Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
I've never seen any of this, despite owning the game! I started playing in Beta, back when it was only battles and a few upgrades, no story mode. The difficulty was phenomenal, I only ever won maybe 2 or 3 rounds against human opponents in the time I played. Never realized they'd released the full game since!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Wow. This is... this is just miles ahead of the Beta. Like night and day.

You mentioned that you would detail what happens when somebody dies in combat, is that going to be in the next update?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Enchanted Hat posted:

I liked the combat a lot, but it helped that I'd been playing quite a bit of Banner Saga: Factions, the free multiplayer client, beforehand.

Wellllll, poo poo. This is what I have, I thought I had Banner Saga but turns out it's just multiplayer, no story mode. Saw this post, went to test it, and after the tutorial fight it kicks me into multiplayer mode with no option to continue the storyline. Looks like I won't get to play along after all. :v:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Actually, I'm thinking if we leave her behind she's hosed. For three big reasons:

Metagamey, but someone already mentioned that the game has a habit of giving you the same choices with different results. We've had the option to leave Alette behind, and she would have been safe. I'm guessing this time if we leave her behind she'll die.

Because the warehouse option is the dangerous option. We're hoping the non-fighters will be safe while the fighters head into the warehouse, I'd bet money the dredge will massacre our civilians while we take the supplies. We don't want to leave her with the civilians.

And, honestly, the best possible place for her to be is with the active party. At least then we've got some control over the events that may or may not be dangerous. If we leave her with someone else, it's completely out of our hands.

So I vote that we raid the warehouse, and take Alette with us.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Side with the brothers, kill the townspeople, steal all their supplies for ourselves.

What? We're FantasyVikings godsdammit, it's high time we started acting like it. :black101:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Bloody Flail is incredible, because it means you never have to boost armor-bashing on your Thrashers. Just leave them at the base, and flail at the enemies whenever they've got high armor. Absolute best-case scenario, you do between 4-6 guaranteed health damage. Worst-case scenario, you do between 4-6 armor damage. Such a fantastic ability.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Guys, we didn't get those warriors so we could solid-snake our way through the mountain. We got them to get the damned job done. No sleep 'til Schlib-lyn.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Life is more than just being alive. What good is being alive when you are dead on the inside, from having no honor!? :black101:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Personally, I would have let Yrsa take the hit, and kept Gunnulf in it. His asinine strength is incredibly useful, despite Slag and Burn's utility, but more importantly if you get in another fight immediately afterwards, Yrsa will still be performing at about full strength even while injured. Gunnulf will be noticeably impacted by an injury.

Also, Yrsa and Ludin go incredibly well together. Both deal small amounts of unavoidable strength damage, and both can cause enemies to take damage through movement. If you can set up a good Yrsa > Ludin > Shield Bash combo, you can neuter almost any enemy in the game with very little effort.

Edit: almost forgot, Divide and Conquer :black101:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

FairGame posted:

I get the feeling that Warhawks are probably best used with one of those items we saw early on, though, where you recover armor on rest. If you're not using Tempest, just rest 'em that turn.

The absolute best use I've found for Warhawks is to concentrate the battlefield. What I mean by that is, you usually have a dredge or two split off from the group, or you'll face archers and poo poo that hover around and plink away like assholes. You stick your Warhawk away from the group, and he will annihilate that poo poo no problem. Aside from large enemies that take up four squares, I don't think there's a single unit in the game that can take a full-strength, full-exertion hit from Gunnulf in the face, and not instantly die. When you're facing 7+ enemies, you've already got the turn advantage, being able to selectively point at one and say "You, you die now" in the very first turn is incredibly useful.

And, best of all, if the enemy is by itself, sending Gunnulf to one-shot it on the first turn actually works out pretty great, since he's then away from all the stuff that wants to neuter him. After the couple of turns needed for him to plod back into position, you should have been able to knock away at the strength of the biggest and baddest enemies, meaning they can't instantly gently caress him up with one hit. Gunnulf is one of my favorite dudes in the game to use, and he's always maxed out before this chapter ends when I'm playing with him.

Edit: One more thing, are spoilers about items ok? I want to mention one of the abilities that certain items can have, but we haven't seen one yet, and if that's not kosher I'll just hang loose until we see one.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Actually, if you splinter a dredge beside an ally, that ally will grunt and perform the "hit" animation, even if they don't lose any armor. So it's definitely affecting them, they're just able to shrug it off better. I would guess it's probably more something based on the armor that the dredge use, since it's brittle enough to shatter off if you hit it hard enough, it probably is also more susceptible to being hit by itself? Or something like that?

