Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

If the new F4 movie doesn't bomb and end up with the rights going back to Marvel I'll be really surprised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gatts posted:

Like is Uatu an FF character?

Probably, outside of this he's really only been a major character in FF stuff. Galactus has more ties to other characters probably.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Am I the only one who is going to miss Uatu? I liked the guy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Baron Bifford posted:

Am I the only one who is going to miss Uatu? I liked the guy.

Give it a couple of years and he'll be back.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Pfft years? Try half a year or less, most of Aaron's big changes have had the shelf life of a banana under a heat lamp.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

SirDan3k posted:

Pfft years? Try half a year or less, most of Aaron's big changes have had the shelf life of a banana under a heat lamp.

The Schism has been going on for a couple of years at this point.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

TheJoker138 posted:

If the new F4 movie doesn't bomb and end up with the rights going back to Marvel I'll be really surprised.

They announced production of a second F4 movie before they finished filming the first one, this is a pipe dream. For some of these studios, the only thing worse than a movie bombing is losing the rights to a property to Disney.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

SirDan3k posted:

Such as?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
The watcher had a kid right before he died so maybe the kid will take his place. Or maybe Uatu will just come back because he can.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

TheJoker138 posted:

As much as I would love to see this, there will never be a good Fantastic Four movie regardless of who owns the rights.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

As much as I would love to see this, there will never be a good Fantastic Four movie regardless of who owns the rights.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Yes a Fantastic Four movie would be great if Reed was Homer.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

He basically rewrote the Ghost Rider mythos and that as well as the whole set up he put in place was dropped as soon as he was off the book.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Uatu isn't really important enough that it's inconceivable to think he'll stay dead a while.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
In the last issue of Original Sin, Uatu says he has "seen too much" and allows Fury to kill him. Is it specifically Fury's crimes that made him lose the will to live?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Baron Bifford posted:

In the last issue of Original Sin, Uatu says he has "seen too much" and allows Fury to kill him. Is it specifically Fury's crimes that made him lose the will to live?

No since Fury has been doing it for a long time and he has been aware of it.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
So Uatu allowed himself to be killed because he didn't want to kill in self-defense?

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Baron Bifford posted:

So Uatu allowed himself to be killed because he didn't want to kill in self-defense?

Self-defense counts as interfering. But being murdered is also interfering. The entire thing was just a ruse to get Fury to tape Uatu's favorite shows while he's on vacation. This doesn't count as interfering to the Watchers because it's basically setting their DVR.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Uatu is dead? No, Uatu is a dead beat dad.

Honey I'm pregnant!

Oh..uh, whoops totally accidentataly set my own murder gotta go bye!

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Bar Crow posted:

Self-defense counts as interfering. But being murdered is also interfering.
If the Watchers won't even fight to defend their own lives, then they would have been wiped out ages ago. There are plenty of people in the cosmos who don't like being spied upon, even by a race of Watchers who swear non-interference. There are also those who would love to twist a Watcher's arm to get information. The Watchers must be prepared to do some interference to be allowed to watch at all.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Sep 9, 2014

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I totally read that a bit differently. The Watcher got his place busted into and he didn't defend his WMDs or his eye. Fury shows up and sees this and is all "WTF, why didn't you stop these crazies!" Then Fury realizes that Uata chose not interefere and makes the connection that his eye contains his knowledge, and gets really loving pissed off at him for not acting, plus a little self-righteous/greedy because he realizes with the Watcher's eye he could defend Earth even better. Watcher realizes what Fury realizes and pushes him to do it by forcing Fury to kill him. It was like 50% suicide 50% self defense. The only reason I say suicide is because he had foreknowledge of the event.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Weird. Watchers are weird.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Of course, if Uatu were really ever down with the whole non-interference thing, he'd at least go and cloak his house and not just leave it sittin' there on the moon where anyone can just pop in and have a barbecue. poo poo, at least put your superweapons on Mars if you insist on not locking your doors/hiding, that'd at least put 'em somewhere where people would need a super-science ship to reach you. Any ol' schmoe can reach the moon these days :rolleyes:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

TwoPair posted:

Of course, if Uatu were really ever down with the whole non-interference thing, he'd at least go and cloak his house and not just leave it sittin' there on the moon where anyone can just pop in and have a barbecue. poo poo, at least put your superweapons on Mars if you insist on not locking your doors/hiding, that'd at least put 'em somewhere where people would need a super-science ship to reach you. Any ol' schmoe can reach the moon these days :rolleyes:

If Uatu was ever really down with the non-interference thing, none of us would know who he was. He gave the Fantastic Four the Ultimate Nullifier in one of his earliest appearences, if that isn't interfering I don't know what is.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

