Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?
And no one has countered his arguments by proposing to construct an AI that will digitally clone copies of people to shake in their boots for the real people?

How many utilons will that cost?

Djeser posted:

Yudkowsy really, REALLY likes that kind of argument. It showed up like three times in the post I made. He thinks that in any possible situation, a very large number of repeated trials makes up for effectively impossible scenarios.

This only makes his insanity official.

Lead Psychiatry fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Apr 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

For Cheshire Cat: Wheeler's Delayed Choice.

Dust vs Torture itself is a really insanely loving stupid version of the Ticking Time Bomb scenario.

Which really is insanely loving stupid.

I mean, you have to be a special kind of broken individual to take a hypothetical about justifying torture to save lives and destroy it to make a hypothetical about justifying torture to spare people from having to rub their eye a few times.

Lead Psychiatry fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Apr 20, 2014

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

Which was the show that had the guy who would peek through the gap between his index finger and thumb and imagine crushing the heads of those who wronged him in some really petty fashion?

Cause that show did it way better than the pathetic wankery on this LW site.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

An AI that goes and simulates me for torture would be kinda cool to have at a Six Flags amusement park as a momentary distraction between rides. Plus with the right instruction set (Or the term would be to define its capabilities) you could have it also do caricaturist and themed photography stuff to make more room for more attractions!

Lead Psychiatry fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Apr 22, 2014

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

Lottery of Babylon posted:

You would rather have one person tortured for 50 years than a thousand people tortured for 49 years each.

This makes sense though since the amount of pain is diminished greatly. It's only one person suffering immense pain. Think of the resources that would be required to actually torture him vs. a thousand people. You can also factor in the resource to help the people recover afterwards.

The reasoning is just plain loving stupid when compared to a speck of dust since it's likely to expect everyone who has ever lived to 20 years has gotten something in their eye at least a hundred times already. They've survived it easily and moved on without any lasting psychological or physical damage. You can chalk it up to "poo poo Happens" so there's no reason to act like people can be spared from it.

I wonder why the hell the people who defend torture in this scenario are arbitrarily picking their numbers when 1:1 should suffice. Surely they know torture is the way bigger negative between the two. It doesn't matter how many eye rubs are being accumulated over thousands of people. It just doesn't compare in any way.

• Locked thread