Either way, the item quality I was referring to is one that is super rare, but loving incredible. Some items allow you to passively heal armor. There's a few that will grant you armor regeneration on rest, but one or two will just straight-up give you a point or two of armor back every time it's your turn. Once, I had one of those drop during the first War Battle, a level 5 item with +2 armor per turn... right as Gunnulf hit level 5. :getin:

Holy poo poo, Gunnulf was the loving man that game. He would just wade in, gently caress everything up, then take a breather to regain will and armor, before killing everything all over again.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

I think that's an oversimplification. The Gods created the dredge the same way they created Men and created the Varl. So by your logic, men and Varl are just Meat golems infused with life.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

ViggyNash posted:

I'm just confused about calling them organic. Usually you use that to refer to an object made up of cells, but in this case the Dredge are made of stone. I don't know what he means by that, other than to say they are living stones, or golems.

Think of it like this: Organic life here on earth is almost completely carbon-based. Silica makes up a large portion of rocks, and silicon is chemically very similar to carbon. So if carbon-based animals can grow fingernails, exoskeletons, chitin, etc. it's not too big a leap to imagine a silicon-based lifeform that is able to grow a rocky exterior. Or might even have cell walls made up of rocks, similar to some plants, bacteria, and fungi. Heck, Diatoms already have silica-based Cell Walls, maybe the Banner Saga gods used those as the basis to evolve the dredge from?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Not to mention the fact that we are pretty drat badass right now. Look at the updates from the human force, and see how many Varl and Warriors they have. Then imagine them facing one of these groups. Varl are incredibly tough, but they're not invincible, and we're lucky in that we have a pretty gigantic force of varl. If this same Dredge army had hit Rook's hometown, there wouldn't be a chapter 2.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

gently caress that, hit him.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

ProfessorProf posted:

Gunnulf dies if you choose anything other than this.

Not actually true. The key thing for this event is that you cannot save the cart. So you can run up to help Gunnulf try to hold it, but in the end you still have to make him let go.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Also, it's kind of a dick move to tell some dude "Bro, we will find your brother's body, and bring back the necklace." and then root around in corpses until we find some flashy jewelry for ourselves. How could we sleep at night after doing that?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

It kind of was a war battle, it just wasn't your war battle. You're fighting to get inside the dredge and find out who it is. The surrounded Varl are the ones fighting the war battle. They probably elected to pursue the dredge, :v:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Chewbot posted:

edit: Also, the gay character I was talking about earlier? It's Gunnulf. Only partially joking, the varl don't have sex but I always envisioned him being gay, at least in his feelings. SHOCKING.

Is it a bad thing if I kind of guessed this, based on the conversation he had back in Schlid about his new wardrobe? :sparkles:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

There's actually a super important scene that explains all of that! Just be patient.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

bewilderment posted:

The Ridgehorn escape fight is one of the few where a character (both Ludin and Mogr, I think) say the wounded will be left were they fall. For non-important characters (so basically, Hakon and Ludin), is this actually true for the battle?

I think that's basically their way of saying you'll lose a shitton more varl than normal, right? Like, normally in a battle you'll have some wounded, some killed, and you mend the wounded to only lose a fraction of the casualties. Or am I reading that wrong?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Also, there's something you can do earlier (Although you wouldn't want to on purpose) that will mellow Ludin out, and he'll listen to whatever you tell him to do.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Tetrakarn posted:

That Onef guy, he looks shady. Maybe even too shady to be Onef us.

Screw all of you for ignoring this absolute gem. Bravo, Tetrakarn. You have my vote. :golfclap:

Kick Onef to the curb.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Mehuyael posted:

Maybe it's a preorder-exclusive clue.

A Pre-order Excluesive!

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Tetrakarn posted:

He's less helmeted and therefore more trustworthy. If you let Onef be Onef us, then you should let Ekill bEkkilling our enemies

God drat it, Tetrakarn, quit knocking it out of the park. I can't say no, I have to go with this.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

We're just trusting everyone. We're a trusting sort. :unsmith:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Crane Fist posted:

Huh. That explains a lot. So how many opportunities to get him killed have we avoided so far?

