Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

I can show you what endless looks like
I can show you a single infinite thing
I can let you taste the sweet and sour of forever
Unending. Eternal. Inevitable
Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Fall into me. Into my eyes
Look at them. Depths unfathomable
Pain immeasurable
A cruel promise fulfilled
I'll take it as originally written. Time to write an agony post!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis
John Marcus
Ruin: 0/6 Sanity: 2/6

Realizing that he can't run away, he tries to break the grip of the thing that has him. No matter what the cost, he had to break free.

Misread that. Yeah, if I need to roll ruin or sanity to escape, I'll do that. Go ahead and roll, please.

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
we gon' send 'em to Heaven
The Ghost Town - Bryson Springs
John Marcus
Escape(Standard; Cop; Ruin): 3#1d6 5 4 1
Feeling your body being hoisted further away from the ground, you quickly squirm and squeeze your way out of the puppets grasp. You had to be almost 20' from the ground and as you turn through the air in the seconds that it took you to plummet back to earth, you watch the strange marionette disappear into a bizarre swirling darkness that had replaced the sky.

Wispy tendrils of cosmic dust coalesce into a thin shimmering veil that masks an impenetrable darkness. Then for a brief instant, there is an opening that the puppet ascends into; an opening where something terrible lurked. Finally, you crash into the cracked soil smacking your head against a rock as a backdrop of blue and white spills back into your field of vision.

Ruin goes up by 1.
What do you do?

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

John Marcus

"drat," Scrambling on the ground, he could only think of getting away. Barely getting up, he started to run away.

Running away.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable
Dusty

Ruin 1/6 Sanity 2/6
Inventory:
Empty flask
Cannery knife
String
Old spoon & fork
$0.00

Dusty was hurt bad. Leg bleeding. Don't panic.

The man said something about capturing them didn't he? He needed to play for time, play along.

"Ok! I give!" Dusty finishes sinking to the ground and ties his shirt around the wound in his leg. "I'll come quietly." He heaved in deep breaths to try and keep calm. These folk didn't look rightly sane but then again Dusty had almost lost it himself, maybe he could talk to them or escape when their backs were turned.

Ok not totally surrendering, Dusty will play for time as best he can. If an open opportunity for escape presents itself he'll be looking for it.

SevenSocks
Apr 25, 2012

It doesn't need to be funny, because it will probably just piss them off
Henry Dowson
Ruin: 1/6 Sanity: 1/6
19.55 Dollars, Lighter, Strange Doll, 38 Lucky Strikes

"Sonny this'issn't a place for you. The good lord has abandoned this tribal hut. A right heathen construction from the heart of Mali."

Henry holds the paper wrapped doll outstretched in one hand, keeping it aloft, and away, flicking out the lighter in his other hand. It wasn't long before ideas swelled into pictures in his head. The doll burning brightly to ash, no, the entire damned hovel caught ablaze in the dry heat. A simple spark, letting the arid drought do the rest...

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
The Ghost Town - Bryson Springs
John Marcus
Flee: 1d6 5
Sprinting as fast as you can away from the scene you flee the bizarre family and the strange creature. The Ghost Town grows smaller behind you as your feet carry you across the grounds til you can run no longer.

You find yourself back in the Hooverville where black smoke rises from a smoldering hut nearby.

Dusty
Feign Surrender; Flee: 2#1d6 2 1 1d6 4
You drop to the ground to tend to your wounds feigning surrender, but it does little to deter the malicious family.

One of the older boys finds a rail-spike hammer lying against one of the abandoned shacks and drags it along the ground towards you. As he gets in range of you, he quickly hefts it into the air and nearly lands a savage strike against you.

You roll and tumble haphazardly back to your feet and take off with the first opening you can find. The children pursue you for sometime, but eventually they turn back towards the Ghost Town.

Your leg continues to bleed from where the child cut across it. You would probably need stitches.

When you arrive back at the Hooverville, you see John having just arrived himself and a hovel burns sending clouds of black smoke into the sky.

The Kelly's - The Hooverville
Henry Dowson
You convince the boy to leave the hut as you take out your lighter and set the place ablaze. Dolls, personal effects, the entirety of the dirty hovel would be erased from the face of earth, left only as a smoldering pile of ash.

