Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Xander77 posted:

I've been told that the issue is more that there is a lot of combat, with very little variation. You loathe the thought of the next combat encounter, because you know it's going to be functionally identical to the one before and the one after and the one after and the one after and the one after and the one after.

And the one after.

I played this game and loved the art and story, but this quote is very true of the combat.

I found the combat to be quite intriguing at first, but after a couple of battles, you quickly realise that there is a 'best' way to approach combat, and the game doesn't really throw any curveballs at you. There are no environmental effects, no truly unique enemies, and once you've figured out how to beat each enemy, each battle boils down to a dreary routine. Every time you see enemy 'X' you will engage them in the same way for best effect, and the game does absolutely nothing to either encourage creativity or at least punish repetition.

Also on your first time through gently caress bullshit character loss. Oh you just spent a godawful amount of your renown upgrading a character? Well gently caress you, he/she/it will be killed in a completely arbitary cutscene. The CYOA bits of the story are fun and engaging on their own, but I really dislike how they can impact on the actual tactical component as you really have no idea how the decisions will play out.

For example

1. You encounter refugees. Do you

a. Help them? - They reward you with shinies.
b. Leave them? - They go apeshit and kill your best fighter.

2. You encounter refugees. Do you

a. Help them? - They turn out to be bandits and kill your best fighter.
b. Leave them? - Nothing happens

Now the random character deaths wouldn't be an issue if resources in the game weren't so stretched. You can conceivably obtain enough kills to level up two teams of characters, but having the actual Renown to do it is another issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Coolguye posted:

I didn't really have any problems with random character deaths at all, aside from one dude who has about as much luck as Shaggy from Scooby Doo and is roughly as important. Literally every other big character death people complained about, I felt like there was AMPLE warning that bad poo poo was going down.

It's not the big ones that are the problem. It's the random minor characters that you've gotten attached to due to whatever special ability they brought to your team, and suddenly *arbitary choice* to determine if they die.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Thesaya posted:

I was about to mention that it was a weird name for a female. Maybe Chewbot can tell us why?

All will be revealed in due time.

Echoing the love for Oddleif and the archer girls. Their only weakness is that they tend to be a bit squishy and consequently can't deal as much strength damage once their will runs out. They are armour breakers beyond compare though.

I personally found Egil difficult to use effectively, mainly due to the lack of threat management/taunting in the game. I stuck by him as he was a sacrificial wall for my archers, and cried when i lost him and all the renown i invested.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe
I went up against the big steaming pile of bullshit named Bellower with four archers. I think having more than one or two Varl in the final fight definitely a liability.

That said - gently caress Bellower and his arbitary bullshit mechanics.

• Locked thread