Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Back in the 60's, Stan Lee decided that with the Justice League being a thing, maybe he should do the same with some of his Marvel properties. Then the Avengers happened. Hulk was a member for like ten minutes then left. Then they found Captain America and it was cool, except everyone else left the team and he had to replace them with a bunch of criminals. The lineup kept changing and there was a story called the Crossing that everyone hates that I never read. It must have been bad.

The team did stuff for a bunch of decades and there was a second version who hung out on the west coast. Suffice to say, the Avengers didn't have much mainstream recognition due to a lack of overlap with the really popular characters. Spider-Man never really had his day in the sun with them. Hulk wanted nothing to do with them. The only X-Man to be a member was the lovely one whose power is jumping and being blue. While Captain America, Iron Man and Thor had their own sense of name recognition, the rest of the characters only felt important because Marvel said that the Avengers are totally important whenever they'd show up or be namedropped. So when Spider-Man is being stabbed at by talking meteors and he tries calling big deal Avenger Dr. Druid but can't get through to him, oh poo poo! How is Spider-Man ever going to survive this major threat if he can't get in touch with Dr. goddamn Druid and have the Avengers save the day for him?!

Then they made a cartoon for them but it sucked. For some reason Captain America, Iron Man and Thor appeared for a literal split second at the end of the intro and I think only one of them appeared once in the entire series. What the gently caress was that about? Finally, people became interested in them because Mark Millar wrote about an alternate universe version of the Avengers who weren't even called the Avengers and they were all a bunch of creepy assholes who did creepy rear end in a top hat things. They made a couple cartoon movies and they were absolute dogshit outside of a sweet-rear end Hulk fight in the first one. Hulk appeared for ten seconds in the sequel because the animation studio is made of nimrods.

Brian Michael Bendis wrote Avengers for a while where he decided that "bitch is crazy!" is a good enough reason for the entire team to go their separate ways until he recreated the team with Spider-Man, Wolverine, that dude you forgot about from those comics that never existed and Spider-Woman, who Bendis admittedly knew nothing about but had a literal boner for her anyway. He wrote a bunch of cool stuff until he ran out of cool ideas and then he kept writing more after that.

Iron Man was a great movie and it got the ball rolling for an entire Avengers movie franchise that's still going strong. Now people think Avengers is the poo poo and want to get their read on. Marvel's been tossing the brand onto anything that they can, even if it has nothing to do with Avengers. Had this happened ten years ago, Runaways would have been called West Coast Young Avengers probably.

Here are the comics that are coming out right now.

Avengers

Jonathan Hickman has a huge team of Avengers doing their thing. After Infinity ended, it's been spinning its wheels and having the Avengers fight Earth 3 Avengers while Super Adaptoids are flying around.

New Avengers

The Illuminati are dealing with an albino lady who will not shut up about how they're all going to die. It's neat, but it's mostly issue after issue of her telling them, "The Ghost Sharks from Dimension Z are going to kill you all and you're dumb!" And they're like, "Uh, we'll just build a laser that blows up Ghost Sharks, especially of the Dimension Z variety." Then she'd be, "That won't work! Don't you get it?! Do you not realize what I'm telling you?!" Namor is probably going to have sex with her at some point, I figure.

Avengers World

Hickman's buddy and racist mayor (or whatever he was) Nick Spencer is doing a bunch of side stories about the Avengers. This is all well and good except Spencer's storytelling means it's like watching the first episode of a bunch of Batman 1966 two-parters one after the other and MAYBE you'll watch the second parts in a year or so.

Mighty Avengers

Luke Cage has a team of street-level Avengers that includes Masked Blade, White Tiger, Falcon and Black Sentry. I don't know what they do other than call out Superior Spider-Man for being a dickhead and hang out with Cage's old sidekick that only five people remember (Bendis isn't one of them). I hear it's well-written, but Greg Land is the main artist so to hell with that.

