Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Played a bit of RtCW. It reminded me that I still to this day have no idea exactly what B.J.'s ancestor says in the opening cinematic after he carves the glyph. Is it "Imprisonment" or "A prison then"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I think it's "A prison, then," but wait, that's supposed to be B.J.'s ancestor? Where did they say that?

Edit: vv Yes. It's pretty drat good. Final boss fight is kind of lame, but other than that, it's good.

catlord fucked around with this message at 08:12 on May 11, 2014

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
drat it, I keep getting confused on whether wolfenstein 2009 is worth it or not.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Its a great game marred by some obvious design flaws, like enemies being far to fragile, if you get it you should look into the retrostein mod that fixes some of these issues.

TaurusTorus fucked around with this message at 09:37 on May 11, 2014

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

blackguy32 posted:

drat it, I keep getting confused on whether wolfenstein 2009 is worth it or not.
Every game with "Wolfenstein" in the title is worth playing, and it's your civic duty to kill as many Nazis as you possibly can.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
It could be worth throwing the link to Wolf 3D's fancy web version into the op somewhere.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

blackguy32 posted:

It's a very good game that unfortunately was a bit consolized, should probably have fleshed out its ideas more and nobody bought the game because it wasn't CoD or something. It's absolutely worth it if you can get it cheap though if I remember right, Steam no longer sells the game.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

GUI posted:

TNO is a sequel to RTCW and 2009, it was mentioned by one of the developers here

Thanks for that link; I was going purely based on watching trailers/level previews. Of course I would prefer it to be a sequel to RTCW/Wolf 09, but I just wasn't 100% sure.

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 14:25 on May 11, 2014

Broose
Oct 28, 2007

catlord posted:

I think it's "A prison, then," but wait, that's supposed to be B.J.'s ancestor? Where did they say that?

I just assumed it was since when you fight him he mentions something about a familiar feeling.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
According to the Wolfenstein wiki (yes sorry I'm going full :goonsay: ) RTCW, Wolf09 and TNO are in the same continuity, but they are completely separate from Wolf3D.

e;f;b

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Honestly every Wolfenstein game is basically standalone. I've played them all and I don't remember a single callback to any of the other games other than people knowing who BJ Blazkowicz was and that he fights crazy occult Nazis.

And yes 2009 is definitely worth playing. I think it's more fun than Return to Castle Wolfenstein in a lot of ways.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Contra Calculus posted:

According to the Wolfenstein wiki (yes sorry I'm going full :goonsay: ) RTCW, Wolf09 and TNO are in the same continuity, but they are completely separate from Wolf3D.

e;f;b

Also according to the Wiki, Wolfenstein and Doom are in the same continuity too for some reason.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Also according to the Wiki, Wolfenstein and Doom are in the same continuity too for some reason.
WolfRPG and Doom2 RPG are; the Marine character in the Doom game is Sgt Blazcowicz, and at the end of WolfRPG you fight a huge demon and blow off one of its arms and legs, and the demon vows to kill your descendants. That demon comes back as the Cyberdemon. :eng101:

WolfRPG and Doom2RPG are both on the iOS App Store, they're both pretty fun timewasters.

The only real link between RTCW, Wolf09, and Wolf TNO (other than BJ himself) is Deathshead.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

timeandtide posted:

Speaking of Hitler, is he still alive during The New Order? Have they made any mention of him? I sincerely hope he pops in as a surprise boss or something.
I vaguely recall one of the Wolf09 developers mentioning that they wanted to have MECHAHITLER return, but were turned down by Id.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Elliotw2 posted:

It could be worth throwing the link to Wolf 3D's fancy web version into the op somewhere.

Wow, I can't believe how much of a baby 5 year old me was to not try this on Death Incarnate. Its pretty easy besides not knowing the controls and if you've unlocked a secret passage or not.

The Kins posted:

I vaguely recall one of the Wolf09 developers mentioning that they wanted to have MECHAHITLER return, but were turned down by Id.

Maybe not the preserved head or brain of Hitler, but its not stopping Deathshead from making AI Hitler for no particular reason!:science: Hell, you could probably just write it as the Doctor thinking he's beyond the old trapping of Nazism and is just developing this giant personalized pet that is also a WMD.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Since Mechs are already confirmed, any appearance of Hitler would have to be a step further. Some sort of super mecha Hitler.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

echronorian posted:

Since Mechs are already confirmed, any appearance of Hitler would have to be a step Führer. Some sort of super mecha Hitler.
:shrug:
Cheapest place for this? I'm hype for some straight up bang-bang pew-pew and I don't want to reinstall Rage.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Yodzilla posted:

Honestly every Wolfenstein game is basically standalone. I've played them all and I don't remember a single callback to any of the other games other than people knowing who BJ Blazkowicz was and that he fights crazy occult Nazis.

