Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Oh youtube....

Yeah, I really hope in the third game Goal does something besides end up with jerk or jerk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the Goal pinup is pretty terrible. I still maintain the game isn't too bad about handling the characters: it's clear from the start it's absurd and it's not like cartoons don't get pretty brutal from time to time - it's just part of the style and the game never lets you think it's taking itself seriously.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

SystemLogoff posted:

Oh youtube....

Yeah, I really hope in the third game Goal does something besides end up with jerk or jerk.

I played it up a bit for laughs, but I do think that the pinup was completely unnecessary. There are a hundred better things that could have been unlocked, like concept art or some goofy outtake scene.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

tlarn posted:

:catstare: What the hell. The two games so far have revolved around, and are pretty much entirely about, taking advantage of Goal, and I see why people had a hard time enjoying it. That's especially with Rufus also being an rear end who only comes slightly close at a few instances to realizing just how awful he is. And then there's that bonus. Goddamn, Daedalus.

I've watched the first three episodes of the LP for the first game, and while the LP is great, Rufus is awful. He's not evening endearingly terrible like Guybrush Threepwood, he's just terrible.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

LashLightning posted:

I've watched the first three episodes of the LP for the first game, and while the LP is great, Rufus is awful. He's not evening endearingly terrible like Guybrush Threepwood, he's just terrible.

Yeah, Rufus has occasional moments of realizing how lovely he is and the series seems to be generally headed to making him fully realize the matter and improve as a person, but for the most part, part of enjoying the games is remembering that Rufus is a take on how utterly destructive adventure game characters can potentially be.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
And the game does repeatedly poo poo on him for it. It's not like Rufus is a horrible person the game is trying to portray as a hero. He's a shithead who is doing the right thing for all the wrong reasons.

Nemo Somen
Aug 20, 2013

While the game definitely shits on Rufus for being such an rear end, but, from the two games we've seen so far, I don't really feel like he has improved his ways. I really hope the third of the series somehow handles the issue because if he stays a shitbag to the end, I can't imagine how the ultimate ending will be enjoyable for the audience. I don't even think a "Oh, that's so silly, Rufus" ending would work.

I also don't really understand why everyone calls Rufus stupid when he clearly solves problems (in a stupid manner, sometimes) that others have given up on. Sure, he's egotistical and self-delusional, but not really dumb.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
I see Rufus going thru quite the change – from mooching off his (ex-)girlfriend, just trying to get away, to telling the truth even though lying would benefit him (and was served on a platter). The change is very gradual, but it it is definitely there. If Rufus had lied, he'd have been on his way to Elysium with Goal.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Nemo Somen posted:

I also don't really understand why everyone calls Rufus stupid when he clearly solves problems (in a stupid manner, sometimes) that others have given up on. Sure, he's egotistical and self-delusional, but not really dumb.

Rufus is dumb in that while he can often come up with solutions to a variety of problems using engineering and logic, he has exceptionally little common sense and no people skills whatsoever. That's more than enough to still call him dumb.

Nemo Somen
Aug 20, 2013

klafbang posted:

I see Rufus going thru quite the change – from mooching off his (ex-)girlfriend, just trying to get away, to telling the truth even though lying would benefit him (and was served on a platter). The change is very gradual, but it it is definitely there. If Rufus had lied, he'd have been on his way to Elysium with Goal.

However, the end of the first game gives Rufus the same conundrum, and he still makes similar choices in the end of the second game. Then only real difference is Rufus admits the truth at different points; at the height of his victory in the first game, and nearly falling in the second. I guess it establishes that Rufus is willing to sacrifice his victory to save Deponia in the first, and in the second, he is willing to risk himself for an honest relationship with Goal. The problem is that it doesn't seem to change his behavior in the rest of the story, so it comes off as being a bit arbitrary to me.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010
Ladies and gentlemen, boy and girls, children above the suggest viewing age: Welcome to the exciting conclusion to the Deponia trilogy. Now that E3 is over, the Kings have won the Stanley Cup, and every single tool I use to make and edit this thing is done blowing up, I'm ready to get the ball rolling on what will come to be known forever as "An LP of Goodbye Deponia by some guy with a weird anime username."

Let's Play Goodbye Deponia

Rufus. Rufus never changes. 70 hours after the departure of Cletus and a mind-hosed Donna, he's back to ruining things. But now, the fate of Deponia and Elysium rest on his broad, kinda mushy, and extremely injured shoulders. Join me as I click on things then watch Rufus cause grave injury or damage to them, depending on level of sentience. Then I slap some half-assed snarky subtitles on and call it an LP. You've followed it this far, you're probably in for the long haul.

