Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

As the old thread seems to have died, and the game is about a month away from being released (May 23rd), I figured there should be a thread about this game!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lFkDgse2N4

quote:

Return to the remote island nation of Tropico in the next installment of the critically acclaimed and hugely popular ‘dictator sim’ series. Expand your Dynasty’s reign from the early colonial period to beyond the 21st Century, facing an all-new set of challenges, including advanced trading mechanics, technology and scientific research, exploration and for the first time in Tropico history – cooperative and competitive MULTIPLAYER for up to 4 players.

The Eras – Start your reign during colonial times, survive the World Wars and the Great Depression, be a dictator during the Cold War, and advance your country to modern times and beyond. From the 19th century to the 21st, each era carries its own challenges and opportunities.

The Dynasty – Each member of El Presidente’s extended family is present on the island and may be appointed as a ruler, a manager, an ambassador or a general. Invest in the members of your Dynasty to unlock new traits and turn them into your most valuable assets.

Research and Renovate – Advance your nation by discovering new buildings, technologies and resources. Renovate your old buildings to more efficient modern buildings.

Advanced trade system and trade fleet – Amass a global trade fleet and use your ships to secure trade routes to neighboring islands or world superpowers, both for export and import.

Explore your island – Discover what lies beyond the fog of war. Find valuable resource deposits and explore the ruins of ancient civilizations.

All new art – All artwork has been re-designed from scratch to provide Tropico 5 with a unique visual identity. Choose from over 100 buildings from each of the individual eras.

Cooperative and competitive multiplayer – Up to 4 players can build up their own cities and economies on any given island map. Players can choose to share resources, supplies and population or declare war on each other

Screenshots

Sheng-Ji Yang fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

In related news Tropico 4 is 85% off today on steam ($2.99).

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Apparently you can kinda control your army now. And have tanks crush protests Tiananmen style.

Yeah this is a bump...

Mr. Giggles
Nov 4, 2009
I'm super excited for the multiplayer in this game. Thats all

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

I played the last 2 and was a bit disappointed 4 was kind of a re-hash of 3. I'm hoping 5 introduces something fresh (beyond MP, which looks fun as heck) but even if they don't, I'm a sucker and will still buy it. :negative:

Trading looks like a good start though.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

But Not Tonight posted:

I played the last 2 and was a bit disappointed 4 was kind of a re-hash of 3. I'm hoping 5 introduces something fresh (beyond MP, which looks fun as heck) but even if they don't, I'm a sucker and will still buy it. :negative:

Trading looks like a good start though.

It looks like there is definitely a bigger jump from 4 to 5 than from 3 to 4. 4 seemed like a cash in.

I hope they make the political part a bit more complex and difficult. Really adding difficulty and challenges to the late game, where in previous Tropicos once you stabilized you were good forever, is pretty necessary. Providing reasons to actually be tyrannical would be cool, it was too easy to just be a good guy leader being reelected forever.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

I like how it says all new art but still has the same old palace.

Psygnosis
Jul 30, 2003
How exactly will Multiplayer work? Is it two people on the same island trying to build or two different islands? If it is two different islands can you invade the other player or is it strictly an economic race to a certain amount of money?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Is this going to be an actually new game and not just a remake? I got burnt by the last release.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Davincie posted:

I like how it says all new art but still has the same old palace.

I don't think so.

palace on the left, with the flag

Useless Shotgun
Nov 5, 2010

Well, you can tell by the way I use my walk, I'm a woman's man: no time to talk.
It doesn't look as revolutionary (no pun intended) of a graphical update as I expected, but I can't really complain about having more Tropico to play.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
So stoked for this. Tropico 4 was probably my favorite city builder of the last several years.

Brannock posted:

Is this going to be an actually new game and not just a remake? I got burnt by the last release.

Tropico 4 was quite an improvement over 3. Not worth 30$ if you bought 3, but if you got it on sale, it was good.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer
Is anyone here interested in being part of a 2 or 4 pack preorder on Steam? I've got an additional 10% off coupon for applying for the beta that stacks with the preorder bonus, so can do a 2-pack at ~29 dollars each or the 4-pack at ~25 dollars each, if anyone wants to join in.

