Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Anywhere I can get a digital version of Wolf 2009 for cheap? Just finished watching YET's LP of the game, and drat I want to play it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I don't think you can get it digitally anywhere because of the IP transferring to Bethesda, and they haven't said anything about releasing it again. I asked on Twitter since they answered regarding the older Fallout games coming back to Steam/GOG but haven't gotten a reply.

There's a whole Steam thread on the New Order forum begging for it back but it got derailed into bitching about CoD clones because one person said Wolf09 was one due to regenerating health :negative:

Zeether fucked around with this message at 11:44 on May 12, 2014

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You might be able to find a cheap amazon copy or something if they have any left.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Zeether posted:

There's a whole Steam thread on the New Order forum begging for it back but it got derailed into bitching about CoD clones because one person said Wolf09 was one due to regenerating health :negative:

PC gamers are some of the most manipulable people on the planet.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would be a lot more fond of CoD if it had nazi laser cannons.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

OwlFancier posted:

I would be a lot more fond of CoD if it had nazi laser cannons.
Nazi Zombies in CoD: World at War and CoD: Black Ops is pretty fun! :shobon:

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

You might be able to find a cheap amazon copy or something if they have any left.

I had a look on Amazon and they still seem to have that mind-boggling 'pricing by scarcity' attitude. £60 for a 5 year old game? :fuckoff:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

This sure is a video game.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Yodzilla posted:

This sure is a video game.
Not just any video game, it's a video game that's fun as hell AND you get to shoot Nazis in the face! In fact, there's a specific gameplay mechanic that rewards you for doing so! :hellyeah:

Sure it's not Crysis 3, but for a game from like 2004 made by some indie Russian developer, it's a hoot.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

This bears a striking resemblance to the train level in Timesplitters 3. Except with Nazis.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.
I've been following New Order since it was announced, as soon as the pre-order went up I bought it, I think it deserves all the money.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Has there been any mention of the difference between the console versions?

Mainly just wondering if the PS4 version is that much better than the PS3 by way of having extra missions or something. I know the PS4 is going to have the better graphics, but I'm kinda half rear end looking for a reason to plunk down the cash on a new console and this might be it...

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

New Order is running on the Rage engine, which had serious problems on the 360 even when rendering somewhat simpler environments. The PS3 has much more limited memory (rather than a shared pool of 512mb RAM, it's 256mb VRAM, 256mb system RAM), so I'd expect any PS3 version will either run or look like rear end.

Just think of the problems Skyrim has on the PS3 and you should have some idea of what could go wrong here.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Dominic White posted:

New Order is running on the Rage engine, which had serious problems on the 360 even when rendering somewhat simpler environments. The PS3 has much more limited memory (rather than a shared pool of 512mb RAM, it's 256mb VRAM, 256mb system RAM), so I'd expect any PS3 version will either run or look like rear end.

Just think of the problems Skyrim has on the PS3 and you should have some idea of what could go wrong here.

That sucks, I was planning to get it from my workplace for PS3.

The 360 version in the developer walkthrough didn't look too bad, though.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

iastudent posted:

The 360 version in the developer walkthrough didn't look too bad, though.

Was that 360? It was rather graphically impressive and ran very smoothly. I'd hazard a guess at XB1 or PC using a 360 gamepad.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Dominic White posted:

Was that 360? It was rather graphically impressive and ran very smoothly. I'd hazard a guess at XB1 or PC using a 360 gamepad.

It says "Xbox 360 (Video Game Platform)" in the video description.

E: Actually it lists a bunch of platforms in the same description so who knows. :shrug:

E2: The button prompts in the video show a green A, red B and blue X, so either it's on 360 or PC with a 360 controller.

iastudent fucked around with this message at 05:13 on May 13, 2014

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I'd personally be very surprised if that was 360 footage. There's not even a hint of texture pop-in, which is kinda the hallmark of the Rage engine on lower-RAM setups, as it's designed around streaming content constantly. PC with 360 pad seems most likely.