YamiNoSenshi fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jun 18, 2014

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Well, the humor is starting off at its classiest, I see. Honestly, I think an editor would have done well for the writing of this series.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
What sort of fan of Rufus would commit the grave mistake of having a flammable coat as part of their heroic ensemble? :colbert:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I have no idea what's your problem with the melody. Its singular flaw is that it isn't the junk crab mating song.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, seeing how Rufus responds to a fan, I have to wonder why Cletus never just comprehensively distracted him with flattery.

Other than, you know, having to flatter Rufus.

...objection withdrawn.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
It didn't exactly work out well for that guy either.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010
This does not count as missing a Tuesday update because the forums were down. It does count because I labeled everything for this as episode 3 and couldn't let that mistake slide so I had to fix it today. Then I realized I called Bozo's cutter a car and stopped caring anyway. Here's an update. It has a spooky ghost.

And the first of many unlockable platypuses. Platypi. Duck beavers.

YamiNoSenshi fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jun 26, 2014

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Aww, look at its cutesy little spikes. It's trying to menace with them.
I wouldn't be surprised if getting Rufus to shower turns out to be the most complicated puzzle of them all.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Jun 26, 2014

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Platypodes.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

I'm glad Doc and Co are finally figuring out how to productively deal with Rufus. Anyway, this hotel is looking to be promising with all the weirdness going on.

Panboy
May 20, 2010

Le'me tell ya'll about them Apples.

Ramos posted:

I'm glad Doc and Co are finally figuring out how to productively deal with Rufus. Anyway, this hotel is looking to be promising with all the weirdness going on.

You know Rufus is going to find that thing they asked for, he has too hes Rufus the laws of reality bend to his will and create nonsense to appease him.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Panboy posted:

You know Rufus is going to find that thing they asked for, he has too hes Rufus the laws of reality bend to his will and create nonsense to appease him.

Oh, we already knew that. Still, it'll take him a few hours at the least for sure.

Ben Kasack
Dec 27, 2010

Panboy posted:

That's not the point. It's to get him out of the way and make sure they can get things done WITHOUT his "help".

Ramos posted:

Oh, we already knew that. Still, it'll take him a few hours at the least for sure.

Exactly! And if Doc can't get Goal back together by then well, he's not as awesome as he thinks he is.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010
I've got nothing funny, witty, or insightful to say. So here's an update, I hope you enjoy it.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
This is by far my least favorite part of the entire trilogy. I think the mood is a bit too dark, and the game even comes clear and tells you this part is just filler. Shame, because I like the rest of this episode. It is impossible to see the problems before the solutions (IIRC, we are bugging Bozo to get his towel in case anybody is wondering - a towel we need for reasons). I totally switched off the heat before even talking to Bozo because it was there and needed fiddling with. This kind of thing happens all the time in this part, which leaves it looking like a mess afterwards.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh god. Here I was hoping we'd just get caught up in cult bullshit and Rufus was playing the canny protagonist for no reason whatsoever. But no, this apparently is what we're doing.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Glazius posted:

Oh god. Here I was hoping we'd just get caught up in cult bullshit and Rufus was playing the canny protagonist for no reason whatsoever. But no, this apparently is what we're doing.

What are you talking about? Rufus is practically the second coming of Jesus. If Jesus was immoral, egotistical, and constantly destructive at every waking moment of the day. Of course he'd be involved in some cults.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

klafbang posted:

(IIRC, we are bugging Bozo to get his towel in case anybody is wondering - a towel we need for reasons)

Yeah, that came across clearly. I figure we're grabbing the towel to hand to the time traveler, since it's softer than the sandpaper in the bathroom. Either that... or we're going to steal the money and give that to the dude.

I really hope it's not the second one. I realize Rufus has basically no concept of value, but watching him hand over a sack of money so a dude can literally wipe his butt with it will make me cringe.

Or hell, comedy answer, maybe Rufus will somehow steal the Pelican and hand that over to the time traveler. :v:

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Nemo Somen posted:

While the game definitely shits on Rufus for being such an rear end, but, from the two games we've seen so far, I don't really feel like he has improved his ways. I really hope the third of the series somehow handles the issue because if he stays a shitbag to the end, I can't imagine how the ultimate ending will be enjoyable for the audience. I don't even think a "Oh, that's so silly, Rufus" ending would work.

