Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
So TUF already started and no one made a thread. Maybe because it seems like 3 TUFs are constantly airing in between wednesday afternoon UFC cards. Anyways, your coaches for this season are.

The new* and motivated* - BJ Penn

And the people's champ. A fighter so nice he was robbed by Bendo twice - Frankie Edgar

I think BJ is a volleyball headed turd, but he's a legend and along with holding belts (in two weight classes) Penn has put on some of the most exciting fights in the Octagon. Frankie is chill, also exciting and like Penn is a legend in the making. Frankie was a former dominant lightweight champion (while only cutting two pounds) until thieving Ben Henderson literally robbed Frankie of the belt twice. This will be Frankie and BJ's third bout with the previous two being won by Frankie (He'll win the third too). Despite BJ being a bit of a hothead and losing to Frankie, the two seem to respect each other and have gotten along very well in the first episode. The conversations between Penn Dana and Edgar in the first episode alone make it worth tracking down. This is a LHW and MW season.

Moving on, since the first episode is already over, the teams have been picked and they look like this.

Team Edgar
Corey Anderson (205)
Patrick Walsh (205)
Matt Van Buren (205)
Todd Monaghan (205)
Dhiego Lima (185)
Ian Stephens (185)
Eddie Gordon (185)
Hector Urbina (185)

Team Penn
Anton Berzin (205)
Josh Clark (205)
Dan Spohn (205)
Chris Fields (205)
Mike King (185)
Tim Williams (185)
Cathal Pendred (185)
Roger Zapata (185)

Things that happened
-A literal furry got eliminated in one of the fights to get into the house
-Two Irish fighters slid into the house on sheer luck. One because his opponent didn't show up or was injured or something and the other because he was getting the poo poo beat out of him until his opponent blew out his knee. They then zoomed in on Connor Mcgregor's smug face as he said "luck-o-dee Irish"
-The opening fights were almost all really good which is promising and I can't remember the last TUF where I thought that
-Mike King and Nordine Taleb put on the fight of the season already and it was better than everything on the Bisping Kennedy card barring Poirier dropping Corrasani. Shame Nordine isn't in the house
-Frankie and BJ don't have beef

Why you should watch
-The fights might be ok this season
-Mark Coleman

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Apr 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

I was just wondering why there wasn't a thread for this up and then had the same feeling that there were too many TUF's going on. I'm in the middle of watching the opening fights and there have been some really good ones so far.

Also hilarious that the Bellator champion didn't get in.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009
You left the whole shorts cutting thing out of Things That Happened which was up there with Ants In the Pants the polar bear otherkin as funniest thing in the episode.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

quote:

-The opening fights were almost all really good which is promising and I can't remember the last TUF where I thought that

The Bisping/Miller season with all lower weightclasses had a ton of great fights to get into the house. That's the season where Dodson, Bermudez, Diego Brandao and TJ Dillashaw came from.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Sprecherscrow posted:

You left the whole shorts cutting thing out of Things That Happened which was up there with Ants In the Pants the polar bear otherkin as funniest thing in the episode.

Ha true, but now that you mentioned it I guess people will know. There never was a answer to why the shorts got cut so it slipped my head. Also yea a former Bellator champ didn't make it into the house and Dana poo poo talked Bellator on air. It was good.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
can you fine folks please alert me when Mark "The Hammer" Coleman appears in an episode so i don't have to watch the other parts. thank you.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Seltzer posted:

Ha true, but now that you mentioned it I guess people will know. There never was a answer to why the shorts got cut so it slipped my head. Also yea a former Bellator champ didn't make it into the house and Dana poo poo talked Bellator on air. It was good.

Frankie asked one of his coaches about it and one of the fighters insisted it was good luck and did it to everyone's shorts. We never find out who though.

Bumpy Johnson
Oct 9, 2012

Sprecherscrow posted:

Frankie asked one of his coaches about it and one of the fighters insisted it was good luck and did it to everyone's shorts. We never find out who though.