Wolf 09 used a bunch of RTCW musical cues, BJ's bosses were the same guys (though Tony Jay was dead by the time that game was made), Deathshead returns, Tesla guns, etc.

Hitler is at least mentioned in some of the preview material for TNO (entering a city, you converse with the guards, everyone goes Heil Hitler, etc). Hitler would be 71 by the time of TNO. Whether he still exists and is in power is a question they'll have to answer.

Also seconding the Retrostein mod for Wolf 09, it puts the difficulty back in the right place for PC.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Commander Keen is BJ's grandson, too. Where does he fit into the RtCW/Wolf09/TNO canon?

Also I'm sort of thrilled about this. RtCW and Wolf09 were fun, though I never finished them. The combat in this one just looks so... Meaty.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

kefkafloyd posted:

Wolf 09 used a bunch of RTCW musical cues, BJ's bosses were the same guys (though Tony Jay was dead by the time that game was made), Deathshead returns, Tesla guns, etc.

Hitler is at least mentioned in some of the preview material for TNO (entering a city, you converse with the guards, everyone goes Heil Hitler, etc). Hitler would be 71 by the time of TNO. Whether he still exists and is in power is a question they'll have to answer.

Also seconding the Retrostein mod for Wolf 09, it puts the difficulty back in the right place for PC.

According to that dev interview posted a while back the Nazis are already doubling down on the "how much blond is good enough, how blue should their eyes be" philosophy by the 60s, so it'd be very interesting to see how a greying dark haired Hitler is still justifying himself as the so-called Aryan race is still trying to purify itself. You might even expect some sort of Hitler Jr to be genetically created and being preened for leadership.

It might actually be fitting to have a mission take place in Vienna where you stumble on the cozy estate of the retired and likely senile fuhrer. Have a small ethical choice over whether or not you should leave him to die by age or extract some long overdue revenge.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Crabtree posted:

It might actually be fitting to have a mission take place in Vienna where you stumble on the cozy estate of the retired and likely senile fuhrer. Have a small ethical choice over whether or not you should leave him to die by age or extract some long overdue revenge.

It would be fitting indeed.

quote:

Commander Keen is BJ's grandson, too. Where does he fit into the RtCW/Wolf09/TNO canon?

He doesn't.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

kefkafloyd posted:

He doesn't.

I meant that mostly as a joke, but they should fix that.

Mushball
May 23, 2012
Just wait until the dark and gritty Commander Keen sequel that haves him teaming up with grandpa Blazkowicz to stop the alien nazis from reichus five from taking over earth.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Dewgy posted:

I meant that mostly as a joke, but they should fix that.

Don't worry. The game ends with Crazy grandpa Blazkowicz telling little Billy Blaze how he single-handedly beat the poo poo out of Adolf Hitler and his Nazi empire in an alternate timeline.

:kiddo:"But grandpa, I thought you escaped from Castle Wolfenstein?"

:corsair:"Hush, I haven't even begun to tell you about the time I had a magical medallion that let me shoot teal powers out of my gun!"

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Mushball posted:

Just wait until the dark and gritty Commander Keen sequel that haves him teaming up with grandpa Blazkowicz to stop the alien nazis from reichus five from taking over earth.

... Not a bad concept, if you spun it as a parody.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Wolfenstein 3D, Commander Keen and Doom are in the same continuity, though it's more of an easter egg/nod than anything. BJ is Commander Keen's grandad while the latter is the Doomguy's great grandfather.

The Kins posted:

I doubt the series will ever have Hitler as a boss or character again (though he'll probably be mentioned like at the end of RTCW) since that would mean having to censor it even more heavily than they already do for the German release.

Croccers posted:

:shrug:
Cheapest place for this? I'm hype for some straight up bang-bang pew-pew and I don't want to reinstall Rage.

GreenManGaming has it for u$45 if you use a voucher.
Grey market serial sites have it for u$30-35.

GUI fucked around with this message at 23:02 on May 11, 2014

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

SimplyCDKeys, which is a legit British site, have it for ~$40.

http://www.simplycdkeys.com/steam/wolfenstein-new-order?ref=simplycdkeys_home_product_panel

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

This is not a good way to support the developers though, which if you aren't pirating I assume you care about.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Everything leads to SimplyCDKeys being a legit site. It's the digital version of SimplyGames, a legit UK retailer. If I'm wrong correct me, but UK goons in the Steam thread say it's all on the up and up.

In other news, I'd not seen this before, but it's a recap of Wolfenstein:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sn8cePe-qgI

Apparently, it's all canon! Hitler is dead, and TNO takes place in the Fourth Reich.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

blackguy32 posted:

All the Wolfensteins are good, although each has problems that the community have fixed.

Wolf3D/Spear Of Destiny is kinda cool as far as retro maze games go, but the lack of automap is awful. So run ECWolf for higher resolution graphics and a handy automap feature. Latest builds here.

