Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Baronjutter posted:

I hope they give some good advantage to siding with the axis in WWII. We of course know Germany will lose and the US will emerge supreme, and a tiny little axis-aligned island off the coast of Florida would not see its self in the US's good books. So what possible reason would a player have for siding with the axis? Or perhaps between ages all bets are off and the slate is wiped clean. It's not like the US wouldn't forgive and forget literal nazi's if it means advantage against the Soviets.

And do we know what the situation will be like in modern times? No sides, just various countries with no either/or alliances?

Thing is, Tropico is a tiny little insignificant island. Sure, you might not be in the US's good graces in some ways, but in other ways, they really don't give a poo poo. It's not like you were directly attacking them; you're just supplying a very small amount of material in the form of trade goods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Maybe if you really impress them you'll end up getting entrusted with some frozen hitler clones or something.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

El Fürer's Childhood home.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Maybe if you really impress them you'll end up getting entrusted with some frozen hitler clones or something.

So the boys from Brazil? I can support having a squad of Kriegers.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I agree that the sandbox mode of 4 was brain dead easy, but I thought the campaign scenarios had some neat challenges to them.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I guarantee you that there will be some weird alternate-timeline campaign missions where history does not go as planned.

They also might have some really good bonuses for siding with the Nazis. It could be anything from military aid to getting waves of refugees.

IceG
Feb 7, 2006

Bigger than Hitler - Better than Christ

I really like the fact that there are separate difficulty sliders for political and economic difficulty, I always thought that keep everyone happy was way too easy in T4 even on the Campaign maps.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Caufman posted:

If this Greenmangaming coupon still works, it's probably your best deal.

Yes. Just FYI, you get Patrician IV AND Port Royal 3 if you add both to your cart before using the coupon they give you!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

IceG posted:

I really like the fact that there are separate difficulty sliders for political and economic difficulty, I always thought that keep everyone happy was way too easy in T4 even on the Campaign maps.

My #1 wish for the game is that it actually has real meaningful difficulty settings that range from "I'm doing my best but I'm constantly in debt and rebels are tearing my country apart" to "sandox". T4's sliders only went from "extremely easy" to "sandbox". There was no medium let alone hard.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

I hope they give some good advantage to siding with the axis in WWII. We of course know Germany will lose and the US will emerge supreme, and a tiny little axis-aligned island off the coast of Florida would not see its self in the US's good books. So what possible reason would a player have for siding with the axis? Or perhaps between ages all bets are off and the slate is wiped clean. It's not like the US wouldn't forgive and forget literal nazi's if it means advantage against the Soviets.

And do we know what the situation will be like in modern times? No sides, just various countries with no either/or alliances?

Nazi scientists flee to you after the war is over?

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

Semi-related to frozen Hitler clones; I really hope the Academy of Science or whatever it is now can produce a robo-El Presidente rebel killing machine. :psylon:

Arkanterian
Oct 1, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLs3acGYgI1-uVpzE-psQSsMsdLv4nC0ub

For the nerds that are interested, and haven't seen it yet.

(Not me, I wish I had access.)

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Xaris posted:

Yes. Just FYI, you get Patrician IV AND Port Royal 3 if you add both to your cart before using the coupon they give you!
How do I make this work? I tried "ALFIS4-GRATZ0-025GMG" and it wouldn't add the voucher. I found another - FUSWJT-B1DU64-JBV8UY but that is only for 20%.

e:
looks like the 25% voucher has expired, so I used the 20% one and got Port Royale 3 Pirates and Merchants (never heard of it!) for free.

Pumped for Tropico!

TheDK fucked around with this message at 00:00 on May 22, 2014

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
From videos I've seen, it seems way more grid-like. This isn't a bad thing. For example, when you plant a field, your guys will only plant crops on that one location instead of planting them wherever they want, and you won't accidentally remove a possible place to plant crops by making a road, or by erecting a building.

I'd order it if I had the money right now. Alas, I do not. But I can play the prequel.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

I like a lot of what I'm seeing, but also hate a lot of what I'm seeing. Well dislike.
I always liked the idea that you were a crappy struggling banana republic. What the gently caress is any tiny little Caribbean tinpot dictator doing with a full aircraft carrier? I know it makes having air support easy but would just having an airbase building be that much harder? A lot of poo poo in the game just seems out of place for the setting and scale, like the skyscrapers I mentioned before too. They seem so out of place, no one was ever building buildings like that in the region, let alone in some tiny 100-person colony. Obviously poo poo is abstracted to hell but it just throws any sort of believability to the scale out the window. Do the models really need to be so tall? Do those buildings actually have occupancy or employment that much larger than other buildings or did the devs just think it looked cool?

