Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

esquilax posted:

Can someone explain how the Equal Pay bill in the news differs from current law? All the news articles say that it prohibits employers from retaliating against employees when they discuss wages or benefits with each other. However, that seems redundant since the NLRA already prohibits that.
The Paycheck Fairness Act that was recently voted on does a lot of things, but in addition to other things, it also broadens the nonretaliation section of existing law:
http://beta.congress.gov/bill/113th-congress/senate-bill/2199/text

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

esquilax posted:

Well I guessed that, but in what way does it broaden non-retaliation? I have a hard time reading the law itself because it's written in "striking" and "inserting" language. Is it a law of substance or is it a political football? What are we losing by not passing it?
Here's my lay understanding of what it does broadly:
Narrows the employer response to claims of discrimination, by requiring the employer to demonstrate the difference in pay is somehow job related and necessary and further that that defense doesn't work if the employee can demonstrate an alternative pay scale that serves business needs.

Broadens the the Fair Labor Standards Act's nonretaliation clause to apply to wage discussion. I can see why you might think this does nothing, what's happening here is that NLRA makes prohibiting wage discussion an unfair labor practice, but resolving an unfair labor practice involves going through NLRB process. The nonretaliation clause in the FLSA makes retaliation additionally unlawful, and so subject to different penalties.

Increases penalties for violating the FLSA.

Appropriates 15 million to fund various agencies for various programs that encourage training, research, and education about pay disparity. Of note is a grant for programs that train women in negotiation skills. Also it directs certain Secretaries to commission a report about certain of these programs.

• Locked thread