Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Gunnulf dying in that fight actually showcases something that can be a recurring trend. His combination of high strength and low armor with his aoe ability means that it's tempting to slice multiple people, but he's insanely vulnerable to being swarmed. Overall, he's pretty hazardous to use for that reason, although fun.

Banner Saga is pretty fantastic though, the choice element is handled quite well throughout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
To empathize the point, it's not almost any path, it's every other set of options in that last sequence that gets Egil killed. The path shown in the LP is the only way for Egil to survive this particular event.

I did a lot of repeats here on my 2nd game to figure out whether the kid could actually survive, and I was tempted at one point to leave him and Alette out of the previous fight before finally finding the right options.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
The talk about saving Egil in that first event is kind of funny, because I did the same thing the first time too and tried to use my axe since I've been using him to melee (basically used him as a bodyguard for his daughter).

At that point though I did feel that was punishment for not sending them back to safety though.

Tryggvi is actually helpful in the beginning too because he comes with an item when you're pretty short on items overall.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
3 injuries, 2 giants 1 trygg. Technically it's most I guess?

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
First time round, I trusted Mogr and let him keep his peace about his suspicions. Of course, that curiousity just made the unknown bounce around in my head for a while.

As for Yrsa, she's actually pretty awesome. She has really high break and exertion, where she can naturally break 6 armor with her bow. That's damned impressive, and with the number of varl units you have here, it's easy to physically prevent enemies from reaching her.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Well you get renown if you let Eirik go back to Strand, so if you're not using him, it's not a bad idea to let him leave.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I didn't know Ludin could die, but it honestly doesn't surprise me either. Given the fact that earlier in the trip you can knock Ludin out and send him to Grofheim with his men, the game can account for Ludin not being with you.

Of course, if you do that, given how Grofheim is absolutely overrun, it's not hard to imagine he dies if you take that course of action.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Honestly I don't find any of the lady archers particularly useful when fighting humans. Their abilities/fragility rely on being able to control enemy movements, and humans are far too erratic for that, especially the Backbiters. It also doesn't help that every human is still dangerous even with minimum strength, due to either high break, high exertion, Bloody Flail, archer's puncture... the list goes on.

Edit: I have a question about the combat specifically, but the question may be slightly spoilerish in regards to combat. What's the spoiler policy on purely the combat mechanics?

Keldulas fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jun 13, 2014

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I actually join Oddleif in shooting the vultures in that event. I THINK it gives a morale boost, though I don't quite remember.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Speaking of choices that we didn't take, recently did a completely different choice in Chapter 2, the one where you ask Ekkill to let you out of the city and camp outside for the period. I liked how different it makes the beginning segment in this chapter play out, you end up fighting dredge, and there's a lot of opportunities for repeated fights. Makes the situation feel nice and dangerous overall.

I had to have Egil facetank an entire flank though, those fights are HARD.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Yeah I did all the fights too. It was loving messy, especially since that was the run I decided to not use Iver at all and go with human power! .... The early game ends up painful I only survived because of Egil.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Egil is insanely effective at abusing those bombs. He can stone-wall block the damage, and if you withdraw everyone else from range, it's possible to lure enemies to attacking Egil and onto the bombs.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

Captain Oblivious posted:

That

Is a really clever thing I never thought of.

It's honestly pretty hard to do just due to how the turn order could be when the bombs fall, and if Egil is too healthy or there's delicious targets out of range, I have had dudes ignore Egil entirely still. It IS funny when it happens though.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
That item plus the fact that Rook can naturally reach 3 break is the reason why I have NEVER found mark prey all that useful. Rook is just too loving good at absolutely obliterating armor. Just as good as Yrsa naturally is. Only Rook can always get that item and isn't made of damp paper.

Granted, Yrsa's probably still better but eh.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
My main problem with the archer swarm idea is that I'm not fond enough of the archers to have more than one girl archer in the party. Hell, my last party used none of them. They automatically have a harder time if there's too many slingers/archers in the enemy lineup, and I generally don't find them useful at all in human fights since humans don't have varl-size units, which I use liberally to jam up enemy advances.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

Captain Bravo posted:

The key is learning to use the enemy's big units against them. Not only are 4-tile dredge easier to nab with the trap arrow, they also make mighty fine roadblocks when you lure them into the right position and stick them there.

