Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Aello

Alright then, a mark on the wall facing back to the granary.

She scratches a crude arrow with the point of one of her crossbow bolts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Attempting to follow the most significant rat tracks you note that after about 100' the decline levels off and the floor is now stone. Eventually the party comes to a large opening. The cavern beyond is dark and the opposite wall is around 30' away. The cavern goes as far left and right as you can see by the lantern light and has a stream running along it. Entering the cavern the noise and illumination excite a bunch of bats who flap about but eventually disappear into the darkness beyond your vision.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Ciarán

Now may be a good time for us to consult with our little friends here, but it would be good to be prepared about what we'd like to know - any suggestions beyond "which way should we go"?

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Should we go back and get some guards as reinforcements?

Bolo attempts to conceal himself in the darkness as the party travels, so if they get jumped, he'll be in a better position.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."

Splode posted:

Should we go back and get some guards as reinforcements?

Bolo attempts to conceal himself in the darkness as the party travels, so if they get jumped, he'll be in a better position.

Martha

Pfft we don't need help. Don't worry little man, us ladies will protect you

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Amaranth / Lyme

I will recommend Martha choose our path from here, she likely knows more about navigating this environment than anyone else present.

She peers at the stream.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Aello

Freudian Slip posted:

Martha

Pfft we don't need help. Don't worry little man, us ladies will protect you

:black101::respek::hist101:

Agreed, drawing guards away from the granary isn't necessary.

These caves...are there any old stories about them?

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Martha :black101:

Smiles at Aello's support

I am happy to stop here while Ciarán talks to his news friends

If they don't have any answers for him - I suggest that we keep taking the same turns that we made
(Turn left up ahead if we took the left tunnel previously - or right if we took the right previously). This way at the end of the day we know that we explored all possible options.

If it's OK with the rest of the party, I will keep my eye out for any secret doors or traps. This will slow us down a little - but it pays to be safe sometimes.

(OOC: I do like those two smilies representing Martha and Aello)

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
(Still don't know what you guys want to find out from the rats, as far as I know I need to be a translator here and I can only do this once.)

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Things to know from rats: Where they came from, who is giving them orders, how many more there are, why they are attacking a well defended grain store instead of softer targets, whether there is an undefended entrance into their lair/nest...anything else?

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

thatbastardken posted:

Things to know from rats: Where they came from, who is giving them orders, how many more there are, why they are attacking a well defended grain store instead of softer targets, whether there is an undefended entrance into their lair/nest...anything else?

Martha is happy with these questions

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
There is no reason you can't ask all of the above. The spell will go for 2 rounds. In order to speed things along I'll give you the response to all of the above. If someone wants to ask anything further after this I'll allow it.

Brown Tail - I come from..(commences a long drawn out tale that amounts to it's life story), Oh just then? We came from the house in the trees. The big rat tells us what to do. How many more? All of them. We go where the big rat tells us. The granary has all the food (probably means there is no end to the food they have found there). The nest is always guarded (This may not be the answer to the question you thought you asked).

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Amaranth / Lyme

Ask it how big the 'big rat' is, and if there are strange creatures that are like rats but not rats.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Brown Tail's tiny rat brain has trouble with expressing how big the big rat is and strange creatures that are rats but aren't rats gets a blank reading as phrased. Fortunately Ciarán is 'in tune' enough with rat-think to reinterpret.

Brown Tail - The Big Rat is bigger than all other rats and there are all sorts of creatures that are like rats but not rats.

Further questions remain possible.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Where would we go from here to reach this house in the trees Brown Tail? Is it the nest you were talking about?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Brown Tail - It's along the rat smell (etc.)..Basically it's not this way but she could show you. No silly it isn't her nest.

"there is a possibility that the animal, and its like associates, will do some favor or service for the cleric druid." :rolldice: Brown Tail seems to like the cut of Ciarán's jib.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
ooc: where do we want to head guys, because my buddies will probably take us there. I presume we want to go see the big rat, but any objections?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
While deciding your next course of action. There is a thump nearby. Turning you notice this:

Heading towards you from near the stream.