I really hope the game is a bit easier (ie possible) to mod vs previous tropicos. So much of what was wrong with previous games could have so easily been fixed with simple mods. Decrease the value of this and that, increase the capacity of this and the cost of that.

Caribbean nations do have skyscrapers and highrises? Havana before Castro was pretty much a Las Vegas-type city run by the mob for (mostly) American pleasure seekers - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BhMGrdA2Ag. I dig the 50s aesthetic of previous games in this series since it's pretty much Cuba, though still undecided how I feel about its more modern kind of look from some of the screens we have. Maybe I'll just pretend I'm some sort of Panama type nation -

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

yeah, I guess Panama does have a ridiculous skyline of almost out of place pencil towers. I'm just spergin' out more about the massing. I'd be fine with some taller buildings, just not quite THAT tall. Like if all the big modern buildings were maybe only half the height. And if they had some variety. That's something I sadly noticed in the video. In previous tropicos common buildings often had 4 or so different models you could cycle though for variety, I didn't see that at all. Specially for something like a massive view-blocking skyscraper.

That's another reason I'm not a big fan of the skyscrapers, they're so big and form these ugly walls and block your view as the player on your town.
Anyways that's really nitpicky and after these videos I'm super excited about the game.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 16:14 on May 22, 2014

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Sedisp posted:

Nazi scientists flee to you after the war is over?

Actually, generals, scientists, politicians come to your island. You either let them in and piss off Russia and the US or send them back to Berlin and Rome as floating corpses. If you had decided to choose the losing side you can pay up or they invade since they are saving it for Japan

And if you ask, you are simply buying the old carriers, slap a new coat of paint, replace 40's electronics with Chinese electronics and a new engine. Tropican engineering will find a way! Tropican research isn't so much as making new discoveries but reading enough science magazines that you get a rough idea of what you are doing.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

gyrobot posted:

Actually, generals, scientists, politicians come to your island. You either let them in and piss off Russia and the US or send them back to Berlin and Rome as floating corpses. If you had decided to choose the losing side you can pay up or they invade since they are saving it for Japan

And if you ask, you are simply buying the old carriers, slap a new coat of paint, replace 40's electronics with Chinese electronics and a new engine. Tropican engineering will find a way! Tropican research isn't so much as making new discoveries but reading enough science magazines that you get a rough idea of what you are doing.

You mean piss off the US and Russia for poaching the talent they wanted to hire? It was an all-out head-hunting recruitment fair after the war.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

You mean piss off the US and Russia for poaching the talent they wanted to hire? It was an all-out head-hunting recruitment fair after the war.

Whoops, forgot the dark comedy nature of Tropico to forget that the Russians and US are hungry as well. Also, this is a reference to Mengele since he managed to evade the authorities and live out a cushy life in the islands until he bought it.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

This would explain the mad scientist you get in Tropico 4: Modern Times...

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

One thing I'm not sure about is that once you get "upgraded" versions of buildings, if you can still place the old ones. I know with Modern Times, you were locked to placing the new ones, like you were forced to place the pirate ship instead of the regular restaurant.

If I'm making a Tropico without tourists, they don't need pirate ships to dine in. :colbert:

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
:potg:

IAmTheRad posted:

One thing I'm not sure about is that once you get "upgraded" versions of buildings, if you can still place the old ones. I know with Modern Times, you were locked to placing the new ones, like you were forced to place the pirate ship instead of the regular restaurant.

If I'm making a Tropico without tourists, they don't need pirate ships to dine in. :colbert:

In one of the World War era previews I watched, there was still the option to drop colonial forts even though modern barracks were available, as well as colonial country houses as well as normal houses. IIRC there were options to upgrade the country houses to normal houses while leaving both available.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I remember reading somewhere that you can always place any building regardless of era.

Have they said anything about modding? This company has always been pretty anti-mod or at least seemed to design things so that it's extremely difficulty to do so. I don't know if this is to "protect" future DLC or what. But man I'd love to be able to just go and download 5 new house styles to cycle between or what ever.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
So this isn't really the kind of question you can ask until after the release, but I figure I might as well try and see if one of you knows or keeps up better with press releases and demo videos: do we know if the multiplayer in this game is just scenario-based, or can you follow the campaign story? This'll make or break whether I get this for me, or if I treat all my friends, too.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

So this isn't really the kind of question you can ask until after the release, but I figure I might as well try and see if one of you knows or keeps up better with press releases and demo videos: do we know if the multiplayer in this game is just scenario-based, or can you follow the campaign story? This'll make or break whether I get this for me, or if I treat all my friends, too.
Assume not. Usually if they allow campaign coop they use it as a selling point.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Awww man I thought the game would be coming out at midnight tonight but it's going to be more tomorrow late-morning/afternoon. I haven't actually felt excited and impatient about a release date for many years.

