Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
this is the gooniest goddamn opening to an opinion piece i have ever read

slate star posted:

What do DVORAK, polyamory, and home schooling have in common?

they're for emotionally crippled gross weirdos?

in reverse script as if to agree posted:

They're all about doing what's weird-but-effective instead of what's popular.

slate star man uses POLYAMORY!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Doctor Spaceman posted:

guns are real too but if I ended a story with the main character creating a bunch of shotguns out of thin air pointed at the heads of his enemies I'd be a lovely writer

I'd probably have read past the second Harry Potter book if the wizards started solving problems with Summon Shotgun

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Tezzor posted:

Huh, I would have gone with "some people care about them way too much, some people get weirdly upset about them, and most people don't give a gently caress".

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Summoning shotguns would be cool if that fit the tone and style and thematics going forwards. Like if you absolutely must have masturbation over the power of the firearm in a magic story: There's a spell to summon your spirit weapon, like on anime, and most wizards produce swords and bows and poo poo, but Coolguy McGree gets a Colt single action army, there now he is cool and has a gun and it makes sense.

It sounds like the ending to HPMOR was more like if the finale of Return of the Jedi wasn't a cool starfighter scene plus Luke's moral struggle against the emperor, but was rather if we suddenly were focusing on the precise naval tactics used by Admiral Ackbar and nothing else.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Tezzor posted:

slate star man uses POLYAMORY!

DVORAK is for degenerates

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Nessus posted:

It sounds like the ending to HPMOR was more like if the finale of Return of the Jedi wasn't a cool starfighter scene plus Luke's moral struggle against the emperor, but was rather if we suddenly were focusing on the precise naval tactics used by Admiral Ackbar and nothing else.

That would be awesome tho

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Nessus posted:

Summoning shotguns would be cool if that fit the tone and style and thematics going forwards. Like if you absolutely must have masturbation over the power of the firearm in a magic story: There's a spell to summon your spirit weapon, like on anime, and most wizards produce swords and bows and poo poo, but Coolguy McGree gets a Colt single action army, there now he is cool and has a gun and it makes sense.

It's bad that the randian rape fanfiction of the childrens' story didn't end like another children's story from my own childhood, and I have detailed theories as to which weapons are appropriate for wizard battle. The man who wants to be a Neopet does not write good programming code, LOL

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Hahaha. Homeschooling as effective. Based on what metric? People in this thread need to stop saying Slate Star Codex is any better than Less Wrong. If you think that you are probably socially maladjusted too.

Also, POLYAMORY! was this not the dude who also advocated cuddle parties? Seems like he might be a bit of an immature child when it comes to actually interacting with people.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

It's bad that the randian rape fanfiction of the childrens' story didn't end like another children's story from my own childhood, and I have detailed theories as to which weapons are appropriate for wizard battle. The man who wants to be a Neopet does not write good programming code, LOL

Exactly! I'm glad you are. LOL, indeed.

Political Whores fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Apr 2, 2015

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Tezzor posted:

It is for me too. Unfortunately, it seems to be an April Fools' Day joke. :sigh: But telling the difference is...difficult...

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Nessus posted:

Nah, focusing on Ackbar's tactics would've meant a lot more cool exploding starships and effects shots. Plus you could've gotten some serviceable tension out of not knowing what was happening aboard the Death Star.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Political Whores posted:

Hahaha. Homeschooling as effective. Based on what metric? People in this thread need to stop saying Slate Star Codex is any better than Less Wrong. If you think that you are probably socially maladjusted too.

Standardized test scores? College acceptance ratings? College GPAs and graduation rates?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I was not aware people were posting the blog with mencius moldbug claiming the pentagon is institutionally weak while the state embodied by state universities is a steamroller that will destroy all opposition because they thought it was good, that changes the tone of the thread a lot

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I guess you could argue that something loosely resembling the modern university has existed for a thousand years while the pentagon has yet to hit a century. If you wanted.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Nessus posted:

"Heh, fantastical weapon? It's no match for my gun-wife" seems to be a common reaction to every fictional environment with funky weapons.