Avengers Assemble

It's a bunch of Avengers side-stories where everyone talks about sandwiches and stuff. It's fun sometimes.

Uncanny Avengers

Havok (no relation) has his own Avengers team with a bunch of mutants in it. Earth just blew up (THANKS OBAMA ODIN), which does fix all the problems going on in New Avengers. Too bad this had no connection to any of the other books and will instead be fixed via time travel. Thor does some badass poo poo, though, so it has that going for it.

Avengers AI

Hank Pym has a team of robots doing robotic avenging, including having a reluctant Doombot on the payroll. Mercury keeps reminding everyone that he's liquid at room temperature. It's ending soon, so don't worry about it.

Secret Avengers

A SHIELD comic having nothing to do with the Avengers. That show must be sucking at the ratings if they won't even capitalize on its name with a comic series. It's been reinvented into something more Hawkeye-esque and it has MODOK being wacky, so at least there's that.

A+X

Random Avengers and X-Men members working together for random reasons. Kind of like a super-powered three-legged race.

Avengers Undercover

gently caress off.

Gavok fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Apr 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
You should probably mention A+X is finished now.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

As is Avengers Assemble.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
^ Noooooo

Is it being replaced with something else? or KSD just doing Captain Marvel stuff?

vvvvv Blargh, Avengers Assemble was more entertaining as much as I'd like to see Captain Marvel succeed.

Bell_ fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Apr 22, 2014

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Bell_ posted:

Is it being replaced with something else? or KSD just doing Captain Marvel stuff?

I think the official "replacement" was Avengers World, but KSD is back to just doing Captain Marvel.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Kelly Sue has a bunch of Image books in the pipeline which is probably why her Marvel work is slowing down a bit (that and poor sales).

Also Gavok those descriptions are just perfect, especially New Avengers.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They did eventually have a good Avengers cartoon. Then they cancelled it for a movie tie-in.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Oh my god that OP :allears:

I forgive you for all your WWE tweets.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Gavok posted:

Havok (no relation)

This is a glorious OP.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

twistedmentat posted:

You should probably mention A+X is finished now.

Nah. I want this to be as outdated as possible in two years when Waterhaul wants a new thread.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Gavok posted:

Nah. I want this to be as outdated as possible in two years when Waterhaul wants a new thread.

Jokes on you. There'll be a new thread every time Marvel puts out a new #1 :getin:

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Gavok forgot to mention the best not-comics avengers related media:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2Eo9V1e-TY

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't know if it's safe to click that. It's warning me cheats were used.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Vincent posted:

I wonder if I can still beat that on one quarter? We used to play that every day at the pizza parlor after school.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Gavok posted:

Hickman's buddy and racist mayor (or whatever he was) Nick Spencer

I love you, Gavok.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Since I haven't been reading a lot of the Avengers book is it just Kelly Sue doing it or are Marvel really trying to make it a thing that the Avengers ring tones are that terrible theme song from Earth's Mightiest Heroes.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Just Spider Woman and Spider Girl.

AVENGERS ASSEMBLE! ...loved that song after about five episodes of hating it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I love the EMH intro :sweatdrop:

I loved EMH in general, I hear the new Avengers cartoon is a disaster.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

The intro grew on me. I like they went through the effort of having a band record a song instead of mashing together sound effects in Garage Band.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It's too bad they always used the same Hydra mech shots and didn't actually make an actual opening animation.

And EMH had FemShep Ms Marvel, which is the best Ms Marvel.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Die Laughing posted:

Just Spider Woman and Spider Girl.

Well, Captain America was the one who sent it to Spider-Girl!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Vincent posted:

The very title of the thread, man!

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone
I'm glad Marvel's constant #1 rebranding has caused the novelty to seem less attractive to collectors, especially since it's caused Undercover's sales to start with such a low number. Maybe after this gets cancelled Marvel will leave the teen murder to the Teen Titans.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

Vincent posted:

"WHERE IS THE LASER?"
"ASK THE POLICE!"

