Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Another wave of Marvel Now books down, time for another thread.

Marvel Threads in BSS

General Marvel Discussion Thread Rules
  • As with the last iteration All New/Marvel Now is just branding, pick up a book that looks fun and start reading!
  • I'm not going to mention the Avengers books cos they deserve their own thread :colbert: Thanks Gavok!
  • This goes double for any upcoming events :colbert: :colbert:
  • Post in the relative discussion threads: Q&A, recommendations, monthly book discussion.
  • Despite some dumbness this is probably the best time to jump into a lot of Marvel books.
  • Want to know what's out this week? Click this thread.
  • If I missed a book or something important well write a blurb and I'll add it in.
  • Thread will be updated with links to new threads.

Some good new Marvel Now books which only recently started.

Black Widow

Natasha Romanov is a spy for hire. Nathan Edmonson and Phil Noto bring a low key spy book to life where Natasha kills a lot of dudes without there being RED IN THE LEDGER.

Elektra

Haden Blackwell and Mike Del Mundo brings everybodies favourite assassin back to life after Zeb Wells had to bail from the book. I shouldn't need to really say any more then Mike Del Mundo art to be honest.

Ghost Rider

Robbie Reyes is a young guy trying to make ends meet for him and his younger brother. Unfortunately he happens to get murdered and his car is the Spirit of Vengeance. Has all the makings of being a pandering kids book but Felipe Smith and especially Tradd Moore's art work make it a really fun book.

Iron Fist: The Living Weapon

Kaare Andrews writes and draws the ninja adventures of Danny Rand, The Immortal Iron Fist. He punches and kicks a lot of dudes. Expect things to get weirder as the book goes on.

Loki: Agent of Asgard

How do you capitalize on Loki's film popularity? You get Al Ewing and Lee Garbett to create the secret agent adventures of sexy Loki as he hacks the internet, writes fan fiction and generally be mischievous.

Moon Knight

Warren Ellis, Declan Shalvey and Jordie Bellaire bring their A game as they reboot Moon Knight so to speak. Incorperating all of his past and personalities into one book it constantly changes tone and strives to be fresh, striking and violent book.

Ms. Marvel

G. Willow Wilson & Adrian Alphona bring the story of Kamala Khan, a regular teenage Muslim who one day happens to get super powers. Taking after her role model Carol Danvers she dons the name of Ms. Marvel as she tries to deal with being a teenager and fighting bad dudes.

She Hulk

Lawyer and writer of a million books Charles Soule teams up with Javier Pulido to finally do a Marvel lawyering book. She Hulk punches guys, does a lot of lawyering, hangs out with HellCat and gets stuff done.

Silver Surfer

Within the show's book's narrative, the Doctor Hearld is a centuries-old alien, a Time Lord young astronomer empowered with the power cosmic from the planet Gallifrey Zenn-La, who travels in time and space in his ship, the TARDIS on his surf board, frequently with companions. Dan Slott writes and Mike Allred does his thing.

Waterhaul fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Apr 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Also everybody should buy Elektra because Mike Del Mundo has to stay on this book for as long as physically possible.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Waterhaul posted:

Also everybody should buy Elektra because Mike Del Mundo has to stay on this book for as long as physically possible.

That's some crazy loving good art. :stare:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The Punisher, Moon Knight, and Ghost Rider are some of my favorite books of all time already. I think if most people were making a "best of 2014 so far" list though, Ms. Marvel would probably take the spot of The Punisher. I like it, but I'm probably just gonna wait for the trades from here.

God of Thunder and Indestructible(which is now canceled and replaced by an equally bland-and-uninteresting based off the first issue Hulk) used to be two of my favorites but their latest arcs have really been a drop. I have faith GoT will get better and I'm riding it out for now, but I'm disappointed Indestructible Hulk ended on such a down note, quality wise.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Waterhaul posted:

I have never been sold on a book based on a bunch of variant covers before, but I've also never seen a picture of Electra made out of blood and ninjas.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I like how this barely mentions Inhumanity.

Remember when Inhumanity was supposed to be this huge loving game changing status quo and now it seems to be almost forgotten?

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

notthegoatseguy posted:

I like how this barely mentions Inhumanity.

Remember when Inhumanity was supposed to be this huge loving game changing status quo and now it seems to be almost forgotten?

