Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Jeph, the Tanner's Son

Jeph spends a great deal of the evening regaling any who would listen (and quite a few who would not) with stories of all those he expects to meet on their travels. He remembers bits and pieces about those few traders who visited his family's shop over the years, and he simply embellishes the details whenever he doesn't know for sure. Easterners were all seven feet tall? Why not? Those from the south wore clothing made entirely of spun silver and gold? For all he knew, that could in fact be true. During the few breaks in his relentless tale-telling, he fills his plate, and his flagon, with whatever is on offer. He tries speaking to the other men who would be journeying with him, but neither Crow nor Ollain are particularly talkative. Once he sees that Sif is about to leave, however, he interrupts his story about the enormously fat traveling merchant who needed his saddle repaired, gathers his courage, and proceeds to the door.

"Um, Sif?" he says. "I made something for you. That is, it was my mother's, and it broke a long time ago, but I fixed it, and added a few bits to it that I hope you like." he holds out a strip of leather with intricate beadwork, adding, "It's for your hair, if you want to wear it. For luck, and all." He waits hopefully, his hand extended with his gift.

pre:
Jeph, The Tanner's Son

Attributes [35]:
ST: 10
DX: 12 [40]
IQ: 10
HT: 10
HP: 10
WI: 9 [-5]
PE: 10
FP: 10

Damage: Th: 1d-2 Sw: 1d
Basic Lift: 20
Basic Speed: 5.5
Basic Move: 5
Dodge: 8

Height: 5'8"
Weight: 145
Size Modifier: - 
Appearance: Attractive
TL: 3
Language: Common (Spoken: Native /Written: Illiterate)

Advantages & Perks [31]:
Ambidexterity [5]
Attractive Appearance [4] (+1 to Reaction rolls)
Charisma +2 [10] (+2 to Reaction rolls, Influence rolls, Public Speaking, etc.)
High Manual Dexterity +2 [10] (+2 to DX for tasks that require a delicate touch -- Leatherworking, Sewing, etc.) 
Honest Face [1]
Signature Gear: Fine Quality Leather Armor [1]

Disadvantages & Quirks [-41]: 
Easy to Read [-10] (Opponents get +4 to discern intentions, and to Quick Contests vs. Fast Talk or similar skills)
Gullibility* [-10] (Self-control roll to see through lies, -3 to Merchant)
Honesty* [-10] (Self-control to break law; must keep word)
Illiteracy [-3]
Sense of Duty (to family -- especially elder brother -- and to the rest of the village) [-5]
Dislikes: Being ignored in social situations (needs to be the center of attention) [-1]
Dislikes: Swimming (worried about drowning) [-1]
Hands smell like tanning chemicals [-1]

(* Self-Control: 12)

Skills [25]:
Camouflage-10 [1] IQ/Easy
Carousing-11 [2] HT/Easy
Diplomacy-8 [1] IQ/Hard
Fast Draw-12 (Knife) [1] DX/Easy
Fast Talk-9 [1] IQ/Average
Leatherworking-14 [4] DX/Easy
Melee Weapon: Knife-13 [2] DX/Easy
Melee Weapon: Spear-12 [2] DX/Average
Merchant-11 (Leather/Fabric) [2] IQ/Average
Observation-9 [1] PER/Average
Packing-9 [1] IQ/Average
Professional Skill: Tanner-10 [2] IQ/Average
Public Speaking-11 (Storytelling) [2] IQ/Average
Sewing/TL-13 [2] DX/Easy
Teamster-9 (Equines) [1] IQ/Average

Equipment ($202 remaining of $1000):
Knife, Large
Spear
Fine Quality Leather Armor (DR3)
Heavy L. Leggings, Heavy L. Sleeves, L. Gloves, Boots (All DR2), L. Cap (DR 1)
Backpack, small
Blanket
Personal Basics
Pouch
Sleeping Fur
Torch x 3
Traveler's Rations x 16
Wineskin, full
Whetstone
Leatherworker's Kit
Tailor's Kit
Tent, 2 man + 6' Pole
Travois

Weight Carried: 91 -- 24 weapons & armor, 67 equipment in travois (x 0.5 on snow) = 57.5 effective weight
Encumbrance: Medium = 0.6 x Basic Move, Dodge -2 (with travois) OR Light = 0.8 x Basic Move, Dodge -1 (weapons & armor only)

Point Cost: Attributes [35] + Advantages [31] + Skills [25] + Disadvantages [-41] = 50

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Jeph, the Tanner's Son

After listening to Makieh, discuss the earlier scouting and rescue parties, Jeph adds some of his own baselessly optimistic thoughts on the matter. "At least, with some more folks away from the village and all, then maybe they won't be as hard-pressed to ensure there's enough to go around.