So the LMD space base disappeared off panel, Not Quite Marvel Max Fury is now Watcher. Does anyone else feel like we are now going to have a bunch of LMDs of Fury running around everywhere being proactive and poo poo under the guidance of Old Man Watcher Fury? I mean he wouldn't be interfering not really, plus he isn't beholden to the original's race decision of not interfering. It almost feels like the time Half Jordan became The Spectre and he's around visiting saying he can't interfere, but his squad of LMDs and Bucky are everywhere killing the poo poo out of poo poo! There's going to be some kind of event where he flips the bird at the other watchers starts some war and they get fed up and give him back his youth and relieve him of said duties cause he'd be such a pain in the rear end.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Skwirl posted:

If Uatu was ever really down with the non-interference thing, none of us would know who he was. He gave the Fantastic Four the Ultimate Nullifier in one of his earliest appearences, if that isn't interfering I don't know what is.

That was the entire point of the Watcher in that story. He broke his vow because he didn't want Galactus destroying Earth. You later find out in Thor that Uatu felt responsible for Galactus because he found him before he was fully formed, and didn't choose to end him when he had the chance.

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.
Isn't the entire deal for Galactus that killing him would be even worse for the universe?

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Kaleidoscope posted:

Isn't the entire deal for Galactus that killing him would be even worse for the universe?

That's still a lot of bodies for the health of the universe. People freak out over Namor killing one earth Galactus has eaten countless earth level planets.

Psychlone
Sep 3, 2004

It's never straight up and down!

Gavok posted:

Also, Deadpool's daughter is still alive and, while we don't know the details, Deadpool killed his own parents.

Also, Nova's father is still alive and was an evil, thieving Black Nova. Though not really, as revealed in the latest issue of Nova

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Kaleidoscope posted:

I think it's a bit stupid that Galactus must be depicted as some force of nature who plays some essential role in the cosmic order and thus must accepted. I think it's because it's a bit disturbing for us humans to conceive a predator above us on the food chain. Is an anteater a great cosmic force to an ant colony? Galactus is just a big predator and Reed should never have passed up his opportunities to destroy Galactus.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Baron Bifford posted:

Galactus is just a big predator and Reed should never have passed up his opportunities to destroy Galactus.

Reed would be dead without Galactus. And Franklin has him behaving.

Hell, he's not even in our universe anymore.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Baron Bifford posted:

I think it's a bit stupid that Galactus must be depicted as some force of nature who plays some essential role in the cosmic order and thus must accepted. I think it's because it's a bit disturbing for us humans to conceive a predator above us on the food chain. Is an anteater a great cosmic force to an ant colony? Galactus is just a big predator and Reed should never have passed up his opportunities to destroy Galactus.

Well, it's a product of human beings needing to play an essential role in the cosmic order.

But aside from that, I don't think it's any kind of mystic universal balancing stuff, it still makes sense using the predator on the food chain analogy. He just happens to be a very old and pretty wise predator. Ants can't reason with others and neither can anteaters, but humans and Galactuses can. He's still a cosmic level force to us, but he's not mindless. I don't think it's absurd to imagine that he could be reasoned with. The Celestials always seemed far more intrinsically fundamental to the MU and inconceivable to humans.

I also think he was being truthful with the Galactus Seed stuff in FF, albeit with a healthy dose of vested self-preservation. Another younger and more reckless Galactus will take his place eventually. You can read that as some sort of fated cosmic balance stuff too, but I think it can work with the predator stuff too. Maybe the universe can support one apex Galactus at a time and the prey is better off with a status quo they understand. You don't want to kill off your Mufasa and get a Scar.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Ror posted:

Another younger and more reckless Galactus will take his place eventually.

"gently caress YOU FRANKLIN RICHARDS, I AIN'T YOUR HERALD"

*turns giant pink hat sideways, skateboards away from Earth*

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
I don't know if it's still canon or whatever but in the first Galactus story ever Uatu mentioned that Galactus can't lie.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Web Jew.0 posted:

I don't know if it's still canon or whatever but in the first Galactus story ever Uatu mentioned that Galactus can't lie.

I'm now wondering situations in which Galactus would ever need to lie.

"I mean it, Luke. I forgot your money in my ship. I'll have it next month"

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Without Galactus, the Annihilation Wave would have conquered the universe.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Annihilation Wave couldn't even defeat the Kree.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

So Original Sin: Thor & Loki kinda ends with a dud, and was kinda hoping it would have revealed what made Thor so unworthy. Also Uncanny X-Men tie in is just loving trolling in how it just keeps going and going it's almost as bad as some Mangas.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Jiro posted:

So Original Sin: Thor & Loki kinda ends with a dud, and was kinda hoping it would have revealed what made Thor so unworthy.

It was not revealed in Thor 25?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

bobkatt013 posted:

It was not revealed in Thor 25?

Nope. I'm guessing it's going to be a slow burn reveal.

• Locked thread