Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Nonsense, this is Tropico! El Presidente built those with his own two hands in defense of our glorious country!

And professional soldiers are using molotov cocktails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Demiurge4 posted:

And professional soldiers are using molotov cocktails.

'Grenades' are imperialist propaganda and we do not need to hear about them :colbert:

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Molotovs were used by soldiers during WWII, and that's an era in the game.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Posters in Games are generally ignorant of history.

Also, video games.

Besides, if El Presidente wants rocket launchers in the 18th century, he'll get rocket launchers in the 18th century.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Those castle towers look ok for the colonial era, but even so there's way too many of them and it looks stupid.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Stalins Moustache posted:

I've no idea how to organize this, but anyone interested in buying a 4pack?

I am interested. sent pm

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I'm gonna wait for a Steam sale. I played Omerta and between that and the Tropico 3->4->Modern Times progression I have little faith in the developers to design a good game. The only feature that doesn't sound like a slapped together mess is the eras/building unlocking thing, and even then...

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

N. Senada posted:

I am interested. sent pm

Also interested and have no idea how it works. Pm me.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Beartaco posted:

And it had an amazing campaign mode with those faction leaders. All 3 had was Juanito.

Exactly, the campaign mode was wonderful. Which reminds me, I really need to finish that LP.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Baronjutter posted:

Those castle towers look ok for the colonial era, but even so there's way too many of them and it looks stupid.

And this is why you will be CRUSHED in multiplayer.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I kinda like the towers actually, they look kinda CnC like.

I also like the star forts.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

loving weasel, one of my only achievements not attained, since he did not spawn in any scenarios where my main objectives was to assasinate him.

primelaw
Apr 4, 2012

The most southern dandy robot judge
Greenmangaming has a deal going on right now where you can preorder for $35.99, and if you use ALFIS4-GRATZ0-025GMG before Monday, you get another 25% off, bringing it down to $27

http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/simulation/tropico-5/

Also Indiegala has a sale on Tropico 4 where you can get all the DLC plus the game for $5.99 in case you've never played Tropico before!

http://store.indiegala.com/index.php/tropico-4-collector-s-bundle.html

primelaw fucked around with this message at 20:30 on May 9, 2014

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Der Kyhe posted:

loving weasel, one of my only achievements not attained, since he did not spawn in any scenarios where my main objectives was to assasinate him.
If you're playing the PC version just rename someone Juanito and kill him.

I never got the kill get your clone killed achievement. I just never have it even come up as an option.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

primelaw posted:

Greenmangaming has a deal going on right now where you can preorder for $35.99, and if you use ALFIS4-GRATZ0-025GMG before Monday, you get another 25% off, bringing it down to $27

http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/simulation/tropico-5/

This is by far the best deal you're going to get until the game goes on sale months down the line, so do this. Sadly my card doesn't allow GMG because it's British or something.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
D'oh, I never learn. There's always a better deal tomorrow....

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

Tropico 4 was the first one I played, picking it up on a whim while waiting for the new Sim City to come out (yeah..). And now as I'm getting pretty bored of Banished, I just found out 5 was right around the corner, pretty pumped! :) I pre ordered on steam because a free steam version of 4 and Omerta (which I know nothing about) sounded pretty good.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I'd preorder, but the Mac version is a few months away, soooo…yeah. Gonna have to sit back and let everyone else have their fun first.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

poopzilla posted:

Tropico 4 was the first one I played, picking it up on a whim while waiting for the new Sim City to come out (yeah..). And now as I'm getting pretty bored of Banished, I just found out 5 was right around the corner, pretty pumped! :) I pre ordered on steam because a free steam version of 4 and Omerta (which I know nothing about) sounded pretty good.

Omerta is an OK crime boss simulator with an absolutely terrible combat mode.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007
I was about to complete my pre-order when I realised that I wouldn't want to play this game until it'd be complete, i.e. until all DLC would be out. The last two or three DLCs for Tropico 4 came out after I'd finished the campaign and was bored of sandbox, so I never tried them after buying. Is there any info on how they're spreading the DLC? I hope it won't be over a two-year period, like with the previous game.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Honestly that's the best way to buy games, wait until they are done. I'm an idiot who got in on a 4-pack because SAVINGS and I WANT TO PLAY NOW. But really, everyone should wait like a year after a game comes out and just buy the 50% off GOLD EDITION that comes with all the DLC.

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

Get the hell outta here with your “logic” and “financial responsibility” :rolleyes:

I need to get Dictatin’!

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

It's not like Tropico is the sort of game that has DLC to add more to the game, it's just cheats.

You can't say Plantador is anything but a cheat.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Gamerofthegame posted:

It's not like Tropico is the sort of game that has DLC to add more to the game, it's just cheats.

You can't say Plantador is anything but a cheat.

