shame to end it there.

Hopefully Eddie Nero shows up again for a nice cameo.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
I knew that little poo poo head was Hank's kid when he said "I just want to know what kind of man you are."

Hopefully the mother of this kid is not some crazy psycho.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I hope it is his terrible daughter. That would be a twist!

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick

Waltzing Along posted:

Hopefully Eddie Nero shows up again for a nice cameo.

Don't forget Batesy, who is my favorite tertiary character on this show.

I'm still mildly entertained by the show, even if it is the same poo poo every year. Will Hank get with Karen? What kind of sexual shenanigans will the Runkles get into? Will Hank squander whatever career opportunity he gets this season? Will Becca return to her home planet?

Also, this thread needs more of this: :nws: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KViA_owLcw :nws: LONG LIVE KONG!

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Exploder posted:

I'm still mildly entertained by the show, even if it is the same poo poo every year. Will Hank get with Karen? What kind of sexual shenanigans will the Runkles get into? Will Hank squander whatever career opportunity he gets this season? Will Becca return to her home planet?

I can't argue with any of this but I still really like this show. I could watch Hank and Runkle banter and get into trouble forever.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

smg77 posted:

I can't argue with any of this but I still really like this show. I could watch Hank and Runkle banter and get into trouble forever.

Exactly. They are great characters.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I thought this show was cancelled like five or six years ago. :psyduck:

I enjoyed the first season, though, is it worth powering through the later ones?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
1-3 are good. After that it's got a lot of fun stuff but isn't really good.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I remember thinking that last season really felt like the end, and being a little bummed that it was coming back instead of ending on such a perfect note (for the second time even, after the S4 finale). At the very least it seems like there are some promising threads in this new season - Hank dealing with the professional bridges he's burned is something I'm a little shocked the show hasn't tackled much before, the Runkles are always better when they're together, and while the "long-lost son" angle was pretty obvious it could be a good catalyst for exploring the extent of Hank's maturation.

I still don't love the show, and I'm not sure that anything we've gotten since S4 is worth spoiling the potential of that finale, but I'm at least encouraged by the fact that they're keeping the "growing up" momentum from last year going.

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

first episodde certainly was an episode. not good, not terrible either.

not really looking forward to the son storyline.. just make this show about runkle.

James R
Dec 22, 2006

I hear they're still eating paper. Is that true?

suddenlyissoon posted:

I'm happy it's back. Californication has always been a guilty pleasure of mine. Plus it was nice to see Pamela Aldon in lingerie.

Her filthy mouth does strange things to me ever since I realised I recognised her because she was in the classic Star Trek TNG episode, 'Who Watches the Watchers'.

Gotta love Californication. They could have the entire episode be just Hank and Runkle sitting in the house shooting the poo poo and it would be brilliant. Watching Runkle think he's dying only to have him blow his beans in front of the entire office was brilliant. It's not top-class comedy, but it's still funny at times!

I also loved Soprano-Writer-Guy asking Hank if his son was on the spectrum. I hope they don't run the 'retard' thing into the ground, but little touches like that are golden.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

You realize that episode 2 hasn't aired yet, right?

That said, Runkle's devotion to Hank to go do his job instead of have sex was pretty funny.

Can of Cloud
May 20, 2010
The first 3 seasons were fun to watch, but then it shifted its focus on sex and how many women Hank can bang. Too much repetition. Plus, his daughter is annoying.

Azmodaii
Aug 16, 2008
Karen, Becca and pretty much all the characters on this show (except for Batesey, he's awesome)suck hard, but Hank and Runckle are so good it's worth watching any episode really. Also I find that the episodic supporting actors/actresses are generally fairly entertaining.

I'll be sad to see this show end.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
How Runkle got his boner back.

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

This show jumped the shark the second season 2 premiered in my opinion but it is a guilty pleasure. I feel like season 1 had a good mix of comedy and drama. Everything since has just been silly and it can be an amusing ride for the most part. The tits don't hurt.

I maintain that the hottest girl on the show was the actress playing Mia in season 4.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
So the third episode aired a few days ago and.

I know I watched. Somehow Becca is annoying even when she is just referred to. I think it is a good thing she hasn't actually shown up yet.

DarthXaos
Oct 27, 2010
Hanks new boss has some impressive screenwriting credentials:

James R
Dec 22, 2006

Hank's high pitched, "Motherfuuuucckkkerrrrrr," never fails to make me laugh. He's always so happy when he does it. Punches a tooth out Dentist Dick's mouth and is chuffed and goes, "That's right! Still got it, motherfuuuuuuuuckkerrrrr!"

Also, how god damned hot is Heather Graham still?! What the gently caress? She is just as hot as she was when I saw her on Scrubs like a decade ago or something. Has she got a painting locked up in her attic that ages?

bubblegumbo0
Apr 24, 2008

我的機動戰士是個ヤンデレ!
I just realized that Rick Rath is Michael Imperioli aka Christopher from the Sopranos, I should have recognized that nose and the way he says "gently caress" sooner.

James R
Dec 22, 2006

Are.. are they killing off Karen?!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Oh poo poo. I need to catch up. Currently 2 or 3 episodes behind, but a dead Karen is drama. Heather Graham is way hotter, anyway.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Epidose 6 ends with a cover of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1ki3AbK8tM

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

James R posted:

Also, how god damned hot is Heather Graham still?! What the gently caress? She is just as hot as she was when I saw her on Scrubs like a decade ago or something. Has she got a painting locked up in her attic that ages?

Agreed. The women is Fourty Four years old, has been acting since I was born and she is still hot as gently caress.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Gotta admit - I haven't hated this season. Last season was boring as hell because it dealt with stuff that wasn't really in the now, like a '70s rock star and hot girl muses.

This time - manboobed loser sweet-addicted virgin men, cuckold fetishes, not being able to get it up for your wife, paying for sex, single moms, terrible advice like "anyone can be a jerk, not everyone can be a gentleman" - for whatever reason this poo poo's just sort of in the air now. And no Becca!!!!!

EDIT: And now an e-cig with weed in it!

No Wave fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jun 2, 2014

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I'm enjoying the father son stuff the most. It's a cool new tone for the show.

Diddie
Sep 1, 2001

What the heck is going on in here???

James R posted:

Are.. are they killing off Karen?!

One can only hope

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I'm downgrading my viewings of Californication from hatewatching back to momentum viewing.

Awkward nerd son who totally isn't Jonah Hill gets on my nerves, but everything else is okay, even when it isn't. I'll always enjoy the farce, even in the season whose message was that addiction doesn't exist and everybody should just chill out and do drugs in rehab.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Well, that episode was interesting. I like the new Becca. She would have been tolerable.

Also, part of me is sad that there are only a couple episodes left. Something about the show has resonated with me since the beginning.

James R
Dec 22, 2006

Oh look, they took the one chance at having any character development on this show after years of none and threw it away by not killing off Karen.

On the other hand, I lost count of the number of times that it was pointed out that Hank and Karen are not married in the episode. Easily over ten mentions of it.

The last episode ever has to be them getting married. Has to be.

The preview for next week showing Eddie Nero with a handgun and in character as a cop (who perhaps takes men in his mouth?) bodes well for some comedy gold.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Rob Lowe must love that character.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Only two episodes to go.

In just a couple weeks Moodyfication will be no more.

I just want a satisfying ending. And perhaps someday, people will look back and realize how great this show was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Shame to see it go just when it starts to feel like it finally got its groove back after so many mediocre-at-best seasons. Looking forward to a happy sendoff akin to season one's ending.

• Locked thread