Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ninjaiguana
Aug 1, 2009

Holy shit! I have a tail?!
Banner Saga is an amazing game. I've completed it twice, first on Normal as a standard playthrough, and then again on Easy to farm some of the trickier achievements (though I got Beat the Odds blind on my Normal run, which felt pretty good!). The difference between the two is night and day - enemies on Easy have vastly reduced stats. I'd say for anyone thinking of trying out Banner Saga, always try it on Normal first, because if you try it on Easy, you won't learn proper tactics, and Normal will wreck your poo poo.

My main issue with Banner Saga is that for best results, you kind of want to have played the game before. Your unit roster can change around, and quite a few of the available units can be lost forever. This means it helps to know what you intend your core roster to be from the get-go, so that you can funnel kills to those individuals whenever possible so that they can rank up. It also means that if you burn your Renown upgrading absolutely everyone, you'll end up with a bunch of kind-of-ok dudes at the end (and may have lost some people you spent Renown on, drat it!), and no real shitkickers. So it's a bit of a trap. This got really evident when I replayed on Easy and had a final party of max-ranked dudes by the end. On my first blind Normal run, I think I had most of my main party at 1 off max rank, and maybe one straggler at 2 ranks down.

ninjaiguana fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Apr 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjaiguana
Aug 1, 2009

Z the IVth posted:

Now the random character deaths wouldn't be an issue if resources in the game weren't so stretched. You can conceivably obtain enough kills to level up two teams of characters, but having the actual Renown to do it is another issue.

Word. For people who've not played the game, Renown is your ONLY currency. You use it for more than just levelling your dudes. This can lead to some hard choices.

ninjaiguana fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Apr 27, 2014

ninjaiguana
Aug 1, 2009

For that fight in the tower, my general tactic was to split forces, sending a couple around the upper path, and trundling varl along the lower one. I think I generally sent Ludin and Hakon north, had Yrsa supporting them with coals, pushed my others south. Ludin punishes the slingers hard, Hakon can one-shot them a lot of the time.

It's also a good idea to have the guys running the lower path burn exertion for movement, just try and zip across as swiftly as possible. If you can close with the dudes opposite ASAP while the slingers are distracted by your other attack, it makes it pretty easy.

ninjaiguana
Aug 1, 2009

Yeah, that was a really awesome moment when I saw it on my first playthrough. Just the 'Well, that was tough, but hopefully at the Varl capital we can resupply and....oh. Ohhhhh. Well, poo poo.'

It's the first time that the game reveals the true scope of the Dredge threat - up till now the Varl have been saying 'these Dredge are pretty goddamn bad, and we've gotten a bit complacent since the last time, plus there's less of us now', but you've been kicking their arse in fight after fight, so you're ready to rock up, take charge and be the goddamn hero. Then you see this. And you realise this isn't a story about you being the brave commander taking charge of the plucky underdogs and driving back the scourge. This is you being possibly the last of the Varl race, and what the gently caress do you do now?

Brilliant moment. It's hard for games these days to make you feel at a loss, because you're so used to being the hero. Banner Saga manages it, though!

ninjaiguana fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jun 10, 2014

ninjaiguana
Aug 1, 2009

my dad posted:

Helmet, helmet... Why do I get the nagging feeling that this is important someh

Goodbye, Back McStabby.

I'm not putting a vote in on this choice since I know the outcomes, but the people basing their vote on the things Tryggvi said strike me a little oddly.

Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of arguments both for and against taking Onef along, but I don't really think 'The village madman told me not to trust anyone wearing a helmet!' is a particularly good one.

ninjaiguana fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Jun 13, 2014

ninjaiguana
Aug 1, 2009

Captain Bravo posted:

A Pre-order Excluesive!

Well played, Captain. Well played.

ninjaiguana
Aug 1, 2009

There are a few things you need to understand about Egil;

- Egil's a kid. He's young and he's inexperienced.
- Egil's not a trained soldier. He's never really been in a fight. He has, however, practiced a hell of a lot.
- Egil has absolutely no fear, and a protective streak that's about six miles wide, especially where Alette is involved. This results in Egil getting himself into harm's way at the drop of a hat, without the experience that might get help him actually survive the consequences of his action.

I find Egil an incredibly impressive character - look back at my first two points, and then realise that this kid keeps throwing himself into certain death without hesitation. A lot of the time when he can get dead, it's because the situation has gotten bad, and Egil's the first to react to a threat. Maybe that's because you hosed up and picked a bad option that would let someone else act first (see Egil's first death opportunity, way back when) but the kid keeps being one of the first into the jaws of death. This being a Viking saga, it doesn't tend to work out well for him. But goddamn, the boy has got cast iron balls.

ninjaiguana
Aug 1, 2009

Yeah, it's another great way Banner Saga piles the pressure on. 'So, as you recall, the varl are getting their heads kicked in by dredge, and their race is facing extinction. But wait! That's not all! Also, the world may be loving ENDING! How d'you like your odds now, Mr Player?'

It feels a lot like a proper tragic saga and I love it. You just have no idea what the gently caress to do.

ninjaiguana
Aug 1, 2009

I really like Nid. That extra 2 squares of range makes Puncture really strong for her. Combine her with armour-flensing Rook (yes, I gave him the Worldhook, and then the Farthingjörd - what kind of man doesn't give Rook more armour break?) and you've got a recipe for murder. :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjaiguana
Aug 1, 2009

Yeah, that ending.

So, I played the game through twice, first on Normal and then on Easy, doing things differently. On my Normal playthrough, I had Rook take the shot - I'd kept Alette from killing any humans and was playing him as pretty protective. And I felt like I'd made the right choice. When I replayed it, I couldn't make myself give the arrow to Alette, I had Rook take it again.

Possibly the 'Alette dies' ending is more true to the bleak spirit of things. But if you give the arrow to Rook, I think that works too; it makes it a coming-of-age story, where Alette has to make her own way without the protection of her father in a harsh world. To me it feels like a sort of closure - Rook was the protaganist for Chapter 1, Alette has to step up for Chapter 2.

So it's pretty cool that both options can feel 'right' as endings. But for me, I just couldn't bring myself to have Rook outlive his child.

Also, best track in the game right there.

• Locked thread