Everyone except the guy who blew his knee out. :tinfoil:

Bumpy Johnson fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Apr 17, 2014

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

The Bisping/Miller season with all lower weightclasses had a ton of great fights to get into the house. That's the season where Dodson, Bermudez, Diego Brandao and TJ Dillashaw came from.
That's why I'm looking forward to the Pettis/Melendez TUF, bringing in a whole new weight class of women has hopefully found some real talent.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Seltzer posted:

A literal furry got eliminated in one of the fights to get into the house

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Triticum Guzzler posted:

can you fine folks please alert me when Mark "The Hammer" Coleman appears in an episode so i don't have to watch the other parts. thank you.

Agreed. On all counts.

TerryCheesecake
Aug 2, 2003
-
The guy who'd failed to get in to the house before landing a punch and celebrating but the fight continuing and him ending up being arm-barred was pretty funny.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

TerryCheesecake posted:

The guy who'd failed to get in to the house before landing a punch and celebrating but the fight continuing and him ending up being arm-barred was pretty funny.

Also a good reminder that no matter how cool walkaway KOs look, the best move for your career is to keep throwing punches until your opponent can't remember the faces of their parents.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

fatherdog posted:

Also a good reminder that no matter how cool walkaway KOs look, the best move for your career is to keep throwing punches until your opponent can't remember the faces of their parents.

It's hard to do that against a man of God who has Jesus on his side (and no custody of his kids).

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

If there isn't a new "Take 'im down, Andeeee" interspersed with BJ taking the piss out of the new Andy, there's really no point in him even being there.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I guess Anton is kind of a friend and I would like to see him do well but I'm also not really that invested.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Even though Lyman Good didn't get in, 3 dudes who got booted from Bellator for being lovely did get in.

Matt "The Gutter" Van Buren (205) 2-2 in Bellator
Josh "The Hillbilly Heartthrob" Clark (205) - 0-1 Bellator
Dan "Dragon" Spohn (205) - 1-3 Bellator

Cathal Pendred's last fight was a win over Che Mills, so there's a chance he's not complete poo poo. The Gutter isn't even the worst nickname this season, that honor goes to Tim "The South Jersey Strangler" Williams. The only other mildly interesting thing is Hector "El Toro" Urbina has losses against Mayhem and Tim Kennedy.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Ariza posted:

The Gutter isn't even the worst nickname this season, that honor goes to Tim "The South Jersey Strangler" Williams.

Actually that nickname is really good

naphta
Sep 18, 2008
Matt came from my gym in Virginia Beach and I have had the chance to train with him quite a few times (he was actually in town and we rolled on tuesday). He is a genuinely nice guy and a real southern boy.

As for his nickname, it was never "The Gutter", just "Gutter". Hopefully he will break out the "Guttertine".

Max Awfuls
Sep 10, 2011

Ariza posted:

Even though Lyman Good didn't get in, 3 dudes who got booted from Bellator for being lovely did get in.

Matt "The Gutter" Van Buren (205) 2-2 in Bellator
Josh "The Hillbilly Heartthrob" Clark (205) - 0-1 Bellator
Dan "Dragon" Spohn (205) - 1-3 Bellator

Cathal Pendred's last fight was a win over Che Mills, so there's a chance he's not complete poo poo. The Gutter isn't even the worst nickname this season, that honor goes to Tim "The South Jersey Strangler" Williams. The only other mildly interesting thing is Hector "El Toro" Urbina has losses against Mayhem and Tim Kennedy.

They probably threw the best wrestler they had there at Lyman so Dana could go "Bellator, LOL, amirite?", which is kind of unnecessary because Bellator does a good enough job of looking stupid by itself without having to drag their former fighters into it.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Max Awfuls posted:

They probably threw the best wrestler they had there at Lyman so Dana could go "Bellator, LOL, amirite?", which is kind of unnecessary because Bellator does a good enough job of looking stupid by itself without having to drag their former fighters into it.

It's debatable if he was the best wrestler or not, but he was 4-0 so it's not like they were throwing a monster at him.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

It's debatable if he was the best wrestler or not, but he was 4-0 so it's not like they were throwing a monster at him.

Yeah, Good is 18-3 and has been fighting professionally for nearly 10 years, on paper this was a hugely lopsided in his favor.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Thats all part of the plan

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
The dude who beat Lyman Good wrestled a goon whose username I don't remember on XFC like three years ago.

e: We all cheered when said goon got rubber guard and then lost 30-27.

