Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Violajoker
Jun 13, 2007
What's on the surface?

Literally? A lot of lipstick, feathering into the fine lines around her mouth. The rest of the works, too--eyeliner, eyeshadow, blush, bronzer, smear it all on. Why not? There's plenty left in the CVSes, the Walgreens. The good stuff's free. Ever since the blight hit, nobody wants makeup anymore. Nobody realizes how important it is to keep up appearances.
And it is so important. The minute you start living like a barbarian is the minute you lose. You set a table when you eat, or the ground if that's what you've got. You keep clean. You try to be beautiful. This is why she's the only person around who'll refuse a meal on occasion--her figure, you understand.
You, on the other hand, need some meat on your bones, and if you're going on patrol, you are taking this pack lunch, mister. And an extra sweater. And a couple more clips of ammo, just in case. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Right?
Check in when you get back. We'll have dinner, a sit-down. Don't slam the door on the way out.

What lies beneath?

Everybody's their own little planet. They start out molten, erratic, but eventually gravity attracts layers of sediment, and that crazy molten rock gets covered up. Some folks, their gravity's weak, they have thin crusts. Hers is miles deep, her core buried under strata after strata of habits and aphorisms and manners. It's all under there, all her anger and loneliness, and those layers put it under a lot of pressure. Which keeps it down, unless something (like seeing her only little boy slowly turn into a fungus-monster) makes a fault line. Then things get messy.
All she wants to do is cook you a nice sit-down, but if she has to smash the skulls of a thousand Cordies in order to do so, she will. And then she'll burn the bodies, because sometimes it takes fire to keep this awful, awful world tidy.

quote:

Trudy the Solace
Look: Woman, Dress Wear, Open Face, Wide Eyes, Skinny Body
Stats: Cool=0 Hard-1 Hot+2 Sharp+1 Weird+1

SOLACE MOVES
Alive in the world: when you take your bearings in a landscape or a settlement, ask 1:
• Where could I hide here?
• If I had to make a stand here, where would be best?
• What does this place or these people have to offer me?
• How could I gain access to this place’s or these people’s secrets?
• How could I gain the undivided attention of all present?
• How could I best become accepted as a part of this place or these people?
• What or who is the source of the most pain here?
Whenever acting on the answer requires a roll, take +1. If you’d like to ask further questions, roll+sharp. On a 10+, ask 2 more. On a 7–9, ask 1 more.
On a miss, ask 1 more, but you stand musing, and if time’s urgent you stand musing too long.

A higher standard: at the end of the session, when you would normally choose a character who knows you better, instead, consider each of the
other players’ characters and decide whether or not they were good people. All that were, tell them to add +1 to their Hx with you on their sheet. You
can tell none of them, any of them, or all of them, as you see fit. If this brings them to Hx+4, they mark experience and reset to Hx+1, as always.

GEAR
• yeast culture (consumed alive) feed it regularly with water & starch, use it to
make bread or beer
• handmade childrens’ toys (you detail)

WOLVES
The maelstrom’s wolves are hunting you.
Under their disguises, they look like (choose 1):
Insects
But (choose 2):
They're invisible
They make terrible grinding noises.

Tell the MC the above, and that they’re perversions of birth. She’ll know what you mean

THRESHOLD
You hold space safe; your space has a threshold, a perimeter. By default, your threshold provides 1-safety to your personal living space only. At the beginning of
the session, roll+hot. On a 10+, choose 3. On a 7–9, choose 2:
• Your threshold provides 2-safety. Choose this again for 3-safety.
• Your threshold protects not just your own space, but the space of anyone to whom you extend your protection.
• No one with weird+2 or higher can enter across your threshold, and if they’re already within it, they must act under fire to do anything but depart.
• Your threshold is a barrier to the world’s psychic maelstrom, isolating all within from it.
• Your threshold doesn’t protect just your living space, but any space you’re in, moving with you wherever you go.

On a miss, the default stands.
Whenever any player’s character within your threshold rolls+hard or rolls+weird, they subtract your threshold’s safety from the roll.
Whenever any NPC within your threshold begins to take violent action, the MC must tell you and have you roll+safety. On a 10+, the NPC reconsiders, and finds a
nonviolent way to express her impulse. On a 7–9, the NPC telegraphs her intention, and all present have time to act before she carries through (but bearing in mind that she remains, nevertheless, under your threshold’s protection herself). On a miss, the NPC is free to act as the MC chooses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violajoker
Jun 13, 2007
Trudy, how about you tell us about a time things did get messy?