"Wh-what is Mali?" the boy asks as you two look at the pyre billowing up blackened clouds of smoke.

It doesn't take long for your fire to catch the attention of the locals and before long other members of the Hooverville are staring alongside you with little real concern.

'Good riddance' you hear uttered underneath someones breath.

'What happened?' another voice sounds.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

John Marcus

He dropped his hands to his knees and bent over trying to catch his breath from the running. His heart continued to pound in his chest. He escaped whatever it was back there, but it didn't mean the situation was over. Marcus looked up and saw the smoke. He wanted nothing more then to leave, but he couldn't neglect the duties his job gave him. He went over to where the fire was to see what he could do to help out.

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
The Hooverville
John Marcus
You approach the burning hovel and find Henry Dowson standing outside of it. Lighter still clasped firmly in his hand.

No one seems to be in great surprise however. Some people even seem relieved.

Henry Dowson
"Uh, Mister... I think the cops have come for you." the child says tugging at your shirt and gesturing towards Officer John Marcus.

Trailing just behind him was Dusty, the vagrant.

SevenSocks
Apr 25, 2012

The funny thing is I didn't intend to actually do that, more just a thought, but the mix of poor phrasing and the fact that this is exactly the kind of questionably sane action that goes on in these settings means I'll definitely run with it. Only a few minor changes that I'll specify in bolding.

Henry Dowson
19.55 Dollars, Lighter, Strange Doll, 37 Lucky Strikes

Immediately after lighting

"Mali?... It'sa dry an cracked savannah in'ah middle of French Sudan... Should go home sonny. No place for you."

Henry's words came to him slow as he fully took in what he'd just done. Things moved so slowly at the time, now they were all crashing together. Holding the doll, staring down the ghastly accommodations, lighting the paper... the growing crackle of flames as they spread from end to end in the dusty tent, and a cleansing orange glow washing over the soil. Any feelings of guilt never truly came to him, but the realization was enough to make Henry fling the pilfered lighter out into the dry trees and brush.

Crowd arrival

Still standing there, as guilty as any could see, Henry added to the growing commotion, speaking and lighting a cigarette from the blaze.

"Must've been the dry and grass. Maybe a cooking pot left too hot."

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable
Dusty

Ruin 1/6 Sanity 2/6
Inventory:
Empty flask
Cannery knife
String
Old spoon & fork
$0.00

"John! You made it out safe! Thank heaven." Dusty gasped as he tried to catch his breath. "I..think..I need a doctor." Dusty tried as best he could to hold his shirt over the wound, trying not to make it worse. "They're crazy, all of them. Crazy."

Trying to at least make the wound less worse, needing that doctor.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

John Marcus

Marcus looked at the burning building and then at Henry. And at the lighter in Henry's hand. At the moment Marcus didn't want to start making accusations, but this situation looked extremely suspicious. One way or another Henry was involved. Now it was a matter of figuring out how he was involved.

"Mister," Marcus says to Henry, "I've got some questions for you to answer. I'm hoping, you'll answer them truthfully. If you want to do it somewhere a little more private, that'll do."

SevenSocks
Apr 25, 2012

Henry Dowson

Henry pulls a long breath through the burning end of his cigarette, turning his back to the orange glow.

"No need officer. Ask away."

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable
Dusty

Ruin 1/6 Sanity 2/6
Inventory:
Empty flask
Cannery knife
String
Old spoon & fork
$0.00

"DOCTOR! HELLO? I NEED A DOCTOR!" Dusty tied to keep himself from bleeding out and put more pressure on his makeshift bandage as the other two ignored him bleeding to death right next to them.

If they ignore Dusty he's going to abandon the group and seek help.

SevenSocks
Apr 25, 2012

Henry Dowson

As he turns, Henry is visibly shaken, eyes wide, but a certain relaxed calmness even on his shivering features, pulling another draw before angling the smoke towards the bloody and bleeding man.

"Officer... your friend is three steps from th'lord's graces..."

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
The Hooverville
Henry Dowson
Eerie track, never heard of that game.
The boy tilts his head up to give you an expressionless look, but then without much fuss, he fades into the growing crowd and is gone.