Rufus' character development is all over the place. There are parts of Chaos where he seems to be improving, but then in other parts he backslides horribly. I really feel like the trilogy was originally supposed to just be a single game, but as they wrote the whole thing got a little out of control; and, in expanding and rewriting and whatnot, they recycled puzzles from earlier drafts instead of coming up with new ones appropriate for where they fell in the story. Like, I feel like when Rufus robs the hobo compared to when Rufus keeps getting struck by lightning illustrate my point pretty well. The solution to the lightning problem is flagrantly Deponia 1; Rufus is transparently and callously setting Goal up to take a hit for his benefit, and if you have the wrong persona installed Goal even calls him out on it, point blank. The entire situation with the hobo seems like it's where Rufus is "supposed" to be as a character at this point in the story; throughout the whole process, Rufus genuinely thinks he's helping this guy out. Something about his experiences since he knocked Goal unconscious and started this whole mess made him want to be a better, more thoughtful person. The outcome isn't hugely different but, by the undemanding bar set by Rufus at the beginning of the story, this is already a huge distinction. If we could see this consistently progressing over the course of the story instead of jumping around at random, Rufus might be halfway to redeemable by the end of Goodbye. As it is I think we'll be lucky if an ending that turns out even a little well for Rufus is in any way satisfying.

Ramos posted:

Well, the humor is starting off at its classiest, I see. Honestly, I think an editor would have done well for the writing of this series.

I read a review about this installment a while back and they felt it was only fair to warn us-the worst is yet to come. Like much of the questionable poo poo the series has done so far from an ethics and sensitivity perspective might possibly get a grudging "you get off with a warning this time but don't let me catch you again", but this is pretty unforgivable from the get-go.

I guess what I'm saying is that it could have used two or three editors working in concert, possibly hitting Jan around the head from time to time.

Brovstin
Nov 2, 2012

Dr. Buttass posted:

I really feel like the trilogy was originally supposed to just be a single game, but as they wrote the whole thing got a little out of control; and, in expanding and rewriting and whatnot, they recycled puzzles from earlier drafts instead of coming up with new ones appropriate for where they fell in the story.

One of the interviews with the developer indicate that's pretty much what happened.

Brovstin fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jul 11, 2014

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010
What's that, computer? Blue screening 91% of the way through the render sounds awesome? Well, don't let me stop you.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Wait, so do you need Rufus and the clothes to come out at the exact same time or just have both of them out of the machine?

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Does anyone who can speak German take a stab at the joke that was localized away? (Poorly, that lampshaded not-joke was not very funny.)

I'm really hoping Rufas keeps getting what's coming to him. :3:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I would do it, but I don't have the game installed right now. I could try to translate that attempt of a joke though. I really don't remember a good joke being there and I have no clue what kind of joke you could even make at that point.

Maybe there wasn't one in the first place and Rufus is just messing with the English audience.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

anilEhilated posted:

Wait, so do you need Rufus and the clothes to come out at the exact same time or just have both of them out of the machine?

Same diff. The only way for Rufus and the clothes to be out of the machine at the same time is for them to come out at the same time. Rufus stops in every machine, and the other three things stop in the first three machines, so if you send him in, and then everything but the clothes, you're gonna hit equilibrium and sending in the clothes is the only way to get him back out.

Air is lava! posted:

Maybe there wasn't one in the first place and Rufus is just messing with the English audience.

I just kind of assumed that in German, "bedsheet" rhymes with "peeping tom".

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010
I'm still working on the episode proper, but if somebody with more than 3 years of high school German wants to take a stab at it, here's that section with German audio and captions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avAis82pFEk

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

The joke is just that he calls it a "Spannbettlaken"(fitted sheet, and sparing us the dreaded triple t by not using "tuch") with "Spanner" meaning peeping Tom.

But even if it's just me having gotten used to the english voice I really hate Rufus' original one.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Ouch! Why did I not remember that one?

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Last Transmission posted:

The joke is just that he calls it a "Spannbettlaken"(fitted sheet, and sparing us the dreaded triple t by not using "tuch") with "Spanner" meaning peeping Tom.

Oh my God you mean I was right?

That's terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

Dr. Buttass posted:

Oh my God you mean I was right?

That's terrible.

Between that and Captain Bravo being right about what Rufus does with the cash, I'm starting to think you've all played this already.

• Locked thread