EDIT - Definitely looks like it doesn't want to play scrabble.

Cartoon fucked around with this message at 10:27 on May 3, 2014

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Brown Tail, is that one of the things that aren't rats you were talking about?

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Amaranth / Lyme

She steps behind the others while trying to figure out what it is.

And starts slinging bullets at it.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Brown Tail - *gulp* Nope.

You feel your shoulder gets warmer.

Will resolve combat once we have a full set of declared actions.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Martha

Puts herself between the on coming winged creature and the party.

She readies her crossbow and yells "halt!"

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

OOC: Bolo moved into darkness earlier, did that happen?

Bolo attempts to remain undetected and sneak behind the beast.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Ciarán asks Brown Tail whether there's any path down which we could escape but the gargoyle could not and readies his club.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Martha - It isn't stopping. You loose a bolt off at it that misses.
Aello - (You'll get a chance to modify this if you wish) Also tries a bolt for starters and misses.
Ciarán - Gets the message (from Brown Tail) that back the way they came is both the way to the Big Rat and away from this terrifying monster. His wooden club is brandished threateningly.
Lyme - Lets go a sling bullet and hits the creature in the chest. The bullet shatters and appears to do NO DAMAGE what-so-ever.
Bolo - Is hidden in the shadows and prepares to strike at the thing's back.

The thing heads for Ciarán but Aello intervenes. It attacks with both it's fore talons and leg claws scoring one hit for 1 HP damage.

Well that could have been worse.

Cartoon fucked around with this message at 11:42 on May 3, 2014

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Seeing the bullet smash, Bolo holds back. He suspects this creature may be immune to physical attacks.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Brown Tail says the way to the big rat is back the other way, so we should probably just leave.

Ciarán starts off for the exit.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Amaranth / Lyme

I am not going to run from this piece of overambitious statuary!

She slings with greater vengeance. This thing probably isn't even sentient! Whatever it is!

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Aello

Let's see if you like this!

Draw two handed sword, smash down into the shoulder of the beast.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Martha

Goes in with Axe and sheild

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Ciarán casts Faerie Fire on the gargoyle to assist his more physically able companions as he backs away.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Bolo changes his mind again and attempts to stab the creature in the back

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Martha - Her vicious axe stroke strikes the neck of the creature and bounces off with a loud Boing.
Aello - The two hander misses.
Ciarán - Cast's Faerie Fire and backs away.
Lyme - Manages a second hit, with the same outcome.
Bolo - Finally steps forth from the shadows and plants a mighty thrust right between the beasts wings. His rapier doesn't penetrate and sort of skips off.

The beast again thrusts out with all it's nasty talons and strikes with it's right fore talon this time on Martha doing 1 HP of damage.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Martha

Drops her Axe and grabs one her special bolts and uses it to stab the beast

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

To hell with this Bolo growls, and retreats back into the shadows

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Ciarán quickens his pace towards the door.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Amaranth / Lyme

She's shaken by the seeming invulnerability of this creature. This is her first real life-or-death situation (the rats don't count), and now it's entirely up to her to stop it. Such a responsibility!

Martha, I assume that is an enchanted bolt! How many do you have? I will temporarily disable it so that we can properly destroy it, so everyone keep clear and do not strike it! If you do, it will wake prematurely!

She places the lantern on the ground and casts Sleep on the creature.

Rat-talker, get back here!

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Ciarán remains by the exit.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
The moment Lyme casts the sleep spell the Gargoyle goes down like a bag of rocks.
Martha is on hand and immediately dispatches it with a +1 Bolt.
Bolo disappears into the shadows.

A close inspection of the creature and its remains reveals 6 gold.

[ That gives each of you 54 exp or 60 exp if you have the 10% bonus]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Amaranth / Lyme

Yes, my plan worked perfectly!

She inspects the creature closely to figure out what it is.

Skellybones fucked around with this message at 07:27 on May 4, 2014

• Locked thread