"Ain't that wild? Probably was the heat and I wouldn't put it past those loons to leave a cooking pot on. A weird bunch that group is..." says a bystander in response to your comments when Officer Marcus approaches with question.

Dusty
A bushy-bearded man appears. "Calm down mister. You're going to make it worse with all that fidgeting your doing. Lemme' see it." the man tells you, gesturing for you to sit on a nearby truck hood.

"Ain't no doctors in town. Got to head west towards the city for anything major, but this is just a scratch; albeit a nasty one." He says tugging at the tip of his beard before getting some fishing line, needle and a dingy looking bottle of alcohol.

"Now sit nice and still." he says pulling away the fabric. "Now don't go taking no offense, but when's the last time you had a shower?"

He takes a swig of the alcohol before rinsing the wound. A fire shoots through your leg, but washes away as the liquid runs along your calf to drip into a pool on the ground beneath you.

The sting of the needle weaving in and out of your leg pales in comparison to the knife that was dragged through it and in minutes you're stitched up.

"Be careful on that leg, but you should be good to go." he says clapping you on the back, passing you the bottle. "Eh?"

John Marcus
Henry agrees to your questions, pointing out the injured Dusty. Not long after, Dusty is accompanied by a bushy-bearded man to a nearby truck to be stitched up, the flames from the hovel still licking at the sky in the background.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable
Dusty

Ruin 1/6 Sanity 2/6
Inventory:
Empty flask
Cannery knife
String
Old spoon & fork
$0.00

"Bathed? Too long I recon. I was going to clean up before this whole mess even started." He hissed as the "Hooverville doctor" stitched him up. The bearded fellow was a nice sort Dusty concluded as he was passed the bottle. Dusty took a swig of the offered bottle and passed it back. "I'm Dusty, you're a good fellow Mr.-?"

Dusty is making the bearded man's acquaintance, the current troubles forgotten momentarily.

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
The Hooverville
Dusty
"Mr. Pritchett, but you can call me Tommy. S'what my family an' everyone else around here calls me." he tells you, stroking his beard. "I don't blame you not bathin' after what happened at the bathhouse. A downright nightmare... Curiosity got the better of me an' I went lookin' that night after the police left. Goodnight Nancy! Talk about a crime scene huh?" he says trailing off, his face turned in disgust at the memory.

"So Dusty, want to tell me how you got that cut? I ain't a surgeon or anything like that, but it looks like you got attacked. That'd be the case?"

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable
Dusty

Ruin 1/6 Sanity 2/6
Inventory:
Empty flask
Cannery knife
String
Old spoon & fork
$0.00

Dusty looked at Tommy for a long moment. Then decided a little truth wouldn't hurt. "Well, we ran into a small bit of trouble when poking around the ghost town. Seems like it isn't so abandoned I recon. We were chased off by a man and his family. One of his teenaged boys got me in the leg with something sharp." Dusty took another turn with the bottle then handed it back. "Strange people out here Tommy. You see anything weird like them?"

Not telling everything because that would be CRAZY. Or at least make Dusty look that way.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

John Marcus

"Dammit." He says seeing Dusty's injury. "Questions later, now we better make sure Dusty doesn't need to get measured for a casket. Marcus goes over and helps as much as he can with Dusty and his injury.

"Strange indeed," Marcus says in response to Dusty, he then looks at Tommy to see what he says about the people in the ghost town.

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
The Hooverville
Dusty, John Marcus & Henry Dowson
"Y'know, I ain't been in town too long to be honest and I'm inclined to agree with you. Seen some mighty weird things since I came in. How about you fellas', You from around these parts? Me, I'm here on a job."

"I haven't really been out to the ghost town, but I think I did catch wind of that family you mentioned, and someone else... a young Asian girl headed towards that town not long ago."

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

John Marcus

"Mighty weird things? Could you talk a little more about what you mean? We saw some weird things too, so don't worry about what we think. We're not gonna call you a kook or anything."

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
The Hooverville
John Marcus
"Well outside of that bathhouse there were only two other incidents that just seemed downright peculiar. These men just vanished. He was in some kind of argument or something, pushing and shoving with another guy. I figure them for drunks and carry on about my business, but then I hear a scream and they're both gone."

