Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Bones
Jan 2, 2011

ain't no law says a skeleton can't play the blues
Video games. They exist. They're pretty popular, too. Popular enough that game companies frequently whore out their characters and properties for various tie-ins and promotional items, like these!

Every movie needs a sountrack album, even ones as obscure as the Japan-only 1986 Super Mario Bros. animated movie! Apparently before Nintendo made their Hollywood debut with a movie where Eddie Valiant fights Frank Booth in the Blade Runner city, they decided to take a more traditional approach with this Sanrio animated feature. From what I recall it featured a terrible pop song that played whenever there'd be a moment of silence in any other movie, so if you're really keen to hear it in stereophonic hi-fi, I'm sure this album has it. It also has an accompanying picture book which for some reason has a bunch of English swearing in it. If you've ever wanted to see Mario say "poo poo" on a piece of official Nintendo-endorsed merchandise, welp, now's your chance.

Here's some kind of promotional pin for a home construction company called Beazer Homes based in Atlanta. I'm guessing these were given away as part of some sort of program to warn kids against playing on construction sites. Play Nintendo instead, in your spacious, luxurious, affordable Beazer Home! 99% of Beazer Homes' Wikipedia page is about various mortgage fraud scandals, so maybe they were less concerned about children's safety and more with not getting their asses sued.

A N64-branded AM/FM radio plus a bonus pair of binoculars. Why? Beats me. Nintendo had a strange habit of slapping the N64 logo on anything and everything back in the day, and this is just one example.

While we're on the subject of binoculars, here's a pair featuring everyone's favourite last-ditch Turbografx mascot attempt, Zonk! Apparently there was a point where you could buy a brand new Turbografx-16 for just $70, and they included these cheap little toy binoculars in the box. I guess they figured once you got sick of playing Keith Courage and realized that there weren't any stores that even sold Turbografx games anymore, you'd need something fun to do.

Post more weird stuff!

e: edited for more content

Mr. Bones has a new favorite as of 08:21 on Apr 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

My favorite McDonalds kids meal toy was a little spring-loaded Goomba with a suction cup where his groin would be that would stick to the base and allow you to set him ready to spring and then put him somewhere on a time-delay.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Lotish posted:

My favorite McDonalds kids meal toy was a little spring-loaded Goomba with a suction cup where his groin would be that would stick to the base and allow you to set him ready to spring and then put him somewhere on a time-delay.

I had this toy. Pretty sure Goombas can't jump.

I Love My Axe
Dec 30, 2009

Let's go Blue Pants!
Probably one of my favorite things ever. No idea why Sony would make a PlayStation 2-themed George Foreman grill.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
I like this cold cast of the opera scene from Final Fantasy VI. Only 3000 were made.

I also won a Yoshi cap in a radio contest about 20 years ago, and I gave it to my niece a while back. This isn't the exact same one but it's pretty close.

Mr. Bones
Jan 2, 2011

"gently caress you, Tommy, you're an Asteroid this year."

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Manfrompoot posted:

"gently caress you, Tommy, you're an Asteroid this year."

Lord Humungus as a child.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I Love My Axe posted:

Probably one of my favorite things ever. No idea why Sony would make a PlayStation 2-themed George Foreman grill.

Wasn't there someone who turned their PS3 into a grill?

:googles:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I bought this Mario Kart clock radio at a JC Penney discount store for 5 dollars in like 2004. I also bought a Codebreaker cheat disc for the Sega Dreamcast there that trip.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
I have the HMD shirt for pre-ordering Viewtiful Joe:

I love it because it's what he wears in the game. It's like everyday cosplay and nobody has to know.

Dogan
Aug 2, 2006
There's a place online where you can buy an original Earthbound SNES cartridge made out of soap. It turned up as a Secret Santa gift last year.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
GIS is failing me. I tried to look up to see if I could find any pictures of this extremely limited but :effort: pin I have. As a kid my mom and I took a vacation to the Mall of America, and just so happened to be there when they were holding an event for the US debut of Super Mario All Stars. I got a pin for being one of the first 100 kids to try it. IIRC it's still at my mom's house with all the other buttons I collected as a kid. It's orange, star shaped, and just has the game logo on it.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

Lotish posted:

I have this somewhere but it's raccoon Mario. :shobon:

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
I had this as a kid.

It's a tabletop game where you swing ladders around to make Mario and Luigi move up and down. It sucked.

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX
Oh man, nice av I drew that :haw: I've considered making a plush Orz with a voicebox but I hate figuring out patterns, I wish Star Control had official merchandise.

How about obscure memorabilia from an even more obscure video game?

