Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
  • Locked thread
Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub

Makieh

"Hear, hear. But! Let's mind our pace; Crow still needs to hop back down, and the road is full of dangers." Still, she starts after Sif, humming a jaunty tune that suddenly pops into her head unbidden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011


Jeph, the Tanner's Son

Seeing Sif set out, Jeph quickly steps back into the traces on his travois and trudges after her.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Ollain Faebar

The northerner pulls Crow to his feet, and then sets out after the others, wishing he had a pair of skis.

Maarak
May 23, 2007


At some imperceptible point in the middle, you begin exiting the forest. A couple hours later and the Ox stands against the sky.



Maybe it looks more like an ox in the summer. Or from the other side. After all, it was named by people coming from the other direction. Beyond the Ox is a relatively flat meadow with the occasional boulder, and more forest.

Freshly cut trees, remnants of cook fires, campfires, and a least one bonfire dot the rocky outcropping. It's difficult to make out much more from afar.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011


Jeph, the Tanner's Son

"It looks like they were here recently!" Jeph says excitedly as he glances up toward the Ox. "Maybe we can see them from the top." He continues to trudge on, hoping that the slope is gentle enough that his travois doesn't become too much of a burden.

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub

Makieh

"As oxen go... Nah, not really seeing it. Maybe this is one of those weird ones, like when a star falls the night before their birth. I've never seen one, though.

"So, any signs of which way they might've gone? Or how old those spots are? This tracking stuff ain't exactly my forte. But if we can figure out a direction, we gotta make tracks that way, ourselves, to stay ahead of the weather."

Maarak
May 23, 2007


Uh oh.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011


Jeph, the Tanner's Son

Jeph stopps abruptly and crouches down to take a look at what they stumbled across. "Hey, wait! Is that blood? On the snow? Oh, I bet Jeosh and the others managed to bring down a deer or something! They must have enough meat to last for weeks!"

Observation-9: Hunting...the Most Dangerous Game: 3d6 7. Success! What sort of big game did the previous scouting party come across here?
(Translation: How messy was the struggle, and is whatever ambushed them still hiding amongst the rocks ready to devour us?)

TychoBrahesNose fucked around with this message at May 5, 2014 around 07:30

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006



Sif

She is genuinely surprised to see signs of the other groups – she had expected them to be swallowed up by snow or long gone. Her first instinct is to rush up to the campsites but in her haste she almost sets a boot down right in the middle of Jeph’s find. Sif wrinkles her nose in distaste. She’s no stranger to cleaning game but she’s no desire to step in gore either. Throwing back her hood, she stands over the find, “Is that fresh, then?” She’s not sure how blood keeps in the snow.

Sif takes a moment to look up at the sky, then starts to hike further up the hill towards The Ox and takes another look up, eyeing the weather overhead. She motions to Makieh to come with her, “I don’t know, maybe they left something behind where they made camp.

NATURALIST~: 3d6 6Take that, Naturalist - 9 skill. Using it for the ~meteorology~ purpose, can we expect clear skies for a bit still?

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Ollain Faebar

Ollain crouches down, peers at the bloodstain, and then looks around. Seeing a faint trail of drops, he he nocks and arrow and begins to follow it.

Tracking 11, blood trail: 3d6 10

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub

Makieh

"Blood?! How much? What kind? How much, anyway?" She rushes over to scope out the scene. As she draws near, Sif addresses her directly. She glances up just a moment too soon, and her foot slides when it hits a snow-covered rock. "Huh? Oh, sur-eagh!"

Makieh scrambles back to her feet, spitting and brushing and wiping from having faceplanted half in the blood. "Ffft, pfft, motherffff, fffft, pfft," is about the sum of it.

"So sorry. So, so sorry. Um. Damnit. Um, let's... let's go check that camp."

Klutz disad. Also, rolled Naturalist (10) also, but for a different reason (spatter analysis)!: 3d6 10. Wanna see what might yield this much blood in this season/area, if not a human, if there's any vague sense to be had. Also I guess possibly by taste.

Perception (11): peepin' camps: 3d6 11

Aeolius fucked around with this message at May 5, 2014 around 21:14

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.

Crow

Crow immediately turns in all directions seeing the blood, pulling out and nocking an arrow. He tries to sum up the scene, trying to understand what did this and why while keeping a watchful eye. A blood splatter is a great way to get everyone to look at the wrong thing while you sneak up behind them. Crow wants to know, to be, and to breathe whatever the killer did. He even goes on top of the rock to get a better or different vantage point.

Crow passed both his Tracking AND Tactics roll. He not only wants to find out what was happening, but he wants to understand the tactics being used or if there even were any.

Maarak
May 23, 2007


TychoBrahesNose posted:

Jeph, the Tanner's Son

Observation-9: Hunting...the Most Dangerous Game: 3d6 7. Success! What sort of big game did the previous scouting party come across here?
(Translation: How messy was the struggle, and is whatever ambushed them still hiding amongst the rocks ready to devour us?)


A large creature with a wound fell here, stayed on the ground for some time, and was dragged away. Whatever struggle there was happened somewhere else.