Mushball
May 23, 2012
The stream is on a PC with a gamepad because there is a exit to desktop on the menu of the first stream. It looks nice though, but I'm sure high end PCs can push it way further than what we saw so far.

I wish the stream showed some of the more balls out crazy stuff like 1960s super soldiers or that guy in the deus ex styled armor in one of the trailers.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Well, the stream was limited to 720p@30fps. They already reckon that the PS4 version hits 1080@60 consistently, and you can probably squeeze a little more graphical juice out of high-end PCs, too.

No matter what there's likely going to be some low-res textures in there, mainly due to the way that they're created and rendered onto the environment on that engine, but I don't doubt that it's going to be very slick performance-wise. When it was geared towards the 360, the engine did amazing things with very limited hardware. It seems they've tuned it better for higher end systems now.

As for the crazy super-science stuff, it does look like the game keeps up a steady level of escalation. There are some really big robots to fight, and, as you say, it looks like BJ gets a suit of powered exo-armor at one point.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LzV6B6oF7c
machine games streamed a few weeks ago on twitch, here is the collected gameplay from those streams, also beware spoilers for parts of the beginning of the game. it looks awesome.
confirmed: collectibles and dog treats.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 05:33 on May 13, 2014

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
In that one hour preview, is anyone else seeing a "dual knife" option in the weapon wheel? I mean maybe that's how the game shows having multiple knives since you can throw them, but God help me if I can somehow use a knife in each hand and go on a stabbing rampage. Also I'm laughing at BJ being seemingly brought out of his coma by the mere presence of Nazis in his vicinity.

Also, guy above buying Wolfenstein on consoles and trying to decide between versions, if you plan on playing Watch_Dogs on console you might as well buy a PS4 now - the game has like a night and day difference between PS3 and PS4, with the last gen consoles looking muddy and dull.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
RTCW doesn't have dual knife, but knife + kick is basically the cooler version of the same thing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

timeandtide posted:

In that one hour preview, is anyone else seeing a "dual knife" option in the weapon wheel? I mean maybe that's how the game shows having multiple knives since you can throw them, but God help me if I can somehow use a knife in each hand and go on a stabbing rampage. Also I'm laughing at BJ being seemingly brought out of his coma by the mere presence of Nazis in his vicinity.

Also, guy above buying Wolfenstein on consoles and trying to decide between versions, if you plan on playing Watch_Dogs on console you might as well buy a PS4 now - the game has like a night and day difference between PS3 and PS4, with the last gen consoles looking muddy and dull.

BJ is powered by his desire to kill nazis. This is pretty much the best character motivation ever.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I have been playing through Return to Castle Wolfenstein and parts of it are fun and other parts are kind of crap. I think I am playing on medium but some of the enemies in this can be complete bullet sponges. Other than that, it has been a pretty fun game.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

timeandtide posted:

BJ is essentially Joker from The Dark Knight Returns,except his single minded psychopathy isn't so evil. He really hates Nazis and if the nursing staff just showed him pictures of Nazi cruelty, he would have woken up a lot sooner.

E: As for the dual knives, as long as you find another weapon you can possibly dual wield everything.:black101: Also, when this game releases I hope someone makes a two weapon BJ version of Black101.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 11:53 on May 13, 2014

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

blackguy32 posted:

I have been playing through Return to Castle Wolfenstein and parts of it are fun and other parts are kind of crap. I think I am playing on medium but some of the enemies in this can be complete bullet sponges. Other than that, it has been a pretty fun game.
If the bullet sponges you're referring to are the undead zombie assholes, they get a whole lot easier once you get the flamethrower. Light them on fire with a quick burst, and don't even waste a single bullet on them.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Wonder when we'll start seeing reviews and/or opinions? I'm really tempted to pick this up.

Crappers
Jun 16, 2012
I'm oddly excited for this dumb shooter about nazi shootin'. I really hope it's good.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Xenomrph posted:

If the bullet sponges you're referring to are the undead zombie assholes, they get a whole lot easier once you get the flamethrower. Light them on fire with a quick burst, and don't even waste a single bullet on them.