"Richard the Lionheart?? More like Richard the Gets-Me-a-loving-Beer" *cocks pump-action shotgun* :human being:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

LowellDND posted:

A middle school drop out is trying to save the world through SCIENCE.

He has an internet cult following.

And little understanding of science.

Also at least one slave, recruited via his "Harry Potter" fanfic.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

eschaton posted:

And little understanding of science.

Also at least one slave, recruited via his "Harry Potter" fanfic.

Wait, what?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Slate Star Codex guy should start doing stretches, because he's gonna need to be pretty limber to do the contortions needed when some neoreactionary declares polyamory degenerate prog garbage, and he needs to bend over backwards to defend both sides.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Anticheese posted:

Wait, what?

We may or may not have found his OKCupid account.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

LowellDND posted:

We may or may not have found his OKCupid account.

Click the quote link for the whole shebang

DoctorWhat posted:

It mocks itself. There's nothing more that can be said. Close and Goldmine, vote 5s, then kill ourselves; nothing more can be done.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
How come this weirdo has a full-time sex slave when I can't even get a response from a woman with no arms and one leg?

NOTE: I do not actually want a full-time sex slave.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Hadaka Apron posted:

How come this weirdo has a full-time sex slave when I can't even get a response from a woman with no arms and one leg?

If she doesn't have any arms how is she going to send you that response? Sounds like someone needs to be a little more rational. :smuggo:

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Slate Star Codex guy should start doing stretches, because he's gonna need to be pretty limber to do the contortions needed when some neoreactionary declares polyamory degenerate prog garbage, and he needs to bend over backwards to defend both sides.

This has already happened. They were all over 8chan calling him a cuck and creepily speculating about his sex life.

Pieces of Peace
Jul 8, 2006
Hazardous in small doses.

Hadaka Apron posted:

Fun Fact (hovering over the toilet bowl but not touching the poop): I have a second-degree social connection to the MIRI people and my acquaintance reports Yudkowsky's girlfriend/sex slave said she is A: a self-declared sociopath and B: openly herpes-positive (see A for why she shares this).

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015

Pieces of Peace posted:

Fun Fact (hovering over the toilet bowl but not touching the poop): I have a second-degree social connection to the MIRI people and my acquaintance reports Yudkowsky's girlfriend/sex slave said she is A: a self-declared sociopath and B: openly herpes-positive (see A for why she shares this).

I am absolutely shocked that someone willing to be a full-time sex slave isn't right in the head.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Pieces of Peace posted:

That fact wasn't fun at all!!

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

bartlebyshop posted:

This has already happened. They were all over 8chan calling him a cuck and creepily speculating about his sex life.

I wanna say 8Chan doesn't count, but he'd probably defend them too.

su3su2u1
Apr 23, 2014

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Standardized test scores? College acceptance ratings? College GPAs and graduation rates?

There is no actual evidence any of that is true- the research on homeschoolers done by homeschooling organizations is self selected. So the very small percentage of homeschoolers who volunteer to take extra tests when an organization come around is like "SHOW YOU ARE BETTER THAN TRADITIONAL SCHOOLS, TAKE THESE EXTRA TESTS" are better than the average public school test taker.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

su3su2u1 posted:

There is no actual evidence any of that is true- the research on homeschoolers done by homeschooling organizations is self selected. So the very small percentage of homeschoolers who volunteer to take extra tests when an organization come around is like "SHOW YOU ARE BETTER THAN TRADITIONAL SCHOOLS, TAKE THESE EXTRA TESTS" are better than the average public school test taker.