"Now then, I was just about to continue my story about the traveler who was so heavy he kept breaking his saddle. Had to reinforce the straps three times, I did. He paid us in good coin every time too. I think he was just too embarrassed to make a fuss. But like my paw always said, he said...", and then Jeph is off again, spinning yet another tale from Brandon's Brae, where all the women are strong, all the men are good looking, and all the children are above average.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Jeph, the Tanner's Son

Since he's not much of an outdoorsman himself, Jeph agrees with the plan that the others have come up with. Wishing that they could have continued the party a bit longer, he nevertheless picks up the harness to his travois and sets out with the others. He's glad he packed all those extra provisions, along with the extra large tent -- after all, when they find Jeosh and the others, they might be cold and hungry. So it never hurts to be extra-prepared, especially with a blizzard on the way, like Makieh says.

Jeph had, of course, been to The Ox before, usually trailing along after Jeosh, but up until now he had only looked at the rest of the world beyond. He wonders idly how far Jeosh had gotten, and what they'd find in the meantime between The Ox and wherever his brother was.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Jeph, the Tanner's Son

For a time, Jeph is content to listen to the songs and stories of the others as he trudges along behind them. But eventually, his desire to share his own words, to be more a part of this (admittedly small) social circle reasserts itself. He is just about to launch into a long-winded story about his great-grandpaw and the Great Summer Fire when he suddenly discovers that none of the others are visible to him anymore. "Hello?" he calls out uncertainly. Not receiving an immediate response, he casts about for their tracks, but manages only to find his own. "Hello! Where have you all gone?" he calls out again, much louder this time.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Jeph, the Tanner's Son

Now that he was back with the others, Jeph finally takes the time to stop and take the stone out of his boot, the one that had been hampering him for quite some time now. "You all keep up quite a fast pace. I don't mind pulling all that gear, though -- just make sure you don't lose me again. There was one time that Jeosh took me out into the woods," he waves back toward the village, "and then he went off to hunt some rabbits. I got so turned around, I couldn't find the village, and I ended up being out on my own for almost two days. It's a good thing that was summer -- though it was hot and all, at least I wasn't going to freeze to death! At the end of it though, Jeosh felt bad, and gave me an extra helping of what he caught, so I guess it all worked out in the end.

"I hope we find the others soon. When do you reckon that will be, Crow? Tomorrow? The next day?"

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Jeph, the Tanner's Son

"Oh," Jeph says as he notices Crow's unusual behavior. "Is there something we should be hiding from?" He sets about camouflaging himself as well, but somehow he succeeds only in making the earth tones of his burnished leather clash with the earth tones of nature all around him. Maybe it's the snow, he thinks. Maybe I should try to look white. When that fails as well, he sighs, reassuring himself, at least if the others get lost again they'll be able to find me right quick.

Camouflage: 3d6 15

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Jeph, the Tanner's Son

Seeing Sif set out, Jeph quickly steps back into the traces on his travois and trudges after her.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Jeph, the Tanner's Son

"It looks like they were here recently!" Jeph says excitedly as he glances up toward the Ox. "Maybe we can see them from the top." He continues to trudge on, hoping that the slope is gentle enough that his travois doesn't become too much of a burden.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Jeph, the Tanner's Son

Jeph stopps abruptly and crouches down to take a look at what they stumbled across. "Hey, wait! Is that blood? On the snow? Oh, I bet Jeosh and the others managed to bring down a deer or something! They must have enough meat to last for weeks!"

Observation-9: Hunting...the Most Dangerous Game: 3d6 7. Success! What sort of big game did the previous scouting party come across here?
(Translation: How messy was the struggle, and is whatever ambushed them still hiding amongst the rocks ready to devour us?)

TychoBrahesNose fucked around with this message at 08:30 on May 5, 2014

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Jeph, the Tanner's Son

Stepping from the travois, Jeph looks around nervously and hefts his spear before sharing his discovery with the others. "A large creature with a wound fell here, stayed on the ground for some time, and was dragged away. Whatever struggle there was happened somewhere else. What have you discovered?"

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Jeph, the Tanner's Son

"Those sound really close," Jeph says, nervously glancing around and gripping his spear even tighter.

Jeph's not the one to come up with useful tactics, but if anyone else has suggestions, he's perfectly happy to follow along. And while you're telling him what to do, don't forget to have him drag the travois along to wherever we're making our stand. It would be dumb (i.e., a thing that Jeph might actually do) to settle into a perfectly defensible spot but leave the supplies elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Jeph, the Tanner's Son

Jeph does as he is bid, swiftly adding some wood to the top of his supplies and beginning to drag it up the hill. Not looking back, and not particularly caring if some of the wood spills off, Jeph uses the butt of his spear to help propel himself up the slope as rapidly as possible.

• Locked thread