"I'm telling you, she's nuts," Griff says. He's chewing on a hard roll, and it's not going down easy. Chuck's no baker, the rolls are like rocks.

"And I'm tellin' you she blasted through ten of those fuckers like they were nothing. In heels, for gently caress's sake," Chuck says. "We could use someone like that around."

"I dunno," Griff says. "Who wears a pink respirator?"

"I don't care what she wears, long as she can kill," Chuck says. "I'm serious. Soon as she saw that mob, it was like she turned into a loving robot. Her eyes went all dead, and she just kept smashing until they were all loving pulp. They weren't even chasing her. She went after 'em. One, she brought a heel down in its loving eye socket. She was, like, laughing. Once they were dead, she was fine again. Like she practically forgot."

"Creepy," Griff says, picking off a little bit of the bread and rolling it between his fingers.

"She can cook," Chuck says, grabbing a roll and tapping it on the table. It sounds like a gavel. "Aren't you sick of my cooking?"

Griff sighs. "She can stick around, if she wants."

Violajoker
Jun 13, 2007
Serious question, guys:

Is anybody here a wolf of the maelstrom? I know it's rude to ask, but this is important.

Also:

hctibyllis posted:

I guess Trudy could have a spot on campus if she wanted, which with her Threshhold might make the uni the closest thing we have to a hardhold as it stands currently?

- Has someone put their hand in when it mattered and helped me save a life? Mark Hx +2.

If Trudy had the time to make a sash with the words "Official Campus Den Mother" on it, she would. As it is, she's too busy making sure the occupied section of dorm rooms aren't just serviceable, but livable. You need an extra pillow? You call her. She's here for everybody.

Especially Faustina, on whom Trudy's keeping a particularly watchful eye, especially since she saved Ethel.

Ethel's a goat, and a darn mean one at that, but if you can get her to hold still long enough, she's good for milk, and then cheese. She lives on the quad, mowing grass and headbutting whomever she can, whenever she can. A few weeks back, Ethel got spooked by a Cordie at the far north barricade, fell off some stacked up furniture and landed wrong. Broke her neck. At least, Trudy thinks Ethel broke her neck, because of how awfully wrong the angle of it was when she got there, but Faustina, who'd arrived a few moments earlier, just looked at her and said, "Trust me. She'll be okay."

Faustina put her hands on Ethel's neck. Ethel didn't even flinch. Trudy was sure she was dead.

"Come here," Faustina said. "Give me your hand."

And Trudy had, thinking maybe they'd have a prayer or something, and then some goat chops later.

Faustina rubbed Ethel's neck with one hand, and held on to Trudy with the other. After a few moments, and to Trudy's serious surprise, Ethel blinked, blatted, got up, and walked away.

"Just a kink," Faustina had said, swaying a little. She looked tired. "If you know your pressure points, those'll come undone easy."

Trudy didn't quite believe her, but she was suddenly so tired, and thought the question could wait until after a nap.

Violajoker fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Apr 27, 2014

Violajoker
Jun 13, 2007
Juck: +1Hx
Angel Eyes: +1Hx
Big Mike: -1Hx
Faustina: +2Hx
Deacon: -1Hx

Faustina, go ahead and highlight a stat on me, please! For those who've answered the wolf question:

Angel Eyes gets Hx+2. Under her disguise, she looks like nothingness, but feels like a giant bug. Her carapace makes awful grinding noises.
Deacon gets Hx+1
Big Mike gets Hx=0

Violajoker
Jun 13, 2007
Ack, sorry about my lack of highlighting!

Violajoker
Jun 13, 2007
Can somebody give me a quick tutorial for Acting Under Fire so I can get Black Betty scootin'? I know where I'm driving, but I'm not sure when to roll what.

Also yeah, holy poo poo hyctibyllis.

Violajoker
Jun 13, 2007
Oh, butts. I rolled a 9.

And that was exactly what I needed to know! Thanks!

Edit: Just realized y'all probably need actual proof of my dice-rolling, not shady words. So I'm re-rolling with Orokos.

...which is being buggy. Roll results as soon as I get 'em.

Violajoker fucked around with this message at 23:13 on May 7, 2014

Violajoker
Jun 13, 2007
I rolled dice in real life, and there's no way y'all could have known if I was for real or not. I wasn't thinking about it.
I'm okay with my lil 3, actually. Trudy doesn't like a mess, but I sure do!

