Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Endorph posted:

The writing is really good, though it has problems (typos and awkward writing that make me think maybe it wasn't written by a native english speaker.)

90% of the gameplay is really fun and gets across the setting really well.

The art is gorgeous.

The actual combat is loving horrendous.

Banner Saga was almost a perfect game. :negative:

The combat looks pretty fun to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Chewbot posted:

The biggest problem people had with combat was that we didn't explain it. I don't mean tutorials, I mean we didn't tell the player anything about strategy: turn advantage, maiming vs killing, positioning, smart ability use, etc. We just kind of expected people to figure it out because that's the fun part (or so I thought). We'll be rectifying a lot of complaints we got for the second game, especially lack of diversity, but I'll admit the combat is different on purpose and that's always risky.

Btw, thanks for LPing the game, ProfessorProf!

:swoon:

I hope you can keep providing your own commentary of the LP, because it'll be really neat to see both a player's and developer's perspective of the game at the same time.

Oh, and congrats on being successful enough to make a second game.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I'll bandwagon on the warehouse. I'm guessing there's a fight either way, and maybe going to the warehouse will be a distraction in itself.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
How far away is Frostvellr? If its only a few days, then relax. But if it's longer, and we could end up running short on supplies, then keep a steady pace.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
If the village is gonna die anyway (from the dredge), might as well kill them now and save the people willing to listen. Side with the brothers.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Tend to the wounded so we can maybe make some new friends and connections.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Confront.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Be a thirdfourth party.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I'll go with the safe option as well, discretion.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Wow, Yrsa's personality is as incendiary as her magic.

Also:

ProfessorProf posted:

Ludin doesn't even understand that half his army is here just to protect him from the people he talks to.

I don't know why I love this line so much, but it's a great example of how good the writing in this game is.

Leave behind Ludin, mostly to spite him.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Divide and conquer. (Yes, I know that's not what the phrase means).

Mechanically, I'm guessing it amounts to 2 more difficult fights like the one you just had rather than a potentially devastating text option.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Chewbot posted:

Technically, according to the legends, just as varl were made by a god by combining man and yox, the dredge were formed by merging man with stone. Whether that means they're partially made of rock or they just have an affinity to earth and a talent for using it (like the norse dwarves) is up to you (and maybe future clarification in the sequels).

One theory I've seen that is definitely wrong is that they're robots or clockwork golems. They're definitely organic.

So they are golems, but ones infused with life rather than being mechanical constructs?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I'm just confused about calling them organic. Usually you use that to refer to an object made up of cells, but in this case the Dredge are made of stone. I don't know what he means by that, other than to say they are living stones, or golems.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Oh boy, do you have enough people left to make it through the second round?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I really want to deck him, but I don't know what the consequences would be. Play it safe and walk away.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I wish there were an option for gathering supplies and looking for the brother. Ah well. I say look for the brother.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I assume it'll be a usable item if we do take it? We don't know how good it'll be, and I'd feel better giving it back to the sibling. If it turns out to be game-changingly good, oh well.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
One of my favorite examples of choice in games in Fallout: New Vegas primarily because of how organic it feels. In NV, choice doesn't just amount to a simple a/b/c choose 1 scenario. You get to choose who you talk to, when you talk to them, what you say to them or whether you say anything at all, and even whether you bother talking to a person at all or just ignore or outright kill them. All those things change the state of the story in small ways but all together can cause huge, dynamic shifts in the story's progression. It very much allows you to make the story your own and have it feel like its you're own, despite the overall plot having been decided beforehand.

For me, I think this hits the heart of what choice in games is generally meant to accomplish; it's about following your story, for better or worse, so that you end up saying, and feeling, "I did this. I caused these events. I created this world." This isn't someone else's story, but the story you created and defined around the groundwork someone created for you. It's a pretty poignant and empowering feeling, in my opinion.

My opinion of TWD it is at its best when it uses choice in a somewhat different way. It's a game that, at its core, is trying to tell its own story, but it uses choices to create a sense of intimacy with brutal and fatalistic nature of this new world. Judging by their truckloads of awards, it worked.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

my dad posted:

Provoke him. (3)

The best option.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I'll bandwagon on Shieldbangers. We've got enough dudes to just push things out of the way.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Well, gently caress.

Nothing says "ominous and full of death and destruction" like reddish black smoke rising out of an inferno.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Take everything and leave, tripping Ekkil onto a pile of stakes on the way.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Blue Link posted:

He is willing to betray his boss for personal profit. What guarantees that he will not do the same to us?
Refuse his offer.

