Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG

Miltank posted:

Was the officer who arrested Rosa Parks a bad person?

Did he do anything other than arrest her? It's hard to look at a 1955 arrest with 2014 morals. Obviously what he did was wrong, when looked at through the lens of history, but it would be impossible to say if he was a bad person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG

mds2 posted:

Asked this in the other thread but it went unanswered:

Have you ever been witness to one of your fellow officers violating someone's rights? How did you respond?

I don't know if this is exactly a civil rights violation, but it is something that happens in small towns that annoys that gently caress out of me. We get all sorts of nosy people that wilil call in suspicious(brown) people or cars doing suspicious things and so I feel like if I go out there and talk to the person just cause they are walking while brown in the rural midwest i'm violating their rights, but if I don't the person who calls is always, always watching and then they complain about us and write letters to the local newspaper. They never understand when you try to explain it to them why a person walking isn't suspicious. White people are the worst.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG

Ethan_Alan posted:

Don't act like taking things from lockup is uncommon. Do you just sign a form saying you went in there, or do you sign for any evidence taken out as well? I wouldn't be surprised that if someone wanted to they would have a lot of leeway in taking things.

And I know shootings are rare, I'm just curious how many goons have been involved in them.

does shooting deer who got hit by a car count? Also for like 99.5% of us a fellow coworker violating someones rights isn't going to be some insidious thing where they smile at you evilly and then plant a bag of crack on a black person, it is usually something the court ends up deciding like oh you didn't have enough PC to stop that car.

Branis fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Apr 18, 2014

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG

drilldo squirt posted:

Hey can you guys tell me why you can't just get a bunch of good cops together go to the union and get them to fire a bad one? You guys never answered me.

because the union isn't going to go to the management to fire a guy who presumably has no disciplinary record and only has the word of other people to fire him from his job.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
because there is a difference between a guy whos an rear end in a top hat and a guy who is a bad cop, an actual bad cop usually doesn't last long before they end up getting caught doing something horrible, an rear end in a top hat is the one who eventually flips out and beats up a minority on camera.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
I think an rear end in a top hat cop has the propensity to be good and to be bad. Theres a guy I work with who is a huge dick and sometimes treats people poorly when he is grumpy which is about 70% of the time, but he also is seriously the best cop when it comes to dealing with child victims, he is calm and compassionate and understanding when it comes to kids. And we might think a court decision is bullshit and disagree, but the court is the court and theres no arguing with that, whenever there is a new change in laws or court decisions our boss tries to keep us current, we've never had a case lost in such a way that our practices need to be changed since i've been here but I would imagine the same would happen.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG

tentative8e8op posted:

So, barring insanely violent crimes like murders/rapes, you will never feel morally compelled to go out of your way to contact defendants/defense attorneys when you have 'concrete evidence' of wrongdoing by other officers in your force?

Im super interested in how proactive you all have been when you see wrongs committed by other officers in the force, rather than situations where you were going to be subpoenaed anyway.

i'm genuinely curious to know what percentage of every police agency in the country you would guess is bad or corrupt? I feel like your assuming that every agency has people who do bad things and it just gets ignored. Not every department is the NYPD or LAPD. The one time i've seen excessive force used was while I worked in a jail and that officer got fired for it

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
i'm sure before long drone pilot will be offered to po dunk police departments, so i'm holding out for that one.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
cops seems to be pretty alright like whip said, the older episodes are crazier. It always seems like to me that they take loving forever on one call though. Verbal arguement over a TV starts at noon, end shot is dark as they load someone in the car and drive away. I'd be pissed if my coworker had a cops cameraman riding and was hamming it up on calls to make them last longer.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
at least he is harassing white people.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
you can buy all sorts of poo poo from the goverment on gov auction sites http://www.govdeals.com/ Not just from the police either.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
I think we can all agree the best time to steal evidence is before you even log it in.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
criminal histories are about as protected as hipaa is for medical records. You will get caught looking at unauthorized criminal histories and you will get in trouble.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
We do it for the cameras.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
mailmen can refuse to go somewhere on the basis of danger.

http://rapidcityjournal.com/news/lo...678b7aff4b.html

plus you know the old saying about how when you have a hammer every problem looks like a nail?