That was one of them, but yeah, you are right. The game got much more manageable once you start getting better weapons.

Just beat the game, and the game became much better in the final sets of levels starting with the X-Labs. That level and the level where you Return to Castle Wolfenstein were two great levels. It was a nice touch that all the soldiers are all beaten up and bloody from fighting the undead in the Castle level.

Also, gently caress Lopers forever.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Crappers posted:

I'm oddly excited for this dumb shooter about nazi shootin'. I really hope it's good.

Ditto - I don't see how they could make it not good. Wolf09 was great - so it's not like there wasn't anything recent to base it off..

Right? ...Right?!

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I think it's ironic a game about killing Nazis could be considered a breath of fresh air in today's stagnated FPS market. That being said, I am pretty excited about this game.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 15:56 on May 13, 2014

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

The final boss of Return to Castle Wolfenstein was way too easy. I thought there would be some kind of trick and that I was wasting ammo, but nope. I just needed to blast him a bunch of times with the Venom gun.

Now I have moved onto the 2009 Wolfenstein. Couldn't find it on PC so I am playing through it on PS3.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Starhawk64 posted:

I think it's ironic a game about killing Nazis could be considered a breath of fresh air in today's stagnated FPS market.

Expansions aside, New Order is the fourth Wolfenstein game in 22 years. They've managed to avoid beating it to death like Call of Duty, so there's still plenty of life in the concept of Dude With Tons Of Guns vs Super-Science Nazis.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Dominic White posted:

Expansions aside, New Order is the fourth Wolfenstein game in 22 years. They've managed to avoid beating it to death like Call of Duty, so there's still plenty of life in the concept of Dude With Tons Of Guns vs Super-Science Nazis.

I think he meant more that it's almost in the WW2 FPS genre. Before the first Modern Warfare came out, the shooter genre was dominated by WW2 games, to the point everyone was sick of them, much like we are with the current trend of "super real hoo ahh tier one high speed operator special forces" bullshit. So as soon as someone shows up with a game where we can kill nazis and nazi robots, we're ecstatic about the change of scenery.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

blackguy32 posted:

In the early levels people shy away from the Sten because of the overheating, but it is far more powerful than the MP40. The zombies are kind of bullet sponges but once I figured out the gimmick of the knights (wait until they lower the shield and then shoot them in the knees) they got a lot easier. And yes, the flamethrower is good for zombie cookin'.

Black Guards wear flak jackets so you really have to concentrate on shooting them in the face. Same with the Venom/Flame troopers.

The forest level is still the worst level.

Ravenicus
Jun 30, 2013
I've been going back to classic fps lately, good to play Wolfenstein 3D. Been playing: Doom (All), Duke Nukem 3D, Shadow Warrior, gonna be working my way up through the ages.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Is it looking like this game is going to be a pretty fun Nazi-shooting-romp or will it be.. Another RAGE? Found a place to pre-order it cheap, but I'd rather not pre-order and waste money while at the same time.. Pre-ordering it for cheaper than it's RRP when it launches! Argh, the curse of marketing.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

IchGestalt posted:

Is it looking like this game is going to be a pretty fun Nazi-shooting-romp or will it be.. Another RAGE?

The devs streamed the entire first hour of gameplay completely uncut. That should be a pretty solid indicator of whether it'll appeal. The levels look a bit linear in the early sections, but gameplay footage from later in the game looks much more open.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

In fairness, RAGE was a really good FPS while it lasted, my only gripe with it is that it felt rushed at the end, but the enemies, guns, sounds, and levels are all really good for the rest of the game. So if this turns out like rage, well, frankly there's a lot worse it could do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Yeah, Rage was a good shooter with a lot of extraneous guff bolted on, like crafting and driving and talking to NPCs. So far there's no hint of anything like that in New Order - it's shooting bridged by cutscenes followed by more shooting - and that's just what the game needs to be.

• Locked thread