That's one of my points, I find the archers get REALLY useless during human fights, there's no 4 tile units to keep them safe.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

Captain Bravo posted:

Oh! Ohhh, I misunderstood. When you said "human" fights, I thought you meant fighting the dredge with rook's, mostly-human caravan.

Ah. That makes sense now. Honestly, the archer party Mark Prey idea (plus Tryggvi since spear range is usable with Mark Prey too), sounds like a blast to pull off, but the main thing that stops me from trying it is the logistics of how to handle the fights with human opponents. My only idea right now is to injure Egil deliberately to make him baity and throw him in a corner stone-walling off half the opponents to waste their exertion.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I.... honestly wasn't aware that the Stonesinger had other spells. No matter how many times I let him cast it's always the Str/Armor spell.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

Omobono posted:

Menders and their chain lightning. Dredge can't checkerboard or the back ranks get blown up in a single spell.

You joke(?), but you can pull the splinter shockwave followed by an ICBG in actual gameplay and it's as glorious as it sounds. Unfortunately map boundaries stop it.

Yeah one of my very regular turn orders is Rook/Yrsa followed immediately by Gunnulf. It's insanely effective.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Yeah, Nid... you're cool and all, but uh, would have liked to use you, say, hours ago!

Yep, that's her biggest problem. I like her ability a ton more than, say, Alette's, but she gets like so little play time comparatively.

Funny thing is that first time I played, game bugged out on me (at least I'm pretty sure it's a bug) and gave Nid like 6 floating points to spend. So she ended up being the best archer just due to all the extra stats.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

Well no, the damage still gets reduced by armor like normal attacks. It's just that when Nid's strength is lower than the target's armor, it ignores the target's chance to deflect. That's not particularly useful because you're just plinking for 1 damage and you'd probably be better off breaking armor. The nice part is the extra range, which keeps her safer and gives the standard archer passive more flexibility.

One guarenteed damage is honestly still more useful than it sounds, to a large degree because it's so long-range. Against any of the melee dredge at least, it's a completely safe action. Plus the puncture thing that you mention works on it too.

Honestly, Nid/Rook's abilities/capabilities work really well together, it's just a pity that Nid comes so freaking late in the game.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
With our decisions, he's supposed to be critically injured but alive, but he still passes leadership to Rook.

Granted I don't know what actually happened to him, the game hasn't made another mention of him since the initial escape. Though I have a suspicion based on how you address him and how he's labelled.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Honestly, I'm not all that fond of Egil going down because of this. Literally the only way to avoid is to just steer clear of the entire mess and not take them along in the first place. The only real follow-up hints about their trustworthiness or lack there-of (other than the warning from the crazy man in preorder-only content) happen after it's too late to stop it.

It's a bit of a pity just because while Onef is basically a backstabber (Backbiter hurr), is that he raises good points about what people would be afraid of in the caravan. It's good for the overall narrative, but it's kind of punishes you gameplay-wise.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Same thing as if you just stay within Frostvellr's walls. Both those decisions are the same outcome.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

ViggyNash posted:

Oh, that's a little disappointing

Don't be too disappointed, while staying within the walls or allying with Ekkill are the same, the choice for staying outside of Frostvellr is VERY different and pretty interesting in it's own right. It's a LOT harder but the potential rewards for staying outside are pretty awesome if you can handle it.

On the entire discussion of the game's difficulty, I personally find the renown thing to be just fine to manage myself, with the exception of permanently losing invested renown if you lose someone in an event. Given that Chewbot already said he's fixing that in Banner Saga 2, nothing more to be said there.

Funny thing is that I find the difficulties to reflect the risk/reward system in general, if you can handle the harder battles, the increased amount of renown actually makes it easier to keep the caravan from starving. I didn't have Onef's supplies exiting Frostvellr, but I managed to stop starvation from massively dinging the caravan (admittedly I both rushed completely through Hakon's thing with no resting whatsoever, and had to rob those poor farmers).

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

Coolguye posted:

Could you point to the situations you felt like this? I've been through the game going on 4 times now and I have never felt "lol lose a thing" was ever really in this game's vocabulary. To be clear on what I would consider "lol lose a thing", let's consider the example of Zafehouse: Diaries.