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
because grabbing your gun is your first instinct when a dog is biting you. As to the other question, feel free to rephase it if you want a serious answer.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

If you were talking to me in person you'd be stumbling over your words to call me sir. :smug:

I meant to clarify my post, but internet trouble and your poo poo answer made me decide "gently caress it, cops will never answer that question truthfully anyways". I mean we got famous poo poo like Kelly Thomas, Rodney King, and plenty of others terrorized by police and all they got was an acquittal. I don't know how we can stop jurors from thinking cops can do no wrong other than keep letting this bullshit continue until people finally say "enough" but we all know that'll never happen.

people like to believe that the police are basically good and give us the benefit of the doubt, especially since a cop probably won't ever get a FTP jury. Or you get cities like LA where people just accept that LAPD might shoot you in the face if you're a certain shade a brown and driving a pickup. This is purely conjecture, but maybe most people feel that since the chances of them ever getting brutalized is next to zero that it isn't a big problem for them, kinda like how a ton of people don't give a gently caress about fracking or other environmental issues because it doesn't directly affect them, even to the detriment of the state of the planet. Police are basically the embodiment of white privilege.

Stargate posted:

See, this is what I was hoping someone would say but there are lots of police related deaths caused by neck injuries, e.g. that one with the kid who had down syndrome in the cinema and in the Kelly Thomas video he was telling them that he couldn't breathe. I know I've seen more like that but can't remember any specifics.

eh, I guess those guys hosed up v:shobon:v

I thought that downs kid in the cinema died because he was fat and couldn't breath while on his back? Either way I wouldn't say there is lots of police related deaths caused by neck injuries, and actually a lot of times you are more like squat sitting and resting some of your weight on them than actually putting 100% of your weight on their back or whatever. But no we are not trained and you should not kneel on someones neck

Branis fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Apr 20, 2014

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
i'd like to think a stiff boot to the face would discourage a dog from continuing to attack too, and it's preferable to shooting one.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG

Snowdens Secret posted:

I'm reading this debate on Volokh: http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2014/04/20/more-on-speed-limits-and-duties-to-obey-the-law/

Do you guys as policemen feel that loose enforcement of minor laws such as speeding erode civic respect for other laws? Alternately worded, do you think if traffic laws were somehow enforced firmly and to the letter (assume you weren't the poor bastard who had to do this) do you think violation rate of other, more serious laws would change?

Isn't this basically the broken window theory? Honestly it would probably be impossible to enforce traffic laws more harshly than they are now without using robots and traffic cameras. Theres just too much road and not enough cops, and there would never be enough cops.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG

Turtlicious posted:

Do you guys feel comfortable talking about the jurisdiction you work in?

I ask because a lot of people have experience with systemic corruption, (I live in Los Angeles and I had to witness one of the most horrifying things I've ever seen done by police,) but I understand that this doesn't mean cops in some podunk county are as likely to shoot a man in the face / rape a woman for a parking ticket.

Do you feel like the situations people talk about aren't real? Or do you think they're just talking about areas that don't affect your circle of influence or whatever.

you can't even begin to compare the LAPD to say my experiences in the rural upper midwest, so when LAPD is horrible and does horrible things, it doesn't really affect how things are done up here. In the entire history of my department theres never been an officer involved shooting, but I can understand how your experiences with LAPD can sour you on police in general.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
theres 10ish people on my department, which I think about 30% of all US police depts are between 10-30, and nobody has been shot at or shot anyone. Plenty of tense incidents involving guns since it is a rural area, but no shootings. Gun control is dumb, democrats are dumb for pushing it. Just once i'd like to see them fight for overhauling the health care and mental health care systems than try to ban scary black rifles. Banning guns just transfers more power to the wealthy.

Branis fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Apr 22, 2014

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
I feel like your tryin to control my guns by stopping me from talking about them

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
our cameras and recorders come on every time you turn on the lights so that is a no no

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG

USMC503 posted:

Is there any validity to the idea civilians should use the same ammo for concealed carry/home defense as their local PD?

theres no sort of science or trial and error in the ammo our dept uses, whatever the firearms instructor likes is what we use, so it may not be optimal. I think we use speer gold dot for duty and I use hornady critical defense in my carry gun.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
I just can't see that being true unless you like bragged about tipping your bullets with cyanide covered feces or tried to light him on fire using dragons breath or something.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
if hollowpoints didn't come up in the zimmerman trial they won't come up in anybody elses.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXIA-U2mL3U

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG

Harry in Rio posted:

I think when I stopped working in the ammo/armor business there were something like 32k uniformed NYPD and a bunch of departments that fell under the City Wide Service administration (Department of Health and Mental Hygiene Police, Department of Homeless Services Police, Parks Service, NYC Sanitation Police, etc). With the auxiliaries the total number of uniformed police in the 5 boroughs was some staggering number, I mean, 60k at the time.