These are some figures from the Japanese-only "Keitai Denjuu Telefang" for Game Boy, which became infamous when it was pirated as the poorly-translated "Pokémon Diamond and Jade". The figures are the only merchandise ever made for the games, which sadly weren't that popular even in Japan. I bought them for the equivalent of a dollar a piece, the shipping cost far more than they did combined (they're surprisingly large.)

I had them enjoying some curry for this photo :kimchi:

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I had this:

It may still be in storage, but I don't remember seeing it last time.

This is definitely in storage, as well as the program. Ice Capades came to a nearby town. The Mario part let kids get into brick/question mark boxes and ride around for a minute. I ran down there with a bunch of others. A local TV host said we would be the next ones allowed to do it, but they only let one group of kids total ride.

I ate this as a child because Nintendo. It was two different cereal packs in one.

I could still sing along with part of the ad, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REpiQnnp6p8

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

Voltin Bolt posted:

Oh man, nice av I drew that :haw: I've considered making a plush Orz with a voicebox but I hate figuring out patterns, I wish Star Control had official merchandise.

My boyfriend just started playing Star Control and I'm in love with the aliens. If you ever make plush Orz with voicebox please let me know we will buy 2, for serious.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

This is definitely in storage, as well as the program. Ice Capades came to a nearby town. The Mario part let kids get into brick/question mark boxes and ride around for a minute. I ran down there with a bunch of others. A local TV host said we would be the next ones allowed to do it, but they only let one group of kids total ride.

Tangentially related, but here's a video of Mario Ice Capades, hosted by Alyssa Milano and Jason "Video Prince" Bateman. It also has Mr. Belvedere as King Koopa, just to add to the insanity: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fuuhn2cfVUE

Aphtonites
Dec 25, 2012

Sure, Jailbot was broken, but
weren't we all at some point? :(
There were a ton of strange compilation albums with Sonic slapped on them during the 90's.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

Aphtonites posted:

There were a ton of strange compilation albums with Sonic slapped on them during the 90's.

That can't be licensed by Sega, can it? I have a hard time thinking that Sega would allow Sonic on the cover of something that contains the phrase Tokyo Ghetto Pussy.

Voltin Bolt posted:

Nice! I really like the drawing! I didn't know where it came from, it was just the first decent image I could find when I GISed "Orz." If you ever made the plush of the Orz, I'd be totally jealous of it. If there was Star Control merchandise, I'd be broke.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

FrumpleOrz posted:

That can't be licensed by Sega, can it? I have a hard time thinking that Sega would allow Sonic on the cover of something that contains the phrase Tokyo Ghetto Pussy.

Apparently yes!

http://www.discogs.com/Various-Sonic-Dance-Power-VI/release/258614

Wait I misread that. I meant yes its real. Licensing? No clue.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

FrumpleOrz posted:

I had this as a kid.

It's a tabletop game where you swing ladders around to make Mario and Luigi move up and down. It sucked.

I had this! It did suck.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

How about some delicious Sonic ketchup?

Also this rad bath gel:

I had one of those on my window ledge for so long it faded into a weird orange Sonic.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Frankston posted:

I had one of those on my window ledge for so long it faded into a weird orange Sonic.

Carotenosis the Hedgehog. Original character, do not steal.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Gann Jerrod posted:

Tangentially related, but here's a video of Mario Ice Capades, hosted by Alyssa Milano and Jason "Video Prince" Bateman. It also has Mr. Belvedere as King Koopa, just to add to the insanity: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fuuhn2cfVUE

This is insane and I love it. Luigi just blowing away baddies with a bazooka...thing was the highlight.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

It was a bubble bath, the "screen" had cups and balls and the buttons pushed jets of water up which would move the balls about.

Gold plated Pokemon cards you could get from Burger king for a limited time. My Mum told me they were real gold when I was a kid, which thinking about it now seems unlikely.

Does anybody else remember those other (as in not the trading card) Pokemon cards, they were big and made of a heavy card stock. I would often get them from well meaning family friends who knew I was into pokemon cards.

edit: welp http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/1999_Burger_King_promotional_Pok%C3%A9mon_toys

quote:

"There were also a set of six 23-karat gold plated cards which came in Poké Balls"

Tea Bone has a new favorite as of 15:57 on May 4, 2014

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Tea Bone posted:

It was a bubble bath, the "screen" had cups and balls and the buttons pushed jets of water up which would move the balls about.

Gold plated Pokemon cards you could get from Burger king for a limited time. My Mum told me they were real gold when I was a kid, which thinking about it now seems unlikely.

Does anybody else remember those other (as in not the trading card) Pokemon cards, they were big and made of a heavy card stock. I would often get them from well meaning family friends who knew I was into pokemon cards.

edit: welp http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/1999_Burger_King_promotional_Pok%C3%A9mon_toys

Hoooooly poo poo. I thought that bubble bath thing was a dream. No one else I know had any idea of what I was talking about.