Yeah, Marvel wants to have a group they can use in place of the X-Men for their movies, but it really stumbled when they lost Fraction. I'm glad they're just letting it lay low or maybe die right now instead of rushing to force it down people's throats.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

StumblyWumbly posted:

Yeah, Marvel wants to have a group they can use in place of the X-Men for their movies, but it really stumbled when they lost Fraction. I'm glad they're just letting it lay low or maybe die right now instead of rushing to force it down people's throats.

Is there any source to this, or just speculation? I can't imagine Inhuman rights are that cut and dry, given they originated in FF.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

EVGA Longoria posted:

Is there any source to this, or just speculation? I can't imagine Inhuman rights are that cut and dry, given they originated in FF.

The only part that isn't speculation is that Fraction says he left Inhuman because he and editorial wanted the book to go different ways. Inhumans just occupy such a similar space to mutants that it doesn't make sense to make the world more complicated by adding space mutants, except for the rights angle.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

WickedHate posted:

but I'm disappointed Indestructible Hulk ended on such a down note, quality wise.

I dropped it after ten issues, it became clear within the first three that it wasn't going to play into the larger MU in anyway meaningful way. Even if the "Stay Angry" evil Banner, Jason Aaron run was dumb, it was at the very least a new idea for the character. This felt like a holding pattern of Hulk/Banner is back to being on the side of the good guys but we don't want to do anything important with him so he's going to run around not really doing anything.

Going by the first issue here, this series isn't going to be any better.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

I liked the science team angle of Hulk and the sending him in to take care of things SHIELD can't but yeah, the book just never went anywhere. I gave it way too long to get good and there was no payoff.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
It's a few weeks on and I still don't know if I liked Iron Fist: The Living Weapon. The art was great but Danny was just so unlikable in it compared to every other book featuring Iron Fist that I've ever read. I'm not saying Kaare Andrews has to stick to what the Fraction and Brubaker did in their Iron fist run and Fraction's Defenders but those were the books that introduced me to Iron Fist and it's what I'm used to and what I enjoy.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

I don't think there's really a place for "Immortal Iron Fist" while Hawkguy is around as they are effectively the same character. Iron Fist, while not a perfect book, I appreciate for just deciding to distill the character to their essence and go in a new direction regardless of whether it lines up with any other books.

It's actually what I want from a Hulk book too. Waid on Hulk is too concerned with trying to make Hulk/Banner superheroes working with the Avengers/SHIELD/SWORD and it's really boring when it could be a great, crazy book about a monster or a human dealing with a monster and just go off into it's own corner and really push the concept. Waid's attempting to take his successful Daredevil reboot and attach it to Hulk without understanding how fundamentally different the characters are.

EVGA Longoria posted:

Without delving too deep into film stuff (and understanding that Marvel Studios talk constant poo poo) but an Inhumans film is on their agenda depending on how Guardians does and Marvel really wants to push the Inhumans in the books in preparation for that.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Man that Fantasticar really does look like a penis.

Edit: I think I asked this in the old thread, but does Inhumanity even count as an event anymore? Did it ever become one? Fraction dropped out before it even got going, and as far as I can tell the only books that even deal with it anymore is Soule's Inhuman and a little bit of Ms. Marvel. So all we got was two issues of Inhumanity, a one-shot that I forget what was called, and a bunch of books with the .INH numbering that didn't focus too much on the event to begin with. Avengers Assemble kind of dealt with it as well, but that book is over now.

Meanwhile Original Sin starts tomorrow, so I think it's fair to call the whole thing a wash?

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Apr 21, 2014

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

PaybackJack posted:

I dropped it after ten issues, it became clear within the first three that it wasn't going to play into the larger MU in anyway meaningful way. Even if the "Stay Angry" evil Banner, Jason Aaron run was dumb, it was at the very least a new idea for the character. This felt like a holding pattern of Hulk/Banner is back to being on the side of the good guys but we don't want to do anything important with him so he's going to run around not really doing anything.

Going by the first issue here, this series isn't going to be any better.

I thought the first few arcs were fun adventures, but then it really nosedived. The new series is just garbage right out the gate.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I dropped Indestructible like a hot turd about halfway through the time travel arc. Raise your hand if you're NOT so sick of time travel that you have to suppress the urge to tear apart and eat a book when it introduces it into a story.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Diet Poison posted:

I dropped Indestructible like a hot turd about halfway through the time travel arc. Raise your hand if you're NOT so sick of time travel that you have to suppress the urge to tear apart and eat a book when it introduces it into a story.