Violajoker
Jun 13, 2007
That's beautiful, Shardix.

Violajoker
Jun 13, 2007
Okay, so:

As a Solace, I have a Threshold, for which I just rolled an 8.

Threshold: 2d6+2 8

Which means I get to choose two threshold perks. If I choose:

No one with weird+2 or higher can enter across your threshold, and if they're already within it, they must act under fire to do anything but depart.

AND

Your threshold doesn't protect just your living space, but any space you're in, moving with you wherever you go.

Does that mean that right now Black Betty is a safe space against anyone/anything with +2 weird? Do zombies have weird?

Because if we're about to be overrun, that would be useful.

Violajoker
Jun 13, 2007
I have a big ol' post planned for tomorrow! Promise!

Violajoker
Jun 13, 2007
Don't worry, Hcti. I got this. I get off work at noon, should have a post by 1. This is gonna be so fun!

Violajoker
Jun 13, 2007
Since everybody else was arting all over the place....

Violajoker
Jun 13, 2007
String, do I need to mark fatigue for keeping my threshold up?

Violajoker
Jun 13, 2007
Oh jeez, brain fart! I'll correct my thing.

Also I'm gonna roll to help out when I get home. I can't remember my Hx for Faustina.

Violajoker fucked around with this message at 21:12 on May 13, 2014

Violajoker
Jun 13, 2007
drat, Deacon is really fleshing out well as a character. I love the layers!

Violajoker
Jun 13, 2007
No problem with getting put in the truck, Shardix! It's what I was gonna do anyway.

Violajoker
Jun 13, 2007
Sorry I've been so infrequent thus far, guys, but after I move in to my new apartment this weekend it shoukd be much smoother sailing. Working on replies to all the questions and stuff right now, should have something up tonight.

This has been so awesome so far!

Violajoker
Jun 13, 2007
Trudy is headed to campus, for sure.

A Higher Standard
Good People get Hx+1 with me

Faustina: Good People.
Big Mike: Good People
Juck: Bad People
Angel Eyes: Good People
Deacon: Bad People

Trudy: Obviously you've got some excellent habits that a lot of people would do well to emulate. Y'know, like learning how not to cultubate new armpit bacteria that could wipe out the entire ecosystem of a jungle. Can you tell us a bit about the time in your life where you learned the value of cleanliness and order? Or perhaps, if there were some lost art you could teach this rotting world, what would it be?

If Trudy could bring back anything from the Before Time, it would be the classic cocktail party. Little drinks, little toothpicks, little olives, tidy tiny sandwiches. Oh, yes. She could go for a pimento cheese with the crusts cut of, like, right now. And it's not just invitations, planning, and cooking that appeal to her. It's the togetherness. Charades, martinis, slightly dirtier charades. Easy fun.
It's not like there aren't parties now. But the word "rave" is much more apropos. Those kids aren't just having fun, they're cracking ancient glowsticks against the dark of the apocalypse. They're partying because they have to.
So yeah, if she had her pick, Trudy would resurrect that un-selfconscious fun she remembered from before. The kind of party her parents would throw, and she would watch from the top of the staircase.

Trudy: Angel Eyes is mouthy, flippant, and has an ego the size of a small moon. In your case, however, she avoids making eye contact and is always stiffly polite (when she talks to you at all.) How do you feel about that?

Trudy feels surprisingly good about Angel Eyes in general, although she hasn't quite pinned down why. Maybe it's because the job today was to protect Mike, and he came back all right. There's a lot to respect in keeping one's word, even as a mercenary.
As for why Ms. Eyes seems uncomfortable around her, Trudy has no idea. Maybe she reminds Eyes of her mother. Maybe she's jealous of her dress--too fun and bright for someone in her line of work.
Maybe it's because she's a wolf of the goshdarned Maelstrom, and she and Trudy knows it, and deep down Eyes feels guilty about that.
But wolves aren't all bad or unredeemable. Where do you think Corgis came from?

Trudy, how sane do you think you are? Also, did you hold on to that backpack full of weed? It's worth either 1-barter, or something like 400 cumulative man-hours of feeling pretty good about life.

Trudy thinks she's got a decent grip on things, because if she hadn't learned how to handle the pressure (like going into town for a day to ostensibly scrounge for makeup, but really stress-killing biters until she's sweaty and shaking), she would have killed herself a long time ago. It's fifteen years into this mess. Quitting time has passed.

