Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
As someone unfortunate enough to both get genuinely interested where the story goes and being completely terrible at adventure games, watching the hell out of this.

I guess zapping Rufus after putting up with all his poo poo for two games has to feel pretty cathartic.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Apr 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Those dolphins aren't long for this world, are they.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, Rufus has a pretty long history of animal abuse, I don't know why dolphins should be anything special. I may be a bad person but that scene does make me crack up.

Goal not having a nose really freaks me out. It's not so bad in the main game but it really shows in the close-up cutscenes.

Also, the gasoline line is actually a reference to another Daedalic point'n'click adventure game, Chains of Satinav. I'm hearing it's pretty good.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
So why did we have to straighten the banana?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Welp, way to miss it. I blame the fact it comes right after a Schrödinger's cat joke, this game's relationship to humor is positively schizophrenic.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Oh, the game definitely is charming. I'd imagine that jokes that don't work are the ones revolving around animal violence - but hey, I laughed at the baby dolphin sequence so I guess it depends on how much of a terrible person you are.

It's kinda surprising it doesn't get much attention here, but then again, adventure games don't seem to generate much traffic - look at the Discworld Noir thread and that's based on a bestselling book series.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

NeoAnjou posted:

Erm, well - at times. The first spunky Goal plotline I thought was down-right misogynistic - didn't it basically imply that women are superficial fools who are only after men with big muscles?

They're all stereotypes, pretty much. I wouldn't draw any generalizations from this game's characters.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
To be fair he as much as tells you that hobos eat shoes, same with the lightning rod components. If anything, this looks a lot easier to solve than most of the stuff the first game threw at you - when I originally tried playing that, I gave up on the telephone lines puzzle. Those loving pigeons.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
That's a pretty cool twist on the teleporter maze. I'm assuming we can add telefragging a platypus into Rufus' ever-growing list of animal crimes?
Gotta say I love Doc's little catharsis especially given his attitude at the beginning of the game.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I don't know, it was definitely more climactic than the first one. But that seems to be true of this game as a whole; I enjoyed both the plot and jokes a lot more.

Of course, let's not forget that most of this game wouldn't have happened if Rufus could refuse a free lollipop. I find it puts things in perspective.

(As possibly the only actual viewer here) Looking forward to the third one!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the Goal pinup is pretty terrible. I still maintain the game isn't too bad about handling the characters: it's clear from the start it's absurd and it's not like cartoons don't get pretty brutal from time to time - it's just part of the style and the game never lets you think it's taking itself seriously.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I have no idea what's your problem with the melody. Its singular flaw is that it isn't the junk crab mating song.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Aww, look at its cutesy little spikes. It's trying to menace with them.
I wouldn't be surprised if getting Rufus to shower turns out to be the most complicated puzzle of them all.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Jun 26, 2014

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Wait, so do you need Rufus and the clothes to come out at the exact same time or just have both of them out of the machine?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
So how does the door puzzle work? Everyone follows a set pattern and you choosing a door changes the time spent?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Can't really blame you for skipping the camera puzzle the first time around, that thing looks obnoxious as hell. The coffee trail sequence is pretty drat cool though.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Have to give them props for the last plot twist, didn't see it coming and it explains quite a lot. Still have to wonder how Rufus ended on Deponia, though.

And no, I don't think we're supposed to like him, definitely at this point. He's essentially a parody of an adventure game protagonist, good as a stab at the genre but in order to make that work he pretty much has to be a complete rear end in a top hat.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
And that's how a vampire platypus saved Deponia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The one time someone tells Rufus what we're all thinking, he back down on it. Oh well.
I still maintain that the music-related jokes are the best part of the series. I've been going "I just sat on a thiiiiiistle!" in random moments for the last two hours. Besides, let's face it, it's a pretty accurate representation of lyrics in musicals.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Oct 22, 2014

• Locked thread