That game will very literally spawn a lynch mob that will hunt your survivors down and present them with a choice: Give up one of your group to be brutally murdered, or refuse and fight a group twice your size, all armed with various firearms and lots of ammo. And even if you win one of the fights, if you don't murder every last one of the lynch mob (via random chance), they will get more guns and more dudes and be back later. The only warning you can possibly get from this is if you have someone with very high Spotting that detects someone casing your safehouse. And then after you see that person, you IMMEDIATELY loving move. And stay on the move for days, until maybe, MAYBE they've given up on trying to find you. And then you stop for a moment because everyone needs to sleep, but the lynch mob apparently does not and they still stand a fine chance of finding you anyway.

Or when you get an event that has a young teenage girl banging on your safehouse, pleading for refuge from the zombies and insisting she can help you. You are offered no more information than what I just put there. As a matter of fact the last clause of that sentence is almost word for word quoted from the meat of the event text. What happens if you let her in, or ask her questions from a distance? gently caress you! She's infected, and now she's got a 25-33% chance of tearing a chunk out of one of your group before you can put her down! But that's not all. Ohhh no. A few days after she fucks you up, her parents will come looking for her, carrying shotguns and hunting rifles and demanding to know where she is. Think they might be reasonable if you tell them the truth, that she was infected? gently caress you! They think you're just murderers no matter what you do, and now they're trying to blast your faces off with some of the most hardcore weaponry in the game! But hey, now that you know that, it's simple to just kill the girl, right? gently caress you! That means the parents will come for you anyway! Literally the only safe move in this dilemma is to tell her you can't help her, from through the door. And there are no hints on this anywhere, and no warnings before the girl is munching on your face or the parents are shooting your genitals off.

And by the way, losing even a single person is often a death sentence for your run in Zafehouse. Each person of the group is good at something and fills a niche in your group. If they die, critical work will be left un-done and the rest of the team will suffer for it.

I really, really, REALLY cannot come up with a situation in this game that is even in the same ballpark as unfair by design and spiteful as that. The stereotypical example in Gunnulf's scene, the game very clearly telegraphs its intentions if you read what's going on, and even stops to give you an are you sure you want to make this mistake choice. And even then the downside to it hurts, but in no way torpedoes your run or even makes it that much harder in the majority of situations.

Yeah, that's largely why I stopped playing Zafehouse Diaries. Pretty much everything is RNG-based with little direct control, which gets annoying.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

FairGame posted:

Gameplay-wise, the whole Onef thing really screws you if you relied on Egil at all. It's a great punch in the gut.

I just wish you could have 4 raiders in your party all the time, rather than from Frostvelr thru the betrayal.

Egil, Hogun, Mogun, and one of Onef/Ekkill standing in a square formation will all get +4 armor. That's enough to make them basically invulnerable. You can clear entire maps on hard difficulty just standing in formation, waiting for things to come to you, and watching them blunt themselves on your formation. Hogun and Mogun shine in such a formation, since Bloody Flail does extra damage the more allies you're adjacent to.

I actually did a run with Egil, Hogun, Mogun in my main party you can replicate that formula reasonably well by adding Rook as the back corner of the formation. If you raise his armor, he does well enough to tank the occasional hit, albeit the dudes he's adjacent to have 1 less armor than your listed formation. However the ranged attack/his armor shredding still works wonders and it means the rear person isn't wasting a turn.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

CzarChasm posted:

I like it, and I like the idea. It gives weight to your choices. And for me, it adds to replayability. "Wow. That guy hosed me over after all I did for him. What happens if I tell him to go eat poo poo the next time?"

Is this a rhetorical question in terms of talking about game design, or do you actually want someone to tell you what happens?

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

Doctor Reynolds posted:

The "win the game with never getting to bad morale" achievement is impossible, I swear.

It's vital to side with Onef early on and loot the room for all it's worth (including the additional fight). Beyond that, prioritize buying the markets out if you find markets with a ratio of 3:1 or better.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I know you don't want people who played before to vote on the decisions, but what is your stance on us voting for your party to use?

If my vote is valid, 5 votes for Yrsa (she's a stellar unit, she deserves more gameplay dammit).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Yeah the ending definitely hits the right notes. My first game, Alette made the appeal to me for the arrow, and I gave it to her because she wanted to show us how she had grown. Narratively speaking, it feels right that Alette is the one that shoots, even if it's sad.

Shooting Bellower is well done in motion. After the scream, which pushes everyone away, he moves on the grid to the archer, and you get the pan of the screen.

• Locked thread