I think three? Either way, the worst thing about Egil is that he is ungodly useful as a tank, as in you can leave him alone, surrounded by units, for several turns in a row and he'll be perfectly fine.

This leads to you pouring renown and kills into Egil, and making him a lynchpin of your strategy.

This leads to bullshit, off-screen deaths with no saving throws, and suddenly your entire strategy that's gotten you through 3/4 of the game no longer works. :argh:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

ProfessorProf posted:

The enemy Flame Slinger drops some bombs around us, and I forget to capture the animation for the 50th time in a row. I'll get it eventually.

Flame Slingers are one of my favorite enemy types to face, and a big part of this is how awesome the animation for those bombs is. I hope you get a good shot of it next update, it's really neat!

Also super neat, how incredibly easy it is to turn those bombs against the dregde attacking you. Enemy dredge don't seem to notice when a bomb is tossed on the groud, so if two are close together you can move just out of range and let whatever is attacking you eat 2-4 damage free of charge.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

I actually missed this plot point my first playthrough, and it made a later scene so much better. But it's still incredible that you have this entire race, hundreds, thousands, maybe even hundreds of thousands of Varl, all created directly by a god. That's why you never see any Varl women, there aren't any. So yeah, whoever brought up Valhalla, it's certainly apt as poo poo. Because the Varl are 100% hosed, and it's only a matter of time.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Keldulas posted:

That item plus the fact that Rook can naturally reach 3 break is the reason why I have NEVER found mark prey all that useful.

HAH! No, no, my friend. You're just not using Mark Prey successfully. Harken, to the three tips of victory!

1. Mark Prey makes every ally that is able to perform an attack on an enemy, perform an attack on that enemy.

2. Archers have a giant area in which they can make attacks, and if they have not moved immediately prior to that attack, they get bonus damage with Puncture.

3. Rook's team gets a shitload of archers.

Once you get Rook a few levels, you can basically pick one enemy to die that turn, hands-down, no questions asked. Give the belt to Alette, have her break armor on someone, use Oddleif to pin down enemies to protect your archers, and have Rook use Mark Prey for a multi-arrow instant kill. It works wonderfully on everything but the most armored of enemies, and even then it does a fuckton of damage.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

The key is learning to use the enemy's big units against them. Not only are 4-tile dredge easier to nab with the trap arrow, they also make mighty fine roadblocks when you lure them into the right position and stick them there.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Keldulas posted:

That's one of my points, I find the archers get REALLY useless during human fights, there's no 4 tile units to keep them safe.

Oh! Ohhh, I misunderstood. When you said "human" fights, I thought you meant fighting the dredge with rook's, mostly-human caravan.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Coolguye posted:

I tend to try to set something up so Eynvind can just electrocute the bastard so he doesn't even cast once. Extreme prejudice is TOO TOLERANT.

I have, when necessary, ran someone in to link two groups of dredge for a lightning chain. Sure, they'll take 5-6 armor damage, but holy poo poo when you manage to zap two dredge at the tail end for all of their health and them some, it's really worth it.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Oh you better loving believe we're going to Stand and Fight.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Tenebrais posted:

Blow the bridge. It might earn us some hostility, but the end of the world is coming, and that has a way of putting things in perspective.

Look, the King of the Varl has said in no uncertain terms that he does not want that bridge blown up. If we go out there to try and take it down, we're going to have pissed-off Dredge on one side of us, and pissed-off Varl on the other. Even if we do manage to take down the bridge, all that we're doing is putting a wall to our backs, and thousands of angry varl to our fronts. It'd be suicide.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Hold the line!

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

vdate posted:

There's something wonderful about the image of this little dude throwing down his shield and going IT'S TIME TO SLAM JAM before launching multiple dredge twice his size away from him.

I'm not good enough to do a full track, but maybe someone better than me can finish it. :v:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Ekkil Barkley never backs down from a chance to slam and jam. We fight!

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

vdate posted:

What?! Really? Huh. That seems a little arbitrary, especially considering it's the safe duty. At least in the previous Egil instadeath (back in Skogr) he was in evident danger when the instadeath choice came up.

Hahaha, I had no idea he could die here either. Egil truly is the redshirt of The Banner Saga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Chewbot posted:

OH my gosh, this is just the best.

If Banner Saga 2 doesn't have some hidden unlockable Street Ball mode, I will be disappointed.

• Locked thread