:iceburn:

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Am i just so out of touch I don't know of classic Avengers villain MECH TACO before watching that? What issues should I pick up to remedy this?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Gavok posted:

Namor is probably going to have sex with her at some point, I figure.

I think we have our solution to whatever is going on with the whole world's colliding thing. Whatever it is, even if its a concept or a being, just have Namor seduce it. It's like a living ultimate nullifier.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Did anyone else's LCS not get in Uncanny Avengers today? Mine got stiffed, and I'm trying to see if it was a very late scratch for the week.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I'm assuming from the OP that Undercover has, predictably, not fixed anything that Avengers Arena did. Can anyone give any more details?

I just want Mettle back. :(

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Gavok posted:

The only X-Man to be a member was the BEST one whose power is jumping and being blue.

One unforgivable mistake in an otherwise amazing OP. :colbert:

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

goldenoreos posted:

I'm glad Marvel's constant #1 rebranding has caused the novelty to seem less attractive to collectors, especially since it's caused Undercover's sales to start with such a low number. Maybe after this gets cancelled Marvel will leave the teen murder to the Teen Titans.

You seen July's solicits? You lose Mettle and Juston but gain a resurrected Alex!

I think Hopeless knows this book's days are numbered and is just being as antagonistic as humanly possible until it's cancelled.

DoubleDonut posted:

I'm assuming from the OP that Undercover has, predictably, not fixed anything that Avengers Arena did. Can anyone give any more details?

I just want Mettle back. :(

The survivors are written wildly out of character as they go into Bagalia to kill Arcade and some of them might go evil?!

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone
The new Uncanny Avengers issue this week was pretty interesting, though I fully expect that Havok's daughter will not be reunited with him when they return to the present.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

goldenoreos posted:

The new Uncanny Avengers issue this week was pretty interesting, though I fully expect that Havok's daughter will not be reunited with him when they return to the present.

She might as she is a Summers and they all come from alternate timelines and/or the future. Maybe she can return with Ian?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

I don't know how people can care about Avengers Undercover when the important thing from the July solicits is that Marvel have finally seen the light to give the world a truly amazing Avengers book.

quote:

100TH ANNIVERSARY SPECIAL #1 AVENGERS
MARVEL COMICS
(W/A/CA) James Stokoe
CLASSIFIED

:allears:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Aaaaaaaaa :allears: :allears: :allears:

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

twistedmentat posted:

It's too bad they always used the same Hydra mech shots and didn't actually make an actual opening animation.

And EMH had FemShep Ms Marvel, which is the best Ms Marvel.

Wait, what? That might be relevant to my interests. Please explain.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Trast posted:

Wait, what? That might be relevant to my interests. Please explain.

I wouldn't get too excited. Jennifer Hale voices Carol in the show and uses her standard voice so both character sounds alike.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Waterhaul posted:

I wouldn't get too excited. Jennifer Hale voices Carol in the show and uses her standard voice so both character sounds alike.

Hah, just thought it might be Carol rampaging through some alien world or something. And yeah Hale does like to use her Shepard voice these days.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Waterhaul posted:

I don't know how people can care about Avengers Undercover when the important thing from the July solicits is that Marvel have finally seen the light to give the world a truly amazing Avengers book.

Ideally this is a Dum Dum Dugan centered continuation of Half Century War.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Trast posted:

Hah, just thought it might be Carol rampaging through some alien world or something. And yeah Hale does like to use her Shepard voice these days.

Well, I always thought that FemShep and Carol had a lot in common. Pretty sure Captain Marvel would totally just left hook everyone if given the chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Waterhaul posted:

Stovengers should just be Mole Man and his people against Ego the Living Planet. Everything is intricate and deadly as poo poo. 6 page fold out of Galactus at the end.

• Locked thread