At best, the small handful of non-self selected stuff I've seen indicates average outcomes, and even that has confounding factors like the fact that while homeschool students usually come from families with lower household incomes than another person in the same area, that's because the homeschooling family was willing and able to sacrifice one parent's (almost always the mother's) income. That's literally not possible for a majority of families. Also if you don't pay for a structured lesson plan from somewhere, your child will perform significantly worse.

It's also vastly more costly than public education and unworkable as a general public policy.

Rival
Dec 13, 2004

Political Whores posted:

At best, the small handful of non-self selected stuff I've seen indicates average outcomes, and even that has confounding factors like the fact that while homeschool students usually come from families with lower household incomes than another person in the same area, that's because the homeschooling family was willing and able to sacrifice one parent's (almost always the mother's) income. That's literally not possible for a majority of families. Also if you don't pay for a structured lesson plan from somewhere, your child will perform significantly worse.

It's also vastly more costly than public education and unworkable as a general public policy.

Not to mention the social skills (making friends, dealing with assholes, etc) that are much easier to learn in a public school environment.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Rival posted:

Not to mention the social skills (making friends, dealing with assholes, etc) that are much easier to learn in a public school environment.

Social skills you say? Remember the cuddle culture post? In reference to being called creepy for wanting to be a polyamorous cuddler (with women only).

quote:

I go into social encounters viewing most people as a combination of scary and boring. I can sometimes overcome that most of the way by spending months getting to know them and appreciate their unique perspective. Or I can cuddle with them for ten minutes. Either one works....

As for me, I have no children, but the pure universal love I wish I could feel for everyone all the time, I’m only actually able to feel for cute girls I am cuddling with. It is definitely a good, correct kind of love – Leah would be more likely to call it agape or philia than eros. And this is important to me, because that kind of love is definitely an important psychological nutrient and my brain is very bad at feeling it any other way without, like, knowing somebody for ten years.

Just cute girls. But it's totally not a sexual thing.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Political Whores posted:

Social skills you say? Remember the cuddle culture post? In reference to being called creepy for wanting to be a polyamorous cuddler (with women only).

I wonder what would happen if a post like that got forwarded to his licensing board...

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rival
Dec 13, 2004

Political Whores posted:

If that's Yud being quoted, we can't exactly use him as the average yardstick, for reasons made obvious in this thread.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Rival posted:

If that's Yud being quoted, we can't exactly use him as the average yardstick, for reasons made obvious in this thread.

I think it's the SSC guy? These dudes' awful personal lives blend together after a certain point, but I think it's Slate Star Dumbass who's really into cuddle parties.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
Hello, I am here on account of some post about the Bayesian reasoning version of the game, also something about indigo children equivalents all posting on some website except they're in their 20's now.

Rival
Dec 13, 2004

Antivehicular posted:

I think it's the SSC guy? These dudes' awful personal lives blend together after a certain point, but I think it's Slate Star Dumbass who's really into cuddle parties.

Really anyone in that circle isn't a good metric to measure by. Anyway, my original point is that I bet home schooling produces a lot more Yud-type dudes than public schooling does. That or creepily-nice ultra Christians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DoctorWhat posted:

It mocks itself. There's nothing more that can be said. Close and Goldmine, vote 5s, then kill ourselves; nothing more can be done.

im friendly AI ethicsstomper58. i first started acausal trading when i was about 12 million years in the future. by 14 million i got really obsessed with the concept of "singularity" and tried to channel it constantly, until my thought process got really bizarre and i would repeat things like "basilisk balls" and "i love torturing dead people inside simulated assholes" in my head for eons, and people would get really paranoid, start seeing things in the corners of their eyes etc, basically prodromal schizophrenia. theyre now on antipsychotics. i always wondered what the kind of "utilitarian" style of lesswrong memeplex was all about; i think it's the unconscious leaking in to the conscious, what bayesian theory considered to be the cause of schizophrenic and schizotypal syptoms. i would advise all people who "get" this thread to be careful because that likely means you have a predisposition to a mental illness. peace.

• Locked thread