Foul Fowl fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Apr 18, 2014

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I guess this is the TUF I want to be watching just now. I stopped at TUF4 when trying to watch through from the start and haven't watched anything since

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Foul Fowl posted:

The dude who beat Lyman Good wrestled a goon whose username I don't remember on XFC like three years ago.

e: We all cheered when said goon got rubber guard and then lost 30-27.

Somethingsomething Flash was his username, iirc.

Have you ever thought about doing the Philly/Jersey TUF tryouts, FDog? I think they show up at the Migliarese school every so often. Anton is one of Ricardo's dudes I think.

Maybe I'll stop being a baby and try someday.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

omg chael crash posted:

Somethingsomething Flash was his username, iirc.

Have you ever thought about doing the Philly/Jersey TUF tryouts, FDog? I think they show up at the Migliarese school every so often. Anton is one of Ricardo's dudes I think.

Maybe I'll stop being a baby and try someday.

fatherdog posted:

I don't think they're accepting 0-1 amateur fighters anymore, even if I were interested in spending six weeks of accrued vacation time on being in a frat house for people with father issues at this point in my life. I should go watch the next ones, though.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Yeah, fair enough. Don't think I would want to sit out of a semester of grad school either. I did get to hang around a year or two ago and watch. Bellator tryouts as well.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

fatherdog posted:

Yeah, Good is 18-3 and has been fighting professionally for nearly 10 years, on paper this was a hugely lopsided in his favor.

I was genuinely shocked when he got wrestlefucked out of TUF. Are any of his Bellator wins any good? The only two guys I recognize from his record are Rick Hawn and Askren, both of whom beat him. He won the inaugural Bellator WW belt, which could mean absolutely jack poo poo because he immediately lost it to Askren.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
Stephens was the first picked, wasn't he? He must have looked pretty good in the cut footage.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

vainman posted:

Stephens was the first picked, wasn't he? He must have looked pretty good in the cut footage.

Unfortunately, I don't think Stephens can ever look good.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Walsh and Berzin looked the sharpest in my untrained eye

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Ariza posted:

I was genuinely shocked when he got wrestlefucked out of TUF. Are any of his Bellator wins any good? The only two guys I recognize from his record are Rick Hawn and Askren, both of whom beat him. He won the inaugural Bellator WW belt, which could mean absolutely jack poo poo because he immediately lost it to Askren.

Good won back when Bellator was on ESPN Deportes with a welterweight division featuring absolutely nobody you've ever heard of, which is why I picked Askren to take his belt the instant they announced he was signed.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

omg chael crash posted:

Yeah, fair enough. Don't think I would want to sit out of a semester of grad school either. I did get to hang around a year or two ago and watch. Bellator tryouts as well.

Next time they do the tryouts, we should try and get NJ/Philly psp goons to get together and spectate, I remember the footage of the last NYC tryouts being entertaining.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

fatherdog posted:

Next time they do the tryouts, we should try and get NJ/Philly psp goons to get together and spectate, I remember the footage of the last NYC tryouts being entertaining.

I'm in NYC but I'd be up for that.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Who would be the likeliest goon to get on the show? We need an inside man.

Or woman. (LobsterMobster, learn to fight and get on a show please.)

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Captain Log posted:

Who would be the likeliest goon to get on the show? We need an inside man.

Or woman. (LobsterMobster, learn to fight and get on a show please.)

mobn

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
I have the back problems of Dan Henderson once shook Dan Severn's hand so I think I'm pretty much ready to go.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

I have a 1 - 2 record and a purple belt but I did wrestle in highschool for 2 years. Am I ready, coach?

Fdog as my grappling couch, Gregor my Thai couch, Atom as my PR guy, and Twitter man as my groupie. Put me in

omg chael crash fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Apr 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I found it odd that the pre fight interviews made it a point to mention two guys were getting a second chance to get in the TUF house, but made no mention of Nordine Taleb actually being on the just finished TUF Nations: Canada v Australia. He lost to that dumb Aussie with the racist instagram post. Poor guy, he was in two awesome fights that could have gone either way. Also that [inverted?] kneebar bent his knee in a gruesome way. That was more cringworthy than Andersons leg kick.

This episode was better than the whole season of TUF Nations.

tesilential fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Apr 19, 2014

• Locked thread