Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Bushmaori posted:

I reanimate for help. Anyone with a GTX970 having massive performance issues in this game? I get around 30fps on the lowest settings with occasional freezes, it ran better on my old HD6870. I looked online and found that this is apparently a very common problem so I tried out 6 or so different fixes that people recommended and found none that work. Does anybody here have any idea how to fix this?

I've got a 970 and the game runs perfectly. It might be another culprit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Like butta with my 970

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Wrong thread!

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
Nothing I do makes a difference, runs like poo poo regardless. Too late to get a refund as well, sigh.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There's got to be something causing it to happen, if your PC exceeds the recommended specs it won't just randomly run like poo poo for some unsolvable reason. Do you have it installed on a hard drive with a slow read/write speed, like an external HDD connected by USB or similar?

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

CJacobs posted:

There's got to be something causing it to happen, if your PC exceeds the recommended specs it won't just randomly run like poo poo for some unsolvable reason. Do you have it installed on a hard drive with a slow read/write speed, like an external HDD connected by USB or similar?

Nope, in fact I tried it on two different internal HDDs to check if that might be an issue. The only think I could think of as really slowing it down would be my comparatively slow cpu, which is only a an i5-2400 quad code at 3.1GHz. Still though, having it run faster on my old graphics card is confusing. Looking around the internet it seems to be a problem that isn't too uncommon with 970s but so far a lot of us with these cards cant seem to fix the issue while others never had any problems to begin with :/. No other games give me issues like this either.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The game is actually using the 970, right? I've heard of some games that for whatever reason, default to onboard graphics instead of your GPU and I'm wondering if that's the case here. That or somehow the game isn't using your PCI-E bus fully, like it's running only at x1 instead of x16.

MTV Crib Death
Jun 21, 2012
I told my fat girlfriend I wanted to bang skinny chicks and now I'm wondering why my relationship is garbage.
Make sure mouse acceleration is turned off. I was getting odd freezes before i turned it off. For reference I ran the game on a 660ti with great performance.

If that doesn't work, clean your GPU, fans, and motherboard.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Mr. Fortitude posted:

The game is actually using the 970, right? I've heard of some games that for whatever reason, default to onboard graphics instead of your GPU and I'm wondering if that's the case here. That or somehow the game isn't using your PCI-E bus fully, like it's running only at x1 instead of x16.

How would I check/ change such a thing?

MTV Crib Death posted:

Make sure mouse acceleration is turned off. I was getting odd freezes before i turned it off. For reference I ran the game on a 660ti with great performance.

If that doesn't work, clean your GPU, fans, and motherboard.
It is turned off, my GPU, fans and motherboard are all clean.

With more looking around I managed to find a lot more people with this problem and lots of people for whom none of the apparent fixes work. Great!
This after playing bioshock infinite at 60fps constant with every setting maxed.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Turn off Screen-Space Reflections and Sub-Surface Scattering in the video options if those are options that are available to you. I know they are in The Old Blood but can't remember if they are in TNO. Those two are framerate black holes. If they're already off then I am officially out of ideas.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

CJacobs posted:

Turn off Screen-Space Reflections and Sub-Surface Scattering in the video options if those are options that are available to you. I know they are in The Old Blood but can't remember if they are in TNO. Those two are framerate black holes. If they're already off then I am officially out of ideas.

Yeah I tried that, even running everything at low or off at a crappy resolution doesn't make much difference to the frame rate.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Bushmaori posted:

How would I check/ change such a thing?

Download GPU-Z and check the GPU load while you're in game. If it's awfully low yet your performance is still garbage, it must be defaulting to your integrated graphics instead of your 970.

If that is the case then you'll need to go to your Nvidia control panel, manage 3D settings and select High-performance NVIDIA processor as your preferred one.

If that still isn't the problem, the only other thing I can think of is that the card isn't getting enough power from your power supply at full load.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
http://www.destructoid.com/wolfenstein-the-new-order-2-just-got-teased-312156.phtml

Ooohoohohoh?

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Download GPU-Z and check the GPU load while you're in game. If it's awfully low yet your performance is still garbage, it must be defaulting to your integrated graphics instead of your 970.

If that is the case then you'll need to go to your Nvidia control panel, manage 3D settings and select High-performance NVIDIA processor as your preferred one.

If that still isn't the problem, the only other thing I can think of is that the card isn't getting enough power from your power supply at full load.

Just saw this thread get bumped. I appreciate all the help guys but nothing worked.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Bushmaori posted:

Just saw this thread get bumped. I appreciate all the help guys but nothing worked.

drat. That sucks. I just read through your issues and I just did a new build with a 970. One of the first games I tried was TNO and Old Blood and they ran fine.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Wamdoodle posted:

drat. That sucks. I just read through your issues and I just did a new build with a 970. One of the first games I tried was TNO and Old Blood and they ran fine.

I've read that people having my problems with TNO have no problems with TOB, mind you I'm sure as poo poo not going to buy the game to find out if it's true for me as well.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

quote:

I'm working on a video game, first part of which I have already made. Now we're making a second one, which will take two more years. I played this game as a child. I was very happy when I got to the point where I could shoot Hitler.

Sniper Elite 5?! No way! :downs:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Oh what a beautiful morning, oh what a beautiful day.
I've got a beautiful feeling, everything's going my way.
:allears:

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Yesssss. Best news I've heard all day. :allears:

Timespy
Jul 6, 2013

No bond but to do just ones

Getting pretty psyched right now :dance:

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
The Old Blood

The prison escape sequence really made me miss quicksaves. I'm finally at the point where you get a gun you can keep.

Probably dumb question, but is there any benefit for getting full completion in the "retro" nightmare levels? Are there any gold or notes you can miss before getting thrown into prison?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

The Old Blood

The prison escape sequence really made me miss quicksaves. I'm finally at the point where you get a gun you can keep.

Probably dumb question, but is there any benefit for getting full completion in the "retro" nightmare levels? Are there any gold or notes you can miss before getting thrown into prison?

If you get all the gold in the retro level, I believe you unlock some artwork.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Nalin posted:

If you get all the gold in the retro level, I believe you unlock some artwork.

Ah. Probably not worth it, I think.

Through strategic use of health packs, I've managed to unlock the Health Upgrade II and III in quick succession early on in the Wolfenstein Keep level, which is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I've missed a few collectibles, but I've just now gotten the Eagle Eye perk. I got killed and still kept the perk after I came back to the checkpoint. There's a replay mission option - what happens to my current game if I try to replay a previous level - will I keep that spot, or will I lose all that progress? Will I keep the Eagle Eye perk if I replay a mission?

If it's the second case, then I guess I should probably wait until I reach the start of the next level.

• Locked thread