"The other thing was a shallow graveyard... When I went to report what I saw or rather didn't see about the vanishing men to that bullheaded fool Buford Kraft. Out behind the station was a plot of recently dredged up earth. Curious at something peaking through the dirt, I kicked away the soil until a mangled up corpse was staring me in the face. I covered it back up and left."

"You wouldn't happen to know anything about that would you Officer?"

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

John Marcus

Marcus didn't believe what the guy was saying. At least the second part. The first part sounded vaguely similar to one other incident, but a body buried behind the station? That couldn't be real. This man was lying or didn't know what he found. Marcus decided it was the later.

"You sure it was a body? Maybe it was some road kill or something?"

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable
Dusty

Ruin 1/6 Sanity 2/6
Inventory:
Empty flask
Cannery knife
String
Old spoon & fork
$0.00

Shallow graves...Now this was unsettling. "By golly, what is wrong with this town?" Dusty exclaimed.

Uh oh! Things are jacked in this sleepy place.

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
The Hooverville
John Marcus, Dusty & Henry Dowson
"I'm positive, Officer. It was a dead body." the man says staring John in the eye as he stroked his beard.

Then he slaps his knee and hops down from the hood he had guided Dusty too. "Who knows could be coincidence, could be related to that mess at the bathhouse. Still, there's a lot happening here that I'm just not sure about."

The fire continues to burn into the sky, drawing nearby citizens from the town to the hut. There was no sign of the family that attacked Dusty. It also seems to have drawn Buford Kraft out of his hiding spot.

He marches towards your group with all the rage in the world etched into his fat, beet red face.

"WHAT IN THE HELL IS GOING ON HERE!?" He shouts, huffing and snorting at you all in the process.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

John Marcus

"Officer Kraft, I was just in the process of determining what was going on here, what started the fire and who is at fault for this mess. There's no need to get angry sir, I'll make sure this mess is cleared up.

Can I roll something to calm Kraft down?

SevenSocks
Apr 25, 2012

Henry Dowson

Henry carries the calmed tone as he spoke up in turn, though his own state was more an affliction of circumstances than a willed expression.

"Aye to it... The good policeman here was only securin' the civilian's safety before questionin'. Whenever y'ready, officer."

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
The Hooverville
John Marcus
Standard; Cop: 2#1d6 5 6

Kraft slows his breathing and loosens up his clenched teeth. He puts his hands on his hips and leans back a bit causing his gut to rise and fall with each breath.

"Alright. Alright... Well, just what is going on then?" he says calmed down, realizing that maybe his approach had been premature.

Henry Dowson
Officer Marcus manages to calm down the belligerent authority figure, but it doesn't stop Kraft from shooting you a glare filled with ill-intent.

He waddles towards you and firmly plants one of his fat fingers on your chest. "What are you doing here?" he asks you, but before you have time to respond he follows up with an observation and a rhetorical question. "You always seem to be where the trouble is. Any reason for that?" he says before turning his eyes to the burning hut.

At this point, the hovel was mainly just an ashen pile of fabric, steel and lumber and the gathered group had started to dissipate back to their daily toiling.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable
Dusty

Ruin 1/6 Sanity 2/6
Inventory:
Empty flask
Cannery knife
String
Old spoon & fork
$0.00

"I don't think any of us want this kind of trouble!" Dusty said exasperatingly. "I and officer Marcus almost got killed by a loony and his teenage sons and his wife and even the kiddos were trying to get a hit in!" Dusty breathed out a long breath. "Besides, tents burn down in hoovervilles, too many people cookin' or smokin' in them and falling asleep. This place has real problems like the devil who killed that chinaman fella and the crazy man and his insane family!"

Dusty seemed to deflate after that, realizing he'd called attention to himself. That was bad. "Just...sayin. Is all..." He finished lamely.

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
The Hooverville
Dusty
Kraft turns to you with a scowl on his face and begins to say something but stops as your reason breaks through to him. His brow furrowed, he grunts some and shuffles away from you turning towards Officer John Marcus.

John Marcus
"Can you tell me exactly what it is you're doing with these kooks?" he then looks back at Dusty and sighs. "Is it true what that whacky twit bum says, did you get attacked by a family?" he asks before chuckling and slapping you on the arm. "You haven't seen the Devil have ya' Marcus?"