Still have my Mewtwo pokeball and card. It was the only one I ever got and decided to never try for another.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer

Tea Bone posted:

You might be referring to the Topps cards?

Burger King also had a card stock set that came with the toys but they were often bent and greasy from the kid's meal and tore when we opened them. Also, some dumb kids managed to suffocate on the plastic Pokeballs so BK did a recall where they offered a free small fry for every Pokeball returned to the store. I don't know a single kid that actually returned their toys.

Also, I can't find a picture of it on Google, but Nintendo Power had a contest for Mario Kart 64 where if you beat 1 minute and 35 seconds on Mario Raceway, you could enter to win a golden N64 controller and second prize was a 5-minute prepaid long distance calling card. I've got the controller and that's not obscure, but I lost the card ages ago because even in 1997 nobody gave a poo poo about 5 minutes of free long distance.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I ate this as a child because Nintendo. It was two different cereal packs in one.

I could still sing along with part of the ad, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REpiQnnp6p8

I liked how when SMB 2 and Adventure of Link came out, they rereleased the cereal with new box art reflecting the new games.

Golden Dragon
Apr 9, 2007

Always speak politely to an enraged Dragon
Google doesn't have any pictures, and I am too lazy to find a camera, but I have two t-shirts for MMORPGs that were never released.
Fallen Age, which I was in the beta for. When it was canceled a could choose between a beta invite into Dark Age of Camelot, or a t-shirt.

Dragon Empires. Never got into the beta for that. Bought the shirt on e-bay from someone who worked on the game, for a whole Ł0.01. I also think I still have a signed poster of that game, which I won in a limerick contest on the stratics site for that game, although that might have gotten tossed in a move.

Mr. Bones
Jan 2, 2011

I'm sure anyone who grew up with Nintendo in the 90s has eaten Super Mario Kraft Dinner at least once. This box has a 1990 copyright on it, so apparently it was around even longer than I thought. Later on they updated the art and added a Yoshi shape to coincide with Super Mario World, which is the one I remember from when I was a kid. I remember eating this stuff when the N64 was in full swing around 1998 so either it was really popular or our local Zellers just sold really old food.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

While going through a box of my childhood books to donate to the local library, I made a surprising discovery.

Zelda's designs seem to be totally based on the cartoon series.

The book is copyright 1989.

This one seemed to be a mix of Super Mario Brothers 2 & 3.

From the other color book. This was exclusively Mario. No Princess, no Luigi.

RC and Moon Pie has a new favorite as of 04:06 on May 15, 2014

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

http://www.infinitelooper.com/?v=DwZ2d-xCLJE#/43;56

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
I had one of these.

My mother thought it was the stupidest loving thing, but I didn't care.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I found part of a box of that, where I'd cut off the front artwork for some reason, in a box I had in storage. I still keep it on display up on a shelf. And I still have one of these:

...but once I started drinking my coffee in it the handle broke off for whatever reason, maybe the heat. I also had one of these and have no idea what happened to it:

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Boxman posted:

This is insane and I love it. Luigi just blowing away baddies with a bazooka...thing was the highlight.

The best part of that video is the kids in the audience waving around their souvenir plungers like it is the coolest thing ever. A PLUNGER.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I don't know how obscure it is, but somewhere in storage (don't think I threw it out) is one of the Super Mario Bros Choose Your Own Adventure book, this one in particular:

Filled with puzzles and deaths of our favourite plumbers, it was pretty fun! If I remember right, all the death-defying horrors that they go through is simply part of a test to prove the plumbers' heroicness.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Morpheus posted:

I don't know how obscure it is, but somewhere in storage (don't think I threw it out) is one of the Super Mario Bros Choose Your Own Adventure book, this one in particular:

Filled with puzzles and deaths of our favourite plumbers, it was pretty fun! If I remember right, all the death-defying horrors that they go through is simply part of a test to prove the plumbers' heroicness.

I got this from the library once! I remember there wasn't a lot of what I'd now identify as player/reader agency- a lot of the time you were choosing numbered doors with no way of having any idea what each door would do. So you'd get Mario and Luigi killed or whatever because you randomly chose the wrong indistinguishable choice.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Pope Guilty posted:

I got this from the library once! I remember there wasn't a lot of what I'd now identify as player/reader agency- a lot of the time you were choosing numbered doors with no way of having any idea what each door would do. So you'd get Mario and Luigi killed or whatever because you randomly chose the wrong indistinguishable choice.

Honestly a lot of CYOAs are like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(
I have one of those, except it's a Legend of Zelda one:

• Locked thread