Verloc
Feb 15, 2001

Note to self: Posting 'lulz' is not a good idea.
I'm quite excited about this. I played the everliving hell out of Tropico 3 and 4.

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

It’s for the best for me since I have to work tomorrow. But yeah I agree, I’m really pumped for some new Tropico! Gonna nerd it up big time Memorial weekend hunched over my laptop :toot:

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
I don't have work tommorow and it's going to be a rainy day. Bring it on :getin:
It's about 40 minutes to 12 AM here where I live. Will I be able to play then?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

Awww man I thought the game would be coming out at midnight tonight but it's going to be more tomorrow late-morning/afternoon. I haven't actually felt excited and impatient about a release date for many years.
Don't complain, I can't play until seven in the evening. :(
And the weather is going to continue being bad and uncomfortable.

Poil fucked around with this message at 22:33 on May 22, 2014

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~

Stalins Moustache posted:

I don't have work tommorow and it's going to be a rainy day. Bring it on :getin:
It's about 40 minutes to 12 AM here where I live. Will I be able to play then?

If you've gotten it on Steam, no. They unlock games about 10am Pacific time on the day of release, so about 19 hours from the time of this post.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

What's cool is if you leave steam running at home you can log in at work and remotely tell the game to download and install so it's ready to go when you come home!
Also some people are bragging they bought the boxed game early because gently caress steam's later release date. They're going to be pretty upset when they get home.

Obsidius
Nov 18, 2009

If you ever drop your
keys into a river of molten
lava, let 'em go, because
man, they're gone.

Baronjutter posted:

What's cool is if you leave steam running at home you can log in at work and remotely tell the game to download and install so it's ready to go when you come home!
Also some people are bragging they bought the boxed game early because gently caress steam's later release date. They're going to be pretty upset when they get home.

The folks who bought the physical copy should be ok though as they will not have to activate it through Steam and the UPLAY activation maybe available earlier.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Well, no midnight release means that I'm going to send my team home at 2:30 tomorrow and pretend it's for the holiday weekend. El Presidente is a benevolent and glorious leader.

So I guess everybody wins, except for those of us who thought digital distribution would revolutionize impulse buying. Curse you waiting for things, curse you :argh:

Phanos
Jul 24, 2006
So who made the sandwiches?
So Ars Technica put out a review for Tropico 5 a few hours ago: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/05/tropico-5-review-empire-building-with-a-bit-too-much-guidance/

I can't say I'm too surprised that its a mixed bag. I didn't pre-order but now I'm a little hesitant to buy it.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Ether Frenzy posted:

Well, no midnight release means that I'm going to send my team home at 2:30 tomorrow and pretend it's for the holiday weekend. El Presidente is a benevolent and glorious leader.

So I guess everybody wins, except for those of us who thought digital distribution would revolutionize impulse buying. Curse you waiting for things, curse you :argh:

Ordinarly I'd get to go home early, but my boss specifically asked me to schedule a later meeting. Oh well, at least it'll give time for the game to download, right?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Reviews of the game haven't given me a big hope for the game. It seems like reviews are saying the refinements to the game are as much like Tropico 3 going into Tropico 4. Well, if it goes around $20 (or if I get gifted it, of course), I'll probably pick it up then. I doubt reviews have tried out the multiplayer features.

Reviews and videos can only do so much for the game. If they drop a demo, even if it just has the colonial era, I'd grab it to give the new gameplay a chance. Seems like it'll be easier to build a town, as the grid system will help you build towns, and the videos I've seen has farm plots with a specific size, so you can maximize your space and not accidentally put a building on a crop, or making a pasture for livestock too small.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Phanos posted:

So Ars Technica put out a review for Tropico 5 a few hours ago: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/05/tropico-5-review-empire-building-with-a-bit-too-much-guidance/

I can't say I'm too surprised that its a mixed bag. I didn't pre-order but now I'm a little hesitant to buy it.

This seems like an easy fix: ignore the quests. That's pretty much what I did in 4.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

"too difficult to fail"

gently caress, that's the ONE thing I wanted.

\/ I was really hoping for difficulty sliders that made the game borderline impossible. Where simply surviving to the modern age would be a serious achievement.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 06:41 on May 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

This seems like an easy fix: ignore the quests. That's pretty much what I did in 4.

Yeah that struck me as kind of silly. Entirely optional quests don't really take away player agency.

Baronjutter posted:

"too difficult to fail"

gently caress, that's the ONE thing I wanted.

Hasn't Tropico always been too difficult to fail without imposing limitations on yourself?

• Locked thread