Kraft laughs heavily at himself briefly before becoming serious once again.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable
Dusty

Ruin 1/6 Sanity 2/6
Inventory:
Empty flask
Cannery knife
String
Old spoon & fork
$0.00

At the mention of the devil Dusty goes quiet. Dead quiet.

SevenSocks
Apr 25, 2012

Henry Dowson

Henry smiles, the sheriff's ignorant antics almost calmingly amusing in light of everyone's shaken tone, blowing a cloud from his cigarette.

"Trouble has a way ah' trailing me, officer... but it's seeming more an' more like your town has it's own demons to be dealin' with."

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

John Marcus

"Saw a fire went to check it out. I assume that's why you're here too right? You saw the fire and then you decided to find out what happened. Didn't get here until after the fire was going and when you showed up I was trying to figure out what was going on here. I find that trouble isn't following me as much as I'm following it. Maybe if I knew what was happening around here, I could be someplace before trouble started to show up. So far that hasn't been the case. As for getting attacked by a family, I don't know what happened there. It was out in the abandoned town area. The people were acting a bit weird, I guess I spooked them or something. Figured it was best to leave them alone. Some people just ain't right in the head, they seemed like that. I find its best to leave those folks be unless something needs to be done about them." He pauses for a moment to catch his breath.

"Trying to keep these two out of trouble too. Not only that, but I'm trying to get them to calm down and talk some sense. I think that murder troubled them a bit and now they got some queer notions stuck in their heads. I'll take care of them officer, make sure they don't cause any trouble."

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
The Hooverville
Henry Dowson
"Is that right?" Kraft asks in an unconvinced and sarcastic tone.

John Marcus
Your matter-of-fact tirade manages to bring Kraft to his senses and he stops with his accusations and interruptions.

"Well, uh, I didn't mean to impede or... you know... over step my boundaries, so I'll leave you to it officer..." Kraft says, clearing his throat to still instill his position of authority, at least for the sake of his ego. "...but I'll be expecting a full report on this, the attack and anything you've been working on at some point this week. H.Q. is going to want to know what's going on and I refuse to look the fool."

Group
With the exception of John having been preoccupied with Kraft, you all notice Tommy has been taking notes on small scraps of paper and stuffing them into his clothes.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

John Marcus

"Sir, I will do my best to report everything in a manner that will only do the service proud. I'll make sure the report rightly acknowledges the facts in this case to maintain the high expectations of the state police. I will not allow you nor I to sound foolish in the report." Marcus then looks to the other two men who have been involved in the ongoing situation.

"I will also make sure these two yahoos cause no more problems and have them stop talk nonsense. And if they persist in their actions, I'll find them space in the local jail to help them correct their foolish behavior."

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
The Hooverville
John Marcus
Kraft looks surprised, but amused by your response. Practically giddy.

"Well, then, I guess I should let you get back to it then." he says pulling up his pants from his belt strap. He steps away from you nodding his head, eying Dusty and Henry Dowson all the while.

"Good job, Officer Marcus." Kraft says as he waddles his way back to the wagon, proud of himself for whatever reason.

"He sure is a quirky fella', huh?" Tommy asks, picking at his teeth with a splint of wood.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable
Dusty

Ruin 1/6 Sanity 2/6
Inventory:
Empty flask
Cannery knife
String
Old spoon & fork
$0.00

In his quiet, Dusty noted that a boy was writing things. Perhaps about them?! After getting stabbed by the other kid, Dusty wisely waited until Officer Kraft left before calling attention to it.

"Hey! Kid! What are you doing?" He motioned to Henry and Officer Marcus. "I think he's writing down what we say."

:siren: whooop whooop alarm alarm

SevenSocks
Apr 25, 2012

Henry Dowson

"And was there anything in that mess ah grovelin' worth writing down? I may'ave missed it."

Henry was still a partly shaken, ever confused mess of apprehension from his own days events, though it shown through more in misdirected arrogance than anything else.

"This whole town seems a wreck o' troubles. Wasn't even close'ta this much trouble in Carson City."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

John Marcus

"Kid, you better start talking because I'm not in the mood for anything else."

• Locked thread