Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Looks like it's a fight to the death!

Initiative! :rolldice: (Checks his six sided dice carefully) Party wins!

Martha - Lunges at the foul beast with her improvised enchanted shiv smacking it heavily in the chest and doing 7 HP damage! The Wererat looks mightily pissed off at this turn of events. The bolt snaps off in the wound.
Ciarán - Pulls Aello to safety and stabilises her wound. She looks to be in a bad way and is breathing shallowly.
Lyme - Gets a sling shot off with a silver piece. It manages to go almost straight up and misses the snarling buck toothed baddie.
Typhon - Rises majestically into the air, an oil flask clasped in it's claws. With a delicacy known only to the Accipiter it dumps the contents of the flask neatly down the back of the Wererat's robe.
Bolo - Swings a sling bullet at a giant rat but it goes wide.

One very ticked off Wererat slashes out at Martha and misses.
His three buddies all nip at Martha's heels and nether regions. One gets a penetrating bite and does 2 HP leaving Martha with 7 HP, for now.

EDIT - Forgot the 'friendly fire' incident earlier Martha's HP total adjusted.

Cartoon fucked around with this message at 01:43 on May 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Going to smash a rat.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Amaranth / Lyme

She tells Typhon to have a go at one of the giant rats attacking Martha, and tries to get behind the rat-fiend. With a mighty swing of her puny arms she attempts to smash her lit lantern on his oil-soaked robes, and hopefully not die in the process.

:gonk:

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Initiative! Rats win! And about time.

An oily looking Wererat slashes its terrifying longsword at Martha and smashes it into her for 3 HP of damage. She now only has 4 HP
The three companions support their master but are defeated by Martha's banded mail.

Martha - Scrabbles behind her for one of the bolts she previously discarded and grasps one quickly enough to thrust it at the big ratty one. It howls as it takes a further 6 HP damage.
Ciarán - Scythes at a Giant Rat with his mighty club and air swings.
Lyme - Lunges with her tiny arms at the Wererat's back and successfully drops the lit lantern onto the oil soaked cloth. Mr Ratty goes up like a torch and takes 10 HP damage. It drops it's sword and attempts, futilely to beat out his burning robe and fur. In the general conflagration his companions take some splash damage and such is the intensity of the blaze that they all go down in a burning heap. The air is thick with dense black smokeand the stench of burning flesh.

Martha was also close enough to take some damage but pulls away as the flames ignite.

Lyme should know better than to play with fire and takes 3 HP damage.

Ciarán wary of the dangers of fire in a forrest setting also escapes injury.

Typhon is unable to pull out of it's power dive and is heavily singed for 1 HP damage and has 1 HP remaining.

After a further round the fire dies down.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Sorry Brown Tail.

Ciarán checks out what's left of the man, beating down the flames if they're still going and small, otherwise putting it out with water.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Amaranth / Lyme

She runs away screaming trailing smoke like an idiot. Typhon flies away trailing smoke like a stunt plane and lands on the roof of the cottage.

:supaburn:

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Oh uh I guess he also washes off and douses the wounds and burns respectively of literally everyone else.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."
Martha

Once she has checked that everyone is going to be OK, sighs contentedly.

She allows Ciarán to check her wounds with little modesty.

While waiting for Aello to recuperate, she helps Ciarán check the body and the insides of the cottage. If the cottage is clear she helps move Aello inside to whatever bed is there

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
You drag your variously chopped and sauteed carcasses into the cottage.

It seems to be clear of further combatants.

There is a bed that you lay Aello upon. Inside the cottage is a fireplace (not alight), the bed, a small table with three chairs, a desk with an additional chair and two draws, a shelf and mantle piece, and two bound chests. The windows have curtains and the bed has linen.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Martha

Bolo, could you please try and open these chests. I could open them with Bessie, but there is no point destroying things that we can use later

I will pour us all a drink in the meantime

Martha pours some ale from her cask into a drinking cup and watches Bolo

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
[OOC: Pretty sure Bolo only logs on after work so to press ahead I'm going to have to take some liberties with Bolo's actions. As ever if an action isn't to your liking you may request that it be changed.]

You ransack the joint perform a careful stocktake.

Items found:

Clothing reasonably in keeping with someone employed at a dairy.
Food amounting to about five days rations.
A strange holy symbol that none of you have seen before (This is actually off Mr Rat's body).
A slightly singed longsword (also from Mr Rat).
~ 18 000 copper coins (That's about 90 gold).
A brand on the bed frame that announces it to be the property of the Sawmiller's guild.
A couple of dozen candles.
A note:

quote:

Livino,

Not sure if you will be welcome back to the circle. Thought I owed you this much.