Return To Castle Wolfenstein is generally good, although it doesn't play too nice with modern OS's and has no widescreen support. All fixed by this unofficial patch.

Wolfenstein 2009 is a surprisingly underrated shooter. The balance is a little squirly by default, but easily fixed using the Retrostein mod, which makes subtle and logical tweaks to help the sense of escalation through the campaign. Use the 'B' version that has area transition text turned back on.

It's kinda weird to think that, expansions aside, there's only been four Wolfenstein games (counting New Order) in the past 22 years. As for New Order, I had managed to dodge footage of it ever since it was announced, so was very pleasantly surprised when I saw that uncut, unedited first hour of the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LzV6B6oF7c

It's unmistakably a Wolfenstein game. MachineGames know what they're doing, obviously. The gameplay looks like a logical progression for the series, too. I like that they've gone for a more retro health/armor system, but made health partially regenerating so you can't back yourself into a corner.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 01:42 on May 12, 2014

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I want Wolf09 back on Steam, drat it. All you guys praising it is making me want it and it being removed along with Enemy Territory Quake Wars just pisses me off. Hopefully Bethesda comes to its senses and does it, but I won't hold my breath seeing how they've been such jerks about Fallout coming back to GOG.

Wolf ET is still sort of alive, by the way. Most servers seem to be bot populated but I did see some actual players at some point.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
gently caress. if there was ever a game to have Raven's Soldier of Fortune limb removing ability, it's this one.

Has anyone heard of the differences between the ps3 and ps4 version (besides the graphics I mean).

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

gently caress. if there was ever a game to have Raven's Soldier of Fortune limb removing ability, it's this one.

Pretty sure it already has that. Coulda swore that I saw him blow a nazis leg off with a shotgun in that gameplay video above.

Edit: Yep! Click for timestamped video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LzV6B6oF7c&t=3078s

Complete with really detailed 'hopping backwards and windmilling arms' death animation.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 03:26 on May 12, 2014

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Eh dunno if he blows it off or backwards.

Raven had it best though, where if the model basically hopped wrong or took a shotgun blast near a joint, that leg would come off like it was a balsa wood and celery stick prosthetic filled with BBQ. God I loved those games.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Eh dunno if he blows it off or backwards.

Raven had it best though, where if the model basically hopped wrong or took a shotgun blast near a joint, that leg would come off like it was a balsa wood and celery stick prosthetic filled with BBQ. God I loved those games.

All I ever used was a shotgun, knife, and thermite grenades. :unsmigghh:

Also I'm super glad this has a proper double barreled super shotgun. :omarcomin:

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

It also has belt-fed auto shotguns. Which you can dual-wield, just in case you wanted to burn the entire world with a hail of buckshot.

TE!
Nov 26, 2003

I LOVE THE LITTLE BOYS OF CATHOLIC!! LOLZ!
This may have been asked already but are the guns like they are in RTCW:ET? Like, do they have a repeatable bullet spray with no weapon sway, decreased accuracy when falling, or any of that modern fps 'realism'?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

So who here likes Wolfenstein-knockoffs? I do, I do! :dance:

Anyone here jonesing for some surprisingly fun not-Wolfenstein super-Nazi killin' should check out Ubersoldier 1 and 2. They're made by some Russian developer and have the shittiest voice acting in video game history (and that's a god drat bold statement if I've ever said one), but they're actually pretty drat competent for when they came out (especially Ubersoldier 2). Wolf09 actually cribs from them pretty heavily - the Veil superpowers you get in Wolf09 are pretty much copied wholesale from Ubersoldier.

Ubersoldier 2 has a great mission where you infiltrate a Nazi train and start murdering a bunch of Nazis onboard, and then the Nazis get wind of what's going on and pull another train alongside yours on the adjacent tracks and the two trains just start slugging it out and blowing the hell out of each other. In fact, here's some gameplay.

One Wolfenstein-knockoff to avoid is Mortyr. Hooooooly gently caress is it bad. It's got a really, really interesting premise (it starts in a Nazi-controlled 2145 where the Nazis won WWII via superscience occult bullshit, and now in 2145 the world is ending because of all that occult fuckery. So you play a Nazi officer sent back in time to 1945 to make the Nazis lose the war in order to keep the world of the future from ending), it's just got dogshit AI, lousy combat, repetitive levels, and abandons its interesting premise about 15 minutes into the game.

Having said that, the essentially unrelated sequel Mortyr II is actually pretty competent and worth a shot if you're looking for some older FPS Nazi-killin' action. :shobon:

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 06:42 on May 12, 2014

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Dominic White posted:

It also has belt-fed auto shotguns. Which you can dual-wield, just in case you wanted to burn the entire world with a hail of buckshot.

Oh I know, I just like the old fashioned super shotguns a whole lot :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
I'm still completely floored at how great the soundtrack for this game is.

• Locked thread