I'm not really bothered by it.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I thought it was a boring book, and I dropped it, but not because of time travel.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

I thought it was boring; I absolutely hate time travel (although this was a better time travel story than usual), and didn't drop it until the relaunch. :negative:

Since it was Waid I was hoping that it would turn around, but alas, it did not.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

not very big on time travel stuff because its frequently used as a deceit in a plot. They go do a time travel thing and gently caress up lots of story elements but fix it all with time travel. Thus, you just sat through a pointless time travel story.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I enjoyed it for what it was: an excuse to write a Simonson's Thor tribute book where you could use Simonson-era Thor and just go nuts.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Defiance Industries posted:

I enjoyed it for what it was: an excuse to write a Simonson's Thor tribute book where you could use Simonson-era Thor and just go nuts.
Not that arc, the one afterward.

I found Indestructible to be pretty disappointing too. I liked the concept, the execution just really wasn't that interesting. That Thor arc was fun, though.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Yeah that one was not so good. I was wondering what the gently caress was wrong with all of you. But now I get it.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

WickedHate posted:

God of Thunder and Indestructible(which is now canceled and replaced by an equally bland-and-uninteresting based off the first issue Hulk) used to be two of my favorites but their latest arcs have really been a drop. I have faith GoT will get better and I'm riding it out for now, but I'm disappointed Indestructible Hulk ended on such a down note, quality wise.

I'd say God of Thunder has finally picked up after that rubbish Malekith arc. We have Ribic again and Old Thor fighting Galactus at the end of the earth is pretty drat awesome.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

I'd say God of Thunder has finally picked up after that rubbish Malekith arc. We have Ribic again and Old Thor fighting Galactus at the end of the earth is pretty drat awesome.

I didn't exactly like the Malekithh arc either. If it weren't for the amazing God Butcher/Godbomb arc and the incredible "Jason Aaron accidentally writes All-Star Superman"(which is like my favorite single issue of anything ever) I'd not be reading this far. Right now the Galactus fight is all I'm liking.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Apr 22, 2014

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Malekith being a bad arc didn't bother me. We had a clear hook on what the next arc would be with the SHIELD scientist, so it was obvious that Malekith was a forced story because movie synergy, a hiatus to the real comic if you will.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I can't get over the weird art for Ghost Rider is it a actually good?

Adam Strange
Oct 11, 2012

He laughs. The line goes dead.
The art is like 90% of the appeal to Ghost Rider, there's not a whole lot there yet otherwise.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
The car stuff is awesome.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Robbie's a pretty cool guy, panels with his bro are great.

But yeah, the sicknasty art's what really makes it.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

:saddowns: You take that back! That was the best D&D arc!

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
The current Thor arc where he is basically Captain Planet is the best and no one can convince me otherwise.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Waterhaul posted:

I'm not going to mention the Avengers books cos they deserve their own thread :colbert:

Here you go. I probably shouldn't be writing these at 3:30 am. Sorry.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
I'm just reading through Remenders Uncanny X-Force for the first tine and woah, issue 7 blew my mind.

Issue 7 spoilers duh, holy poo poo so in the future Dethlok took over the world and APOCALYPSE is the leader of the rebellion. gently caress that is so bad rear end. And with that last page.. now I understand why the Dethloks came into the past. Starting to really like Fantomex, his sneakiness and his genjutsu powers.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Gavok posted:

It's beautiful :allears:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gavok posted:

No you should probably make more threads at 3:30 am.

I nominate Gavok to write all discussion thread OPs at 3:30 am.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Gavok posted:

You are a forums treasure, that OP is gorgeous.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

So Guardians #14 which apparently was the 100th issue was a big piece of poo poo. lovely art, completely disjointed, disconnected and with 2 extra stories that make even less sense.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Yeah I'm getting pretty tired of marvel using literally any excuse to make an issue $5. At least they are adding pages and not a dumb gimmick like 3D covers though.
I really liked Original Sin #0 and if you like the parts in Nova where Sam is hanging out with Uatu you'll like it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Senor Candle posted:

Yeah I'm getting pretty tired of marvel using literally any excuse to make an issue $5. At least they are adding pages and not a dumb gimmick like 3D covers though.
I really liked Original Sin #0 and if you like the parts in Nova where Sam is hanging out with Uatu you'll like it too.

Yeah it made me realize that I need to read his series at some point. Waid is really good, and so far this event looks like it could be worth it.

• Locked thread