Wilfin

The lantern borrowed from the granary guards didn't make it :ohdear:
You could search for the SP that Lyme's sling shot into the air.

[The party receive 69 exp each (76 exp with 10% bonus)]

Cartoon fucked around with this message at 06:25 on May 6, 2014

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Going to rest up and get my spell counts back.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Amaranth / Lyme

After confirming that she is not on fire and is not about to be rended apart by giant rats, she checks the health of her hawk, chicken and eyebrows, and leaves any treatment to the druid who probably knows better. Choking on the stench of burnt rat infused into her clothing and person, she attempts to locate any hidden basement hatches, wall panels or other concealed doodads, but leaves opening them to Bolo. After checking around the house she goes to looks at the holy symbol the wererat had.

This may be a sign of affiliation with an illicit cult or order. I would like to do some research on it, but it could take some time and having the original would be very helpful.

If she has some spare paper, she takes some fireplace charcoal and makes a rubbing of the holy symbol, and copies the letter.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Halfway through his meditative state of rest, Ciarán stirs with a sudden start.

Of course! How foolish of me to forget. From within his robes pockets he pulls a small jar and heads over to apply what is inside on Aello.

Martha, if you would like your wounds cured, you may want to take some of this.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Captain Pissweak posted:

Halfway through his meditative state of rest, Ciarán stirs with a sudden start.

Of course! How foolish of me to forget. From within his robes pockets he pulls a small jar and heads over to apply what is inside on Aello.

Martha, if you would like your wounds cured, you may want to take some of this.

Aye - if you have any left after helping Aello

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Ciarán applies one dose to Aello and she rouses from her near death experience (Successful System Shock survival). She recovers her full 8 HP.

A second dose goes to Martha and she is once again on 13 HP.

The little elf pokes around but comes up with no secret or hidden doors. A reasonable paper copy of the symbol and note are made.

Cartoon fucked around with this message at 07:09 on May 6, 2014

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Aello

By Teheda! I thought I was dead. Thank you all for saving me.

Aello ponders this humbling experience, rubbing thoughtfully at the faint scar the wound has left behind.

The next time we go to investigate a cottage in the woods, I'll be more careful.

She looks over the odds and ends that have been recovered. Is there a useful makers mark on the sword?

So, our Big Rat worked at a dairy, operating from a cottage owned by the saw-millers guild, and was kicked out of "the circle". Well, it's clear that the attacks on the granary were no random plague of rats.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Martha

Not necessarily the cottage but the bed at some point was owned, or made, by the saw-millers guild

Also I say we claim the cottage as our own now :black101:

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Amaranth / Lyme

She wanders back inside after poking at the wererat.

To legally take possession of the cottage, you would need the deed or charter governing the transfer... the city or guild... and other interests...

She trails off and stops caring.

I am going to take the rat's symbol and letter to study. Someone should cut its head off for proof to the Millers. This cottage is too small and clean to be the nest of the rat hordes we have encountered. There is a silver piece in the yard for anyone who wants to look.

She finds a seat, lets Tisiphone out onto the ground and starts ignoring everyone else to memorise a Sleep spell.

Skellybones fucked around with this message at 08:27 on May 6, 2014

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Ooc: thanks cartoon. Feel free to have Bolo do things he's the best equipped for, sorry I can't post during the day. Also cartoon, did I remember to have Bolo pick up ink and quills and poo poo?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

thatbastardken posted:

She looks over the odds and ends that have been recovered. Is there a useful makers mark on the sword?

Yes the sword has a makers mark. It was manufactured by the Guild of Armourers and Tinsmiths. The mark additionally bears the initals F.N.

Splode posted:

Ooc: thanks cartoon. Feel free to have Bolo do things he's the best equipped for, sorry I can't post during the day. Also cartoon, did I remember to have Bolo pick up ink and quills and poo poo?
Yes you did.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Bolo takes this opportunity to record what has happened so far, as well as the markings on the sword.
"Does anyone want to take the sword? I'm sure it'll sell for a good price"

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Aello

I'll carry it until we can get the owner identified. We can split the proceeds of sale once our quest is over.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Martha

I think FN was the maker of the sword, I think the owner is smoldering out front.

We should see if it is magical before we pawn it though. I am sick of stabbing things with my bolts

From now on Martha will use the magical arrows in crossbow unless otherwise stated

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
During the rest stop while the casters relearn spells (Which spells exactly Ciarán) a light meal is prepared. Jack and Typhon seem fully recovered but Lyme still smarts. The big question is what do you do now?

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Bolo addresses the group
Well, we've found a few huge rats and a rat man, that could've been the source. Maybe the rats were being called from the forest by that ratman? I think we should question Ablinth about his dealings with the saw-millers guild. Perhaps there is bad blood there?