1: Palleon - http://steamcommunity.com/id/palleonsa
2: Pez Ez Dispenser - http://steamcommunity.com/id/misterperez/
3: Griz - http://steamcommunity.com/id/fatm0use
4: Bobtista - http://steamcommunity.com/id/tarwedge

Palleon fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Apr 21, 2014

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

I don't think so.

palace on the left, with the flag

What about the palace in the tank screenshot? Looks a lot like the old one. Maybe theres multiple versions?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's a similar style but it's clearly a brand new model.

Age of the Atomic Mom
Oct 15, 2009

I am in for a 4-pack copy. http://steamcommunity.com/id/misterperez/

I put 80 hours in each of Tropico 3 and 4. Just the best chill game to watch stuff expand and watch tv in the background with.

Griz
May 21, 2001

I'll do a 4-pack: http://steamcommunity.com/id/fatm0use

Tropico games are always fun and have the best soundtracks

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Kalypso annoy me a bit. Tropico is an interatively designed series. Like, 3 was basically just a beta version of 4 and 5 is looking like an exansion to 4. And yet the amount of DLC that they're dumping on these things is insane...

Pretty much all the DLC for 4 was either terrible or should have been in the game at release. But hell, at least there wasn't day-one poo poo. Urgh. Will wait until the game of the year edition or something I dunno. I spent a stupid amount of money on Tropico 4.

That said I am excited and I really do want to play this. I just don't feel like buying half a game, I guess. Why is DLC a thing?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The buildings in "modern times" were loving horrible and unbalanced and ruined the game. It's like the whole thing was done by a different team or was a lovely unofficial mod.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Baronjutter posted:

The buildings in "modern times" were loving horrible and unbalanced and ruined the game. It's like the whole thing was done by a different team or was a lovely unofficial mod.

I agree that the benefits from MT buildings were unbalanced as poo poo since there really weren't any tradeoffs. However, if they're building the game around the idea of going from Colonial times to Modern day, there's a good chance its way more balanced than MT.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Also I think the modern times expansion actually was farmed out and wasn't done by the same team that made tropico 4. That explains a lot.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I'd get in on a 4 pack if there's still a space or if anyone wants to start a new one

http://steamcommunity.com/id/tarwedge

Garbo
May 30, 2011
Count me on the train of people disappointed by Tropico 4. Add their crazy expensive "get one building for 10 bucks" dlc and Omerta not inspiring confidence I think ill sit Tropico 5 out.

Also, for the love of god, please add larger roads into Tropico 5. Traffic jams are the bane of my Tropico existence.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

Garbo posted:

Also, for the love of god, please add larger roads into Tropico 5. Traffic jams are the bane of my Tropico existence.

I don't know, I always considered playing urban planner and making sure traffic jams don't happen by placing roads smartly part of the game, and not some oversight.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You have to get pretty game-y to ensure good traffic flow once you have a large population going in 3 or 4 imo

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

But Not Tonight posted:

I don't know, I always considered playing urban planner and making sure traffic jams don't happen by placing roads smartly part of the game, and not some oversight.

Yeah any good city sim should have traffic management as part of it imo, because that's one of the worst effects of poor urban planning so its a logical punishment for not thinking about where you plant stuff. That said a wider road that costs more or something, a la sim city 4 would be apt.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I never noticed bad traffic, but I tend to build my island up in blocks, and only really have traffic chokepoints leading to places almost nobody is headed to anyway, like small mining communities.

Age of the Atomic Mom
Oct 15, 2009

I sent him money, he got me Tropico 5 muy rapido. Thanks! Now the waiting game begins.

primelaw
Apr 4, 2012

The most southern dandy robot judge
Greenmangaming has Tropico 5 preorders 10% off

http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/simulation/tropico-5/

Also if you do this before the 22nd, use this code to get another 10% off

3VUROJ-VOU4IC-RHVA7N

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

In related news Tropico 4 is 85% off today on steam ($2.99).

