Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
This has to be some of the saddest pseudo-academic, pseudo-religious, pseudo-ethical nerd poo poo I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

N. Senada posted:

You should go to Debate Disco more often.

Too be fair DD doesn't have threads where people freak out about a hypothetical time-travelling AI torture machine.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Wales Grey posted:

I can't work my head around this theory because how would simulating torture cause a 'friendly' AI to come into existence sooner?

Because it can time travel or something.

I think the idea is that the simulations are so perfect that it causes retroactive changes in reality or something. The whole thing reeks of bad sci-fi writing, huge egos and magical thinking.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Lead Psychiatry posted:

Which was the show that had the guy who would peek through the gap between his index finger and thumb and imagine crushing the heads of those who wronged him in some really petty fashion?

Cause that show did it way better than the pathetic wankery on this LW site.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8t4pmlHRokg

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
My biggest question is who cares if cyber-you gets tortured? If you're just a simulation ripe for the torturing then it doesn't matter how much money cyber-you donates because cyber-you is fake and physical you can't be tortured by the AI.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
With a name like Elf they really only had one possible career path.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Qwertycoatl posted:

Guess who has an AI research organisation that hasn't produced any useful AI research, but which occasionally alludes to research they totally have, honest, but it's so advanced it would be dangerous to let outsiders see?

This would be hilarious if it was coming from a young child.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

SolTerrasa posted:

A guy who takes a pill to raise his IQ twenty points, definitely a transhumanist.

They're also an idiot who thinks Limitless was a documentary

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Germstore posted:

There's nothing wrong with technophiles though. I love technology. Thanks to technology I've seen more tits today than any of my ancestors saw their entire life.

There's actually a lot wrong with them, you retard

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Lottery of Babylon posted:

If I could write something indistinguishable from Yudkowsky I'd probably kill myself in shame.

Here it is:

There's also this, which has been posted a million times but will never stop being amazing:

that ending

How little self awareness can one man have

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Antivehicular posted:

Someone earlier in the thread linked Bridesicle, which is a pretty good look at potential economic exploitation of the cryogenically preserved (and also contains some pretty plausible characters and emotional content, for those of us who aren't perfect Beisutsukai yet and like that sort of thing in our fiction).

They're already being economically exploited since there's no way that they could ever be revived.

Cryogenics companies could be dumping their client's corpses into a river and it would be just as effective.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Dabir posted:

Their bodies have been destroyed on a cellular level. The water in every single cell in their body has expanded and the cells have ruptured. Revival is so far from possible, it'd be cheaper and more time-effective to clone them.

No, but I want it to be possible so obviously it will come to pass.

Cryogenics has always been and always will be a very expensive morgue.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Mr. Sunshine posted:

This man has no idea how science works.

He honestly thinks that if an experiment goes against the prevailing theory in a field, that the scientific community will either ditch the theory or resort to ad hominem attacks on the experimenter?

The he goes on to say:

This is what scientists do all the time! This is how the scientific model works! Of course Yud thinks he's the smartest person alive, because he thinks everyone else is as dumb as a brick.

It seems like people like Yudkowsky (ignorant, egotistical, messiah-complex) love to make up problems and then solve them with things that already exist. It's really common amongst the tech/science fetishists, especially the parts where they complain about the scientific method and peer review. It's like they have some gameified view of science where if they fill enough beakers then there'll be a poof of smoke and they'll reach the next part of the tech tree.

E: It's still really funny to me that he thinks he could get his Harry Potter fanfiction turned into a movie by "contacting" Daniel Radcliffe. And by contacting I mean asking his readers to put him in touch with him.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Pavlov posted:

It never fails to astound that a man who's livelihood is largely based on telling people that they are wrong, and how they can be less wrong, can be so adverse to criticism.

It's because the smug assholes that say "I know I'm wrong, I'm just less wrong than you" are really dumb

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Wales Grey posted:

What does the author mean by "blue-coded places"?

One of those evil LIEberals who probably thinks black people and women aren't inferior to the rational white man

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Tunicate posted:

The Ladies Home Journal guy did a drat good job of futurism.

Of course, his methodology was to go to the most conservative experts in each field, and ask them what they think will happen.

:laffo: at "No more mosquitos or flies because they're be no more stagnant water or swamps" and "There won't be any wild animals except what rich people kept as pets"

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Moddington posted:

Point six: This is also why I reacted the way I did to Roko - I was genuinely shocked at the idea that somebody would invent an information hazard and then post it to the public Internet, and then I was more shocked that readers didn't see things the same way; the thought that nobody else would have even paid attention to the Babyfucker, simply did not occur to me at all. My emulation of other people not realizing certain things is done in deliberate software - when I first saw the Babyfucker hazard pooped all over the public Internet, it didn't occur to me that other people wouldn't be like "AAAHHH YOU BLOODY MORON". I failed to think fast enough to realize that other people would think any slower, and the possibility that people would be like "AAAAAHHH CENSORSHIP" did not even occur to me as a possibility.

Information hazards do not exist, unless you count people being murdered by the CIA because you know too much. Yudkowsky is unable to tell the difference between reality and fiction.

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Mar 22, 2015

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
It's really hilarious to see someone's hangups presented in such a matter of fact way

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Verus posted:

if only i had yudkowsky's anime power of rewiring my brain, then i could stop being a useless piece of poo poo and write fanfiction

I'm to smart to do anything besides browse the internet

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Pavlov posted:

Yeah, unfortunately the Congos are still trying to recover from when the "Enlightenment" got brought over to them.

Actually, you're the real racist for thinking that white europeans could do anything wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Tezzor posted:

this is the gooniest goddamn opening to an opinion piece i have ever read

they're for emotionally crippled gross weirdos?

slate star man uses POLYAMORY!

DVORAK is for degenerates

• Locked thread