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Cartoon posted:

During the rest stop while the casters relearn spells (Which spells exactly Ciarán) a light meal is prepared. Jack and Typhon seem fully recovered but Lyme still smarts. The big question is what do you do now?

Oh I'm taking new ones? Well then.

Keeping Speak with Animals and Faerie Fire, pick up Shillelagh and Entangle.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Amaranth / Lyme

We should scout the grounds and nearby forest. There may be something important that the rat hid nearby.

She takes the mysterious holy icon and letter, and gathers up Tisiphone. The singed Typhon remains on the roof looking for anything interesting or threatening.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
[OOC: Yes Ciarán for 1st and 2nd level spells resting for 4 hours allows you to relearn as many as you can cast]

Scouting the grounds and nearby forest reveals nothing of particular note. It does seem unlikely all the rats were being drawn from the forest but normal rats don't leave much of a trace.

All right but before you move off I need to know who cut off ratty's head and who's carrying it and how much of the 18 000 copper pieces are leaving with you. That's at least six times what the party can carry by itself. Coin weight is taken by number so 1 gp weighs what 1 cp weighs etc. 18 000 cp weighs 18 000 gp. Aello is about as strong as you can get without magic and she gets a 1 750 gp weight allowance. At fully encumbered she adds that to the 1050 gp that average strength players can carry giving 2 800 gp total carry. That includes armour and gear unless that's getting left.

How are you getting back to the granary? Via the tunnel or over land? Other possibilities are err, possible.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Cartoon posted:

[OOC: Yes Ciarán for 1st and 2nd level spells resting for 4 hours allows you to relearn as many as you can cast]

Scouting the grounds and nearby forest reveals nothing of particular note. It does seem unlikely all the rats were being drawn from the forest but normal rats don't leave much of a trace.

All right but before you move off I need to know who cut off ratty's head and who's carrying it and how much of the 18 000 copper pieces are leaving with you. That's at least six times what the party can carry by itself. Coin weight is taken by number so 1 gp weighs what 1 cp weighs etc. 18 000 cp weighs 18 000 gp. Aello is about as strong as you can get without magic and she gets a 1 750 gp weight allowance. At fully encumbered she adds that to the 1050 gp that average strength players can carry giving 2 800 gp total carry. That includes armour and gear unless that's getting left.

How are you getting back to the granary? Via the tunnel or over land? Other possibilities are err, possible.

Bolo puts the 18,000 copper pieces on his credit card.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Aello will cut and carry the head.

I'll carry as many of these coins as I can, we should bury the rest and come back for them later.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Amaranth / Lyme

She shakes her head slightly at the vast collection of copper coins. What the hell..?

I am happy to return to town and recuperate, but exploration of those caverns and tunnels could lead to 'great fame and fortune'. Coming back with better equipment would be to my liking.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Ciarán searches the cottage for a sack.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Aello happens to be carrying a large sack, in addition to her backpack and belt pouch.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Aello

Why don't we just hire some porters to come through with a wheelbarrow and cart the coins back for us? They could be paid directly out of the load they carry.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
To move things along:

After much discussion a consensus is reached to leaving a watcher (say Typhon). Then go back through the rat tunnels to the granary. Once there or back in the city organising for a man with a cart to come and get the cash. Likely costs is around 5 sp and the guy might accept payment in copper :dance:

You gather 4 improvised torches (using branches and rat robe) and reenter the tunnels through the storm cellar door. It's really scary and claustrophobic, you hear noises (etc.). Taking the long way round, so you can follow you own footprints, you emerge into the Granary Cellar at about 4 PM on the 8th of Nerf.

In the cellar but not near the entrance or the rat hole are Ablinth, a Cleric of Teheda and a bunch of granary guards. The sack of grain that was requested is propped up against a pillar. It is surrounded by a circle of dead rats.

Ablinth - You dare to show your faces back here!?

Ooops looks like you have some explaning to do!

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Aello

A lesson Aello learned at her mothers knee was the importance, when faced with a officious bureaucrat, of taking and holding the offensive - apologizing or explaining only ever makes them bolder. Pulling herself up to her full height and managing somehow to direct a withering glare down her nose at Ablinth she speaks in a cold, nearly hostile tone.

When you denied knowledge of the tunnels connecting to your granary where you ignorant or lying? Concealing knowledge of a breach in the city walls is a very serious matter, sir, so choose your next words with exceptional care.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Martha

Taking her cues from Aello, points her axe at Ablinth

Very serious indeed

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Amaranth / Lyme

Acts inconspiuous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Aello

Puts a hand on Martha's axe to push it gently away from Ablinth

Give the man a moment to explain himself. In matters of dire importance such as this it behooves us to be thorough.

• Locked thread