Many of the Departments would issue body armor to officers, and not a sidearm. This was the case with many of the departments falling under the CWS administration. The reason being that these officers weren't actively patrolling, but more likely to get stabbed than shot (homeless shelters, bus stops and mental wards being prime places for this). Even after telling them the aramid vest they were wearing was not going to do a lot to stop a knife, CWS still paid out a 7 million dollar contract to supply every cop with a ballistic NIJ IIIA vest.

So far so good. Those departments that haven't issued sidearms haven't had any shootings. My question is this, for US and Canadian cops: would you work for a police agency that did not issue you a sidearm?

My first department didn't issue me a firearm, so I had to carry my own personal xd40 until I could afford a glock 22.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG

PostNouveau posted:

I hope I'm not straying too close to gun-control talk, but I'm surprised to read that UK police do not carry guns. I had always thought that they didn't wear them, but they did have them at the ready (locked in the car or something).

Do all U.S. departments require police to carry sidearms? Would any of the American copgoons even be willing to patrol without one?

I would bet that every US cop carries a gun. And given how many guns are out there I wouldn't want to not have one. Other than felons, i've never met a person in my county who didn't own at least one gun.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
can you even find a retention holster for a makarov? I love me some milsurp but I don't know if i'd rely on one in a gun fight.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
your sheriff or chief is going to expect you to do work, if that means going to calls or writing tickets or whatever, just something to show you arent hiding behind the grocery store or sitting at home your entire shift.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
Sioux falls police and highway patrol used to chase you till you died, but then they killed too many people that way and now they won't chase you for anything. My dept will still chase you till you die, but we haven't killed anyone yet.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG

DaNerd posted:

For the campus cops:

Sometimes large groups of students will gather in the parking lots of our residence halls while waiting to be taken to a party. When they get loud sometimes someone will call UPD on them to do something, but UPD never seems to do much.

What would/can you do in this kind of situation where there is a large group of people bothering others just by their presence?

drive by slowly with the window down pretending to do something so the person who called in and is inevitably watching from their window doesn't call back in to complain about my lazy rear end.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG

USMC503 posted:

How far away can the license plate scanners get license plates? I mean, if they can't chase me and don't see my plates, good luck identifying my car (or at least well enough you can prove it in a court). I drive a stock '07 silver Mustang (yes I know it's enlisted as gently caress) and there are a buttfucking ton of them so...

a lot of times a cop will have read your plate on before he ever lights you up, so unless it is stolen you'll probably get caught.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
I'm ok with the Feds going Waco on bundy and his teabag militia

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG

blue squares posted:

Do you know of any books, preferably fiction but narrative non-fiction works too, that are about the life of your average police officer? Not a noir detective story, but something more like the fantastic movie End of Watch.

Every book I find on the internet seems to be about detectives, whereas I prefer material like End of Watch and SouthLand.

http://www.amazon.com/BOOT-Officers...words=boot+lapd

this one I really enjoyed, and it takes place in the LAPD in the 90s, it's about as the name implies, the authors rookie year in the LAPD.

anything by Joseph Wambaugh is good, His stories like hollywood hills hollywood station harbor nocturne etc are all fictional and set in the modern day LAPD.

http://www.amazon.com/Joseph-Wambaugh/e/B000APXD4A/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_pop_1

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG

Abongination posted:

So then he should be charged with assault and resisting arrest, like any other person.

If you were to come across a family member (you know where they live, work, contact numbers) choking some motherfucker out in the street you'd arrest them straight away. If they ran or fought back it would make things worse for them legally and it should be no different if that person is in uniform or not.

I don't think the handcuffed, unconscious student is going to be causing you any-more trouble.

There are tons of times that people don't get arrested on the spot and get charged with later. They know who it is they have the evidence and it was dealt with accordingly, the guy the guy got fired and probably going to be facing charges, I don't see what more you could possibly want? I promise you that even in whatever perfect society you imagine in your brain, no cop is going to arrest another cop straight out on the scene of something.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
Tentacle Party is australian, i'm fairly certain they choke each other out as a greeting there.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
I think swat teams do have a purpose, and from what i've seen of other regional teams I think they are better than every small town having their own. I also think DHS/whatever agency should give money instead of armored cars to police depts on the stipulation it's used for training and education and hiring more officers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
taking freedom from human beings should never have a profit motive, whether that be speeding tickets or prison sentences. If society has decided to put someone in prison and deprive them of freedom then society should bear the cost.

• Locked thread