His boss is apparently a psychopathic shithead, so that seems perfectly acceptable.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Yeah, we all know what Onef has to say. Don't bother asking. Its a lot like what I have to say anyway.

Ekkil is a crazy fucker. That's a fact. But he's also extremely shrewd and aggressive. I can't imagine this being any more than some sort of plot against either Rook or Onef. How exactly it will play out and whether or not we can handle it, we don't know. Abandoning them lets him potentially set up an ambush, but killing them would lead to either a fight or an unconditional surrender. We can handle a fight, so I say we kill Ekkil.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Oh god, i'd be crying if I didn't stifle my laughter.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Oh dear, that's a harsh vote. What's worse is we already know what's waiting in Grofheim.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

tomanton posted:

The Baller Saga.

Nice touch with the ref choice.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Sylphosaurus posted:

I'm starting to smell a trap, a renown baited one at that but still a trap nonetheless. I think it's time to leave before a plot mandate whammie hits us square in the face.

Thats what I was thinking. Leave.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I'm so sorry for wanting to butcher the guy when he first showed up to join, and so glad we didn't.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Earn it.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Coolguye posted:

I'm going to point something out that the game does a really, really bad job of making clear: The geography of the area with what Ubin told you guys about makes it a pretty safe bet that the dredge you see in the distance are Bellower's boys.

The dredge already feinted once. Who's to say they didn't do it again?

Punch right through them.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Don't shake the baby, you might drop it and leave a crater where your foot was.

Take the baby. We're already in morale hell, what's the worst that could happen?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
We have no idea where to go from here, and not many supplies to take us anywhere, so just Stay until either Juno shows up, or the Bellower shows up.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
It's been well over 10 days since the message, so unless she meant 5 days after we arrived we're kinda screwed.

e: Yep, that was totally a joke I totally believed that.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jul 22, 2014

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Encourage them to stay.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Chewbot posted:

Two controversial scenes. In Sigrholm, Juno just never shows up. I had never played a game before that let you dig yourself in a hole waiting for something that wasn't going to happen, and I was interested to see how long people would wait just because an NPC asks them to. Most people got out when your clansmen threaten to leave (which is obviously the thing to do), but the players who waited it out were frequently annoyed that the game lets them.

There's some hints that Onef is going to betray you aside from the rantings of Tryggvi, but they're not as clear as I would have liked. Reading some of this dialogue back now is kind of *ugh*, there are lots of things I could have done a lot better. There's so much writing content in the game that not only did most of it ship with the first pass, but I was scrambling to finish even that. I really wanted one of the characters to call you out for accepting all kinds of insane bullshit that only gets a pass because it's a video game, and then actually act on it instead of proving that it doesn't matter. This is pretty much the most impactful scene in the game (that we've gotten the most comments about), even if I do agree it comes off a bit unfair. Still, the idea that your party doesn't blindly follow your lead is something I wanted to see in an RPG. I actually pulled back just how devastating this could have been because I didn't want people to rage quit.

(As for Egil, he's supposed to die somewhere, trying to be helpful. That's his story. If not here, than in any of the other ten or so places. In the canon version of the story, that boy is dead).

This event really did come out of nowhere. I don't remember Onef having much to say after we took Ekkil and co. in.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Crane Fist posted:

Tryggvi? Why, he's crazy! We can't listen to him, that would affect our ability to trust strange violent men in helmets! Let's take this obvious maniac along and ignore the very specific advice he gave us about not doing so because he's weird!

:mad:

LightWarden posted:

Such is the price. If we don't recruit Onef, we don't get Ekkil, and if we don't get Ekkil we don't use him in battle, and if we don't use him in battle we don't see his special, and if we don't see his special the world is a bleaker place.

:colbert:

That's all the reason I need to uphold my decision.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Keldulas posted:

Same thing as if you just stay within Frostvellr's walls. Both those decisions are the same outcome.

Oh, that's a little disappointing

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

yokaiy posted:

I was happy enough about it to make a quick doodle of her, so yeah. Well done.

Quick? I wish I had your artistic skills because it'd probably take me twice as long and look like poo poo.

I was convinced that Oddlief had died, and now that I know she's back I feel... entirely indifferent, somehow. I guess I never really cared that much about her to begin with. Storywise, she hadn't ever felt that relevant beyond the Skogr crew introduction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Hedera Helix posted:

Oh come on, having minor party members share artwork with generic backbiters and archers is one thing, but you don't add in a palette-swap of Gunnulf. Unless this is his twin brother? :tinfoil:

efb

As close to the end of the game as it is, I guess the artist just burnt out and took the easy route.

• Locked thread