Ambivalent posted:

Sif
NATURALIST~: 3d6 6Take that, Naturalist - 9 skill. Using it for the ~meteorology~ purpose, can we expect clear skies for a bit still?

The weather will hold for the day at least. The wind hasn't lost its bite.

Beardless posted:

Ollain Faebar

Ollain crouches down, peers at the bloodstain, and then looks around. Seeing a faint trail of drops, he he nocks and arrow and begins to follow it.

Tracking 11, blood trail: 3d6 10

The blood leads up the rocks and over the Ox's back. More on that in a bit.

Aeolius posted:

Makieh

Klutz disad. Also, rolled Naturalist (10) also, but for a different reason (spatter analysis)!: 3d6 10. Wanna see what might yield this much blood in this season/area, if not a human, if there's any vague sense to be had. Also I guess possibly by taste.

Perception (11): peepin' camps: 3d6 11


A human would fit, but so would a deer or a boar. A small bear maybe?

mugrim posted:

Crow

Crow passed both his Tracking AND Tactics roll. He not only wants to find out what was happening, but he wants to understand the tactics being used or if there even were any.

Crow and Ollain follow the blood trail in two directions. There are some tiny splashes of red down the hill, but they dry up fast. Whatever hit the snow was half frozen by the time it pulled down the hill, blood and all. On top of the Ox, the gruesome situation is clarified.

A field of white, streaked with red lies below. The winds have blown any tracks away, but the blood tells the tale well enough. Someone was pursued, hunted. It fell multiple times, but managed to scramble up the rocks and light a fire.

Makieh finds a relatively fresh campfire near the bloodstain. Near the bonfire remains, tucked into a hollow in the rocks is a cache of firewood. Whoever fled to the Ox knew about the cache, and was in bad enough shape to drop a substantial amount of wood walking it back. Poor soul.

The pursuer patiently waited for the victim to bleed out. Very cold.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011


Jeph, the Tanner's Son

Stepping from the travois, Jeph looks around nervously and hefts his spear before sharing his discovery with the others. "A large creature with a wound fell here, stayed on the ground for some time, and was dragged away. Whatever struggle there was happened somewhere else. What have you discovered?"

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Ollain Faebar

Ollain crouches by the remains of the fire, his face grim. "This bodes ill. Someone was pursued here, by some fir olc, some cladhaire who let them die of the cold. We should be aireach, cautious, lest we die in the snow ourselves."

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub

Makieh

"I don't like this."

She hops down, more tense than before. "If I'm bleeding like that, my first thought isn't 'climb a rock and light a fire'; can't well enjoy one if you're being chased. Either whoever did the attacking backed off, or... maybe the fire itself scared the danger off? A wolf or boar or some such?"

She certainly can't think of anything else that'd fit the latter bill, offhand.

It's not clear how a wolf would have gotten up there to remove the body, though.

Failed Occultism roll.

Maarak
May 23, 2007


[I started writing notes for this game deep into a winter that seemed like it it would never end. Then it ended within days of the game going live and I guess I lost my muse(and free time). Hopefully y'all are still interested.]


"Owooo-oo!"

The wolf howl is joined by a second a few breaths later, much more faint and from the South. Which places the first significantly closer to th-

"Ooo-wooo!"

A response call, maybe closer still?

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011


Jeph, the Tanner's Son

"Those sound really close," Jeph says, nervously glancing around and gripping his spear even tighter.

Jeph's not the one to come up with useful tactics, but if anyone else has suggestions, he's perfectly happy to follow along. And while you're telling him what to do, don't forget to have him drag the travois along to wherever we're making our stand. It would be dumb (i.e., a thing that Jeph might actually do) to settle into a perfectly defensible spot but leave the supplies elsewhere.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006



Sif

Tempered worry tugs at her face but she tamps it down, “We ought to go atop the Ox. Quickly. We can camp there if we have to.” She is not a hunter but it seems sensible – if wolves came for them, make the dogs climb something. Sif looks to Ollain and Crow for objections, or better ideas, then hurriedly drops to her knees and begins to collect kindling from the cache they’d uncovered.

Sif’s plan is to grab what firewood she can carry and plan seek shelter in a safe spot, even if it isn’t a comfy camping spot. Sure, that other person bled out, but we’re not bleeding yet and we could be okay!

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Ollain Faebar

Ollain spins towards the sound, half drawing his bow, and nods at Sif's words. "Jeph, pile some wood on the trava, the rest of you, carry as much as you can. We'll light a fire up on the top of the Ox, make a stand there."

[i]Per 11, spotting wolves: 3d6 10[/url]

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011


Jeph, the Tanner's Son

Jeph does as he is bid, swiftly adding some wood to the top of his supplies and beginning to drag it up the hill. Not looking back, and not particularly caring if some of the wood spills off, Jeph uses the butt of his spear to help propel himself up the slope as rapidly as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub

Makieh

"Yeah, suddenly that ox is looking a lot more inviting. A right noble beast." Makieh scrambles back up the formation ahead of the others, extending a hand over the edge to ease the ascent of supplies and persons alike.

"C'mon, we're picking bedroll spots in order of arrival! Don't be last!"

Oh hey, sorry, I just noticed the update.

  • Locked thread
«2 »