I dunno, it has downsides, you can't EAT the food the plantations make. I think the DLCs in Tropico 4 were balanced.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

They totally weren't in the slightest. Plantations plus the plantidor trait was just a money printing press. You'd build a plantation as your first building and bam, post-scarcity economy. I'd have loving condos as my first and only housing for my people after the first few boat loads of exports.

Modern times was awful too. Beyond the buildings looking like absolute poo poo that didn't match the tropico style nor the detail/geometric complexity of other things in the game (hooray cube with glass texture!) they were often ridiculously over-powered.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

I think you're missing the forst for the trees. Vanilla introduced imports. You can have post-scarcity after your first ship arrival.

The DLC and Modern Times are just more toys to play around with.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Yeah frankly Vanilla tropico was so easy (Outside of a few campaign missions maybe) that the DLC really doesnt feel like cheating because it just makes a really easy game maybe slightly easier.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I still to this day don't understand why they made the game so easy. Why not have the difficulty sliders mean something? Set everything to super simple/easy and it's like normal tropico. Set everything to hard and maybe actually get a hard game? It's like they built the game around it being hard but then at the last moment made exports worth a fortune and every faction love you no matter what.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

The DLC might not be 'cheating' but they did make an already easy game incredibly easier.

Take the cement factory; it provides jobs, speeds up building construction AND it exports a product. Why would you not build this on every island? I can't remember if the climate control units for the apartments/tenements were part of DLC but its another example of just how much easier Tropico 4 was compared to Tropico 3 or 1.

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 20:59 on May 15, 2014

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Baronjutter posted:

I still to this day don't understand why they made the game so easy. Why not have the difficulty sliders mean something? Set everything to super simple/easy and it's like normal tropico. Set everything to hard and maybe actually get a hard game? It's like they built the game around it being hard but then at the last moment made exports worth a fortune and every faction love you no matter what.

It's just poorly balanced, or designed so that even the worst player gets a nice pat on the back.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Yeah logging camp + mines were already a money printing press and they have a much quicker return than a plantation anyway. You could always go from them straight to industry and skip cash crops altogether if you wanted to.

The DLC didn't break the game any more than it was already broken.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Build order to ruin Tropico 4 for everyone that tries it:

1 - Booze Baron
2 - Set unlimited import limits, import sugar
3 - Build a Rum Distillery right away, send El Presidente to motivate the construction site and the distillery after it completes.
4 - Find all High School and College educated peeps, fire them from their current jobs so they work at the distillery.
5 - First ship arrives and unloads sugar to process
6 - Second ship arrives and loads Rum and unloads sugar to process
7 - Instantly buy the distillery upgrade for spiced rum

From there just build more ports and more distilleries. You'll want between 2 and 2.5 ports for each distillery you have to keep them topped up.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

If the game is actually difficult and the politics make a bit more sense (people can't be a communist and a capitalist at the same time, it's hard to balance everyone concerns, there are actual threats to your power, repression actually does something) and is otherwise pretty much a clone of 4 I'll be happy.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Here's an hour of gameplay

http://www.twitch.tv/kalypsomedia/c/4260717

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

About time, thanks! The video won't play for me though because it seems to be hosted on a potato or something rather than youtube :(

Also those super skinny skyscrapers look terrible and out of place.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 23:10 on May 15, 2014

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Baronjutter posted:

About time, thanks! The video won't play for me though because it seems to be hosted on a potato or something rather than youtube :(

Also those super skinny skyscrapers look terrible and out of place.

Yeah, I don't get why they try and include skyscrapers so much. I never even bought the modern times expansion because all the buildings just look so out of place.

That said the game looks pretty good. There are a lot of new things. I like how you can directly send the army to crush protests or negotiate with them.

e They've really added a lot of stuff. It's a lot bigger jump than 3 to 4.

Sheng-Ji Yang fucked around with this message at 00:26 on May 16, 2014

Dream Attack
Feb 12, 2008

nothing in this world
From that video it looks like all the jobs can have both male and female employees (at least in the era they were showing) so that should make unemployment way less of a hassle. On the other hand it seems that the people voting for you in elections is tied solely to the happiness % rating, which might mean you'll have to rig elections more often in the early game.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

e They've really added a lot of stuff. It's a lot bigger jump than 3 to 4.

Agreed, it's definitely sold me on it.

I like how they commented on the traffic jams but haven't added anything to stop them. Like, you know, highways or doublelaned roads or something.

primelaw
Apr 4, 2012

The most southern dandy robot judge
Waiting for this game has caused me to replay the Tropico 4 story since I never finished.

That video really shows off a lot of stuff that improves upon 4 though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I wonder why they haven't showed anything off of the Eras system, I want to see how the Colonial era looks.

• Locked thread