Should I get this? I love the first game and never played 3 or 4. Will 5 be more of the same, but better, and should I wait for that instead? I understood that 3 got obsolete when 4 came out, so if that's the case for 4 vis a vis 5 I think I'll pass.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
I liked Tropico 3 a lot, but it felt like it hat shown all it had after only 13 hours of play and allthough it seemed to have a lot of content, the depth of the game was really minimal. So I'm a bit reserved for this one, but slightly hopeful.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

Shibawanko posted:

Should I get this? I love the first game and never played 3 or 4. Will 5 be more of the same, but better, and should I wait for that instead? I understood that 3 got obsolete when 4 came out, so if that's the case for 4 vis a vis 5 I think I'll pass.

If you never played 3 or 4, then I'd say 5 will be fresh enough to be worth it.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I just counted 4 as 3.5 so whatever :colbert:

Also to add to that Greenmangaming link, at the time of posting this code works for 20% off O3H7FE-D4NFO0-F0LIGK

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

My biggest problem with T3 and 4 was the political side of it was way too easy. As long as the people were fed and housed every faction was happy, even on the highest difficulty settings. Just having the communists happy should make the capitalists and USA angry and vice versa. Factions should matter more. One time I tried to provoke the dominant faction into rebelling (I had a big army I wanted to see in action), but even when I got their approval down to 0, none of the members cared that much because their personal needs were met. The game should force you to take despotic measures to maintain control, but instead it was far easier to succeed as a good guy.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Tropico 4 did a lot of subtle things right. I think it was great giving each and every faction or world presence a portrait and identity. That and its mini-quest system kept you on your toes.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

bitterandtwisted posted:

My biggest problem with T3 and 4 was the political side of it was way too easy. As long as the people were fed and housed every faction was happy, even on the highest difficulty settings. Just having the communists happy should make the capitalists and USA angry and vice versa. Factions should matter more. One time I tried to provoke the dominant faction into rebelling (I had a big army I wanted to see in action), but even when I got their approval down to 0, none of the members cared that much because their personal needs were met. The game should force you to take despotic measures to maintain control, but instead it was far easier to succeed as a good guy.

Yeah this is my #1 complaint about tropico, way too easy. Why even have all those despotic editcs and buildings when there is absolutely no reason to use them nor is there ever any serious threat? You basically have to master the game and really know your poo poo to finally learn how to even trigger any sort of real rebellions or challenges. There's zero political instability or challenge to the game and it feels like they just totally mis-judged the difficulty settings.

I hope there's actual hard choices and and challenge in 5.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Palleon posted:

Is anyone here interested in being part of a 2 or 4 pack preorder on Steam? I've got an additional 10% off coupon for applying for the beta that stacks with the preorder bonus, so can do a 2-pack at ~29 dollars each or the 4-pack at ~25 dollars each, if anyone wants to join in.

1: Palleon - http://steamcommunity.com/id/palleonsa
2: Pez Ez Dispenser - http://steamcommunity.com/id/misterperez/
3: Griz - http://steamcommunity.com/id/fatm0use
4: Bobtista - http://steamcommunity.com/id/tarwedge

Redeemed mine, thanks! Saved way more on top of the discount because it got me around the exchange rate too, it would have cost almost twice as much to buy direct on steam myself.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah this is my #1 complaint about tropico, way too easy. Why even have all those despotic editcs and buildings when there is absolutely no reason to use them nor is there ever any serious threat? You basically have to master the game and really know your poo poo to finally learn how to even trigger any sort of real rebellions or challenges. There's zero political instability or challenge to the game and it feels like they just totally mis-judged the difficulty settings.

I hope there's actual hard choices and and challenge in 5.

Apparently the changes from the eras were done with the intention of constantly mixing things up, so you don't just reach profitability and then youre stable forever. We'll see.

In my last Tropico 4 game I did a sandbox with difficulty on everything set to max, never built houses so everyone lived in shacks. The only threat was a coup in the first decade, which I did have to alleviate by building a base so at least the soldiers lived ok. Otherwise I was perfectly safe. I wish playing like that (being a terrible dictator) required jailing the opposition and such.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Don't know how long it'll be good for, but GMG has the following code for 25% off: OFU76E-1C6RHK-OX6OMC

Takes the price down to $28.79.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Joke's on you guys, I skipped 4. One day there will be a Tropico game where I can choose to grow llello and ship it to the U.S. under the guidance of a CIA agent. I will get this game if it's not lovely.

Also, Tropico 2 weirdness aside, I want to build a pirate ship again

• Locked thread