Speaking of stress management: Did she hold on to the weed? Very definitely yes. Trudy can be uptight about some stuff, but she's no teetotaler. Making a home a home is difficult in the best of times, never mind the slavering fungal hordes trying to get in and ruin the carpet. When she's feeling out of sorts, spiritually, it helps to light up and do some meditative sewing. Aligns her mom-chakra, or whatever.

Not that she's gonna keep it all to herself. Faustina can have as much as she needs to dole out for nausea or trouble sleeping to the girls. Just so long as nobody overdoes it.

Is the Apocalypse Mom thing a dedicated act?

An act it's not. Trudy truly wants to take care of people she deems worthy of care.

Violajoker
Jun 13, 2007
I can't for the life of me remember who I'm highlighting this time.

Violajoker
Jun 13, 2007
Im gonna highlight Juck's Cool. Cuz she's cool as hell.
Also looks like Angel Eyes and Faustina are tied for highest with me, so how about Angel this time?

Violajoker fucked around with this message at 16:43 on May 29, 2014

Violajoker
Jun 13, 2007
Threshold roll!

Threshold Session 2: 2d6+2 8

So I get to pick two. This time I pick:

• Your threshold doesn’t protect just your living space, but any space you’re in, moving with
you wherever you go.

• Your threshold protects not just your own space, but the space of anyone to whom you
extend your protection

Does rolling +hot for this give me experience because it's a highlighted stat? Also, do I need to choose to whom I'm extending my protection now, or when it's needed?

Violajoker
Jun 13, 2007
I can't think of a way to fit a description of Juck into the current narrative. Is it cool if I lay it all out in here? I might do a drawing, too.

Violajoker
Jun 13, 2007
"One-shite wonder" is killing me. Awesome.

Anyway, about Juck:

If anybody could see Juck, for real, they'd probably notice the antennae first. They writhe around a lot, fast, like someone's hands in the dark, looking for something. Because Juck's an insect, a parasite, always looking for whatever's next, whatever's the easiest to suck from.

Her real body's about man-sized, but all out of proportion. Those feelers sprout out of a tiny little head that's mostly shiny eyes, about the size of a big grapefruit. There's no neck, just that little round head on top of a long, segmented body. Think centipede, but not quite as many legs. The legs, though, are long, and squiggle around like extra feelers. There's eight of them, and Juck walks around on the bottom four, the rest of her reared up in the air.

This is all if she could be seen, though, and she can't. Her true self isn't see-able, and the closest anybody ever gets to knowing her form is sound and feel--a feeler brushing against your neck, a probing leg. Every once in a while, when someone lands a particularly good punch, there's a sound, like a june bug smacking into a window--thwack! Not many people hear that sound and live to tell about it, but those who do feel like they've been scraping their nails on a chalkboard.

Juck grinds when she moves, and if you hear it, you're in a small, terrible minority. Congratulations.

Violajoker
Jun 13, 2007

Shardix posted:

Oh, man. If those guys try to steal Trudy's sock monkeys they are dead. No two ways about it.

What is "Something You'll Only Ever Hear in Apocalypse World," Alex?

Violajoker
Jun 13, 2007
Trudy is about to try to Shush everybody involved in the maskface crisis, get them all to calm down (hopefully). But first:

Alive in the World
How could I gain the undivided attention of everyone present?

Violajoker
Jun 13, 2007
If I don't screw up getting everybody to calm down, Deacon should be fine! Should have a post tonight or tomorrow.

Violajoker
Jun 13, 2007
Does Trudy need to roll to follow/track the Killdozer cultists?

Violajoker
Jun 13, 2007
Yeah, attempting to infiltrate a cult was not something I imagined would come out of this. It's awesome!

Violajoker
Jun 13, 2007
drat you, String! Humanizing those cultists! Trudy was gonna go on a stupid rampage, and now I gotta think about them as, like, people.

Awesome :3

Violajoker
Jun 13, 2007
I plan on getting something up tomorrow. I've been trying to find a new job lately, and things are hectic.

Violajoker
Jun 13, 2007
String, do let me know if I took too much liberty with that last post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violajoker
Jun 13, 2007
Promise I'm not dead! I'll have something up tonight or tomorrow, I swear.

Really enjoying everybody's posts, btw. I got a heck of a first game.

• Locked thread